The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A real scare last night

+4
Egg_Crisis
otrwashh
dbf
eliyahusimlevin
8 posters

Go down

A real scare last night Empty A real scare last night

Post by toebig 6/28/2019, 11:20 am

I don't know if I should even mention this, but I have to get it off my mind.

I've been consolidating my collection from bit and pieces spread over about ten different hard drives. I finished yesterday with all my wav, flac and mp3 files together, each on their own different hard drives. I was checking them out when I discovered to my horror that my wav files were gone. 84,000 shows in wav format that I couldn't find. After my initial panic, I told myself that it was no big deal because I had all my flac files, but the wav files were my baby. It took literally years to encode them from all my reel to reel tapes. To make a long story short, I did finally find another hard drive that I had put back on a shelf that had the wav files. So nothing was lost, but it sure did cause me heart palpitations (for which I have meds LOL).

Thanks for providing a place for me to vent.

Tom

toebig

Back to top Go down

A real scare last night Empty Re: A real scare last night

Post by otrwashh 6/28/2019, 12:11 pm

Glad to read that you had backups! Very Happy
otrwashh
otrwashh

Back to top Go down

Post by eliyahusimlevin 6/28/2019, 12:29 pm

Glad for you!
eliyahusimlevin
eliyahusimlevin

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzMan 6/28/2019, 1:41 pm

After all of that work I would have had a heart attack (if I didn't have DVD backups). That's about 7K reels (if its all reels) and years of .... WOW. Well, good for you and thank you for sharing

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 6/28/2019, 1:53 pm

Thanks for reminding me JazzMan, I do have dvd backups that I had forgotten about in my garage. I guess I should inspect them to make sure they are ok. Thank you all for your empathy.

Tom

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 6/28/2019, 2:27 pm

I'm in the middle of a huge cloud backup of everything with Backblaze - I'm a bit nervous until it's completed....I usually keep 2 backups of everything (cloud and other drive) but with WAVs and FLACs taking up so much space, I haven't been backing those up as much ..... but maybe I should consider...it's so easy for drives just to die ....*knock on wood*

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 6/28/2019, 3:20 pm

I know what you mean dbf, especially after what happened. I'm considering two HD's of everything. Plus I have my reels and old cd's and dvd's.

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by otrwashh 6/28/2019, 3:36 pm

toebig wrote:. . . I'm considering two HD's of everything.
Plus I have my reels and old cd's and dvd's.

You might consider having one of the HDs off-site in a safe deposit box
at your financial institution or with a friend.
otrwashh
otrwashh

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 6/28/2019, 3:38 pm

Good idea, thanks otrwashh.

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 6/28/2019, 9:41 pm

If you want to save a lot of disc space you should convert the wavs to flac. (You don't lose anything like with mp3, think of it like zip or rar - the file is smaller but all the original data is intact.)

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 6/28/2019, 9:45 pm

Hi Egg_Crisis, I do have everything in flac on a different hard drive, but when you spend years encoding from reel to reel going digital in wav files, well, I just didn't want to lose all that work, and thank God, I didn't lose it.

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 6/28/2019, 10:08 pm

You don't lose anything. Flac IS wav. You can convert a flac file back to wav later if you want the wav (to do some more work on it or whatever.) The wav will be identical in every way to the original.

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzMan 6/28/2019, 10:20 pm

[quote="toebig"]Hi Egg_Crisis, I do have everything in flac on a different hard drive, but when you spend years encoding from reel to reel going digital in wav files, well, I just didn't want to lose all that work, and thank God, I didn't lose it.[/quote]

I'm not going to get into the format wars ... been there done that ... I picked flac after the 2nd or 3rd week of digitizing stuff... I don't think I could have done wav.... especially when I got into 2nd gen reels and transcriptions. The storage requirements for that would have been prohibitive.

I definitely salute you on the dedication whatever way you decided to do it... I've digitized about 6k reels (Is it 8 or 10 years now) and I am still splitting up tracks from L1, L2, R1, R2 ... some day (it'll be a clear and crisp day in October ... year to be determined). What an awesome job! And thank God, you didn't lose it.

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 6/28/2019, 10:27 pm

JazzMan wrote:I've digitized about 6k reels (Is it 8 or 10 years now)

I've digitised about 1100 cassettes since I started in earnest about 10 months ago.  I keep finding more cassettes in cupboards and alcoves and little boxes on top of bookshelves.  The end is in sight, and when I've finished I never want to see a cassette again!

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 6/29/2019, 1:01 am

Been there, done that mainly with reels but I had a couple thousand cassettes too.

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Davenport 8/5/2019, 1:51 am

That would really get to me. I love wav & that is what my collection is in. I will even convert flac to wav because that is my preference. I will not collect anything from mp3.

Ted Davenport

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordon Johansen 8/5/2019, 2:00 am

I think we have all had similar things happen at some point. I know I have and have been just as lucky as you. I've also had it happen where the automatic backup wasn't working right so make sure you occasionally check file dates to see that recent changes are being made.

Gordon Johansen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Davenport 8/5/2019, 2:47 am

Egg_Crisis wrote:
JazzMan wrote:I've digitized about 6k reels (Is it 8 or 10 years now)

I've digitized about 1100 cassettes since I started in earnest about 10 months ago.  I keep finding more cassettes in cupboards and alcoves and little boxes on top of bookshelves.  The end is in sight, and when I've finished I never want to see a cassette again!

I have 25,000+ cassettes to convert!! I doubt if I live long enough.

Ted Davenport

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzMan 8/5/2019, 9:57 am

[quote="Ted Davenport"][quote="Egg_Crisis"][quote="JazzMan"]I've digitized about 6k reels (Is it 8 or 10 years now)[/quote]

I've digitized about 1100 cassettes since I started in earnest about 10 months ago.  I keep finding more cassettes in cupboards and alcoves and little boxes on top of bookshelves.  The end is in sight, and when I've finished I never want to see a cassette again![/quote]

I have 25,000+ cassettes to convert!! I doubt if I live long enough.[/quote]

I've converted a few of yours - Let me know if you want them back. Seriously though. The Cassettes go a lot faster than the reels. I'm just finishing up 1k and that took about 2 months with 2 decks, So maybe 4-5 yrs

JazzMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum