The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Check In

+16
JimBollman
Seamus
Tom-In-Ohio
pnussbaum
Harlow Wilcox
paulgeaf
CompleteDayMan
greybelt
Space Cadet
toebig
otrwashh
Bill_Atkins
artatoldotr
ghemrats
mjnunes84
Wildcat44
20 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Friday Check In - Page 4 Empty Re: Friday Check In

Post by Seamus 7/12/2019, 12:40 pm

Friday check in folks. So Stranger Things S3 was binged in one night and thoroughly enjoyed. Way better than S2 that separated 11 from the kids. So much to say but nothing yet don't want to spoil it for everyone.

Weather here has been roasting and will be the same on the weekend. I have to get some work done so will do that while taking it easy.

Kept on with my continuing saga to find new vinyl to listen to. A long term project no doubt. I found a ultra rare Paul Robson LP from the 50's but it was so scratched up you could not play it. Looked like someone had played it with a fork.

So what's everyone else up to?
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 7/12/2019, 3:20 pm

Some strange insects are showing up around here. Never seen them before. They keep coming up out of the big cracks that have formed as a result of the earthquake. The cracks in the ground keep getting bigger and the insects are getting bigger also. Last night they were the size of a house cat. This morning as big as a medium size dog.

Oh no another large aftershock. The crack is widening. It wasn't an aftershock it was a monster insect forcing it's way to the surface.

Just kidding of course. But it would make a good "B" sci fi film for the 50's.

Have a great weekend.

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 7/12/2019, 4:33 pm

toebig wrote:Some strange insects are showing up around here. Never seen them before. They keep coming up out of the big cracks that have formed as a result of the earthquake. The cracks in the ground keep getting bigger and the insects are getting bigger also. Last night they were the size of a house cat. This morning as big as a medium size dog.

Oh no another large aftershock. The crack is widening. It wasn't an aftershock it was a monster insect forcing it's way to the surface.

Just kidding of course. But it would make a good "B" sci fi film for the 50's.

Have a great weekend.

Now I've gotta dig up a copy of The Deadly Mantis.
\

And my weekend is supposed to revolve around pickin' a VPN service for a tryout.
Drags out soapbox...

How in the world can Ya find fair and unbiased reviews for services and products these days??? Guess what??? If they offer a convenient link to the product from their page, or as happens very often, they offer a discount code for the service they reviewed, it ain't unbiased. It's a commercial for a product they're makin' a profit from...

End of Rant!!!
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Location : Been put out to pasture, gone to seed or something like that

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by otrwashh 7/12/2019, 4:56 pm

Just finished the most recent season of Endeavour.  Am now
up-to-date with the Morse/Lewis/Endeavour trilogy.

Particularly enjoyed how they got Chief Superintendent Bright
out of his encounter with the two would be killers.

Last edited by otrwashh on 7/12/2019, 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
otrwashh
otrwashh

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 7/12/2019, 5:02 pm

I really enjoy Endeavour. Did not think anyone could top John Thaw but I really like the younger Morse and seeing what created the older Morse how he basically killed himself politically by not playing the game. I have been in Oxford 28 times in the last two years as I work with Oxford University Trust on projects. I have seen Endeavour being filmed and have been to most locations of the show. The hotel I stay in has a Morse and a Lewis room. Beautiful location. I will dig out pics and post them here.

We always joke when going to Oxford that one of us will get killed in the library and the others will have to solve the crime.

Space just wait for Musk he give you best deal on Space X interweb LOL if he does not destroy half the orbiting hardware in his pursuit of universal broadband.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 7/12/2019, 5:59 pm

Thanks Space Cadet. The trailer brought back memories. I can remember seeing that in the movies. Yep, I actually paid to see it LOL.

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 7/12/2019, 6:30 pm

toebig wrote:Thanks Space Cadet. The trailer brought back memories. I can remember seeing that in the movies. Yep, I actually paid to see it LOL.

Actually, I remember my parents loadin' up the whole flock and seein' it at a drive-in durin' the earliest part of my mis-spent youth. So, technically I paid for it too. And many around here know that I love a cheesy movie. And can totally geek out over 50's Sci-Fi B movies and 60's Japanese monster movies. And has anyone heard any updates on the live action Jonny Quest movie, that people were talkin' about some time back? Please, don't let it turn out like John Cater of Mars did!!!

Boss, I don't have time to wait for the Space Ox. I've gotta deal with cyber spooks in real time.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 7/19/2019, 12:47 pm

Friday check in. Another lovely warm summer day in Ireland. Had the day off so was out and about doing this and that. As I get older I will admit it sucks to work during the summer months. But I have this crazy need to eat and keep a roof over my head. But I sure would like to work less in summer. Its gorgeous here and I cannot see a reason to bust my ass to be old and retired and doing nothing. So taking as much time as I can off and enjoying life.

Waiting for a couple of shows to watch as I have binged everything. I know space I am a serial binger cannot help myself.

Whats everybody up to.... I want full deets I expect crazy....
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by otrwashh 7/19/2019, 3:24 pm

I learned when I retired, the week changed.  
The week now consists of 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday.

There is bad news too.
You no longer get holidays off.
But the good news is that no one checks on you.

Watched a bunch of the episodes from the earlier seasons of Endeavour.
Really enjoyed them.
otrwashh
otrwashh

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 7/19/2019, 3:52 pm

Boss, I'd never criticize how another enjoys their various entertainments. For me, I have to consider how much I enjoy a certain show and how much of it there is. If it's somethin' with multiple seasons that I've newly discovered, I might go full on binge. But If I really enjoy it, I'll start to slow down and savor it more toward the end.

As for my weekend, I don't have any major commitments for a change and intend to do a pretty good impression of a potato... the couch variety. That will include watchin' A Face In the Crowd on Jeff's recommendation. I'm a very fortunate Space Case, in that I get to see Jeff's daily film recommendations. There are those who think he should start a film blog, and I'm one of em'.

I'll also spend a couple of hours each day abusin' a guitar I'm supposed to be learnin' to play. For some reason, every time I do that, I start to hear voices... very rude and profane voices...

Hmmm... maybe I'm a ghost riffer...
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 7/19/2019, 5:48 pm

O Great Turban'd One, in Michigan the weather's on a tear. The air cloaks you like a wool blanket, and the mercury is racing up the glass  at fever pitch. So I'm lying low in the air conditioning: one of the few blessings we gleaned from my wife's MS requiring the cool.

There are so many Netflix shows on I can't catch up: We'll be starting and perhaps finishing *Stranger Things 3*, I want to watch the remaining two new episodes of *Black Mirror*, and in the meantime buzz through the twenty-some-odd new {to me} TV episodes of *Space Patrol* I bought on DVD, bringing the whole collection to just under 100 shows.

I finished reading Taylor Jenkins Reid's *The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo*, which fell in line with her new book *Daisy Jones and the Six* but focused on Hollywood instead of '60s-70s rock scene; I liked both novels. Now I'm delving into *The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle* (What is it with sevens and Evelyns these days?).

As Space has indicated, I'm also posting observations on movies, one a day, on Facebook, having just finished #74 today with the Robin Williams/Holly Hunter black comedy *The Big White*. Tonight it'll be a mystery. [Last night I watched Sebastian Guiterrez's *Women In Trouble* with an amazing cast including Carla Gugino, Connie Britton, Josh Brolin, and others, but did not post it on FB.  It was amusing with some great acting, but Sweet Fancy Moses, it was far more filled with S*X than I anticipated. No nudity, just frank language that curled my teeth. Phew. But here's the trailer if you want to see for yourself. . . . https://youtu.be/jT_CANojTOE  I also have the sequel starring Carla Gugino, and I hope it's not so. . . so]

Still cleaning the basement, prepping for the final overhaul starting week after next. So all in all, life is good as I pine away here for Ireland. . . .
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/19/2019, 8:58 pm

We're at an Newark NJ airport hotel conveniently located near a state prison and a NJ Turnpike toll plaza. What more could anyone want?

Tomorrow morning we have breakfast and then Lyft over to the cruise port for the Radio Spirits cruise. I'll post comments and pictures next week when we get back!

Geezer is on the cruise -- we will meet somewhere on board tomorrow. Plans are for me to do a collector interview with him. Hope I can get others, too!

Our stops are Bar Harbor, Maine (since we lived in New England for a while, we know it's really Bah Hahbah), St. John, New Brunswick, and then Halifax, Nova Scotia, all sandwiched between two sea days. Temps in our stops are supposed to be 75ish, which will be quite a nice change from our dog days of Summer in NC.

Have a great weekend and a great week!

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items https://sites.google.com/view/joehehnmemorialcollection/home
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 7/20/2019, 6:21 am

Everyones updates are so interesting. And yes please Ghem roll a movie review blog here for those of us who refuse to have social media. For reasons why I do not subscribe to such things read "Surveillance Capitalism" by Shoshana Zuboff. I am a huge proponent of not having my access to information filtered through non-transparent search algorithms, and my life used as fodder to train systems to target me better for sales. Down off my soapbox. I am writing this on a converted morse code teletype from my undisclosed bunker off the grid.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 7/20/2019, 2:45 pm

I just added a sample entry of my daily movie post in The Screening Room for anyone who might want a good film for the weekend. And thank you, O Great Turban'd One, for the recommendation. I will pick up a copy of that book and then retire into fearful isolation.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 7/26/2019, 5:29 pm

Friday check in. How is everyone doing today. Its been a nice warm week in Ireland. Not as hot as the the folks in Europe but this is God's country so we get the best of the weather.

I will be in Spain next week so hoping its not still as hot as this week. Good old Barcelona. Of course to prepare I always play Miles Sketches of Spain to prepare me. The reality is no where near Miles version.

It was busy at work which is fine. Here is my view on the way to work.

Friday Check In - Page 4 Blackr10

So whats everybody up to this week...
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 7/26/2019, 6:07 pm

I can't beat your post, Boss. So I'll join you with *Sketches of Spain* on the turntable, and add an extra movie post.
Safe travels.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by otrwashh 7/26/2019, 7:36 pm

Seamus,  thank you for the seacoast picture.  
It is one thing I miss living in Colorado.

I also love "Sketches of Spain."
For over 10 years I was a weekly volunteer at Public Radio station
that has a Jazz format.

When I lived on Puget Sound, I had access to a house on an island in the Sound.
One of my fondest memories was being towed in a canoe by the matriarch of a
Killer Whale pod for a few miles.

A reading assignment:
The Voyage of the Scarlet Queen episodes.
It is one of my favorite series.

Here are links for the plot summaries of the two missing episodes:
http://www.mwotrc.com/rr2016_08/scarlet-queen.htm

http://www.mwotrc.com/rr2016_10/scarlet_queen.htm

NOTE:
Elliott Lewis once had a complete set of transcription discs for ther series.
They were destroyed in a California wild fire.

Have a great weekend
otrwashh
otrwashh

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 7/27/2019, 9:27 am

Stewart, Jeff brilliant additions to the Friday Night check in. I look forward to this every week. Sure what can you say about Miles in the golden period before he went off the rails.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 8/2/2019, 10:35 am

Hey folks Friday checkin from gorgeously sunny Ireland. Nice day maybe 75F so very nice but not kill you in the street heat. I have a 4 day weekend with the bank holiday so I am relaxing. Just got back from Spain it was very hot there but very nice. Biz meetings went very well. Will be installing some stuff in Madrid, Barcelona and Naples Italy so not too shabby as locales to travel too.

Hunted for vinyl while over did not find a thing did find lots of other things. Only so much you can carry through an airport.

So my big plan for the weekend is to do my world class impression of an inanimate object. Just relaxing and maybe rolling through some of Ghems movie suggestions.

Whats everyone up to?
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 8/2/2019, 11:52 am

Well, it's been one heck of a week. We had to admit my lovely wife into Neurological Trauma ICU early Monday morning with bad disorientation which it turns out was due to a bladder infection and pneumonia. Whew. Yesterday she was moved out of the ICU (thank God) and now rests in the hospital. Between the pneumonia and her MS she's a pretty tired girl, but she's a fighter.

Our son flew into Michigan from Utah to help out, and our younger son and daughter-in-law are coming on Sunday, when Number One Son has to return home to Utah. All three of us Ghemrats men are celebrating wedding anniversaries on Monday. Yes, our sons thought we did a good enough job in marriage to get married on August 5 too. It'll be 41 years for Mrs. Ghemrats and me; we'll just celebrate it in the hospital.

But she's on the mend with the possibility of rehab, so we are counting our blessings, which are many. My weekend: more sleep, following your approach, Boss.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 8/2/2019, 12:06 pm

We'll be praying for a speedy recovery for your wife, and for God's comfort for you and your family.

It was 112 degrees here yesterday more to be expected today. This is almost normal for us. The canyon we live in is 4500 feet in elevation, but the mouth of the canyon faces north by northwest (sounds like a good name for a movie) so the heat reflects off the canyon walls and just increases as the day goes on. Typical high desert, it cool down rapidly as the sun goes down. I'd be crying about the cold if we were at 75 degrees. Just a matter of what you get use to.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Tom

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 8/2/2019, 1:30 pm

Thoughts are with you and your wife Jeff. Speedy recovery I am sending the good vibrations me and Brian Wilson.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 8/2/2019, 4:12 pm

Hey Jeff, congrats on all 3 wedding anniversaries. Hopefully, your wife will be able to join in the festivities.

Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 8/2/2019, 4:15 pm

Jeff, I hate to hear about the trials you've been going through this week. But I'm gladdened by the hopeful prognosis. And you're truly blessed to have a strong and caring family. I'm also sending along my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for Mrs. Ghemrats.

And on the subject of wives. Many of you know that my wife and I took a west coast trip not long ago. Mrs. Cadet has a pathological fear of flying and it took much cajoling to get her to make the four flights our trip required. We were blessed with four very smooth flights and my beloved "She Who Must Not Be Angered" was so encouraged by the experience, that she has finally consented to letting me take her to Hawaii for a couple of weeks. At this point, we're just in the earliest planning stage. And the time frame is within the next two years. But, it's on.

I'll also start working the idea to her, that since we're gonna be so far west, why not add a week or two in Japan to the trip. HEY, it's worth a try.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 8/2/2019, 5:56 pm

Thanks to all who have come to our rescue with good vibrations and excitations. Joyce is on a couple new IVs so recovery is on its way. We'll enjoy anniversaries regardless of the place--we are very well blessed indeed.

And, Space, domo arigato, fingers crossed for Japan. cheers
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next