The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format?

+13
dbf
duhar
eliyahusimlevin
patrickwinn
kdmarket
Buck Benny
pfmurphy
otrhead
mstevens90
Tom-In-Ohio
Space Cadet
JazzMan
keilj_33
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format? Empty Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format?

Post by keilj_33 9/21/2017, 7:45 pm

Greetings:

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC format? I'm trying to collect programs, particularly Suspense, in the best audio quality that I can find in FLAC.

Thanks,
Jeff Keil

keilj_33

Back to top Go down

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format? Empty Re: Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format?

Post by greybelt 9/22/2017, 11:25 am

Flac is starting to appear much more often in the hobby, especially for recordings directly from discs. It's been a notable change in the last 18 months. More collectors are also ripping CDs to flac rather than mp3. It's been slow in coming. I doubt there will be any full Suspense collection in flac for many years.

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format? Empty Re: Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format?

Post by JazzMan 9/22/2017, 7:33 pm

since 2008 when I started looking for source material

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by keilj_33 9/23/2017, 11:43 am

Does anyone want to trade OTR in the FLAC format?

keilj_33

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 9/23/2017, 3:50 pm

yes interested in shows with FLAC format my collection is MP3
kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzMan 9/23/2017, 4:20 pm

jk,

What are you using as your source?

8 Track
Cassette
CD
RTR Tape
LP
VHS
Wire Recordings
Transcriptions

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzMan 9/23/2017, 4:37 pm

Even that could be broken down further; especially for the secondary material (CD, Cassette, LP, VHS, ...) by the generation of that copy and what the source for that was.

As for transcriptions; A Network broadcast would beat an AFRS copy would beat an AFRTS rebroadcast (depending on condition). Few people are doing transcriptions though, so I don't know that there's that much First Generation material around.

For that matter, I could take all of the mp3 files I have and convert them to flac, but I don't see much purpose in that.

Anyway, what's your source?

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 9/23/2017, 5:30 pm

This reminds me of the ongoing conversation, when people started defining HQ copies of shows, as higher bitrate encodes of mp3 files. If you don't know the source, you'll probably get a lot of mp3 to FLAC conversions. Just as then, you got a lot of 16kb and 32kb encodes, which were simply converted to higher bitrates. And those conversions way back then, often degraded the actual sound quality.

I'd love to hear from more of our true in house experts on the subject.

Space
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Location : Been put out to pasture, gone to seed or something like that

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by keilj_33 9/23/2017, 6:27 pm

I have collected OTR on audio CD for about twenty years. I don't collect mp3 and never have. These flac files were ripped by myself from audio CDs. None of them have ever been mp3 files. It is silly to convert an mp3 to flac because you will never get back what you have thrown away when the audio was converted to mp3.

The audio CDs in my collection were received in trades from collectors like Terry Salomonson, Ed Carr, Ted Davenport, and many others. Some were ripped fro CDs from Radio Spirits and Radio Archive.

keilj_33

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzMan 9/23/2017, 6:55 pm

keilj_33 wrote:It is silly to convert an mp3 to flac because you will never get back what you have thrown away when the audio was converted to mp3.

True but it'll happen

Thank you, I do appreciate the answer. And I'll pass.

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by mstevens90 9/23/2017, 8:23 pm

I have a large cd collection. A 30 minute file in flac produces a file size of 96 megs

47-10-16-Kraft Music Hall (256)-Guest - Bing Crosby

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

see above for example in flac

source audio cd fr0m
redmond Nostalga company

and

47-11-20-Kraft Music Hall (261)-Guest - Charles Boyer

mstevens90

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom-In-Ohio 9/23/2017, 9:35 pm

Fortunately, my ears(and eyes) are not that refined that these kinds of things make that much of a difference to me. The troubling aspect of collecting whether audio or video is the constant changing of platforms and the rebuilding of collections that once built is then turned to ashes again. My worthless two cents on the matter. - Tom

Tom-In-Ohio

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 9/24/2017, 1:08 pm

If it's stuff from CDs from collectors that got their files from transcriptions, like Ed Carr, I'm definitely interested. I have a lot of Suspense from discs (and other programs) that I would gladly post in FLAC if there were others doing the same thing. Cobaltia should probably have a separate FLAC thread to do so. But it needs to be worth doing.

As for me, my "everyday" collection is 128kps mp3 and it suits my listening and collecting needs just fine. The reason to push FLAC for disc recordings is that there may be some future innovations in audio processing and you want to have the best file possible to take advantage of that.

I have many disc recordings I would be willing to share -- perhaps this is a way to get the activity level of Cobaltia up again.

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by keilj_33 9/24/2017, 2:42 pm

Greybelt,

Is there an email address that I can contact you at? I am also on LinkedIn if you would rather exchange messages through that site.

Thanks,
Jeff Keil

keilj_33

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 9/24/2017, 3:07 pm

Sending you my contact info in a private message here @ Cobalt

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by mstevens90 9/25/2017, 12:06 am

2 from the Bing Crosby Show in flac from cd

bing501122(043) - Paul Douglas

bing501129(044) - Ella Fitzgerald

Source Redmond N. C. CD

mstevens90

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzMan 10/7/2017, 2:23 pm

I'm curious to know what equipment people are using to convert transcription discs. I'm using a REK-O-KUT T3378 TRANSCRIPTION TURNTABLE with the S-240 Fluid damped arm. For the Cartridge I've got a Stanton 681 EEE MK III with a 2.0 -3.5 stylus set. The output is being fed into an M-Audio 2496 audio card on the computer.

What are you using?

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by otrhead 10/14/2017, 7:12 pm

Great examples mstevens90,

Thanks for the fills.

otrhead

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzMan 10/16/2017, 8:48 pm

Does anyone else think LPs are like 45s now? Is anyone digitizing transcriptions?

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by mstevens90 10/20/2017, 2:22 am

2 more in flac

48-06-10-Kraft Music Hall (292)-Guest - Dorothy Kirsten

48-09-30-Kraft Music Hall (307)-Guest - Judy Garland

Source Redmond Nost. CD

mstevens90

Back to top Go down

Post by mstevens90 10/20/2017, 9:02 pm

2 more in flac

48-10-07-Kraft Music Hall (308)-Guest - Edward G. Robinson

48-10-14-Kraft Music Hall (309)-Guest - Enzio Pinza

Source Redmond Nost. CD

mstevens90

Back to top Go down

Post by mstevens90 10/21/2017, 7:17 pm

Is anyone interested in these?

mstevens90

Back to top Go down

Post by pfmurphy 10/22/2017, 1:56 am

Absolutely. I love bing. Thank you very much.

pfmurphy

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 10/28/2017, 8:29 am

enchanted hour #123 AFRS.flac

kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 10/29/2017, 2:37 am

mstevens90 wrote:Is anyone interested in these?

Yes definitely, Mike!  Is there any way you could start posting the 1947-1948 season of Bing on Philco and the 1947-1948 season of Al on Kraft!  If you could that would be fantastic! Also do you have the Railroad hour on CD? I have it from where you posted it before in 256 by 44.1 MP3, but would love to have it in Flac.

Your pal,

Buck

Buck Benny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next