Friday Check In

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

Friday Check In - Page 11 Empty Re: Friday Check In

Post by ghemrats on 1/17/2020, 6:28 pm

Holy Moe, is that how it works, Space? I think I'll start donating some of these boxes too. At one point we had two vintage pinball machines, a pool table, ping pong table overlay and I shudder to think how many novels, reel to reels (and four reel to reel machines, only one remaining, though my two Betas still run) and movies--Ai, the movies.

I'm down to roughly 100+ boxes now, and two replacement area rugs (9x10 and larger) are awaiting their final flooring placement, which I now estimate to be just before the turning of the millennium. I just this minute came up from two hours and ten boxes' worth of unpacking. What does one do with 233 empty boxes?

So that's going to be my weekend--that, and watching snow accumulate to six or more inches here. Be still, my beating heart.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 1/17/2020, 6:52 pm

Enjoying the check in's. I got rid of a ton of stuff but not my books or albums, fountain pen collection, old radio's, watches, comic books and a huge collection of mechanics tools from my dad. We collect therefore we are. Ya got keep busy and enjoy some things. Just not so excessively.

So had another casual I run my own show week. Weekend will be walks on the beach with the doggo and low key reading and vinyl listening. I am really digging my new work life. Just doing what I like. The man does not run my show anymore.

Laughed my ass off to a show I found called Neon Joe Werewolf Hunter just hilarious nonsense. One always needs nonsense TV to make you laugh.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan on 1/20/2020, 6:46 pm

Friday came and went and none of us posted! Completely forgot. I was preparing the agenda and Mrs CDM was preparing the menu for our annual Burns Supper, commemorating the Scottish poet. I hail from Newcastle upon Tyne in the north east of England, where the English and the Scottish fought over for centuries. The local dialect includes lots of Scottish words etc and there are a lot of Scottish folk that live in the area. As such, we used to celebrate it.

I found that Texans like the event also and so it has become an annual event for us to host. Coming up Saturday on the bard's birthday.

We also saw two movies last week. 1917 (epic) and Knives Out (hilarious and an awesome plot). Both are well worth seeing.

I'll try to be on time this week. Very Happy
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 1/21/2020, 6:30 pm

Have not seen 1917 yet, enjoyed Knives Out but the gimmick of vomiting wore thin on us very quickly. Shocked that Daniel Craig was so good using that accent. We don't go out to movies often any more, but it was a worthwhile New Year's Day activity for us.

Last weekend had karate class but my injured thumb is annoying since I can't do weapons with it this way. Grrrrrrr.... This coming weekend I get to help supervise rank promotions which can be fun especially as low level belts get all excited about moving up a color. Now that I am more involved in some of the kids classes, when they get promoted it means that I have become a better teacher, and that's one of the key aspects for my own rank advancing. Who woulda thunk?

The Big Story Revealed! https://sites.google.com/view/thestoriesbehindthebigstory/
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 1/24/2020, 11:31 am

Another chill Friday check in. I am starting to feel like a beatnik poet. Its all groovy man. I am keeping it real here down by the ocean. Out for walk with Doggo today. Much exploring done I let him set the pace so we explored loads of trees and grass areas. Met other dogs it was his trip. I have decided that all walks will now be with Blue in charge. I am coming along as his pal on his adventures I enjoyed his route and agenda way more than when I was in charge. I am gonna ride the universe now not at all bothered by anything.

My own work is good way less stress and way better disposition on my part. I may become a life coach. Called "The Chill" gonna speak about flow and peace of mind being centered and f**k the man. Expect to see my 16 disc blueray collection soon.

Way more vinyl and books came so yippeee to that. Watching show called the October Faction on Netflix so far its been okay. Secret org fighting supernaturals. Am reading Neil Pearts Ghost Rider Travels on the Healing Road. Its very good. I am 15 books into 2020. 2019 I read 115 books should blow that number out of the sky this year. Keeping busy doing life and all that jazz.

signing off for now "The Chill"
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 1/24/2020, 1:54 pm

Put me down for the special edition of the Blu-Ray collection, Chillmaster.

Outside of tackling more boxes in the basement and watching a couple films, this weekend will be devoted to a special treat: I have been searching since my college days for print of *Movie Orgy* by Joe Dante, a four-and-one-half-hour extravaganza of film clips and crap jumbled together in seemingly random order, sponsored by Schlitz. It was one of the most dizzying and goofy stints I ever spent in the theater.

And now I have finally tracked down a DVD copy of the whole thing! It arrived this morning from Tirol, Austria and I can't wait to immerse myself in the havoc and splendor of this mish mash.
Color me excited.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan on 1/24/2020, 2:20 pm

That sounds like an absolute winner Jeff! Right up there with the same caliber as the movies currently showing in the Screening Room.

We're now in the final stages of preparation for Burns Night - the food. Lot's of mumbling and grumbling coming from the kitchen so I'm staying away from there at present, only venturing forth on honey-do missions. All will be well tomorrow, or actually after 4:00 pm today when the wine bottle is opened up.

Oh, Seamus - your dog is named Blue? Great name. That's what my daughter picked for her Frenchie.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 1/24/2020, 3:52 pm

Wow, everyone seems to have interestin' stuff to do this weekend. The only excitement I'll have, is killin' a few digital goblins and such playin' Breath of the Wild. I'll watch a movie or few too. And I've been readin' random 20's and 30's issues of Weird Tales. But all of that's pretty standard.

I need another adventure.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

http://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan on 1/31/2020, 6:37 pm

Friday is upon us once again. It's our turn to have a quiet weekend as we have nothing planned and will take things as they come. Have just installed a new cartridge on the old turntable and am about to tackle some ET transfers, not of the phone home variety I might add.

The Burns Supper was a roaring success, which made Mrs. CDM, and therefore myself, very happy. She went to a lot of work to prepare Keto friendly Scottish fare for our friends, many of whom are on that particular diet. It's always a crap shoot with new untested items.

Yesterday we went to see another movie. This time it was 'The Last Full Measure' about the 33 year project to award a posthumous Medal Of Honor. Very moving.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 1/31/2020, 6:53 pm

Thanks for the check in CDM. Meals for poets are always a good thing. Loads of that happening in Ireland. All good fun.

Another chill week for me. Gotta say I am pretty happy with my new work life. Should have done this 10 years ago. Can't believe I stayed on the threadmill so long.

Lots of vinyl this week and more books. Cranking through the books like they going out of style. Last night watched a new Blueray cut of Big Trouble in Little China. HD and pristine. Love that movie so much. Had interviews with Russell and Carpenter which was eye opener explaining out the studio morons did not like the Chinese character of Wang Chi was the actual hero and Jack Burton was the sidekick. Russell and Carpenter wanted it this way made for a fun movie. The extras were really good. Lots of deleted scenes. Also got Book 2 of the graphic novel Big Trouble in Little China a story set after the movie. Very good Carpenter helped write it.

Lots of walks on the beach with the doggo and loads of delicious new recipes tried at home so living large and Charles in charge.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 1/31/2020, 7:16 pm

Pretty much another couch potato weekend for me. Mostly because the weather is gonna be crappy. But I may slide over to Cocoa Beach and visit the Military History Museum. Still tryin' to decide what we'll be able to fit in to the Vegas trip this summer. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but there's nuthin' new about that. This time, it's because I'm thinkin' about tryin' to fit some of this into the visit.
https://www.skycombatace.com/

It wouldn't be the full on hot diggity package deal. But definitely some aerobatics.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 1/31/2020, 8:09 pm

My weekend is pretty staid by everyone else's standards: Just unpacking the last one hundred boxes and gently placing their contents in their reserved spots, taking our pup to have his ears cleaned and nails ground back (they grow back within minutes of clipping, it seems), and catching up on movie intake.

Seamus, my son bought a Christmas present that was delivered the other day--a yellow vinyl pressing of *Witchhazel* by Matt Berry, who is totally new to me; my son says it's great but weird. Rather like me, evidently. And with the pink vinyl pressing of the 50th Anniversary of *Hot Rats* by Zappa, there will be some audio booming in the house.

My main travel these days consists of road trips to Taco Bell and home again. I am quite the gadabout.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 2/7/2020, 11:29 am

Checking in from a wet and blustery Ireland. Deffo not going out in that for our daily walk. I opened the door Blue walked out got rained on and walked past me went upstairs to my office I found him asleep on his couch. Having none of that nonsense.

So had a good work week on my own projects. My new pace is very conducive to happiness. All day long I got the music going. Work gets done and my stress level in about 397% less.

Tonight I say be binging Locke and Key on Netflix we see how that goes. Of course more vinyl came. I will have to remember to jump in the vinyl thread and post some new things.

Gonna be taking some day trips down country now I have the time. So I will post about my adventures so stayed tuned.

Whats everyone else up to?
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan on 2/7/2020, 12:58 pm

Cold weather here also Seamus. Freezing the last two nights, which is not very common here in N. Texas. Snow flurries are enough to cause panic buying by the local populace and schools can be closed just on the basis of there might be bad weather. Pretty funny when you were brought up in the isles over the pond, or the Midwest and New England.

I'm transferring lots of ETs at present - not difficult but VERY time consuming. I try to mix that up with a bit of reading and listening to big band music.

We are having two of the grandchildren over this weekend so that will keep us occupied.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 2/7/2020, 3:34 pm

Snow. Snow falling like precipitation from the sky. Cold temperatures below twenty, but better than twenty below. So this weekend I'll be editing a ten-page write-up on the LPGA for a friend, tackling more boxes--Hallelujah! I have found many of my DVDs to I can write my commentaries without a break--and cleaning.

Some music along the way, a nice vinyl by Lucky Peterson, and perhaps some food. Maslow used my life as a model for his pyramid.

The Joys of suburbia and retirement.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 2/7/2020, 3:59 pm

My only major chore this weekend, is tryin' to teach my sister in-law how to cook. Actually, it's mostly tryin' to up her game. Things like knowin' what temperature Ya need and how to get it (we're talkin' stove-top here). And a long lesson in the importance of buyin' quality spices, instead of that buck a bottle discount store crap she uses.

I suddenly realized, that I need to pick up a couple of pork bellies. That'll be for next weekends project, that I just decided is important. Home cured and apple wood smoked bacon. YUM!
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 2/7/2020, 8:28 pm

Medical stuff here until tomorrow. Looks like the Mrs eye surgery is next week. So that means only one thing: I get laundry training this weekend!!

The Big Story Revealed! https://sites.google.com/view/thestoriesbehindthebigstory/
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 2/14/2020, 3:46 pm

Friday night and its valentines so its Mr. Romance until tomorrow. Its been another chill week. Went for huge walk today with the doggo before the storm hits. Books and vinyl seems to be my week with a liberal dose of radio shows while I work. Really enjoying Black Eyed Blonde a Philip Marlow story written by Benjamin Black an Irish writer. Its really got the right flavour. Hard boiled noir with the right cadence.

Weekends gonna be stormy so I got us supplies to carry us through while we baton down the hatches. I got lots of books and vinyl if the power goes out I got radio shows and junk food so we all good.

I am really enjoying the Picard show anyone else watching. Locke and Key was excellent on Netflix. Whats everyone else doing? reading? watching?
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 2/14/2020, 4:33 pm

Happy VD to all the venerable Cobaltians.

Seamus, I read *Blue Eyed Blonde* when it first hit the stands and liked it. A whole section of my library is devoted to Raymond Chandler, so I get excited when something pays homage to him. Still cannot begin even to entertain the possibility of obtaining a signed edition--I don't live in Fort Knox.

Much new snow and frigid temperatures here, so movies are stacked up like cords of wood, though I have no intention of tossing them in the fire. I've also got a handful of biographies and autobiographies waiting for me--James Garner, Hedy Lemarr, Joi Lansing, a couple Billy Connellys, and Ava Gardner's.

More box opening, perhaps down to the last forty or so. I also just received two CDs (not available on vinyl)--the soundtrack to *Haywire* (commented upon the other day) and a headphone-only autographed copy of Garfunkel and Oates (they are hilarious but seriously not for the ill humored).

Enjoy the chocolates and roses.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 2/15/2020, 8:41 am

Well, it's Saturday mornin' and that means it's time for Friday check in. Valentine's Day can be summed up in two words in my house. And those words are Orange Chicken... YUM!!! Which segues neatly into my only real plans for the weekend. Teachin' my sister-in-law more tricks to upgrade her cookin' game. This week it's the simplicity of Chinese sauces and how to adapt them to other foods.

Whenever I smoke various meats, I never glaze or sauce them. The finished product can stand on it's own and honestly doesn't need it. But I always have at least three home made side sauces available for those who want them. One tomato based, one grape based and one, which can be either orange, lemon, strawberry or lime based. Then there's the one that really freaks em' out, my chocolate/coffee dippin' sauce. That's the only recipe I don't share. HINT!!! The secret is an Asian ingredient.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 2/15/2020, 12:05 pm

Sounds like a buddy of mine from Uni days said to me I will share with you my recipe for hotdogs and beans. Turns out it was hotdogs and beans LOL

I also cook a lot and right now got an Irish stew in the slow cooker and to add insult to injury its Vegan. LOL
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum