The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is Different, Funny or Sad or Out of Style today?

Go down

What is Different, Funny or Sad or Out of Style today? Empty What is Different, Funny or Sad or Out of Style today?

Post by Bill_Atkins on 3/23/2019, 3:59 am

I thought it might be fun to start a list/discussion of things/phrases or more that either don't exist today or were not readily available during the OTR period of the 30's, 40's or 50's. I am sure that many of you chuckle, as do I, when a technology or lack of technology is used as plot device, or a phrase and/or endorsement that may be just wrong today was commonplace back then.

A couple of examples and I hope you will add others:

In Dragnet, Doctors endorse the safety of cigarettes. I think they go so far as to say that there is "the sponsor's brand does not cause sore throats".

The fact that a single sponsor was responsible for a series. The Johnson Wax company, Jello, Blue Coal.

The phrase, "I've got a gun and I am not afraid to use it!"

Telling people to run to the nearest neighbor or office to use the phone to call the police or hospital.

Anyway, I hope you get my drift and please feel free to add to the list.

Thanks,

Bill_Atkins

Back to top Go down

What is Different, Funny or Sad or Out of Style today? Empty Re: What is Different, Funny or Sad or Out of Style today?

Post by Seamus on 4/16/2019, 2:45 pm

I for one want the return of:

Its Swell
Gee Wiz
pops (anyone call their Dad Pops anymore?)
Lets cut a rug
Don't flip your wig
Keen
Got my wig chopped
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

What is Different, Funny or Sad or Out of Style today? Empty Re: What is Different, Funny or Sad or Out of Style today?

Post by Bill_Atkins on 4/17/2019, 7:49 pm

Funny that you mention Pops in your list.
In his press conference after the Masters this past weekend, Tiger Woods talked about his father and called him Pops. Then he talked about his children getting to see their Pops win again.

Bill_Atkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 4/17/2019, 9:09 pm

Well, both of my sons call me Pops. And Bill, you've seen my Facebook. That means that you know why the phrase, "I've got a gun and I'm not afraid to use it" could actually come up in my world. Shocked Let's hope that it never does.

I could probably write a book about the unscientific science, in Dimension X and X Minus One. But I much prefer to enjoy them for the period pieces they are.

I suddenly find myself wishing that someone would make a Lensman series movie. But done in the sci-fi style of the 30's/40's. As well as a Princess of Mars movie, which is true to the books. Oops, I forgot. In the books, everybody was nekkid. Embarassed

Bill, this conversation has got me sittin' back and enjoyin' the visuals runnin' through my mind. Picture the cityscape scenes from Metropolis. But in 4K and in color. That's awesome.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jb_steele on 5/30/2019, 7:30 am

How about direct dialing long distance telephone service? I've heard a lot of programs where the process of making a call was written into the show... all the operators making connection along the line. And speaking of Dragnet, in nearly every episode, Joe Friday does something that would get his case tossed. and him too today.
jb_steele
jb_steele

https://www.teapartycommunity.com/profile-163183/

Back to top Go down

Post by jb_steele on 5/30/2019, 7:33 am

Space Cadet wrote:
I suddenly find myself wishing that someone would make a Lensman series movie. But done in the sci-fi style of the 30's/40's.
There was a Japanese anime version of Lensman... but it was only loosely related to what Doc Smith wrote. I think I'd rather see his Skylark series.
jb_steele
jb_steele

Back to top Go down

Post by ozradio on 5/31/2019, 1:53 am

I was listening to a 21st Precinct a few weeks back and a beat cop failed to call in to the precinct HQ. Apparently they called in at predetermined intervals since they weren't carrying radios yet.

Of course, many OTR plots would be foiled by cell phones.

ozradio

http://www.ryanellett.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 5/31/2019, 2:22 am

jb_steele wrote:
Space Cadet wrote:
I suddenly find myself wishing that someone would make a Lensman series movie. But done in the sci-fi style of the 30's/40's.
There was a Japanese anime version of Lensman... but it was only loosely related to what Doc Smith wrote. I think I'd rather see his Skylark series.

Yes, I've seen it. It has less in common with the original story, than John Carter did with A Princess of Mars. But that's what Hollyweird does on a regular basis.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jb_steele on 5/31/2019, 8:06 am

ozradio wrote:I was listening to a 21st Precinct a few weeks back and a beat cop failed to call in to the precinct HQ. Apparently they called in at predetermined intervals since they weren't carrying radios yet.

Along those same lines, the early police radios were receive only. The station could call the cars, but they couldn't call back. If needed, they had to stop and find a call box or a regular phone. I remember hearing a "Tales of the Texas Rangers" episode where Jase had to stop the car and send up a balloon with a long antenna to contact HQ.
jb_steele
jb_steele

Back to top Go down

Post by jb_steele on 5/31/2019, 8:11 am

Space Cadet wrote:Yes, I've seen it. It has less in common with the original story, than John Carter did with A Princess of Mars. But that's what Hollyweird does on a regular basis.
If someone were ambitious, current computer animation software would make it possible for someone with some voice actors to do it themselves.... I've seen a guy on youtube make new animation for the 60s kid show "Fireball XL-5" using the original audio.
jb_steele
jb_steele

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum