The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some Australian shows....

+6
jerry6
eliyahusimlevin
scooper
dbf
greybelt
mstevens90
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Some Australian shows.... Empty Some Australian shows....

Post by dbf 1/17/2019, 1:36 pm

I've come across a few Australian shows which don't appear to be in general circulation .... will post them in this thread over the next few days...

First up, one of my favourites, THE WITCH'S TALE..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

dbf

Back to top Go down

Some Australian shows.... Empty Re: Some Australian shows....

Post by Egg_Crisis 1/17/2019, 2:30 pm

Wow, thanks! I was just looking at some lists of Witch's Tale episodes earlier today (I discovered that there's supposed to be a bunch of Australian episodes in existence which I haven't heard.) If you've got any other Witch's Tale episodes in this quality I'd love to hear them, most of the ones I have sound atrocious but this sounds excellent.

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/17/2019, 2:44 pm

Egg_Crisis wrote:Wow, thanks!  I was just looking at some lists of Witch's Tale episodes earlier today (I discovered that there's supposed to be a bunch of Australian episodes in existence which I haven't heard.)  If you've got any other Witch's Tale episodes in this quality I'd love to hear them, most of the ones I have sound atrocious but this sounds excellent.

I'll make a folder of the Australian eps I have and post a bit later today or tomorrow - they are of variable sound quality, some great, some not, but I think they're generally better than the ones found on download sites....  I'm actually mailing a few commercial vendors about a source of unreleased Aussie Witch's Tale episodes, hoping they might be interested enough to attempt a licensing deal to get them released.  I have no clue if it is actually possible (or worth their effort financially), but why not try?.  A bit depressing that they're probably sitting in a box somewhere, like so many shows we will probably never have a chance to hear... Crying or Very sad

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by bojim1 1/18/2019, 3:12 am

Thank you....I enjoy quite a few Australian shows

bojim1

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/18/2019, 7:17 am

Here is an episode of the Australian INNER SANCTUM MYSTERIES....doesn't quite capture the spirit of the original, but the American version (originally w/ Boris Karloff) is "lost".... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/19/2019, 8:30 am

Here is an episode of the Australian version of ROGUE'S GALLERY.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by airlanes 1/21/2019, 9:01 pm

Love these! Many thanks.

airlanes

https://od.lk/fl/MV8yOTg0NjQzN18

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 1/21/2019, 10:46 pm

dbf wrote:I'm actually mailing a few commercial vendors about a source of unreleased Aussie Witch's Tale episodes, hoping they might be interested enough to attempt a licensing deal to get them released.  I have no clue if it is actually possible (or worth their effort financially), but why not try?.  A bit depressing that they're probably sitting in a box somewhere, like so many shows we will probably never have a chance to hear... Crying or Very sad

Ah, one of those inaccessible archives (often a University) that has a very tight grasp of something that's only of interest to a tiny number of people?  I'm familiar with those.  Do you have a list of episode titles they have, hopefully with episode numbers?  I'm researching an episode list of the Australian episodes and I'm almost there, I just need to pin down a few more of the titles.

Did you transfer the disc of the "All Hallow's Eve" episode yourself?  I'm assuming the disc label would have given the episode number?

Anyway, here's a transfer of one of my better sounding cassettes.
#40 The King Shark God.
Code:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/dfzub32nugkf6cm/The_Witchs_Tale_-_40_-_The_King_Shark_God_%28Australian%29.flac/file
I think it sounds better than the 32kbps version that seems to be the only thing available online.  I just gave it a light dehiss.  One needs to be careful with noise reduction.  It's best not to try and remove every last drop of hiss &/or disc noise as that causes artifacts to creep in.  Some of the episodes released by R$ seem overprocessed, and even the one you posted could have benefited by easing back on the NR just a tad, although it sounded very good. (Hope you don't mind me saying so, assuming you transferred it yourself!).

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/22/2019, 7:18 am

Hi, thanks for the cassette version of this episode- I'll check it out - I'm about to post my Australian Witch's Tale collection here - that particular episode was one of a small handful in which I committed the cardinal sin of cleaning up a WAV made from an mp3 as my mp3 was too irritating.  But some sounded just too bad and I think what I wound up with is at least better. I have special software designed to tame denoising and and mp3 artifacting and tries to fill in some of the frequencies lost etc - unfortunately, it's more suited to music than spoken word, but it does help. As you say, denoising to a minimum - better some hiss than no treble...

I agree about the RS sets.  I have even written to them about it. They overdo it on many shows and suck the treble away. Ironically, they are cleaning them to make them commercially viable as many people don't want to hear scratches and clicks of course (their reply to my letter) by removing "noise", while at the same time adding even worse noise and removing the treble and brightness, making them (to me) unpleasant to listen to.  They seem to have improved on later releases (perhaps others complained too).  I also cleaned up one of theirs (Boa Goddess) and may try a few more. I'm also trying to get the highest WAV quality I can from some of the vendors with high-res unprocessed copies ....

I did not transfer that WT myself, it's actually an episode the archive let out...  they have the following - some they only give numbers - but you can see a lot of uncirculated titles there - at least we know they exist.  Having the chance to hear them is another matter :-/ (I wrote RS and Radio Archives in the tiny hope they might follow up and see if they could license them somehow)  PS Martin Grams has access to at least one, maybe more, uncirculated WT episodes which he is finding a way to bring out later this year via kickstarter. So we will probably get some new WT this year at least :-)

11 Devil's Number, 12 The Puzzle, 29 The Bed, 34 The Tiger, 30 All Hallow's Eve. 31 Fallons Folly, 37 The Reunion, 38 Hangman's Roost, 41 The Bell, 42 The Cage, 51 Rappaccini's Daughter, 52 Guardian Of The Tomb, ep 35-38, 45-50, Fallon's Folly pts 1-4, Rat In A Trap, 31 The Priest Of Beckettt, 31 The Mannequin, Devil Doctor, Parts 1,2,3 (not specified what that means).

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/22/2019, 8:04 am

In Australia, they performed Night Beat from US scripts... and then continued with the series on their own when the US production stopped.

They also used US scripts of Let George Do It under the name of Danger is My Business

There was a one-year series Tension of which about half were Suspense scripts (their version of the missing episode Keenest Edge is quite good), and the rest a smattering of Molle Mystery Theater (some missing episodes) and Hollywood Playhouse.

If you want to dig in behind the scenes, the biography of Grace Gibson by people who knew and worked with her is an enjoyable read
Yes, Miss Gibson: The Life and Times of an Australian Radio Legend

Ordering recordings from the Grace Gibson site was easy for CDs when I did it with very fast shipping, but they now offer download service. The way the Australian dollar and US are currently aligned, their AUS$45 sets are US$32. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 1/22/2019, 8:46 am

dbf wrote:11 Devil's Number, 12 The Puzzle, 29 The Bed, 34 The Tiger, 30 All Hallow's Eve. 31 Fallons Folly, 37 The Reunion, 38 Hangman's Roost, 41 The Bell, 42 The Cage, 51 Rappaccini's Daughter, 52 Guardian Of The Tomb, ep 35-38, 45-50, Fallon's Folly pts 1-4, Rat In A Trap, 31 The Priest Of Beckettt, 31 The Mannequin, Devil Doctor, Parts 1,2,3 (not specified what that means).

Thanks. (There's three 31's, your mistake or theirs?) The numbers conform to what I've discovered, and the number for The Tiger helped me solve one problem with placing another episode. For a moment I thought The Priest Of Beckett was an episode I'd not heard of, then moments later I was amazed to find it on youtube, then moments later my hopes were dashed when I realised it was just a mistitling of The Priest Of Sekhet. A shame they don't give the titles of eps 35-38 as eps 35 & 36 are two of just 6 episodes I've not yet found the titles of, and the titles of 45-50 would reveal one more title I've not been able to find. I'll post my research for the episode list when it's ready, but not here as it'll clog up the thread, The Work Room subforum would be more appropriate perhaps. I do have a few Australian shows (other things not Witch's tale) that I can add here when I dig them out.

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/22/2019, 9:34 am

Cool - those numbers are their numbering....some of them don't make sense (Devil Doctor was also numbered 31)... this show is a mess due to all the dating from the US show .... at the moment I'm just giving them titles but if you come up with a good numbering list, that would be even better....

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/22/2019, 9:35 am

Here are 2 episodes of a police show called D24 - I quite like it but only have these so far - apparently it later became a TV show called Homicide (in Australia):

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 1/22/2019, 11:05 am

dbf wrote:Cool - those numbers are their numbering....some of them don't make sense (Devil Doctor was also numbered 31)... this show is a mess due to all the dating from the US show .... at the moment I'm just giving them titles but if you come up with a good numbering list, that would be even better....

The US show is even more of a mess, with people seeing in the episode list that a show features 3 times, then including 3 copies of the same file, each with one of the three dates. A page on archive.org has a massive amount of duplicated files because of this wrong thinking. (In the episode list of the 332 original airings, the repeats weren't repeats in the modern day sense but new performances, sometimes with slight modifications to the script, so you can't just make 3 copies of the same file with 3 different dates!)

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/22/2019, 11:24 am

Here is my collection of Australia's THE WITCH'S TALE....thanks Egg_Crisis for the above file - it was a huge improvement from mine, so it's included here - if anyone has better versions of any of these, please do share! These are the circulating episodes I'm aware of - there are collectors with more, but they keep them for trading purposes and don't want them out there sadly .... I'm not sure the Australian episodes even had solid airdates (syndicated?), so I just include the titles...enjoy...

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 1/22/2019, 4:34 pm

Thanks for the upload. I'll check them out and post any upgrades I have.

dbf wrote:I'm not sure the Australian episodes even had solid airdates
They definitely did. I've spent the last few days staring at Australian newspapers, and assembled an almost complete list...

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by bojim1 1/23/2019, 4:11 am

I have 14 episodes of D24. I believe I got them here a few years back. Here's what I have:
D24 - The Arsonist
D24 - The Death Of A Burgler
D24 - The Eye Witness
D24 - The Feathered Hat
D24 - The Gallant Bank Teller
D24 - The Gunshot Pattern
D24 - The Hobnail Boots
D24 - The Man That Would Not Learn
D24 - The Man With The Butterfly Collar
D24 - The Master Of The House
D24 - The Quarrelsome Bandits
D24 - The Railway Station Shootings
D24 - The Service Station Hold Ups
D24 - The Strangler
D24 - The Strong Man

bojim1

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/23/2019, 8:27 am

Thanks so much - the D24 folder "doesn't exist" on that link (for me, at least).... ?

Last edited by dbf on 1/23/2019, 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/23/2019, 9:13 am

greybelt wrote:
Ordering recordings from the Grace Gibson site was easy for CDs when I did it with very fast shipping, but they now offer download service. The way the Australian dollar and US are currently aligned, their AUS$45 sets are US$32.  https://gracegibsonradio.com/

Are their CDs actually CD-ROMs of mp3s?? (I know some are)...in that case, I would just order the download version to save shipping. They have 40 Australian Dragnets recently released... very curious how Joe Friday sounds with an Australian actor...

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by mstevens90 1/23/2019, 10:43 am

Downloads from grace gibson come in the m4a format.

mstevens90

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/23/2019, 10:57 am

That's interesting -- the CDs I got from them a few years ago were mp3s. m4a is a good format. I had heard they struggled with the whole idea of downloads, and I guess this was the way they settled it.

The Big Story Revealed! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Casey, Crime Photographer episode analysis [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Interviews of OTR collectors and others [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 1/23/2019, 1:14 pm

dbf wrote:Here is my collection of Australia's THE WITCH'S TALE...

Thanks for the upload.  A few were tiny improvements and some were the same.  Here's 3 which may be a slight improvement, and The Deserter which you didn't post.

07 - The Firing Squad
Your file has a kindof ticking sound in parts (maybe due to clipping or eq?)

08 - The Violin
Maybe an improvement? The mp3 sounds like you're using a rattly metal box for a loudspeaker!

17 - The Statue Of Thor
Slightly better, maybe?

39 - The Deserter
You didn't post this one.  Maybe an oversight as it's not hard to find.  Quality isn't great.

Code:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/l07p82g7s0cibl1/1941.02.01_The_Witchs_Tale_-_07_-_The_Firing_Squad_%28Australian%29.flac/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/aat9t1qt7indqmw/1941.02.08_The_Witchs_Tale_-_08_-_The_Violin_%28Australian%29.flac/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/1t228s1dca3a56p/1941.04.12_The_Witchs_Tale_-_17_-_The_Statue_Of_Thor_%28Australian%29.flac/file
(New link...)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ld8vyz8h281cc3w/1941.12.27_The_Witchs_Tale_-_39_-_The_Deserter_%2528Australian%2529_Fixed.flac/file

Last edited by Egg_Crisis on 1/23/2019, 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/23/2019, 1:19 pm

Thanks - believe it or not, I've never come across it before! So we're at 25 of 52, I think...

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by scooper 1/23/2019, 1:26 pm

D4 link does not exist in my Dropbox either. Please repost if you can.

scooper

Back to top Go down

Post by bojim1 1/23/2019, 1:30 pm

I can't figure out what's gone wrong. I will re-up them tomorrow. Sorry about this.....Jim

bojim1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum