The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Check In

+16
JimBollman
Seamus
Tom-In-Ohio
pnussbaum
Harlow Wilcox
paulgeaf
CompleteDayMan
greybelt
Space Cadet
toebig
otrwashh
Bill_Atkins
artatoldotr
ghemrats
mjnunes84
Wildcat44
20 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Friday Check In - Page 6 Empty Re: Friday Check In

Post by Seamus 9/1/2019, 12:07 pm

This show here maybe enough for me to get another Apple Tv box and pay for their streaming service seeing as I already have Amazon, Hulu and Netflix.

Love the space race era so to have a alternate universe version of what if the Russians landed first. And what happens after. Plus all the cars from the 60's and Nasa and all the vehicles and aircraft.

Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 9/4/2019, 6:03 pm

Well folk's, I survived the drive by hurricane. For us, it us mostly just an inconvenience. And now I've gotta figure out what to do with five pounds of Spam.

But please keep the people of the Bahamas in your thoughts and prayers. I fear that disaster has yet to truly reveal itself.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Location : Been put out to pasture, gone to seed or something like that

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 9/6/2019, 4:50 pm

So happy you remain unscathed, Space. Prayers have been hitting Heaven like a salvo of well intended bombs.

Since it's Friday, I have posted Post #124 today in honor of our Revered Turban'd One--an Irish film. This weekend I plan to binge more Irish TV shows, since I fell in love with Amy Huberman's *Finding Joy*. I just bought, on the strength of her acting and humor, another series, *Striking Out* so that's up next.

Thanks again, Space, for the *Strange Lady* recommendation. I actually really enjoyed it. Be safe, everyone.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 9/6/2019, 5:49 pm

ghemrats wrote:Thanks again, Space, for the *Strange Lady* recommendation. I actually really enjoyed it.
Jeff

You're very welcome. I'm glad Ya liked it. There's a ton O' movies from the early 30's through the mid 50's that deserve a lot more attention. Scroll through Barbara Stanwyck on the IMDB site. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001766/

Pay attention to her pre-code "Bad Girl" roles. There's some amazin' stuff in there.

Now, about my weekend. Well, some of you might remember my home media server project from a week or few ago. Well that turned into a kinda workin' software disaster, complete with lots of profanity. So, I've put that project on the shelf for this weekend. I'll come back to it as time permits. But this weekend, my project is settin' up a few smart home features, to make things easier for the wife. I have all the parts, the software is already up and workin', I've read the manuals and I've got my Russian profanity handbook, just in case the need arises.

Wish me luck.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 9/6/2019, 7:26 pm

Hello everyone, Nice to see everyone is doing okay. Space I can now drop down to Defcon 5 we were ready to drop in a moments notice.

Lovely day to day warm and sunny. Had day off work to take the car in for its NCT road worthy tests. Passed flying colours. Then went charity shop sailing for vinyl. Found lots of stuff I did not want. Had a grand week. A huge sailing ship came in from Mexico. Lovely to see a tall rigger in the bay was nice. i will admit when I first saw it I thought it was a pirate attack and I swam out under cover of night and boarded her to the shock of the crew. Simple misunderstanding.

And I also love reading Jeff's reviews. Always a treat. I love any movie set in San Francisco absolutely love that city. Early in my career I spent a lot of time there. Was back last year and I lament the doc.com dickheads who have taken over the city. I remember living up past nob hill and having families and older folks and such rich culture all supplanted by vacuous tech company morons who have zero clue of culture. I was going to a dinner last year and all these idiots were outside in a circle on their phones. Dear me I went off on a rant but the likes of Facebook have destroyed reality and truth and privacy and all for monetary gain. Your lives are fodder for the deep data mining algorithms. Worse yet I am executive in tech firm and not a product I create steals your data we work with partners who have no morals. Its a big dirty post truth world folks.

LOL thats my old man get off my lawn rant for the week. Hope everyone has a good weekend. I will be looking for vinyl and living my analog life.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 9/6/2019, 8:49 pm

I forgot to mention my newest streamin' obsession, Carnival Row on Amazon Prime. Gritty fantasy at the very least.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by otrwashh 9/6/2019, 9:58 pm

The beginning of September has been interesting.

On Sunday, September 1st: 
New record daily high temperature: 98 degrees
(this was a new record high for the month of September)
(Normal high temperature: 83 degrees)

On Monday, September 2nd:
New record daily high temperature: 100 degrees
(this is the new record high for the month of September)
This is also the latest 100 degree day we have had.
(Normal high temperature: 83 degrees)

On Thursday, September 5th: 
New record daily high temperature: 98 degrees.
(Normal high temperature: 82 degrees)

On Friday, September 6th:  
Major hail storm in the Foothills West of Denver
and
in the Southern Denver Metro Area.
Also, a tornado.
See a short news clip
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/09/06/video-september-storm-dumps-hail-on-i-70-at-floyd-hill/

The next week looks like we will FINALLY have some close to normal seasonal temperatures,
with high temperatures in the low- to mid- 80's
otrwashh
otrwashh

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 9/7/2019, 1:30 am

I agree with otrwashh September is a weird weather month. Last week I was resting under one of the oak trees on my property when I was hit on the head by a falling acorn. Now, this may not seem weird to all you city folks but it is because the oak trees don't normally start dropping their acorns until mid to late October. The woodpeckers and jays were picking them up as quickly as they fell and taking them to their storage places. What does all this mean? Well, we normally get our first frost in early December. I'm betting on a first frost in early to mid October. This means I better start splitting my four cords of wood now or be stuck doing it in rainy/snowy cold weather.

It's still 100 degrees plus daily here. This is normal.

No rest for us old folks up here.

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 9/7/2019, 10:12 pm

WOO HOO! All of my planned smart features are up and runnin'. And the wife is ecstatic. In fact, she says it's the nicest thing I've done for her in a very long time. Ya know what that means. Brownie Points! I might be able to parley this into that new drone I've been plannin' to get. Well, I can dream can't I?
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 9/13/2019, 1:47 pm

Another busy week done and dusted. Absolutely gorgeous sunny warm day here I was roaming around in shorts and tshirt all day. Had day off work so went out looking for vinyl. Not a bargooon to be had anywhere. Waiting for my vinyl club mail surprises to come. Got 12 albums winging their way to me so the collection is already getting out of hand like all good obsessions should. If someone needs to sit you down and discuss your habit you are almost there.

Gonna enjoy the nice weather so will be out and about all weekend enjoying myself and I suggest anyone who can do the same.

Whats everyone up to and i want crazy tales of blood and thunder of high adventure.... Pirates and kidnappings I will not settle for less.

Your weekend plans should read like a script for the Goonies meets Big Trouble in Little China....
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 9/13/2019, 5:23 pm

Seamus wrote:Whats everyone up to and i want crazy tales of blood and thunder of high adventure.... Pirates and kidnappings I will not settle for less.

Your weekend plans should read like a script for the Goonies meets Big Trouble in Little China....

Ummm... Would Ya settle for the Evil Space Cadet vs. the Technophobes?

My oldest son sent me an early birthday gift. An Echo Smart Speaker. It's most of the basis for the smart features I set up in the house last weekend. It got me started thinkin' about a possible practical joke.

I have three bluetooth speakers and a small bluetooth subwoofer. I've hidden all four of these speakers, in various obscure places throughout the house. My favorite bein' the subwoofer hidden in the kitchen cabinet next to the dishes. My wife and her currently visitin' sister are pretty much technophobes.

Did I mention that I can connect any of these speakers to my phone from anywhere in the house? And that I have quite a few sound effects in wav files on my phone? About 10:00 p.m. tonight, the fun begins at barely perceptible volume levels. With occasional rattlin' dishes just for good measure.

I expect to be in a lot of trouble at some point this weekend. BUT IT'S WORTH IT! Laughing

Yup, sometimes I'm a real stinker.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 9/13/2019, 5:44 pm

Space report back from whatever hotel you are staying at after those pranks. Pick one with good room service.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 9/13/2019, 7:15 pm

Wow, my life is really lethargic compared to youze guys' lives.

I used to think I had a Smart Head, but Space's technology blasts mine out of the competition. This weekend's highlight will be summoning up the stamina to empty out the recycling bins, traversing the wide expanse of my backyard in search of--not gold or precious lightning-provoking psychic energy receptors--but doggy donuts, and trying not to get too heated when I compete in the Flossing Finals (a hazardous venture which can leave bloodstains if the competition is too tough). Last year Space ended up with a Bluetooth.

I may even find time to finish the Tim Dorsey book I'm laughing my way through, since I completed a riotous collection of short stories by Raphael Bob-Waksburg (creator of *Bojack Horseman*) last week--it's called *Someone Who Will Love You In All Your Damaged Glory*, and I laughed out loud at some of the stories.

And I'll veg out with movies. . .
Whoop whoop.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 9/13/2019, 8:53 pm

Nah. This tech is actually pretty simple. I just found a creative (and risky) way to use it to amuse myself. And I forgot to mention that I'm slippin' off the B grade spaghetti film festival tonight. Tonight's classic is gonna be C.B. De Mille's Cleopatra. With the incomparable Claudette Colbert. But I'll be back on the Terrence Hill film fest tomorrow.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 9/17/2019, 6:57 am

Be sure to go over to the Whistler thread https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com/t186p175-whistler-upgrades#8768 and see the information posted about this past weekend's presentation Karl Schadow and I made at the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention. The link to the YouTube version is there along with links to slides and other resources.

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items https://sites.google.com/view/joehehnmemorialcollection/home
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 9/20/2019, 8:52 am

This is catch-up weekend for us here in NC. Time to clean up the desk and the hard drive! The hot humid weather of summer has broken and we're in for some delightful mid-70s (the temperature, not the decade) weather.

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items https://sites.google.com/view/joehehnmemorialcollection/home
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 9/20/2019, 7:44 pm

Great stuff greybelt. Lovely day today in the 70's so very nice. Met a good friend down by the sea had a great catch up and laugh fest. Here's to good friends keep them close.

Tonight we watched John Wick 3 I really liked this movie. Fight scenes were amazing. The back lore and mixture of Pirates, League Assassins, Ninja, Knights Templar was enjoyable the fighting dogs were a highlight to me.

This weekend will be lazy days for me. Its going to be warm so I will enjoy that. So lets get your check in's so we can all catch up on the porch sipping lemonade and enjoying the last days of summer....
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 9/21/2019, 1:54 pm

Another weekend and for a change, no projects on the agenda. But I'll find somethin' to keep me busy.

Actually, I'm gonna be livin' the bachelor life for the next three weeks, as the wife is away on an extended trip to Texas and parts west with my younger son and his family. No, it's not as a result of my extended practical joke. She actually laughed when I finally let her in on the gag. Well, after an hour of not talkin' to me, she decided it was funny. And she wanted me to show her how to do it, so that she could keep torturin' her sister with the gag.

Maybe I'll revisit my home media server disaster. Anyone know where I can learn some new profanity? I've already worn out all that I know in English, Spanish, French, German and Russian, on the media server software problem. And I fear I'll need more before I'm finished.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 9/21/2019, 2:01 pm

Return with us now to those thrilling days of Yesteryear as we wish Space a Very Happy Birthday!

Make it great, pal.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 9/21/2019, 6:49 pm

Thanks Jeff. It's good to be old. Wink
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 9/22/2019, 8:09 am

Happy birthday Space .... its only getting better
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 9/27/2019, 6:13 pm

It's another Friday... and it's the last weekend of the regular baseball season.

And I am always reminded of this quote by poet Bart Giamatti... who would become president of Yale... and commissioner of baseball... but written when he taught English literature...

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.

And so another season of Mets disappointment, that teases us once more with glimmers of hope... only so it can be drained away again in next year's season... but we move on...

My baseball-free time will be OTR-filled as I transfer reels, dig into more research, and enjoy re-discovering my collection, and especially renewing so many collector acquaintances.

Next weekend me & the Mrs celebrate 40 years, with relative quiet since so many are gone. My Mother, for whom so many have prayed and offered support, is still around, turning 92 next week, when just 16+ months ago she was hours away from her last breath. The skilled nursing she gets has been marvelous and we are so thankful for caregivers of these elderly who may mutter under their breath now and then when they get back to their nurses stations but always offer cheerful in-room dedicated and respectful care to my Mother and all the others there. Mom's still very interactive and jokes with the staff who always stop by to see her for some good-natured NY sarcastic ribbing... and they've learned she's not happy unless they do the same for her. Thank you again, Cobaltia!

We've delayed some of our personal celebration to November when out in the western Carolina mountains there will be a Downton Abbey event at Biltmore, filled with sets and costumes and all kinds of curious notions. I'm not as into it as the Mrs but enjoyed the new movie greatly last weekend.

Will any Cobaltians be at SPERDVAC in November? If so, I'll be there for the Saturday morning Suspense presentation. I'll be in and out of the convention as we have family in the area whom we have not been able to spend considerable time with for decades, but now can. This retirement thing is working out for us as we're able to catch up with these things.

It's time to start working on that presentation, and I know it will have three parts. The first will be an overview about the different producers and their effects on the essence of the series. Second will be quirky things about some of the writers, especially Edgar Scott Flohr, which I find to be such an interesting and strange story. And finally some of the things I have learned about the blacklist, as especially revealed in Robson's letter to Murrow. I'll be recording it, so if you can't go, you won't miss out. I'll probably be able to get the slides about 75% finished this weekend.

This Sunday ends the Suspense posts for three of four days (don't worry -- I have a batch of shows, some of which are incredible upgrades starting in a few days). I have three "new" Big Story for which I will be finishing up the research to be posted Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. One involves a woman who kept her mother's body in the shed so Mom's Social Security checks would continue without interruption! That's not all... she carved up the body so it would fit in the box better! So there's some work to get all of that done properly.

I'll be planning out my Fall and Winter OTR stuff this weekend, and I do have some series that are close to being "postable" at Cobalt so others can pitch in with upgrades, and background, and fill-ins. Please contact me by private message or suspenseotr@gmail.com so we can conspire about the process.

We just finished watching the PBS American Experience Ken Burns series about country music. It was engrossing, and of course the role of radio is prominent in its early years.

We're throwing in the towel on Hulu. There's so little that interests us there now. Sticking with Netflix and Amazon Prime, and about to swap Hulu for BritBox. We found our local PBS station to be awful to deal with, but are delighted with the PBS streaming service that is only $5 a month. The library of online items is just huge. We pulled the rug on CBSAllAccess months ago and haven't missed it one bit.

Like they say, when you're retired, tomorrow is always Saturday.

Last edited by greybelt on 9/27/2019, 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 9/27/2019, 6:58 pm

greybelt great update thanks for sharing.

Was another warm day here in Ireland and no this isn't seasonable we are not complaining. Its been another whirlwind busy week. Lots of new vinyl came my way. The 50's anniversary box set of Abbey Road. Colour vinyl Queen Night at the Opera. America. Got some more America as I fill in missing albums. Various pressings of new Irish bands that the subscription company sends me. Always good as including a Scottish piper and she is really good.

Got a lot of projects I had on the go that are now bearing fruit. I work on my own time and volunteer as a technology mentor. I help new startups get past the mistakes that take down young companies. Met a really great team today. I am joining their board to provide guidance to get them to profit. Having a growing network of companies I am helping and I have a team of friends helping. Trying to change the world one step at a time. We have various interests from electrical load balancing grids, agri-conversion to medical reporting services. We are building out our skill set of A team people who want to help startups who have compelling tech make it to commercial success. Its very enjoyable to me and we all love to give back.

So listening to music working. Having family movie nights and OTR play nights so good times are rolling. Giving thanks and gratitude for all the good things in life and all my friends here at the Cobalt Club.

So lets get some more updates in here its a highlight of my week to read what every one is doing.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 9/27/2019, 8:46 pm

First and foremost, a hearty Happy Anniversary to Mr. and Mrs. greybelt. That's an amazing accomplishment. I know, because Mrs. Space Cadet and I will celebrate our 36th. at the end of this year. It takes much more than love and patience. It requires a true dedication to the relationship.

And it makes me truly happy to hear that your mother is spitting in the eye of the grim reaper. And doing it with her own style. She sounds like my kind of senior. Suddenly, I wanna watch the movie Secondhand Lions again.

Boss, it sounds like you need to go back to full time work again. Your side projects sound like they'd drive the average twenty-something to exhaustion.

On my end, I have way too much time on my hands. The aforementioned Mrs. Space Cadet has been on the road with our younger son for the past week. And will continue on that extended road trip for another two and a half weeks. Since I won't have a "Honey Do" list for a couple of weeks, I might take a friend up on his offer, to teach me a new variation of an old hobby.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 9/27/2019, 9:06 pm

My wife Carolyn and myself are gearing up for "Operation Christmas Child" (also called Shoebox ministries) at church. It's a year long thing for us that culminates in a two day packing party in November.
Operation Christmas Child is a project originated by Franklyn Graham (Billy Graham's son). We pack shoe box size boxes with small toys, school supplies, hygiene supplies, T- shirts, socks etc.

We have found that in many third world countries children cannot attend school unless they have their own supplies. We put together pencils, pens, crayons, color pencils, small note pads, rulers, scissors, etc.

Carolyn along with two other ladies does most of the shopping year round looking for sales. I do some of the driving and resting in the shade while she is shopping lol.

During the year I will burn out two to three electric pencil sharpeners as I sharpen about 10,000 pencils each year. We do include one of those little twist type pencil sharpeners with each shoe box but it's easier on the children if the ten pencils we provide are already sharpened.

Last year our church packed almost 1200 boxes that were sent to the Philippines and Africa. We generally receive about 6-10 letters from the children that receive them. It's very gratifying.

So, to make a long story short, I'm sharpening pencils and moving and splitting fire wood this weekend. Hopefully, not so much splitting firewood lol. Oh, BTW, I do listen to a lot of OTR as I'm sharpening pencils. I'm pretty good at multi-tasking LOL.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Tom (toebig)

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next