The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Time Radio Researchers 2019 Releases

+5
Crunklydunks
ozradio
lasombra
airlanes
dbf
9 posters

Go down

Old Time Radio Researchers 2019 Releases Empty Old Time Radio Researchers 2019 Releases

Post by ozradio 9/5/2019, 9:36 pm

The Cobalt Club has been behind some of the most impressive sets released by the OTRR over the years so I thought we could do a better job of sharing our work here. Jim Beshires' death last year knocked the group for a real loop and things really ground to a near halt for quite some time. Fortunately, we've been getting our bearings and have been getting some new sets released this year. Note that we are now referring to them as Moderated sets instead of Certified sets as the term "Certified" had gotten a bad rap over the years for perhaps implying a level of perfection that was not realistic or possible. As Moderated sets we're emphasizing these are, to our knowledge, the best sets of episodes in sound quality and labeling accuracy that are freely available online. We hope to do a better job of upgrading sets and better sounding recordings and more accurate information becomes available; thus, actively maintaining them. All that blathering out of the way, please enjoy our releases so far this year if you have not already.

My Son Jeep - Episodes and dates/titles were provided by Joe Webb and Stu Weiss.

The Golden Gate Quartet Sings  - These episodes are crisp encodes made by David Lennick. The set contains each episode in both .mp3 and .flac, so choose your preference.

Murder at Midnight - Upgraded set over previous edition. 52 episodes, some partial with improved sound quality for many provided by Jerry Haendiges and Ted Davenport. They are a mix of .mp3 and .flac format. All titles and log information was provided by Karl Schadow and he generously allowed us to include his two-part article originally published in the Old Radio Times with this set.

Firefighters 10 new episodes added to the initial release, all from Jerry Haendiges with is permission.

A Case for Dr. Morelle Corrected titles and other information. Right after posting this revised version, a member offered yet new upgraded episodes, supposedly from near-master disc status. So we may need to revisit this one again very soon!

Crime Classics Upgraded sound files, new photos, new bio, Karl Schadow's article.

Last edited by ozradio on 1/3/2020, 12:53 pm; edited 3 times in total

ozradio

http://www.ryanellett.com

Back to top Go down

Old Time Radio Researchers 2019 Releases Empty Re: Old Time Radio Researchers 2019 Releases

Post by airlanes 9/6/2019, 1:54 am

Thanks for the update concerning what is happening with the OTR Researchers.  I had already found the latest uploads that you mentioned.  Especially pleased to find flac files are being included when possible and that DVD size folders now seem to be the norm when a series exceeds cd size.  Also, just discovered that a new updated collection has just appeared, Firefighters. I appreciate the hard work of everyone involved.
airlanes
airlanes

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZIhnuVZ5AjTyAiGUyBVdABq

Back to top Go down

Old Time Radio Researchers 2019 Releases Empty Re: Old Time Radio Researchers 2019 Releases

Post by dbf 9/6/2019, 5:06 am

airlanes wrote:Thanks for the update concerning what is happening with the OTR Researchers.  I had already found the latest uploads that you mentioned.  Especially pleased to find flac files are being included when possible and that DVD size folders now seem to be the norm when a series exceeds cd size.  Also, just discovered that a new updated collection has just appeared, Firefighters. I appreciate the hard work of everyone involved.

Is the updated Firefighters available yet? Would like to hear that....

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by airlanes 9/6/2019, 9:50 am

dbf wrote:
airlanes wrote:Thanks for the update concerning what is happening with the OTR Researchers.  I had already found the latest uploads that you mentioned.  Especially pleased to find flac files are being included when possible and that DVD size folders now seem to be the norm when a series exceeds cd size.  Also, just discovered that a new updated collection has just appeared, Firefighters. I appreciate the hard work of everyone involved.

Is the updated Firefighters available yet? Would like to hear that....

Yes, it is available.  Here's the link:  https://archive.org/details/otrrcertifiedfirefighters
airlanes
airlanes

Back to top Go down

Post by ozradio 9/8/2019, 2:22 pm

You guys beat me to it! There are more Firefighters in existence and we hope down the road to be able to access them. As far as CD-size folders, that was clearly a relic of years gone by. We're even questioning DVD-size folders as very, very few people participate in the hard copy distributions and likely few who download the sets actually burn them to any media.

ozradio

Back to top Go down

Post by airlanes 9/8/2019, 3:03 pm

ozradio wrote:You guys beat me to it! There are more Firefighters in existence and we hope down the road to be able to access them. As far as CD-size folders, that was clearly a relic of years gone by. We're even questioning DVD-size folders as very, very few people participate in the hard copy distributions and likely few who download the sets actually burn them to any media.

Ozradio, good to hear there are more Firefighters in existence.  I confess to still being of the old-school.  I download and burn OTR to DVD media with another copy to portable HDs.  Cloud storage is great for many things, but I'm too skeptical to solely trust a cloud service with my only copy of anything.
airlanes
airlanes

Back to top Go down

Post by ozradio 9/8/2019, 11:16 pm

We are looking for an improved copy of The Clyde Beatty Show #25, The Ghost Cat of Guatemala. Our current copy has a lot of flutter and I'm sure there have to be better sounding versions out there. This is to include in an upcoming Moderated set of this program. Thanks!
Ryan

ozradio

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 9/9/2019, 12:18 am

Happy to help, ozradio: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

lasombra

Back to top Go down

Post by ozradio 9/9/2019, 8:30 pm

Thank you, lasombra!

ozradio

Back to top Go down

Post by Crunklydunks 9/28/2019, 12:12 am

Wonderful news all around. Thank you! I have a huge interest in film preservation, and the added Firefighters episodes that refer to nitrate film, etc. are an absolute joy for me. Looking at Jerry's log (which is probably quite old), he lists all of the serial episodes as having a location of 111, so I'm guessing he didn't have them at the time? Is it privileged info at this point to know who has the other episodes and what the survival rate of the rest of the series is? Thanks!

Last edited by Crunklydunks on 9/30/2019, 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crunklydunks

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 9/28/2019, 11:45 am

I'm so very happy to see the various Old Time Radio research groups coming together. And I hope that we can see more cooperation and coordination going forward. The work being done by these various groups and individuals is important. It's preserving a window into our collective history. So much of it is already lost. And that which does still exist, is stored on fragile and deteriorating media. And let's face it, there are fewer researchers actually doing the work these days. We, just like OTR, are stored on fragile and deteriorating media.

This is a question, not a request. Is anyone working on extracting news broadcasts from the few sources where they might exist? Since so much of it was delivered live and locally and not recorded for distribution, I know that most of it probably doesn't exist all. But has anyone tried to collect and assemble those news broadcasts, which might have been incidentally recorded in over the air recordings? Hearing history as it was delivered live, fascinates me on a level even higher than the entertainment does. It makes history feel so much more real.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Location : Been put out to pasture, gone to seed or something like that

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 10/1/2019, 10:07 pm

Hi Space Cadet, I have a bunch of Elmer Davis news shows. If you want them let me know.

Tom

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 10/2/2019, 5:07 pm

toebig wrote:Hi Space Cadet, I have a bunch of Elmer Davis news shows. If you want them let me know.

Tom

Thanks for the offer, but not right now. I'm really just hoping to find out if there's any concerted effort to compile and preserve news broadcasts in general. It'd be a shame, if we preserved the entertainment of the era and let the actual historic notes disappear.

Thanks again, for all you do.

Space
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Location : Been put out to pasture, gone to seed or something like that

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ozradio 10/23/2019, 10:04 am

A Case for Dr. Morelle added.

ozradio

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/24/2019, 2:19 pm

ozradio wrote:A Case for Dr. Morelle added.

Can you give me a link? What I found was exactly like what I had before. Thanks.

lasombra

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 10/24/2019, 7:42 pm

lasombra wrote:
ozradio wrote:A Case for Dr. Morelle added.

Can you give me a link? What I found was exactly like what I had before. Thanks.

here's a link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/25/2019, 1:24 am

Thanks. I don't see anything upgraded from what was there before.

lasombra

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 10/25/2019, 12:10 pm

lasombra wrote:Thanks. I don't see anything upgraded from what was there before.

my only upgrade

A Case for Dr Morelle 1957-06-18 #9 The Black Ruby.flac

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/25/2019, 1:55 pm

That's very odd. I don't see any flac files in this link you sent before:
"here's a link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks for the upgrade to The Black Ruby.

lasombra

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 10/28/2019, 7:38 pm

lasombra wrote:That's very odd. I don't see any flac files in this link you sent before:
"here's a link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks for the upgrade to The Black Ruby.

the flac file was one of toebig's collection of shows
kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/6/2019, 2:46 pm

Space Cadet wrote:I'm so very happy to see the various Old Time Radio research groups coming together. And I hope that we can see more cooperation and coordination going forward. The work being done by these various groups and individuals is important. It's preserving a window into our collective history. So much of it is already lost. And that which does still exist, is stored on fragile and deteriorating media. And let's face it, there are fewer researchers actually doing the work these days. We, just like OTR, are stored on fragile and deteriorating media.

This is a question, not a request. Is anyone working on extracting news broadcasts from the few sources where they might exist? Since so much of it was delivered live and locally and not recorded for distribution, I know that most of it probably doesn't exist all. But has anyone tried to collect and assemble those news broadcasts, which might have been incidentally recorded in over the air recordings? Hearing history as it was delivered live, fascinates me on a level even higher than the entertainment does. It makes history feel so much more real.

Space, I just got around to reading this. I am a collector of news programs, especially network news programs during the full course of WW2, from Sep 1, 1939 through Sep 2, 1945. In fact, I did a couple of runs of these in prior versions of the Cobalt Club. If you or anyone else reading this has news files to spare, you can fire them at me. I'm pretty sure that Nightkey collects them as well.

I also collect other, non-ww2 news files as available but have not as yet gone through the process of verifying any of them.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/6/2019, 2:51 pm

toebig wrote:Hi Space Cadet, I have a bunch of Elmer Davis news shows. If you want them let me know.

Tom

Toebig, I just read your post in this thread. I collect ww2 news and have a lot of Elmer Davis broadcasts myself. I'd like any you have that I don't and would be happy to send you mine if you need them. Do you happen to have a list by chance?
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by ozradio 1/3/2020, 12:58 pm

We will likely update Dr. Morelle yet again this year. We had a member submit a complete (or nearly-complete, I don't recall) set of low-generation files that improved on some of these. These were offered just a couple days after we uploaded this latest update so no one had the energy to revisit it already. I believe the only changes were retitling a couple mislabeled shows; at least, that was the intent.

ozradio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down