The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Escape

Go down

Escape Empty Escape

Post by Crunklydunks on 8/25/2019, 8:26 pm

I'm sure a lot of people already have an MP3 of this from the Radiola vinyl release, but this is an untouched FLAC that I just transferred from my own record, so it may be at least a bit better than the copy you have currently. It's the November 15, 1949 performance, so not the arguably better-known Vincent Price one from the next year.

Techical Notes: Looking at the file in my editing software, it does unfortunately appear that Radiola may have removed all of the high frequencies, probably to try to minimize surface noise from their master. That being said, I'm not sure what the frequency range of a good transcription disc is supposed to be so that could just be the limitations of the original recording. The actual show audio in this copy (minus surface noise and whatnot) seems to top out at around 7kHz.

Escape - 1949-11-15 - Three Skeleton Key [Radiola Vinyl].flac
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Crunklydunks

Back to top Go down

Escape Empty Re: Escape

Post by otrwashh on 8/25/2019, 11:05 pm

Thank for this FLAC file.

Here is an article I wrote on the Radio Enthusiasts of Puget Sound (REPS) Showcase IX (2001) Recreation of the 11/15/1949 Escape production of ‟Three Skeleton Key.‟

Take a classic story and superlative acting. Add great sound effects and music. Mix with skillful direction and engineering. Magic happens!  The power of "The Theater of the Mind" was never more evident than during the Showcase IX re-creation of the radio classic "Three Skeleton Key." In a 2000 REPS survey, this particular Escape episode was listed as one of the 'Top Radio Treasures of All Time."

This year, Showcase attendees not only had the opportunity to see and hear this classic tale, about the occupants of a lighthouse being attacked by hoards of ravenous rats, but it was performed by two of the three actors who appeared in the original Escape airing on November 15, 1949. Harry Bartell and Elliott Reid brought down the house with tour de force performances of their original roles, Auguste and Jean respectively. Herb Ellis who played the head lighthouse keeper, Louis, and also doubled as the announcer masterfully joined them. REPS member Christopher Conrad, son of actor William Conrad, who originated the role of Louis adeptly performed the Voice of Escape. The drama was heightened by the compelling music played by Randy McMillan, and fantastic sound effects created by Ray Erlenborn, Cheryl Jacobs, and  Bruce Pair. Deftly orchestrating this fine performance was director Frank Buxton. An incredible job by one and all!

The audience responded with a prolonged and well-deserved standing ovation.  Somehow, the performers had transported them back in time over 50 years into a broadcast studio during the Golden Age of Radio. Radio drama doesn't get any better than this!
otrwashh
otrwashh

Back to top Go down

Post by Crunklydunks on 8/26/2019, 1:16 am

Wow! Thank you for sharing that. Wish I could get in a time machine and be there myself. (Hah, although a time machine would certainly open up a heck of a lot of nostalgic opportunities in general...)

Crunklydunks

Back to top Go down

Post by otrwashh on 8/26/2019, 1:41 pm

THREE SKELETON KEY RAT SOUNDS

The late master sound effects Artist, Ray Erlenborn,
showed me how the two basic "rat" sounds,
gnawing and squealing, were done.

But, he swore me to secrecy and said I would be devoured by
5 million ravenous rats if I told the secrets  Smile
Also, the same fate would befall anyone I told  Smile.
Joking aside, here's how the sounds were made.  

The Gnawing Sound

was made by crushing the old style thin, wood berry boxes.  

The Squealing Sound took more effort.  
A large buffer brush wheel had hundreds of wine corks attached to it.  The corks were wetted down and cork-studded wheel was rubbed rapidly against the piece of glass.

You can see the items used to produce these sound effects at:"
Escape to Three Skeleton Key
NOTE:  The Sound Effects Artists are "hamming it up" by chewing on
the wood berry boxes rather than crushing them.
otrwashh
otrwashh

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 6/30/2020, 10:55 am

BIG NEWS! A NEW ESCAPE LOG!
The log is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
and a PDF can be downloaded from there.

Keith's big contribution here is identifying the various actors that were not credited on-air -- unlike our trip to Thousand Oaks last year, Keith did a lot of this work in the early 1990s when people had to (GASP!!) record their data collection BY HAND on PAPER and not take pictures of documents using their phones Smile   The various casts, production personnel changes, and numerous other matters are also noted in great detail

I hope that one day Keith's work is rendered incredibly obsolete because all of the missing episodes have been found

Escape is a foundational series in the quest to interest new listeners to this era of radio.

Whatever you can do to promulgate Keith's efforts would be greatly appreciated.

It was a privilege to help Keith get the document ready and I am pleased he is making it available to everyone.

Enjoy!

Last edited by greybelt on 7/1/2020, 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total

The Big Story Revealed! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Casey, Crime Photographer episode analysis [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Interviews of OTR collectors and others [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Harlow Wilcox, mjnunes84, kdmarket, Rearle1, soorhands and toebig like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mjnunes84 on 6/30/2020, 6:18 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Greybelt! And thanks to Keith for all his work in compiling the log. Escape has always been one of my favorite series!

mjnunes84

greybelt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum