The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are We Fighting For Radio Archives D-Day

3 posters

Go down

What Are We Fighting For Radio Archives D-Day Empty What Are We Fighting For Radio Archives D-Day

Post by pnussbaum 5/26/2019, 4:19 pm

I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I'll take another shot at asking a question here. I transcribed nearly the entirety of Edward R. Murrow's West Point speech for What Are We Fighting For from The Radio Archives D-Day set and it is labeled as

June 7, 1944
4:00-4:45 PM
“Broadway Matinee,” “The Wayfaring Stranger” with Burl Ives, news with John Daly including Bill Henry in Washington interviewing a Dutch sailor experienced in mine sweeping and Quincy Howe analyzing the invasion's political implications, followed by “What Are We Fighting For,” #1 of six broadcasts from West Point with guest Edward R. Murrow

I can't confirm that it was rebroadcast after the initial 42-04-02 airing. Does anybody know anything about this?
Thanks, and I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome at the Club.
pnussbaum
pnussbaum

Back to top Go down

What Are We Fighting For Radio Archives D-Day Empty Re: What Are We Fighting For Radio Archives D-Day

Post by kdmarket 5/26/2019, 10:48 pm

WHAT ARE WE FIGHTING FOR

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

What Are We Fighting For Radio Archives D-Day Empty Re: What Are We Fighting For Radio Archives D-Day

Post by pnussbaum 5/27/2019, 10:21 am

Thanks, kdmarket, these are better copies than I now have. My question is was the show really rebroadcast on June 7, 1944? The only sources I can find show it as only broadcast on April 2, 1944. It makes a difference to me as I don't want to include it on my dissertation D-Day chapter if it belongs in 1942, a few months after Pearl Harbor.
pnussbaum
pnussbaum

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 5/27/2019, 3:57 pm

If you're collecting D-Day recordings, here's one from German radio that I don't think is widely circulated.

It's in German (obviously) but contains actual sounds of battle!

PK (Propaganda Kompanien) Report from Normandy, 1944.06.06
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/p0s5cqtcy1lu046/1944.06.06_PK_%2528Propaganda_Kompanien%2529_Report_from_Normandy.mp3/file

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down