Suspense Upgrades

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Re: Suspense Upgrades

Post by chasedad on 9/17/2018, 10:33 pm

greybelt wrote:THIS IS WHY I LOVE COBALT!!

Yes indeed it is the same script!!

Chasedad -- please send me a PM

Glad to be of help! Tried sending you a PM but got a message saying I hadn't reached my post limit so I was unable to do so.

Since you also seem to be interested in acquiring scripts for the missing episodes: there's an anthology of writings by John Dickson Carr called "Door to Doom" which contains several of his radio scripts, including "The Phantom Archer" and "The Hangman Won't Wait". Paperback copies are available through Amazon and Ebay for only a few dollars.

chasedad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chasedad on 9/18/2018, 8:05 am

greybelt,

Argh! I got your PM and want to reply but I'm continuing to get that message about not having reached the post limit before I can send a PM or reply to one. Anyone know how many posts I need to make before I can access this?

chasedad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 9/18/2018, 8:29 am

I you purchased "Suspense Collector's Companion - 2019" download this update note (1 page) to keep with your book. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

CHASEDAD -- look for a new PM from me re your problem sending a PM
greybelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 9/19/2018, 6:02 am

Mission of the Betta remains a missing single-performance of Suspense.

From the November 11, 1951 Shreveport Times

Because of a recently acquired script, we now know the author: "Christopher Anthony." This is a pseudonym of William N. Robson.

Some very lucky research thanks to Google led us to find out that Mission of the Betta used part of a script from a program Robson was deeply involved in, Man Behind the Gun.

In 1943, Man Behind the Gun presented Incident in the Pacific about a submarine operation in the Pacific. A repeat 1944 performance is in circulation and is at OTRR Library.

From the March 7, 1943 Des Moines Register
This is the same date as the first broadcast of Incident in the Pacific. Their ages at this time were Robson 37,
Beck and Lovejoy are each 31.

This is a newspaper clipping that summarizes the plotline of the original Man Behind the Gun script.

From the March 3, 1943 Circleville OH Herald

I first heard of Man Behind the Gun when I met Jackson Beck 40 years ago. He said it was his most rewarding radio effort for its support of armed services personnel during WW2. Robson produced and directed in the series, and also wrote some of its scripts. He had great affection for the series and was quite proud of it.

About three pages of dialogue in Mission of the Betta originates from that Incident in the Pacific script. From there the scripts diverge into different plotlines.

Author Neil Verma cites this Man Behind the Gun scene and production technique in his book Theater of the Mind: Imagination, Aesthetics, and American Radio Drama (Amazon [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Verma teaches at Northwestern University.
greybelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 on 9/19/2018, 11:28 am

Gb, GUN was indeed a very good show - and, as mentioned in that last note, a wonderful production technically.
The Gotham Players did a Lost Episode a few years ago; for me, it's the best thing of theirs that I ever heard. And it features one of the last performances by voice actor Jeff David.
- Craig

wich2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 9/22/2018, 8:14 pm

On the OTRR Facebook page, a collector noted that they have the AFRS disc for Fury and Sound, one of the more curious missing episodes of Suspense. Background about the episode is in my book starting on page 111 and ending on page 114.

This particular collector is a noted record and transcription collector. He is seeking Marx brothers material he does not have... and he already has a lot. But there are still many discs and other recordings that he does not have. If I had to guess, You Bet Your Life is not the kind of thing he is looking for. He was a friend of Groucho in his last years and is working on projects about Groucho and the career of the Marx Brothers. If anyone has anything that might pique his interest, or might know about something that could be of interest, please send me a private message.
greybelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom-In-Ohio on 9/23/2018, 11:59 am

Thanks Greybelt & Wich2 for the information and shows. Gun is new to me so I will look it up.

The thing I enjoy best about Cobalt is the knowledge transfer on top of being able to download shows. Thanks again. - Tom

Tom-In-Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 10/15/2018, 8:23 am

AFRS recordings have proven to be very important to the collection of Suspense from completion and sound quality perspectives. So many AFRS/AFRTS discs have surfaced over this past decade that it's hard to keep track of what's available and what might be new to collectors. There is now an online spreadsheet that can help the process. If you run into AFRS/AFRTS discs and all you have is the program number, this can be very helpful in determining if the recording already exists and if it does not, what the likely episode is.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Any additions or suggestions for the spreadsheet are greatly appreciated.
greybelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt Yesterday at 9:20 am

Research sadness in the Greybelt Suspense project: confirmed that missing episode and first Auto-Lite production Last Chance and Death Sentence produced later are not the same Sad

Many steps forward in recent months, and now a biiiigggg step back.

The support and encouragement of Cobaltians in this hour of gloom is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by greybelt on 10/21/2018, 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
greybelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chasedad Yesterday at 10:54 am

greybelt wrote:Research sadness in the Greybelt Suspense project: confirmed that missing episode and first Auto-Lite production Last Chance and Death Sentence produced later are not the same Sad

What information have you uncovered that confirms that they were different scripts?

chasedad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt Yesterday at 11:11 am

After the book's publication, I got the script to Last Chance. And I have now listened side by side, and it's not a match. All the other information I had from show summaries and newspaper descriptions, and some prior research by others pointed to a re-performance. But now we have hard proof that it is not. Rats Sad

At some point I will be able to post the script but it needs some imaging clean-up.
greybelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chasedad Yesterday at 11:17 am

Well, that's kind of an unfortunate development, but it's best to know for sure what the actual broadcast consisted of. And thanks in advance for posting the script!

chasedad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt Yesterday at 7:17 pm

Despite the setback we're plugging away at the keyboard here figuring out curious aspects of the different Suspense eras. William N. Robson was a top radio producer, director, and writer. Unfortunately (for him), or perhaps thankfully (for listeners), he was assigned to produce Suspense while the radio drama world was collapsing around him. The "suits" upstairs at CBS were always cracking down on costs. CBS had some marvelous dramas that it could pull scripts from and produce again. Someone asked me how many scripts were new in the later years, and I guessed that it was half.

This is a preliminary tally of Robson's 147 productions, and the guess was right, original productions exceeding repeat performances by one. There may be some that had title changes or are from other series that might swing it to the other direction.

The discovery of the Casanova one was pure search engine luck, when it came up in researching the Star of Thessaly episode. I've found out more stuff by fortuitous and serendipitous accident than I ever thought possible.

Robson had a series that you usually only see referenced in terms of how it affected the production and casting choices of Gunsmoke. That was a cold war drama Operation Underground that aired from mid-1951 to mid-Spring 1952. It is suspected that some of those scripts may have snuck into the Suspense canon. We already know a The Man Behind the Gun came in through the back door for a brief visit in The Mission of the Betta, and that was a Robson writing effort (under his Christopher Anthony pseudonym).

In the process of searching for info on Operation Underground, which has no logs, no script resources, and no meaningful newspaper mentions, we discovered that Freedom This Way, the Suspense episode from January 27, 1952 was originally named "Flight to the West." That phrase is used often at the time of broadcast as civilians and military personnel from Hungary were fleeing the downside aftermath of the Hungarian Revolution. BTW, the audition program for Operation Underground is in circulation and is titled Operation Danger.

There was a discussion at the Facebook group "Old Time Radio Lovers" about whether or not Sorry, Wrong Number deserved to be held in such high regard. As one might suspect, newer and younger collectors think not. The show is quite dated not just from a technology standpoint (phones? you mean the thing in my pocket that I take pictures with and listen to baseball games and watch videos on?) but also from a context of radio drama content. Audiences are used to seeing subjects of their stories not be saved at the last minute, where when that happened on SWN it was shocking. Some of the folks on the thread started to come around a bit to seeing it from a different perspective. I was never a big fan of the episode, but I do understand and respect it significant change it had on the history of the series and how the franchise expanded to movies and television and recordings and books and... as we know... opera! Smile

Speaking of records, I can find no cast attribution for the Decca records release of SWN. It was a Spier production and you'd have to think he brought sound effects artist Surrey with him, and some of his most reliable cast members. But there's no official credit anywhere. The liner notes mention only Fletcher, Spier, and Moorehead.

SWN had five different titles before Spier gave it its name (hat tip to Don Ramlow for some of these from his research).

• You Can Always Telephone (this one is mentioned in the Decca liner notes)
  • I'm So Nervous
  • She Overheard Death Speaking
  • She Overheard Murder Speaking
  • If at First You Don't Succeed

You get a sense of how big the SWN franchise was becoming from the Stanwyck movie trailer

More to come...
We're less than 2 weeks away from starting to post Suspense upgrades and versions again.
greybelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 Today at 12:50 am

A hearty salute, from one of those FB defenders of Aggie's classic!

wich2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 Today at 12:52 am

P.S. - Re: reuse of scripts...

It can be annoying to voracious collectors today; but back in those pre-rerun days, maybe not so much?

- Craig

wich2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10