The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again!

+11
JazzMan
CompleteDayMan
CRGibson
just_me
kdmarket
Oday450
nightkey
bicho
greybelt
ghemrats
Space Cadet
15 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again!

Post by nightkey 7/7/2016, 6:39 pm

I'm pretty sure I posted this on the old Cobalt database (OCD) and bicho said it was not a radio broadcast. Bicho???

ghemrats wrote:Yes, it's July, so let's harken back to 1951, July 22 to be exact, with some classic live jazz with Charlie Parker and--you gots to be kiddin--Woody Herman and his Third Herd, just to slow things down a mite.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Enjoy.
Jeff
nightkey
nightkey

Back to top Go down

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again!

Post by bicho 7/10/2016, 2:13 pm

nightkey wrote:I'm pretty sure I posted this on the old Cobalt database (OCD) and bicho said it was not a radio broadcast. Bicho???

ghemrats wrote:Yes, it's July, so let's harken back to 1951, July 22 to be exact, with some classic live jazz with Charlie Parker and--you gots to be kiddin--Woody Herman and his Third Herd, just to slow things down a mite.

Enjoy.
Jeff

yes, urbie green, the trombone Player in woody´s band, had a tape recorded under his seat. this is the source of all the recordings that appeard over the years.

bird lives!
Keep boppin´
marcel

bicho

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/5/2019, 6:03 pm

So, I went to the Whale Room, one of my favourite haunts some years ago, but when I arrived at the entrance there were two doors and no brawny bouncers standing outside. I moved towards the door on the left but it disintegrated in a puff of dust, so I opened the door on the right. Wiping the cobwebs and slime off my face I peered into the darkness but all was still. Nothing could be heard but the faint echoes of those glorious big band sounds of yesteryear mingling with the squeaking of the mice rustling around behind the bar. Stepping forward into the room I fell over the prone skeletal body of an old regular patron. Jeff was his name I think. "Where has everyone gone" I yelled at the top of my lungs but there was only silence.

CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzMan 11/5/2019, 9:48 pm

I got side tracked in the Quiet Please Room. Thanks for breathing life into this one. I will join you at some point.

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/6/2019, 10:52 am

Let's see if we can stir it up a little more with a band I like a lot. They played at the Whale Room back in 1945 when it was known as the Club Morocco. I know it was October but I don't recall the exact date.

Boyd Raeburn 1945-10-xx Club Morocco - The Hep Boys
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 11/6/2019, 11:48 am

Hey Yo, whaddaya know, CDMan.  I thought I heard some messin' around here.  Just to clarify, I think you entered The Whale Room via the Harry Folicle Memorial Fallout Shelter, which the original architects created during prohibition to divert the attention of the Feds.  We're upstairs here in the penthouse rooftop annex of the Pequod, jammin' and scammin' with the best sounds our hounds can found.  

So come on up out of the Fallout Shelter.  That skeleton you found were actually Ken Stuckey's Fraud Chicken bones, stored down there by Ma Findley out at the L7 Ranch; she was marinating them for her soup stock in the cool coool coooool of the evening shadows next to the bitter fruit in the Weeds of Criminy Jinx, Melville's vegan restaurant.

But since you're here anyhows, in honor of your impending surfacing from the depths, how's about a little welcome back salute from The Ambassadors of Melodyland.  Hey Barbara ReBop will have a fifth, sixth and seventh of your favored brew ready for you at your old table just to the right of the moosehead.

Thanks for finding your way back here; there's a whole lot of jivin' to do.  1931 Jumps,and Jives again
Enjoy.
Jeff (whose rollin' them bones with the best of 'em)

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by bicho 11/6/2019, 2:37 pm

thanks to open the doors!! i was always under the table at the left Corner still looking for my shoes.......

Keep boppin´
marcel

bicho

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 11/6/2019, 2:42 pm

HOT-CHA-CHA-CHA...
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Location : Been put out to pasture, gone to seed or something like that

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/7/2019, 6:11 am

Cab was sooooooooooo cool. Great clip Space.
Sitting here under the dusty, dirty old moosehead, I was reminded of a number Chick Webb used to play waaay back when.

CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by bicho 11/7/2019, 2:38 pm

CompleteDayMan wrote:Cab was sooooooooooo cool. Great clip Space.
Sitting here under the dusty, dirty old moosehead, I was reminded of a number Chick Webb used to play waaay back when.

this one is a rare one. thanks for this!!

Keep boppin´
marcel

bicho

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 11/7/2019, 2:54 pm

Rarefied, finely fried, not too snide, but filled with pride, Katz and Kittenz, we're back in the cold cold cold of the snowtides today with the lovely and strong-backed Jacqueline Hyde ridin' her plow in to shovel out some space for the cadets railin' and ready for some more jivin'.

So let's start out with Ella, The Ink Spots, The Mills Brothers and Maurice Rocco, on special loan from the Cafe Zanzibar.  Yes, that's right Let's Go Nightclubbing! (45.02.28, 46.01.21 and 46.03.07)

Yowsah yowsah, and Hey Barbara ReBop has your favorite toddy toddled up for you in your favorite table. Clubbing for soda!
Enjoy.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/7/2019, 5:30 pm

Two of those Ambassadors were fills for me. Thanks Ms. ReBop.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/8/2019, 6:55 am

How's about 5 mins of Bunny B thrashing those high notes? You should see what just flew over my head as the clip ended!!

CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by bicho 11/8/2019, 3:53 pm

CompleteDayMan wrote:How's about 5 mins of Bunny B thrashing those high notes? You should see what just flew over my head as the clip ended!!

another wonderful treasure. thanks a lot!

Keep boppin´
marcel

bicho

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 11/8/2019, 4:48 pm

Well, the Bunny can hop with the best of 'em, that's for sure. And even though he can't get started, here's Bunny's remote from September 26, 1939 and a couple Henry Busse shows to toss in the mix.

I see Nanny Annie Booboo just stopped in, fresh from her day job with the Smackmebumm Family. She sure looks like she could use a Buck-Up-BeeBee-Eyes swig of Swampwater. We'll see that she's taken care of just as Danny Richards sings "I Poured My Heart Into a Song." Click here for Bunny And Busse

And remember, folks, Friday Night is Twofer Night at the Whale Room: One drink for two of you served in a Waterford Pineapple with your choice of flower and umbrella. No, it's not Waterford Crystal, Madam--it's a pineapple soaked three days in the Waterford Water Tower down by the water treatment plant, cured for your protection and sheared of all those pesky pricklers on the outside.

Enjoy, Katz and Kittenz.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 11/8/2019, 5:41 pm

Just caught up on this show. In the old days it was a fave thread so so happy to be rolling through jumpin and jiving as I go. Bravo....
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/8/2019, 5:46 pm

ghemrats wrote:

I see Nanny Annie Booboo just stopped in, fresh from her day job with the Smackmebumm Family.  She sure looks like she could use a Buck-Up-BeeBee-Eyes swig of Swampwater.  We'll see that she's taken care of just as Danny Richards sings "I Poured My Heart Into a Song."  

And remember, folks, Friday Night is Twofer Night at the Whale Room: One drink for two of you served in a Waterford Pineapple with your choice of flower and umbrella.  No, it's not Waterford Crystal, Madam--it's a pineapple soaked three days in the Waterford Water Tower down by the water treatment plant, cured for your protection and sheared of all those pesky pricklers on the outside.

Absolutely brilliant!! Where do you get this stuff from, or do you naturally speak this way? If so, I pity your missus. Thanks for the shows.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by bicho 11/8/2019, 6:15 pm

thanks for this Shows. my my neighbors will be amazed when i Play it loud

Keep boppin´
marcel

bicho

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 11/8/2019, 6:26 pm

Cd, I am just a lowly recorder of events at the Whale Room. I writes what I sees, so seize the moment and greet the treat to tap your feet. The Room has a rich history, but herstory is richer so let's let Ella Fitzgerald tell us how she "Got Rhythm" as we borrow her from the Roseland Ballroom.
Ella Ma Bella, yella song for us!
(To answer your question, I can talk like this till the cows come home, but I prefer a more stable environment)
Enjoy, my friend.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/9/2019, 6:20 am

Ah yes, Ella with the twinkling feet and a voice that used to cause ol' Satch to break out in a sweat. Ella, who took over Chick's band when he died waaay too early. Ella, who used to regularly rock the Savoy. What a voice! But I digress, and even more memories have come flooding back. Remember when the Whale Room was converted into a shortwave broadcast station on Guy Fawkes night in 1938, and Tommy, Eddie, Yank, Hot Lips (no, not Hoolihan), Pee Wee, Sidney, Art, Fats and a few of their friends got together and showered the airwaves to jolly old England?

Enjoy this while I slink behind the bar, dust of the old b&w tv and watch the first EPL game of the day.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by bicho 11/10/2019, 10:05 am

thanks, ghemrats (Jeff) and completedayman for bringing back life in the old jump jivin´ whale room.

Keep boppin´
marcel

bicho

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/10/2019, 3:18 pm

You're welcome Marcel.
Let's go back a few years and slow it down a whole bunch. Jazz was still in it's infancy and Swing didn't exist yet. This is a group of 'hep-cats' from 1930 - the band that gave a start to BG, Glenn, Charlie Spivak and Jack T amongst others. Ben Pollock.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 11/10/2019, 4:48 pm

Welllllllll, Katz and Kittenz, the Whale Room has been jumpin' and jivin' like the old days. Hey Barbara ReBop just commented to me that if this keeps up, we'll need to hire in some more help. She was hoping she'd be able to spend a little more time on her Meditation Class with Rama Llama Dhing-Dhong, but at the same time she's excited by all the interest. Our bookkeeper, Debbie Anne Creditz, is almost delirious with the increased clientele.

And tonight we've got something very special. You old timers might recall we had a week-long engagement with Little Jack Little some years back; well, he's back, bringing his own special musical stylings to augment the Ben Polluck appearance, thanks to CD Man.

So without further ado as the dew drops in while prompting a duet of Dooby Dooby Doo, do join Little Jack Little in his first five sets, so get set, and. . . here 'tis. . .
Little Jack Little
Hot Cha Cha practice starts at 7:00.
Enjoy.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by bicho 11/11/2019, 2:48 pm

thanks a lot for such a good Music!

Keep boppin´
marcel

bicho

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/11/2019, 3:45 pm

As the Whale Room creaks back to life, old friends come out of the woodwork and the shadows start to fade awayayay, I thought it appropriate to rock the place some more and to invite a gentleman who came into national prominence on July 16, 1939 when he featured on the Summer Bandwagon show. His name, Van Alexander.

CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next