The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Check In

+16
JimBollman
Seamus
Tom-In-Ohio
pnussbaum
Harlow Wilcox
paulgeaf
CompleteDayMan
greybelt
Space Cadet
toebig
otrwashh
Bill_Atkins
artatoldotr
ghemrats
mjnunes84
Wildcat44
20 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Friday Check In - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Check In

Post by Bill_Atkins 5/14/2019, 11:31 pm

Ok,
Sorry for the timing as it is not Friday but can the "fun" people stop going away for a week or two?

First, as has been posted, it was Peggy Lipton. The Mod Squad was fun and unique TV at the time.

Then the multi-platform star Ms Day. Very unique at the time, in my opinion and as I look back, for an artist to be a star in music, radio, TV and Movies. And to be so supportive of Rock when he had aids. So many people abandoned him even though they continued to support animal rights. What else can you say about her? Lots!!!

And today, it was Tim, watch the rest of the cast laugh their butts off, Conway. I cannot tell you the number of times I snorted a glass of water or a soft drink or even, gasp, a beer, as I watched the Carol Burnett Show. He was so funny in a subtle way, it just sneaked up on me and to top it off, he didn't need to use vulgar language. In some context for me, he was like a modern day Chaplin.

So that kinda ruined my day but it appears, based on the news, that they were all loved and all will be missed.

Ok, I am done.....

Bill_Atkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 5/17/2019, 11:46 am

Rainy day here in Dublin but nice. Watching Flash finale tonight and keeping my eyes peeled for new shows on the streams. Glad its the weekend so I can sit back put on some vinyl and relax.

How is everyones week?
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill_Atkins 5/18/2019, 1:20 am

Gotta ask,

What vinyl are you gonna listen to?
And what table are you playing the vinyl on?

I am a 60's, 70's, and early 80's guy

just gave away 200+ albums during the move to Phoenix.

Would love to know what others are listening to.

Bill_Atkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 5/18/2019, 12:20 pm

Bill,

yesterday I was listening to some 10 CC and Moody Blues. I have a couple of turntables a Kenwood Trio KD-1033 its a fine deck its been overhauled by a hifi guru here. That runs through a Marantz amp to 20 year old Acoustic Research Speakers. I then have a Fluance RT85 reference series turntable with Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. That runs through a Thorens preamp into a 1980's Signature series Pioneer amp on to Fluance XL7F speakers. Thats my premo rig when I play the new pressings vinyl I am getting the 180gram stuff that sounds so good fills the room with rich full sound.

I have everything from Jazz, folk, rock, electronica, big band, you name it I am probably listening to it. Vinyl is a voyage of discovery. I do it old school I go on foot to old vinyl stores filled with people like me who prefer the ritual of selection and listening. Yes I have every kind of streaming music known. But vinyl I now perform like the Japanese tea ceremony. Its the zen of doing. You stop contemplate and select then clean the vinyl set it up on the deck and lower the tone arm. You are more involved in the process of listening. May sound like hogwash to some but so many of my fellow vinyl buddies recount the same thoughts. I find I enjoy the process a lot.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 5/18/2019, 1:08 pm

I am eclectic when it comes to vinyl:
*Tom Waits' early material
*Jazz and blues (I have a mass of Blue Note vinyl that my sons have not yet confiscated)
*David Byrne (His two albums with Brian Eno are spectacular, as is his work with St. Vincent--and he's amazing in concert)
*Of course, the classics--The Beatles, Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Joe Cocker, Temps and Tops and all things Motown. . .

And my Japanese half-speed masters of *Dark Side Of The Moon*, Kate Bush, David Bowie, Buddy Rich and the Glenn Miller Orchestra (the new revival; Glenn didn't have Japanese half-speed masters. . .)

Only true vinyl mavens know the exquisite joy of the needle hitting the groove and that wondrous "Schee-jink" before the music starts.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 5/18/2019, 2:08 pm

Ghem, I have everything you mention in the library. Right now listening to Mike Oldfields Ommadawn. Dog is asleep beside me as he seems to enjoy the music. And he did get tired out explaining his view on Quantum Entanglement and snacks. It was a bit over my head but his math held together surprisingly well for a young dog.

Next up Steely Dan Cousin Dupree then Jimmy Smiths The Sermon.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 5/18/2019, 5:34 pm

Finally a free day Sunday. Takin' my grandson to Megacon. We're gonna get our nerd on.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Location : Been put out to pasture, gone to seed or something like that

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 5/19/2019, 12:06 pm

Goonies gonna be there and cast of Back to the Future. Sounds like fun. I want pics posted of things that are cool. Look for Deadly Hands of Kung fu comics for me.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 5/19/2019, 3:14 pm

My younger son came home this weekend for a day, so we could go see *Avengers: Endgame* together.  It has become something of a family tradition for us that we see Marvel films together--even if he did see this one with his wife a couple weeks ago, I held out until he could make it over.  

How was the film? Freakin' awesome.  I was a kid again.
Jeff

PS, Seamus: Ommadawn is amazing. I finally got a nice copy of *Hergest Ridge* a while back to fill in a small gap in my Oldfield collection. Our sheltie Nicki always grows contemplative with Oldfield, reminiscing about quantum super-positioning and multiverse realities. (Of course, that's a rough translation from his native Shetland dialect)

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 5/24/2019, 7:13 pm

How is everyone doing this Friday night. Was sunny and warm in Dublin today and the Spice Girls kicked off there tour in Dublin. Huge stage 60,000 people.

Been a busy week at work.

Got in some vinyl hunts in this week and added 5 albums to the growing collection. The price of vinyl is insane now. We are being charged for the esoteric nature of the format. I hunt in charity shops and vinyl shops so I have been getting good deals.

Finished the season of Flash this week was good enough season though plot holes you could drive the Batmobile through.

Will be off to see John Wick Chapter 3 we like that movie franchise at our house.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 5/24/2019, 8:02 pm

Well, "Real Life" reared it's ugly head and Megacon got preempted. But NEWS FLASH!!! I will be in Astoria Oregon on June 7th. for Goonies Day!!!
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 5/25/2019, 7:37 pm

Space ya got me jealous. Goonies never say die. I can say with pride I have seen that movie about 250 times and can quote every line in it. That and Big Trouble are my fav movies of all time.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 5/25/2019, 8:49 pm

Seamus wrote:Space ya got me jealous. Goonies never say die. I can say with pride I have seen that movie about 250 times and can quote every line in it. That and Big Trouble are my fav movies of all time.

Yup, Big Trouble In Little China is one of the most under rated and under appreciated films in cinematic history. If it had been made in black and white, Citizen Kane would have been a distant second.

Warning! The following clip contains adult language, violence and sheer awesomeness.

Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 5/31/2019, 5:30 pm

How is everyone doing tonight. Very nice weather here but its going to be rainy on the weekend. But whats new in Ireland. Long week of work and I am glad its a long weekend here.

June is here cannot believe the year is zipping by. Going to try and have a relaxing weekend. Listen to some vinyl, and read some comics. Put my feet up.

Whats everyone else doing?
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 6/1/2019, 11:15 am

My weekend revolves around preparations for our west coast tour, which begins next week. I'm gonna need a vacation...
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 6/7/2019, 3:22 pm

Friday night check in..How is everyone doing ? was a warm day here in Dublin I was out and about looking for vinyl deals and general junk hunting. Did not find any new vinyl but did find a some books and other treasures.

Going to be relaxing into a warm summer here with some travel down to the lovely beaches and out into the parks.

What's everyone up to? Space are you on the road?
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 6/8/2019, 2:20 am

After a mad dash across the continent, I'm at my oldest son's house in Oregon and freezin' my butt off. Goonies Day got rained out and my insane stunt trip to Arizona is gettin' blown away by wind... drat the luck. But insane stunt number two is still a go. Keep yer fingers crossed.

Got an awesome surprise, when my younger son and his family arrived this mornin'. Almost the entire brood under one roof. Only the third time ever, that we've managed to get so many together at one time.

I brought along a Surface tablet and should be able to check in if warranted. Maybe even some scenery uploads along the way. We'll see...

Feelin' pretty blessed right now.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 6/14/2019, 1:03 pm

Friday check in folks. Warm but rainy day. Super busy work week so I did not get to stick my head up. Looking forward to weekend.

Whats everyone doing? Space where are you now on your trip?

Ghem what are you up to?

Cobalters whats on for the summer? anyone off to Olly Hopnoodles Haven of Bliss.?
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 6/14/2019, 4:07 pm

A long response to your question, Seamus. Every night I watch a movie and post my response on my Facebook page. Here's today's:

ESCAPE ROOM (2019)

Sometimes I feel I'm in a movie: The idiot facing danger and making an incredibly fatuous and unfathomable move, like being in a booby trapped scenario and knowing it, but persisting in making stupid decisions; seeing a key buried at the base of a garbage disposal and after a few tense moments of waffling, sticking my entire hand into the gaping maw to retrieve the instrument wedged among a labyrinth of shiny silver blades. Close-up of fingers waggling within a hair's breadth of the key, music booming dread, voice-over saying, "This is stupid this is stupid this is stupid" to myself. . . . Music inches toward crescendo as my thumb moves over the curlicued surface of the Victorian key, knuckle scraping off a shard of skin as a butcher carves a wafer thin turkey slice for a picky patron--but I persist. . . . Slowly one of the blade quivers slightly. Close-up of internal gears twitching, the sound of their meshing thundering through the soundtrack. And then--"Jeff! What are you doing! We got the door open without the key. We just turned the knob! Come on!" the generic co-sufferer yells, pulling my arm. "No, you don't understand," I shriek, "I almost have the key!" My co-conspirator against the Evil Plot takes my head in her hands, "It's okay!" she cries, "We. Don't. Need. It." Her eyes implore understanding. My fingers brush the slimy copper of the key, now within grasp, perspiration oiling the blades. "Please!" she whispers, "Your father would understand." Her revelation shakes me into sharp understanding; she's right. A drop of sweat falls from my forehead into the sinkhole, I smile in realization of my impending safety, cast a relieved simper at my submerged hand and start to withdraw it--but just then. . . . a whirring sound, cacophonous, a deafening screech as she pulls at my arm, and. . . and. . .

Okay. The metaphor for my watching today's film is clear: Despite the $10 million budget and a couple good scenes, today's movie *Escape Room* should trade places with my hand in the disposal. Why, Lord, did you give me free will only to sit back and watch as I make poor decisions? An obvious franchise starter in the PG-13 thriller tradition, with *Escape Room* for not one moment did I give a fig about the integers masquerading as "heroes" or "victims with a haunted past." Why didn't they just call this movie *Trope-A-Thon With No Reason But To Set Up A Sequel Which Will Cash In On More Boneheaded Fools Gullible Enough To Press The Button Marked "Really, Don't Press The Button Or Increasingly Contrived Disaster Will Befall You"*.

I am so ashamed, as I write this with the remaining hand that wasn't digested by my Kitchen Magician (And I am being kind with this bloodless video game of a movie that gives away a ****load of suspense in the first five minutes.) To dovetail my opening statement, now I am Kevin McCarthy at the end of *Invasion of the Body-Snatchers* (an infinitely better film) screaming into the camera, "Save yourself! Beware! They're coming [the sequels]."😲

And I'm going grocery shopping.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 6/14/2019, 4:17 pm

Wow Ghem I looked at that up. Do you have to watch these movies for a job or is this volunteer work? I do like Tyler Labine shame he is mixed up in that mess.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 6/14/2019, 4:39 pm

Oh no, it gives me something to do with my retirement, Seamus. So it's voluntary. It's actually fun: So far I've done 27 films in as many days.

The film could be good, but so many tropes we've seen in so many movies. . . .

Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 6/14/2019, 5:01 pm

I do love a good bad movie. There is something to be said for a movie that is so bad its good. Plan 9 from outer space comes to mind. Any Chuck Norris movie... All early Japanese monster movies. The list goes on. What else have you watched?
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 6/14/2019, 6:34 pm

Okay, here are the films I've posted on in the past two months: (I've starred my favorites)

Serenity (2019) Matthew McConnewhoever
*Mystery Men (1999) Ben Still + a fantastic cast
*Gun Crazy (1950) Peggy Cummins (Martin Scorcese's favorite film)
Shed No Tears (1948) Fun bad movie
*The Ghost Goes West (1935) Robert Donat
*In A Lonely Place (1950) Bogart
Addicted to Fresno (2015) Audrey Plaza (just bad)
Repeat Performance (1947 noir)
*Lars and the Real Girl (2007) Ryan Gosling and Emily Mortimer
*Safety Not Guaranteed (2012) Highly recommend, Audrey Plaza
*Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil (2010) Great parody of slasher movies
Dave Made A Maze (2017) A-mazing this was released
*Heaven Can Wait (1943) Gene Tierney & Don Ameche!
Dragonwyck (1946) Gene Tierney and Vincent Price
Shanghai Gesture (1941) Gene Tierney; posted here at CC
*Where The Sidewalk Ends (1950) Gene Tierney spectacular noir
Whirlpool (1949) Gene Tierney noir
*Sorry To Bother You (2018) very biting satire
*Molly's Game (2017) Jessica Chastain (Hoowah)
The Frame (2015) by the same writer/director as. . .
Ink (2009) Independent strangeness and
11:59 (2005) w/d Jamine Winans (featuring one of the nation's top dull, boring, tedious, cardboard actors Raymond Andrew Bailey
Love Crime (2011) French thriller with a twist
The One I Love (2014) Elizabeth Moss--cute Twilight Zone Lite
*Exam (2009) suspenseful
This Property Is Condemned (1966) Natalie Wood & Robert Redford
Gambit (2009) Coen Brothers' script; a remake
*Hector and the Search For Happiness (2014) Simon Pegg; love it

That of course is not counting the movies I watched every night before I started posting.  I post every day, because my wife is slow to get ready for bed, which gives me time to watch stuff I know she won't watch with me. So between these movies and Alfred Hitchcock Presents reruns on a local channel at 1:00 AM, I now sport one large widescreen eye in my head.  With stereo sound.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 6/14/2019, 6:42 pm

Of course, the all time worst, surpassing *Plan 9* is *The Room* produced, directed, written by and starring Tommy Wiseau. If you haven't seen this. . . oh, it's just too much to discuss. . . My sons met Tommy Wiseau and my daughter-in-law said he was particularly enamored of her. Eeeyewww. . . . All I can say is, I'm sorry.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 6/15/2019, 4:39 pm

Got home at 2:00 a.m. Exhausted and jet lagged, but it was a great trip. Seattle, Portland and L.A. reminded me of what I love about big cities and why I'll never live in one. But I do love the northwest wilds.

Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next