A Few Questions Concerning OTR and New Audio Formats

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Few Questions Concerning OTR and New Audio Formats

Post by Space Cadet on 12/12/2017, 6:56 pm

Hi Folks,

While I stay pretty much in the background, I am always watching over the place and looking for ways to meet the needs of the group and the hobby. I've noticed a definite interest in collecting in FLAC format and considered adding a sub-forum for collecting in that format. But having been through the various frustrations of determining what is an HQ audio file in the past, I've been a bit hesitant. And not being an audio expert, I'm not even sure that I can ask the right questions. So, here goes...

1) Is there enough interest, to justify a dedicated area to shows in FLAC format?
2) Should there be a set of standards, as to the quality of the shows shared there?
3) Is anyone doing initial encodes in FLAC, or are all of the available FLAC files just conversions from MP3?
4) Is it actually detrimental to the hobby in the long term, to attempt this at this time?
5) What aspects have I overlooked?
6) Will Space Cadet's latest harebrained idea give Nightkey a minor coronary, due to trying to correct the many errors, which are sure to appear? (I've been trying to avoid that for most of the last decade.)

Let's not forget. If you're truly involved in this hobby, you're attempting to preserve these shows for future generations. There's a biggest bestest newest hot diggity format, about every 8 to 10 years. And every conversion, tends to lose quality on some level.

Feel free to debate, ridicule or ignore this post.

Space
Space Cadet
Admin

View user profile http://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: A Few Questions Concerning OTR and New Audio Formats

Post by mstevens90 on 12/12/2017, 9:30 pm

My flac files are from CD and and not mp3 files

mstevens90

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket on 12/12/2017, 11:45 pm

greybelt wanted to add a thank you button so he could track who is interested in his shows. I think it's a good idea any help
thank you
kdmarket

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kschriever on 12/16/2017, 10:30 am

1) Is there enough interest, to justify a dedicated area to shows in FLAC format?
2) Should there be a set of standards, as to the quality of the shows shared there?
3) Is anyone doing initial encodes in FLAC, or are all of the available FLAC files just conversions from MP3?
4) Is it actually detrimental to the hobby in the long term, to attempt this at this time?
5) What aspects have I overlooked?
6) Will Space Cadet's latest harebrained idea give Nightkey a minor coronary, due to trying to correct the many errors, which are sure to appear? (I've been trying to avoid that for most of the last decade.)

Space[/quote]

Space,
Seems like you deserve an fuller attempt at answers here... so while not really qualified to do a well-informed and thorough job, I'd offer this:

FLAC is by definition a "lossless" format... thus my understanding would be that the full detail of whatever audio content is fed IN to the FLAC conversion effort will also be present on the finished product. As with MP3 and any other digital format we've used, the rule would be "garbage in, garbage out".

Pretty much the only material I can think of that would qualify for conversion to FLAC would be either audio recorded straight from a transcription disc, CD audio/ WAV file formats which incorporate full intact audio, or perhaps tape media that is known to contain first generation audio. Just as only naifs and liars would convert a 32kb MP3 to a 256kb MP3 and expect anything better than the original, same is true here. And we can police/prevent misuse of the format in exactly the same ways as we could with "upcoding" MP3s... we CAN'T. We can just try to be well-enough informed not to be part of the problem.

It's certainly not detrimental to anything to have more FLAC files made available. In the best cases, we'll have access to meaningfully enriched sound quality. For most folks, internet speeds have gotten faster in recent years and the cost of storing these larger file formats has dropped, so it's financially not as unreasonable a collecting option as it was a few years ago. There's no reason to "segregate" or treat this material any differently for Cobalt purposes than we did MP3s, especially as we're no longer facilitating file storage on the site.

And finally, it would be nice if we could just allow the use of lossless file formats to proceed as a gradual, evolutionary step. Celebrating it as some sort of magic elixir (or fearing it as a new and maybe dangerous species) has little value here... particularly where OTR material is concerned. It's definitely a desirable "next state" that a lot of us will want to take increasing advantage of where warranted... having our files in "best possible" quality is always a good thing. But that said, I know I am ALWAYS going to have a massive component of my collection that I'm not able to improve past the 32kb stuff I have, and that's going to have to be OK too. Much of what we listen to here only improves marginally for most ears much past 128/192/256 kb quality anyway.

Coda: in your role as moderator, please feel free to vilify any guy who responds to a posting of an MP3 file here with "do you have that file or series in FLAC?". When someone offers you a roast beef sandwich for nothing, you don't ask if you could possibly have an inch-thick ribeye smothered in mushrooms instead. You say "thank you for the sandwich".

Hope this helps....

kschriever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 12/18/2017, 6:33 pm

kschriever, I'm sorry for the delayed response. It's been a hectic last few days in my "real" world.

We're pretty much in agreement on the subject. I'm not really eager to clutter the board with separate areas for different file formats. But I do want the board to remain relevant to the group's members. That was my major reason for asking. Personally, I have yet to be convinced that the term lossless isn't more of a marketing ploy than a reality. But I hope to find that it's truly lossless. Having been a low level techno-geek for most of the past 40 or so years, I've seem many promises which failed the test of time or were quickly supplanted by the next biggest bestest promise of futuristic nirvana.

As for unreasonable requests from other members... If you know the history of how this board came to be, in it's current form, then you know that I've gone to great lengths to keep this little OTR family together. Some of us have been together for well over a decade. And I'm very protective of our little family. I don't believe in publicly shaming people, for what was probably a "newbie" mistake. But I don't expect our members to be used or abused. So...

This is an open invitation to every member of The Cobalt Club:

If you feel that you are being abused by another member, feel free to send me or Quickdraw Ghemrats a PM, directing us to the infraction. We'll be more than happy to correct their ways "off board". And if that fails to correct the error of their ways, they will probably find that their key to the Private Entrance no longer works.

Space
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 12/18/2017, 7:34 pm

Dear Mr. Cadet,
I feel I must in the most strenuous terms object to the microaggressive behavior your last missive employed. As the Right Brigadier Admiral Annie Lennox proclaimed, "Some of them want to use you, some of them want to be abused, some of them want to abuse you, some of them want to be abused by you."

So your directive suggesting we should contact you if abuse is discerned, I find abusive. I demand the immediate creation of a Safe Zone where we can be promised a futuristic nirvana wherein we will never hear Kurt Cobain warble.

I remain, yours very truly,
Right Reverend Dr. Mr. Ghemrats J. DeBosco Degamma (Mrs.)

Mad

(Things were getting so serious here. . . .)

ghemrats

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 12/18/2017, 11:56 pm

ghemrats wrote:Dear Mr. Cadet,
I feel I must in the most strenuous terms object to the microaggressive behavior your last missive employed.  As the Right Brigadier Admiral Annie Lennox proclaimed, "Some of them want to use you, some of them want to be abused, some of them want to abuse you, some of them want to be abused by you."

So your directive suggesting we should contact you if abuse is discerned, I find abusive.  I demand the immediate creation of a Safe Zone where we can be promised a futuristic nirvana wherein we will never hear Kurt Cobain warble.

I remain, yours very truly,
Right Reverend Dr. Mr. Ghemrats J. DeBosco Degamma (Mrs.)

Mad

(Things were getting so serious here. . . .)

SAFE SPACES??? I remember a time, we were more likely to be found plunderin' the Waste Spaces... Speakin' of which... I think it's high time I dragged the Star Rover out of the hanger, we dig Mars outta whichever dive he's hauntin' and hoist up the Jolly Roger. I'm thinkin' maybe we need a quick jaunt to Barsoom and rescue a few damsels in in distress. Or maybe distress a few damsels. We'll spend the whole week tossin' back copious flaggons of Romulan Ale and blastin' baddies. All to the theme song of The World Adventurers Club.

Luckily, we can use the space warp in the basement to access the old weapons cave. But we'll have to exercise a bit of caution inside the weapons cave. The Thing on the Fourble Board is still loose in there some place.

Space
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kschriever on 12/19/2017, 9:59 am

Oh, gracious. Did I say "vilify"? I meant "verify", as in very politely inquiring "I am so sorry, but did you REALLY mean to post that particular request?". From now on I plan to reduce the risk of miscommunication/misunderstanding by keep my missives to 140 characters or less... don't see how you could do much damage in so little space, right?

kschriever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 12/19/2017, 2:51 pm

No worries, Space. I have a special. . . relationship with the Fourble Border. Or is it boarder? Let's pull Niles out of retirement and get blasting.
Jeff

ghemrats

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 12/19/2017, 6:16 pm

kschriever wrote:Oh, gracious.  Did I say "vilify"?  I meant "verify", as in very politely inquiring "I am so sorry, but did you REALLY mean to post that particular request?".  From now on I plan to reduce the risk of miscommunication/misunderstanding by keep my missives to 140 characters or less... don't see how you could do much damage in so little space, right?

Nah... I wouldn't worry about it. I've been known to be misunderstood usin' just 14 letters and three words.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Space
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 12/19/2017, 6:17 pm

ghemrats wrote:No worries, Space.  I have a special. . . relationship with the Fourble Border.  Or is it boarder?  Let's pull Niles out of retirement and get blasting.
Jeff

I'd love to hear from Niles. Just to know that he's alright.

Space
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top