Friday Check In

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Friday Check In - Page 13 Empty Re: Friday Check In

Post by CompleteDayMan on 3/21/2020, 1:20 pm

Not much to say here either. Aside from all of the major downer news, Mrs CDM and I just canceled our vacation plans for later this year, which included my first US long distance train trip and a visit to Victoria BC, both of which I was so looking forward to. Ah well.

Hope you are all keeping well.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 3/21/2020, 3:38 pm

My check in is late. As I have been working from home and walking the doggo during the day not much has changed for me other than giving people a wide berth and carrying a hammer, two garbage bags three kitchen knives and a sawn-off shotgun. Other than that nothing has changed.

We shall all come through the other side of this and hopefully quit taking each other for granted.

Tv, books, vinyl, walking, exercising or my normal routine. Checking in on family daily I suggest everyone keep that up. I am also keeping a roster of my older neighbours and checking in to make sure they are okay.

Stay safe CC'ers OTR and checking in here the best thing to send the blues away.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 3/21/2020, 5:14 pm

I'm runnin' behind too. I just finished my first week of an effectively vegetative state. And who knows how many more in front of me. Mostly video games, movies and anime. Plus the daily gloom and doom newscast. The high note was gettin' to meet my brand new grand-niece. That's a bright ray of sunshine in all of this cloudy weather.

Be safe out there friends. We've gotta continue to hope.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan on 3/27/2020, 10:49 am

It's Friday again already. Both of us here are locked away in our little world, only venturing out for a walk each morning and for Mrs. CDM a weekly visit to our local Kroger to pick up what may be left after the vultures have picked everything over.

I'm at risk for multiple reasons so that kind of put the lid on things. It's disconcerting to see quite a few folks on our street still not complying with the various orders - I just cannot understand the mentality.

Other than that it's nice to have the good weather back again (90 here yesterday) and to be able to go out into the garden and hear the birds singing. We have a glass of wine on the patio each afternoon and then watch a movie before supper. I don't know how long that will last before it becomes boring but it feels great right now. I also have lots of books to read and music to listen to but I think my favs are somewhat different from those of ghemrats and Space. Cool

Stay safe everyone.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 3/27/2020, 12:22 pm

So the severity of this has hit home. I now have family members who have the virus. They are isolated and the symptoms seem mild now. But of course they are highly infectious. So now we wait on daily word of how are they are doing. So people listen. Nephew got it he was working in grocery store. Came home never knew he had it and infected the whole family. 3 people. No one got away free. One person has it anyone they are in contact with probably going to get it. So stay and home stay safe. Wash your hands drink hot beverages to clear your throat.

My vinyl making club closed down so no new pressings for a while. And they have pretty much automated machines. This is okay I have plenty to get through. Reading books doing my work. Here is my new saying heard on Irish radio.

"Better to be six feet apart than six feet under"

Keep safe CC'ers
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulgeaf on 3/27/2020, 1:03 pm

Here is my first entry to the thread.
The lockdown is in force here in the UK and as I have an illness anyway and take steroids, which are immunosuppressive, I have to be extra careful so I've been indoors already for about ten days. Me and mother half and our 19yr old son. He just wants out to go skateboarding but dealing with it in a surprisingly grown up manner. We go for our 'allowed' exercise each day around 4pm for a half hour or an hour, walking where the lambs are running in the field. It helps.
I have spent an inordinate amount of time watching films. I do love movies, especially of the classic or art house or B-movie trash type so I have been filling up on those. I need to stop this laziness and get back to the coin magic book! Very Happy
Lots of hand washing, using home made hand sanitizer from isopropyl and glycerine and generally being careful.
Stay safe everyone!
So sorry to hear of your situation Seamus. Hopefully they all recover soon.
paulgeaf
paulgeaf

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 3/28/2020, 9:29 am

Gosh it's Saturday? I thought yesterday was Saturday. And so was the day before that.

It is all so strange. Having worked in a home office for 30+ years, we are good at all this, but it does seem so different. Yesterday we started to explore the Greenway walking trails around us just to vary our walks and that was good. Mrs. Greybelt is now up to an hour of walking the little hills around here.

If you have Netflix, we really enjoyed their series The Stranger. And we've also been enjoying the streaming service BritBox and are hooked on the Vera series and exploring some others.

Transferring Suspense cassettes and also some reels I bought on eBay.

One of the reels was in such bad shape it started flaking immediately, a loss of backcoating, but I was able to get the recording off of it.
Friday Check In - Page 13 Flakin10
I didn't find much in the reels but did get a missing East or West coast recording (no in-show identifiers unfortunately) of My Wife Geraldine. It really is something how you can jump back into pre-2000 collections and find some of these things.

The Mrs post-op doctor appointment was moved to June. It became such a milestone that to have it taken away was a big disappointment. The vision seems quite stuck where it is for now.

Since Feb 12, she says she's been in "pillow prison" as she has had to be sure to sleep in only certain positions for the sake of the eye, and now in "Corona containment" and we seem to be starting "pollen penitentiary" as the green dust is all over everything.

The lack of baseball is not helping. The MLB Vault channel on YouTube has many full vintage games, and last night we saw game 7 of the 1986 Mets World Series (the famous dribbler through Buckner's legs was Game 6, but "everyone" thinks that was the game that ended the series). There is the 1960s Pirates-Yankees game that ended with Bill Mazeroski's home run. Bing Crosby was in the ownership of the Pirates and he would not be able to see Game 7 so he had it filmed -- it was only found about 15 years ago. Funny how fast the games were then -- if you watch it, hitters stay in the box waiting for the next pitch.

Also watching the documentary "Filmed in Supermarionation" about Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's work with kids shows like Supercar and Fireball XL-5. Not up to the Space 1999 debacle yet, but it's been great fun for me since I so enjoyed those programs. The stories about the special effects and their workarounds for filming underwater (they didn't) and pyrotechnics are fascinating. Mrs GB has no interest, and that's okay.

The weather is turning even better, so steak on the grill this evening. Hooray!!

Hope everyone gets better quickly, Seamus!

The Big Story Revealed! https://sites.google.com/view/thestoriesbehindthebigstory/
Casey, Crime Photographer episode analysis https://bluenotebulletin.blogspot.com/
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan on 3/28/2020, 11:23 am

I would also like to add my best wishes for the well being of your relations, Seamus. Hope they are not too badly affected.

On another note, I don't know if you have noticed that Harlow Wilcox seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. I sent him a message a couple of weeks back but haven't heard back? Has anyone any info? Are there others?

I did converse with Nightkey. He is still around but undecided when / if he is going to get back into the swing of things. He's had a bad year or so.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 3/28/2020, 1:43 pm

More than ever this is now a Haven for at the very least our sanity. Space we gonna have to fire back up the jokes thread, the quizz thread, books to read etc. We are all in this together so lets use the club to have some fun and keep our minds off the Pandemic. I suggest keeping away from broadcast news the level of factual information is low. Check out the CDC page, or WHO. You can panic for no reason as the news is basically click bait. And for God's sake stay clear of Facebook or Youtube. The amount of horseshit I see on there is insane and people are following this false advice and putting themselves at risk.

Stay at home, limit your visits out. If you can get home delivery of groceries and pharmacy get that. Wash your hands. Enjoy hot beverages to keep the mucus lining of your mouth and throat clear. Enjoy your family. Read, listen to OTR. Get the chrome plugin for Netflix that allows you to watch movies together with friends and family who are remote.

Get out your journal and write down how you are doing daily. Eat lots of veg and fruit to bolster your immune system. Get your phone rota in place and keep in touch with your friends. Help anyone you know who is vulnerable get food. I am checking in on older neighbours here to make sure they are okay. A knock at the door then stand back 6 feet and I say hello just checking in are you okay do you need anything? amazing what a bit of being nice gets you. And I didn't know most of these people as we are new to the area. Lost of shut ins feeling overwhelmed. Together we shall lift the boats.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 3/28/2020, 2:43 pm

Boss, I truly hope all the best for your family. And remember that the worst is actually pretty rare. I agree completely on the subject of threads to help keep the insanity at bay. Lighthearted banter, jokes and diversions are exactly what folk's need. And the more of our members who will get involved, means more who we can help escape the anxiety the media is spewin'.

Greybelt, I'm happy to hear the Mrs. is steadily mendin'. And I know that almost all of the Gerry Anderson animation is available on one of the free streamin' services. I think it's Tubi but I'll have to check. They even had almost all of the hard to find series' on there.

CDM, It's great to hear that Ya got in touch with nightkey, but it worries me that Harlow Wilcox hasn't been heard from in so long. He and I got involved in The Cobalt Club around the same time. I hate when long time online friends just disappear. But many just decide to take a break and eventually return. Let's hope that's the case here.

We're under a "Shelter in place" order here, for the next two weeks. And I've been informed that I'm on paid leave at work through at least mid April. I've been on a break from OTR for a few months now. But I think I'll start settin' an hour aside each day and get back into it. We've got two Alexa driven smart speakers in the house and I know you're supposed to be able to link them to local computer data bases. Maybe I'll try to wrap my techno geek brain around that project while I'm battlin' the boredom.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 3/28/2020, 5:22 pm

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny, what's all the hubbub, Bub? Buck up, BB-Eyes, have a swig of swamp water." The mark of the balanced person is keeping your head when those around you are going crazy.

Boss, we're stormin' the Gates of Heaven for your family and all other good folks who are fighting off the minions of menace, And when you've irked the ire of Cobaltia, everything is possible. So far the fluctuating markets have left Ma Findley's Big Ass Hams unfazed, RC Cola is still flowing like crystalline waters at The Jump Jivin' Whale Room, and Ken Stucky's Southern Fraud Chicken is still turning on the spit with plenty of Ma Findley's Salt And Vinegar Possum Chips in full supply.

And out on the horizon nothing is going to stop Harley's Annual Jump over the Melville Water Tower, come hail or high water. Hey Barbara ReBop has just stocked in a freshly recrocked and steam cleaned Moose Head over Gentleman Jim Bolland's table, and we're still awaiting news that Scout Binky might have returned from his fact-finding mission from Rinjipidar in search of the rare Kimodo Dragon.

So take heart, folks. Food, drink and camaraderie still survive as we band together to provide safe haven.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 3/29/2020, 7:17 am

Has anyone heard from Harlow? I have a mailing address for him but not an e-mailing address. Did he stop posting after Mr Keen?

The Big Story Revealed! https://sites.google.com/view/thestoriesbehindthebigstory/
Casey, Crime Photographer episode analysis https://bluenotebulletin.blogspot.com/
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan on 4/3/2020, 12:24 pm

Greybelt, if you didn't read it check my message above from 3/28. Nothing from Harlow in weeks. I sent him a message about 3 weeks ago which would have also gone to his email. No response at all.

It's Friday again and with more rain coming down here it's more depressing than ever. Can't go anywhere or do anything. I'm not really able to work in the yard and can only go on short walks these days. It's a good job I have my faith as a comforter. Some folks must be going bonkers. And a big thanks to all those folks, including some of our governors who despite all the warnings from the country's medical experts are still failing to do the right thing at this time. You should all be ashamed of yourselves!

Stay home if you are able and take care of your self and your loved ones folks.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 4/3/2020, 1:27 pm

CDM, I hear and feel your pain. Checkins are basically going to run together now. I got up, worked played with doggo. Worked, read listened to vinyl. Worked out and tried to stay positive. Check in the posts here every day.

Can't really walk down to the beach with doggo as people still refuse to keep their distance. I get really upset when people come to close. People are down on the beach with kids like its a Sunday in the park. We have a nice backyard So I chase the doggo around that every morning which is exercise for the both of use.

We never had to go out and hoard as we always have a full pantry of canned food at all times. And thats not because we hoard we just buy when things are on sale. Being vegan lentils and chickpeas are the basis of most of our meals. Luckily we can get fresh fruit and veg weekly.

We began baking more again. We have spurts of that. Now we bake sourdough bread every week and sourdough waffles which are amazing and herbed sourdough. Created another starter and am feeding that daily to run my bread factory. I could never get the right type of bread at shops so now I have perfected the bread I like. Small things like having a house filled with the smell of cooking bread help.

I intend to master a vertical hydroponic rig so we can grow our own veg I am putting together some designs as I think home food security is a new reality. I can actually grow 90% of the ingredients we use to cook so thats my, I am going to master this while I am indoors so I get a positive out of the whole thing.

So as is my mantra. Stay indoors, stay safe, wash your hands if you go out to shop when you get home unpack your groceries wash your hands then have hot beverage to flush your mucus lining in throat. That will help you stay healthy.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 4/3/2020, 3:28 pm

Today started with an accomplishment -- the Casey log is as far as it can be taken -- go to https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com/t371p150-casey-crime-photographer#13061 for the download link and also some of the help I need that I hope can come from Cobaltia in some manner.

Good weather here so grilling makes us happy because we have a greater variety of food to cut through the boredom of this all. I know what date it is but not as certain what day it is without karate classes and church to set frames of time reference.

No word from Harlow at all -- sent an e-mail and have done searches for him and his address and other things I know to learn if there is any news. Zilch!!! Ugh!!!

This weekend I'll get back into Suspense high gear once more -- lots to do, especially evaluating some of these cassettes I've been transferring. I have some non-OTR writing projects I've wanted to do that have been waiting for my attention. Will be nice to have a change for a few days to free the mind up so I can figure out how to tackle getting the Casey stuff into a book format.

Gosh, I miss baseball... been streaming last year's games and picking only the ones where my Mets win! Rumor has it MLB will start in mid-June after a short spring training redux, 30-man rosters instead of 26, no All-Star game (it's been a waste for the last 30+ years anyway), and a least a week of empty stadium play, which will seem very very strange.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 4/3/2020, 4:56 pm

I bought the Criterion Collection edition of Chaplin's *The Circus* (commented on today in the Balcony) and may start a Chaplin-A-Thon this weekend, I enjoyed it so.

I may follow Greybelt's lead and do some grilling since we've hit sixty degrees, but I'll do it behind a barbed wire fence so the neighbors can't get close.

The Basement Project is nearing completion, with Swiffering evey square inch of it this weekend. And I bought the last *Star Wars* film on Blu-Ray so that will make its way into our heads as well.

I may even try my hand at making my own hand sanitizer from the trailings of Ma Findley's Big Ass Ham which we are still grazing on with our RC Cola and Moon Pies. Hope all is well with Cobaltians everywhere--and special prayers going out to Seamus's family. (The tunnel took the wrong turn at Albuquerque and is now flooded, so the pumps are working at full capacity)
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 4/3/2020, 7:32 pm

I'm so happy that we still have the Friday Check-In. That's how I know what day it is. Right now they all seem to be the same day over and over. Maybe I need to dig out my copy of Groundhog Day.

I think I'll dig out the old bicycle and service it. Then start taking a daily ride in the sun. Lately, I've taken the couch potato thing to extremes.

I hope everyone's doing well. Be safe out there.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 4/7/2020, 6:39 am

We've been concerned about Harlow's absence lately -- but I got a note and he's fine!

"Sorry it took me so long to respond to your email. I have been distracted with so many other matters lately. I am doing well. I haven't been around the Cobalt Club lately but I need to pop in and get caught up. If anyone wants to know you sure are welcome to tell them... Thank you for your concern and for reaching out."

Whew!

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 4/7/2020, 10:30 am

greybelt wrote:We've been concerned about Harlow's absence lately -- but I got a note and he's fine!

"Sorry it took me so long to respond to your email. I have been distracted with so many other matters lately. I am doing well. I haven't been around the Cobalt Club lately but I need to pop in and get caught up. If anyone wants to know you sure are welcome to tell them... Thank you for your concern and for reaching out."

Whew!

Thank You greybelt. That's excellent news.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlow Wilcox on 4/7/2020, 5:51 pm

Hello to my fellow Cobaltians! I'm sorry if i worried anyone about not being around lately. Life has been very full. In addition to work I have a spouse with serious health issues that she has been dealing with for several years. So, I wear many hats!. Regular work, Care provider, grocery shopper Smile and just about everything else that one must do on a routine basis on the household level. I know this is something greybelt has had to learn how to do. Smile It makes for a busy life sometimes. It's amazing how it can be a full time job almost doing everything around the house.
I appreciate being missed. I didn't think anyone would notice. I'm looking forward to continuing on with the club here. I hope everyone is doing well.
Harlow

P.S. To Completedayman: I must have somehow overlooked your email or perhaps it didn't come through, otherwise I would have responded. Sorrry about that!
Harlow Wilcox
Harlow Wilcox

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 4/7/2020, 8:00 pm

Way to go, Harlow. Several of us here in Cobaltia are caregivers. My wife has had Multiple Sclerosis since the late seventies, so you're not alone in picking up the work and shouldering the loads we've gladly accepted if it means we make our wives' (and husbands' and family's) lives a bit easier.
Carry on, brother.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 4/7/2020, 10:04 pm

Howdy Harlow. Yes, you've been missed. But we certainly understand keeping priorities straight. My wife also has disabilities. Not on a severe level, thank goodness. But I know where my time will be centered if/when they do become severe. We most certainly don't want to add to your time constraints. So, you worry about taking care of that lady. It sounds to me like you're a fortunate man, who found a real treasure to enrich your life. And that's one of the greatest gifts life can grant us.

So, if/when you have a moment to pop in and say hi... we'll treasure that. Because friends (even online/never met em' in person friends) are another of those great gifts in life. Many prayers and much positive energy are headed your way.

Be well my friend. You take care of that lady. The lights will always be on for you here.

Space
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlow Wilcox on 4/8/2020, 10:23 am

Thank you so much Space and Ghemrats for your words of encouragement. It means a lot to me.
Next month will be our 30th Wedding Anniversary!
Harlow Smile
Harlow Wilcox
Harlow Wilcox

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 4/8/2020, 12:40 pm

Great to see you back Harlow. We were about to round up a posse and hit the trail to find you. Stay safe.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 4/10/2020, 10:58 am

Another week ticked off the calendar. Safe indoors. The weather is nice so I am not complaining. We have a nice backyard for me and the doggo to run around in. Make sure he gets his daily exercise and so do I. Very important to have a schedule so at least you get up. Easy to get depressed and stay in bed.

Check ins here are important for everyone. So keep that up people. Its Easter weekend so the bunny will still come. If you see him please maintain social distancing he has a lot of houses to visit.

I got some nice vegan comfort dishes like Irish stew planned for the weekend and shepherds pie. Everyone loves hearty comfort food. I made a bunch of "Healthier" Easter treats. Still loads of cals but no additives or added junk.

Whats everyone doing ?
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum