The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Check In

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Friday Check In - Page 17 Empty Re: Friday Check In

Post by CompleteDayMan on 6/19/2020, 5:42 am

Glad to hear your good news Space, but please take extra care when you do return.

I continue to be head down on my various projects, including a return to the LUX upgrading process which ground to a halt at the end of January. So many shows over so many years! I'm also plodding along with documenting Vaughn Monroe shows in collaboration with a Swedish collector and transferring a batch of recently acquired ETs.

Mrs CDM and I continue to walk each morning, except for days when it's way too hot or the air quality is crappy. We manage 2.5 to 3 miles a day although we used to do what Greybelt is currently doing.

Keep safe and out of the way all.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 6/19/2020, 7:55 am

Folks I have a huge Jasmin bush in the back yard and its in full bloom and the smell at night is amazing. Simple pleasures in life.

Staying healthy and positive. Its a been a rainy week but the doggo gets into his raincoat with hood and is more than happy to have a go at a walk. Maybe more scents in the air with the rain. I love a good walk in the rain and we are talking the misters not torrential. We got in 25km this week in walks and our full workouts. Good eating and its not been bad. Lucky to live in what amounts to a village down by the sea. Since I work for myself now I am not really that effected by the strange and unusual times.

Looks like a lot of good stuff coming up on Netflix. I am looking forward to Dark next week and a show about warrior Nuns. What could possibly go wrong with a show like that.

I am now trying to make my own ginger beer the old fashion botanical way with mould. Lets see how that goes.

Stay safe everyone. Space enjoy your back to work time and if you buy a bike the Indian of course the Harley bobber is so blah...
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 6/19/2020, 10:03 am

Happy Juneteenth and Father's Day on Sunday to all Cobaltians.

One of my favorite former students asked me to be on her podcast examining creativity, so we'll be coordinating that. Early next week we'll be treated to a visit from our younger son and daughter-in-law for the first time since the Covid-explosion. And organizing the movie collection is coming along well.

Hot weather, but good humor and health. A celebratory salute to Space's upcoming safe travels and returns, and a tip of the Irish tweed cap to all.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 6/19/2020, 3:34 pm

Thanks guys. I've gotta admit that I'm approaching the return to work with much trepidation. While I'm in disgustingly good condition for some one closing in on 62 years old, my wife has a damaged immune system. So I have to worry about what I might bring home to her. And as I was telling Jeff a few days ago off board, we've got a trip to Vegas in a month that we may have to cancel. We badly want to go, because two of our grandsons live there with our daughter. And we haven't seen them in a year. Since we actually have a two week window, I've even considered driving to Vegas. But we'll just have to wait and see.

The week in general has been typically boring. The wife and I have been tearing up Amazon. Odds and ends needed to make the Vegas trip more enjoyable. Plus I needed to find a travel case for my Nintendo Switch. The grandsons have one and I wouldn't be surprised if we got involved in some serious digital warfare, racing and adventuring.

And if Ya wanna talk about a nerd fest, my daughter, oldest grandson and some day to be son in-law are heavily in to old school D&D. Guess who else was a dungeon crawler when D&D was new?
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 6/21/2020, 12:46 pm

Happy Fathers Day lads.... hope you're all basking in the love of family and like me, recovering from a food coma.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 6/21/2020, 2:51 pm

Ditto on that, Boss.

And, Space, I just got off the phone with my sons, and our younger son (who's nearly thirty) and his friends are totally swept up in the resurgence of the original D&D. Synchronicity rules again!

Enjoy the day, folks.
Jeff
Jeff

ghemrats

Space Cadet likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 6/22/2020, 2:39 am

I'm a simple man... all I ask for Father's Day comes from the supermarket chain Publix: a piece of Danish ring at breakfast, a gourmet burger fresh from the meat dept and grilled to perfection, and some carrot cake -- twice. One needs their vegetables in a well-balanced meal, after all.

The Big Story Revealed! https://sites.google.com/view/thestoriesbehindthebigstory/
Casey, Crime Photographer episode analysis https://bluenotebulletin.blogspot.com/
Interviews of OTR collectors and others https://sites.google.com/view/dr-joes-otr-interviews/home
greybelt
greybelt

Space Cadet and Seamus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 6/22/2020, 2:26 pm

Jeff, I find myself carefully hopeful for many of the youth in our world. Rather than synchronicity, I'd like to think that our younger people are beginning to appreciate imagination again.  The resurgence pencil and paper D&D is just one example. I'm also finding that more and more young people are embracing the printed page again.

GB, you forgot that a glass of wine counts as a serving of fruit and beer counts as a serving of grain. My Father's Day indulgence was King Crab, shrimp and amenities. I find myself craving fresh oysters on the half shell. But the time's not right for that.

And finally, the wife's doctor today cleared her for the flight to Vegas in a few weeks. With precautions and assuming things don't get a lot worse before then. We're totally stoked.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 6/26/2020, 9:26 am

Lads, I gotta say I find it a bit worrying all the new cases spiking all over the USA and watching people being so careless and all the moronic sounds bytes from people who find it an affront to wear a mask to protect themselves and others. I suggest those folks have a gander at the Spanish flu.

Stay safe you guys and as always the case look after you and let the morons look after themselves this a pandemic you cannot out-stupid this virus.

Here staying safe wearing a mask when in public and damn happy to do so and pretty happy almost everyone else is wearing masks a small price to pay to ride this out to vaccine. Then the antivax morons will roll out. The future was supposed to be smart seems the Internet has allowed idiots to group inside bullshit bubbles and hear all the same moronic stories.

So this week its been roasting last night we had an amazing fireworks display of lightning, thunder and rain. First really big loud storm my doggo has been in. He lay on his back feet in the air snoring on the bed not a care in the world. So that was good to see.

Books and vinyl has been my week the good things in life. One of our walks this week was through gentle rain both the doggo and I loved that. Then hot day we got up early to beat the heat was roasting on the leg home but we made it before it go to hot for Blue. Never walk your dog when its too hot. The hot pavement hurts their pads and they cannot cool quick enough.

Tomorrow I will be binging the final season of Dark I loves me some dubbed German Sci-Fi.

Whats everyone else up to while we live in these strange and unusual times.....
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan on 6/26/2020, 10:31 am

I totally agree with you Seamus. Our county here has finally mandated the wearing of masks in public spaces - businesses etc, but it took an almost doubling of the per diem cases to make that happen. Gov. Abbott this morning closed down the bars again and severely limited inside restaurant service. And why? Because of the younger folks and yahoos not bothering or caring to protect others. So disappointing. I think basic common sense has gone out of the window - it's all about me, my needs and what I want.

On a little lighter note, I celebrated my 75th birthday on Monday - tucked away here at home. We had originally planned a big bash, using our church hall, but that had to be canceled some time back. I just hope we are able to have a party once the crummy-crud has been defeated, whenever that is.

Have a great week all.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Seamus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 6/26/2020, 11:42 am

I plan to spend the weekend shaking my head over the death of Common Sense.

Coronavirus alerts have lurched up 150%, and how can people not realize it might have some causal relationship with not observing social distancing and not wearing masks? While the mass of the US (which ironically will not be allowed in other countries--what a switch. Will our neighbors north and south start building walls to keep us out?) are an intelligent, salient species, we still breed clusters of myopic naysayers who think it's a national sport to try stopping circulating fans by placing their tongues into the path of the spinning steel blades.

On another note, happy belated birthday, CDM! I thank God every day that we have Cobaltia to harbor our escape into sanity.
Jeff

ghemrats

Seamus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 6/26/2020, 12:59 pm

Yes I heard a certain king bullshitter say the silent majority and this is bullshit. I lived and worked in the USA for years. Met and worked with nothing but good people. What you have is the micro amount of people now have the Internet and Facebook to spread their bullshit. Why all this fake bullshit is being spread Zuckerberg sits in his bubble as that fuck has zero ethics or any sense of morality, making money hand over fist on advertising and selling your data. So what the Internet has done is amplify the small moronic contingents who are fed by Murdochs Fox and here is reality fox viewership is just over 3.5 million on average while 90 million get their news from apps. So here you have a tiny and I mean tiny demographic of racist fucks who watch that news and believe its real and they are majority and people who believe in science and anti racism are the minority. I mean you have a debate about is racism good and these asses are don't change anything.  I just watched a women testify in Florida that masks are against God as he put in this beautiful breathing system. Another told the doctor at the hearing she was not only being arrested but going to hell. That same God also put all the scientists in place to help.... But nah even when we are making up bullshit stories we are very selective about what bullshit we believe.

Now I am finished that rant I am signing up for this course and can you all signup with me so we can get a CC group rate.

https://magisterium.online/free-course/

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CDM
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Space Cadet and ghemrats like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 6/26/2020, 3:02 pm

Let's take care of the important stuff first. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CDM!

Now, having taken care of that, I went back to work Monday. We're under very heavy restrictions, which are uncomfortable to say the least. But at least they're doing their best to try to keep people safe. Having spent the past three months mostly sitting on the smarter end of me, my legs and lower back have been in a state of rebellion. But it's getting better.

Don't get me started on the current state of the "Information Age". The internet, with it's ability to distribute knowledge and information, could be the greatest boon in the history of mankind. Instead, it's given the loudest voices to the ignorant and those with an agenda to promote.

As for the thought processes in play in world today, let me offer you this from my personal experience. I know a young man who plays countless hours of hyper violent, hyper realistic video games with his eight year old son. He also believes that censoring Elmer Fudd's shotgun and Yosimite Sam's six shooters is a good thing. Because exposure to those might have influenced his son to become violent.

*Edit*

OOPS, I almost forgot. This isn't meant as a promotion for the site. But if there are any Robert A. Heinlein fans in the group, you've gotta check out the merch on this site. I've already ordered a TANSTAAFL tee shirt. And I'll probably go back for a few more goodies.
https://www.heinleinbooks.com/gift-shop?fbclid=IwAR1bAZfJw9O8XPLkO4veJHuK4dzewalCHDf73TmKG59BtpFpcNhOlC2bE5w
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Seamus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 6/26/2020, 3:30 pm

Love that site. Have Space Suit Will Travel was one of my absolute fave books of all time as a kid.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 7/3/2020, 11:22 am

Namaste friends a joyful Friday to you. I am in a zen mood. A rainy week but doggo and I went out anyway and enjoyed it more. Doggo had his raincoat on me just two t-shirts wear when bike riding. I like the rain its warm so not a worry. Nothing better than a nice walk to keep your spirits up.

Lots of new vinyl and books hit the manor house this week. I must remember to jump into the vinyl cafe and post about those.

Absolutely standard week here. Work, walks, exercising and laughter. My routine is set now so not changing much since they lifted lockdown here. Eyes are open for spikes so far so good we see how that goes when they allow visitors from other countries. Its all a matter of time.

This week I began watching the Timothy Hutton Nero Wolfe series from the 90's totally brilliant. I love the ensemble cast that plays different characters in each episode. The style the wit the great acting its just a real treat. I am rationing the 2 seasons. I am a bit of a binger I have been fighting that lately as I only budget 2 hrs a night for TV now. Not living my life inside Netflix though its not a bad thing. I bought a ton of books was aiming for 150 books read this year am now reading book 165 so I am way ahead of last year you would think a damn pandemic happened to keep me home reading or something...

Whats everyone else doing and watching, reading, listening to? building or making...
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

ghemrats likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 7/3/2020, 11:54 am

Well, I just finished Brian Wilson's autobiography *I Am Brian Wilson* and Stephen King's *If It Bleeds*, and now I'm junk-rushing through James Patterson's *The Beach House* before I dive into Walter Mosley's new novel *Trouble Is What I Do* and Peter Swanson's *Eight Perfect Murders*. (I save the more challenging stuff for winter)

Just picked up three vinyl pressings--*The Beach Boys Love You*, *Summer Days (And Summer Nights)* and Angel Olsen's *All Mirrors*--with some MP3 downloads of Five Alarm Funk's newest, *Big Smoke*.

Not much planned as the heat index is stifling, with a predicted 100+ degrees this weekend. I will brave the heat on the Fourth to grill a steak and some hot dogs, but stay in the cool central air most of the time, still laboring away on taxes.

Stay safe, y'all. (I have dipped into John Bolton's book, but weighing in at over 500 pages, it will be slow going with a guarantee of apoplexy)
Jeff

ghemrats

Seamus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 7/3/2020, 1:39 pm

Tell me how the Bolton book turns out I am wondering how that story ends. Lemme guess Asshat warhawk instead of testifying waits to write book comes off looking like a double asshat while admitting he watched a cheeto sell out his own country and did nothing. I am thinking without reading it that might be the gist of it.....
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 7/3/2020, 3:27 pm

DAMMIT!!! THE VEGAS TRIP IS CANCELLED!!!

There's just too much risk right now to the wife with the damaged immune system. And we'd hate to pick up the big nasty along the way and take it to the daughter and grandsons. So, we're gonna try to reschedule when things hopefully get closer to "normal".

I had a long and patient discussion with a young man yesterday. He was trying to convince me that modern "Metal" was the only real rock music and that it was invented by Metallica. I was explaining to him that he was ignorant on the subject and should do a little research. He then got really upset and shouted "I'M NOT STUPID". It took me 15 minutes to to make him understand that the words "Stupid" and "Ignorant" have very different definitions. And that one is a tragedy, while the other is a choice. I finally convinced hit do do a web search for "The History of Rock and Roll" and we could talk about it in a few days. I wonder what I got myself into?

I've become fascinated with cooking with beer. So this weekend I'll be experimenting with Guinness Stout. I'm pretty sure some of it will be accidentally drank.

Seamus, my TANSTAAFL tee shirt should be here Tuesday. I'll let you know about the quality, just in case you might consider ordering from there.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Seamus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 7/3/2020, 3:51 pm

Real rock invented by Metallica I could go on a 3,2333,444 day rant on this one and never cover the same point twice.

ROFLMAO

And I use a dark ale in my stew the alcohol burns off and you get a nice taste to the stew. I also use a dark ale in my fruit cakes. I soak the fruit in beer for a whole week topping off to keep wet. Its everything to the taste of the cake.

Groovy I want some have spacesuit will travel merch and why don't they have Stranger in a Strange Land if that ain't relevant for the time we live in I don't know what is....
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Space Cadet and ghemrats like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 7/3/2020, 4:15 pm

As Will Rogers said, everybody's ignorant, only on different subjects. Hey, Space, let's debate how Led Zeppelin caused the Hindenburg disaster. . . Evil or Very Mad
Jeff

ghemrats

Space Cadet likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 7/3/2020, 4:49 pm

ghemrats wrote:Hey, Space, let's debate how Led Zeppelin caused the Hindenburg disaster. . . Evil or Very Mad
Jeff

We'll just ask Keith Richards. Apparently he has been and will continue to be alive forever.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet on 7/3/2020, 5:30 pm

Seamus wrote:Real rock invented by Metallica I could go on a 3,2333,444 day rant on this one and never cover the same point twice.

ROFLMAO

And I use a dark ale in my stew the alcohol burns off and you get a nice taste to the stew. I also use a dark ale in my fruit cakes. I soak the fruit in beer for a whole week topping off to keep wet. Its everything to the taste of the cake.

Groovy I want some have spacesuit will travel merch and why don't they have Stranger in a Strange Land if that ain't relevant for the time we live in I don't know what is....

1) I introduced him to some early blues but he couldn't get the connection. That's when I suggested he research it on his own.

2) I tend to braise the meat for any stews I put together. Guinness braised beef or lamb shanks sounds interesting.

3) Yeah, the only "Stranger" merch they offer right now are some "Grok" tees. I have a first edition of HSSWT. It's a retired library copy, but it's the graphic cover first edition. I pull it or another of my old hardcovers out once in a while. Suddenly I'm a 12 year old, sitting in the window sill on a summer afternoon exploring the universe through Heinlein. It was all juvie novels at that point. But a year or two later I hit the hard stuff. Then that exploration really took off.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 7/5/2020, 5:31 am

Its a funny old world when you get into discussions of when the first Rock & Rock songs appeared. Some say the first real rock & roll song was Ike Turners Rocket 88 in 1951 and of course Bill Hailey and the Comets with rock around the clock. The term rock being used to describe dancing around the clock to the hip jive they were laying down. The emergence of rock & roll can be traced to the memphis african american live club scene. Even Elvis himself said he learnt everything about rock & roll there. Even the swinging of his hips that scandalised early American Mom's and Dad's.

More obscure but a huge influence was some amateur musicians who sadly played live but never recorded but those live shows really got the ball rolling. One such show as at a high school prom. The Annotated History of Rock and Roll describes a prom in 1955 called The Enchantment Under the Sea prom a cat call Martin (Marty) McFly played there and electrified the audience with his outlandish guitar playing. In a story told by Chuck Berry he remembers his cousin Marvin calling him directly from the gig and he said he heard the most amazing sound. He later recorded Johnny B. Goode from that overheard concert. So you see rock & roll is a melting pot of influences but it sure as tooting did not start with or could it ever be coined in any conversation about Metallica. Where is McFly today? no one knows some of the people who were at that event and are old now say he disappeared shortly after and no one ever saw him again. A little bit like Gene Vincent some say....
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

artatoldotr and ghemrats like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus on 7/10/2020, 6:02 am

Friday check in folks. Got a big delivery of vinyl today. And a lot of it I don't really remember ordering. Most of it was pre-covid and these small pressing plants shut down. Now they are making up their deliveries and my other orders were surprise me and some I liked one I didn't. Not really that big a fan of Eagles hotel california that came as one of my surprises its a 180g audiophile disc. But my main probs is the members of the Eagles were really awful people mainly speaking Henley and Frey. But we add it to the collection. Got Cranberries first album was happy about that as I did not have it on vinyl only on CD. Some Aretha which is always welcome. Some Irish folk and some Irish reggae... yeah I know Irish reggae I am giving a go. And some pressings of unknown local bands. Sometimes you get gems.

Many books were read and many walks were had this week. Rain or shine. I am now starting to really enjoy going out in a light mist doggo has his full rain coat on so looks the part. I well my cycle gear and gotta say really enjoy that. We have been going farther afield now looking for new roads and sights. And old Ireland she never disappoints. Everything in full bloom. Have a lot of wild oregano growing around here and jasmine so the smells are delish.

Got some sourdough waffles mix made from my starter Boru rising for tonights waffles as why not waffles for dinner? Will be making bread tomorrow so place will be smelling good. I did a ton of baking this week. More than maybe I should. But thankfully in my reality baking is calorie free cos that's what I tells myself. So no one shatter my illusion.

Watched Warrior Nuns and it was quite good. Was expecting more crazy fighting and they actually threw in plot and character development.

What's everyone else doing?

Stay safe, wear a mask, respect your elders and enjoy summer...
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats on 7/10/2020, 10:35 am

In Michigan we're slowly melting from the heat and humidity, six days in a row of 90+ temperatures. I picked up a couple classic Beach Boys albums--Beach Boys Love You, and Summer Days (and Summer Nights) after reading Brian Wilson's memoir.

Next I think it will be Hedy Lemarr's opus or *Shakespeare For Squirrels* by Christopher Moore. I'm streaking through James Patterson's new novel *The Summer Home* and burning a few discs (actually I could just leave them outside and the sun would do all the work).

I still recommend you be the person about whom is asked "Who was that masked man (or woman)?" and who carries a six foot pole to stave off others.
Jeff

ghemrats

Seamus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum