The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oddball All Hallow's I.D.?

2 posters

Go down

Oddball All Hallow's I.D.? Empty Oddball All Hallow's I.D.?

Post by wich2 9/18/2017, 1:13 pm

Dear Folks -

As a Halloween treat, I'm trying to recreate a better version of this cheap old kid's album:

Oddball All Hallow's I.D.? Cd_gho12

Jerry Haendiges, and several of my software programs, have helped! But no one, including Jerry, seems to be able to I.D. the source of this edited "Haunted House" show. (I've already pegged the truncated FRANKENSTEIN that they bootlegged there.)

To me, it sounds like an ARCHIE or HENRY ALDRICH-type show, and the accents imply NOT NY or L.A.?

Anyone have a guess?

Best,
-Craig

Last edited by wich2 on 11/2/2022, 11:38 am; edited 2 times in total

wich2

Back to top Go down

Oddball All Hallow's I.D.? Empty Re: Oddball All Hallow's I.D.?

Post by JazzMan 10/23/2017, 9:50 pm

Thank you for the Mystery. I was going to guess House of Mystery but after listening to a couple of those... that's not quite it.

I'm inclined to believe this is a Gang of Kids show (Carl, James) as a precursor to Scooby-Doo ("Hope you snoopy kids are satisfied" ~  "Fingers" Alban and other things). I also think this might be a rehearsal because of the lack of any musical effects.

I did catch this much:
Title: "the mystery of the empty house on haunted hill"

Last Note: Regional Programming - The actors involved didn't seem to be of the same caliber as national talent.

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 10/25/2017, 2:10 pm

Dear Jazz -

Thanks for responding.

>I'm inclined to believe this is a Gang of Kids show<

Not sure you mean that was an actual title - or just a description? Can you (or anyone else) guess at possible known series's this might be?

>(Carl, James)<

(???) Again: is that an actual name of someone in radio?

>I also think this might be a rehearsal because of the lack of any musical effects.<

Possible. Or again, just that it's a cheaper and/or local, show.

>Last Note: Regional Programming - The actors involved didn't seem to be of the same caliber as national talent.<

Agreed, as I said above; it does NOT sound NY or LA. Maybe Cincinnati?

Happy Halloween,
-Craig

wich2

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzMan 10/25/2017, 9:10 pm

[quote="wich2"]Dear Jazz -

Thanks for responding.

>I'm inclined to believe this is a Gang of Kids show<

Not sure you mean that was an actual title - or just a description? Can you (or anyone else) guess at possible known series's this might be?

>(Carl, James)<

(???) Again: is that an actual name of someone in radio?

>I also think this might be a rehearsal because of the lack of any musical effects.<

Possible. Or again, just that it's a cheaper and/or local, show.

>Last Note: Regional Programming - The actors involved didn't seem to be of the same caliber as national talent.<

Agreed, as I said above; it does NOT sound NY or LA. Maybe Cincinnati?

Happy Halloween,
-Craig[/quote]

"Gang of Kids show" - again I see a lot of parallels between this show and "Scooby Doo"; Hence a Gang of Kids - not the name.

Having dug into that and knowing how famous Radio is for ripping itself off, I looked up some more info on "Scooby Doo" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063950/trivia.

"Another influence was the 1940s radio drama "I Love a Mystery"; "
"during the show's development, when it was known as "Mystery Five" or "Mysteries Five,"

So I performed an unsuccessful search for "Mystery Five". I may never find anything in Google for a Regional program, but I suspect the series title was a variant of "Mystery Five" ... maybe Mystery Gang (Ha)

Carl and James were two of the names the kids used and I tried that as well in my search.

Maybe Cincy or Pittsburgh or ....

I was sure if I was going to find anything on this it would be for the title:

"the mystery of the empty house on haunted hill" that one of the actors announces twice at the end.

I'm also thinking this was a show that ran in the late 30s/early 40s

Last Note - if this was a failed audition - good luck finding anything [ I will never find anything on Wyllis Coopers Return to the Earth]

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzMan 10/25/2017, 9:28 pm

Spoilers: If you haven't listened to it yet - Go do it now and then come back

So I talked about Scooby Doo. Maybe its because:

At then end, the Ghost and Werewolf turn out to be special effects (like you know who)

I may be making up the gang of kids bit but it seems reasonable (like you know who)

I seem to recall a lot of episodes where the perpetrator turn out to be a thief (do I have to say it) "Fingers" Alban

The clincher was at the end when fingers Alban says "Hope you snoopy kids are satisfied"

Do they have a Mystery [strike]Van[/strike] Machine? (I doubt it)

Do they have a dog? (Listen to the James character)

Your thoughts?

My final Guess for a Series Title: The Mystery Kids

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzMan 10/25/2017, 9:38 pm

and a google search shows...

The Mystery Kids were a pop band that retired years ago. The Mystery Machine acted as their tour bus, and originally belonged to their keyboardist, Flash Flannigan

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 11/2/2022, 11:36 am

Dear Folks -

Hope you're all doing great.

Halloween Week, so I thought I'd run this up the flag pole again...

(Obviously - though not for lack of trying - I have not yet been able to peg the dang thing!)

All best,
- Craig

wich2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum