Whistler Upgrades - Page 8 Empty Re: Whistler Upgrades

Post by bojim1 on 5/17/2019, 3:47 am

Wonderful!

bojim1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf on 5/27/2019, 5:04 am

Excuse me if it's been addressed before, but I'm going through my WHISTLER collection and often find 2 versions of a show, one with "strange tales of The Whistler" and one "weird tales of The Whistler".... can someone please tell me what the difference is ? Is one a syndicated version or AFRS?

dbf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sagebrush.1 on 5/30/2019, 12:28 pm

Thanks. You never disappoint.

Sagebrush.1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 5/30/2019, 6:46 pm

dbf:
Don't know what that is -- it remains a mystery that I am still trying to track down. It was a Pacific-only show, so there is no issue about east and west coast versions.
greybelt
greybelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KO6BB on 6/6/2019, 7:29 pm

Let's try this again.  Thank you very much for all the Whistler upgrades
73 De Phil,  KO6BB (73 is Ham Radio Lingo for "Best Regards").
KO6BB
KO6BB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 7/16/2019, 11:28 pm

IMPORTANT WHISTLER INFORMATION:

Two program dates have been verified with the help of researcher Karl Schadow. Many of you may be familiar with Karl as a writer of booklets found in Radio Spirits sets. He is a very skilled researcher who practically "lives" in the Library of Congress and National Archives buildings in DC doing all kinds of research. Thankfully, he loves OTR, and finds time to research our beloved era.

For years there was an undated AFRS program in sets with the title "Kaleidoscope." I spent many hours searching for some reference to the program. It is the AFRS version of the network 1945-07-16 Pattern for Terror. AFRS engineers removed the announcement of the episode title in their editing. After that, the recordings match.

There has been a recording of Brief Pause for Murder with Signal Oil commercials for the date 1946-09-11, a date that has always been suspect, impossible to prove or disprove as some California newspapers did list a Whistler broadcast for that day. It has always seemed unlikely that there was. We now know that the correct date for this performance of Brief Pause is 1946-08-26. There was another in 1949.There have been many many logs with Broken Chain for this date. Broken Chain was first broadcast on 1946-05-20. This collector log entry should have raised some suspicions as a repeat of a script so soon after its first broadcast would be very unusual.

Brief Pause for Murder
was done on the WBBM Midwest series (the Meister Brau sponsored run with a studio audience) on 1946-09-08. The non-Pacific Summer replacement series that filled The Jack Carson Show time slot did have a 1946-09-11 presentation of Brief Pause, but that would be a sustaining broadcast. The WBBM is in circulation but the Carson replacement recording is not.

Two mysteries solved!

DBF asked a question about multiple recordings of a single episode where one has "weird tales of The Whistler" and another has "strange tales of The Whistler." There is no explanation I can find. Scripts for this period of the series are not available. So we're left with a quirky aspect of these episodes that makes being a completist so interesting. I wish I had an explanation.

Last edited by greybelt on 7/17/2019, 8:40 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : additional information about other "Brief Pause" broadcasts)
greybelt
greybelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum