The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plan for Survival

Go down

Plan for Survival Empty Plan for Survival

Post by BobbyP on 3/27/2020, 7:47 pm

Plan for Survival. April 18, 1951. Program #13. The Civil Defense Radio network. "Food and Water". Bill Leonard interviews Omar Pancost (Special Consultant of the New York State Civil Defense Commission) and Dr. Leonard Rosenthal (New York City Department of Health. Families should have several days of food on water on hand. Could food be contaminated from an atomic blast. There is little chance of water becoming contaminated. On the other hand, Dr. Rosenthal recommends using bottled water. Bill Leonard (host), Omar Pancost, Leonard Rosenthal. 14:17.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by BobbyP on 3/27/2020, 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
BobbyP
BobbyP

Back to top Go down

Plan for Survival Empty Re: Plan for Survival

Post by BobbyP on 3/27/2020, 7:48 pm

Plan for Survival. April 25, 1951. Program #14. The Civil Defense Radio network. "Fire Fighting". Questions for Fire Chief B.R. Townsend include: "What's the difference between Volunteer Firefighters and Auxiliary Firefighters?" "Why do you have to turn off your oil burner during an alert, but you don't have to turn off your pilot light?" "Is there any danger in an automobile ignition?" A dairy farmer wants to know how to protect livestock in case of an atomic attack. Fire Commissioner George Monaghan advises to try to fight a fire yourself after an atomic attack, before you call the fire department. The lasting impact of atomic radiation is only 30 to 60 seconds. Bill Leonard (host), B. R. Townsend, George Monaghan. 14:12.

BobbyP
BobbyP

Back to top Go down

Post by BobbyP on 3/27/2020, 7:49 pm

Plan for Survival. June 20, 1951. Program #22. The Civil Defense Radio network. "Talk by Thomas E. Dewey". The Governor of New York tells listeners to take responsibility for saving their own lives in case of nuclear attack. He asks, "If an atomic bomb fell in your community tonight, what would happen?" "Your state government has done its job." Bill Leonard (host), Thomas Dewey. 14:06.

BobbyP
BobbyP

Back to top Go down

Post by BobbyP on 3/27/2020, 7:51 pm

Plan for Survival. July 18, 1951. Program #26. The Civil Defense Radio network, WNBC, New York City aircheck. "Continuing Threat Facing the Western World by the Soviet. Possession of the Atom." Bill Leonard and producer James Fleming discuss the second of four shows dealing with, "challenging aspects of the Civil Defense story." Several audio clips are played: President Truman ("We face a long future of world tension"), Secretary of Defense George Marshall, Winston Churchill, the September 23, 1949, announcement of the USSR's first atomic explosion, John Foster Dulles, Harold Urey, Harrison Brown, Dean Acheson, the Mayor of Hiroshima and Japanese children. Bill Leonard (host), James Fleming, Lawrence Wilkerson. 14:43.

BobbyP
BobbyP

Back to top Go down

Post by BobbyP on 3/28/2020, 12:07 pm

Plan For Survival. September 19, 1951. Program #35. The Civil Defense Radio network. "The State of Civil Defense In New York State". Bill Leonard interviews Milton O'Connell, deputy director for public information of the New York State Civil Defense Commission. O'Connell says that there has been no increase in the public awareness of Civil Defense because we haven't been attacked. Bill Leonard (host), Milton O'Connell. 14:16.

BobbyP
BobbyP

Back to top Go down

Post by BobbyP on 3/28/2020, 12:08 pm

Plan for Survival. September 26, 1951. Program #36. The Civil Defense Radio network. "The Battle of Britain". The program originated at WGR, Buffalo. Former Sgt. Robert Crawford recalls Great Britain during World War II. It took a long time for civil defense to be established in England. Bill Leonard (host), Robert Crawford. 14:35.

BobbyP
BobbyP

Back to top Go down

Post by BobbyP on 3/28/2020, 12:09 pm

Plan for Survival. October 3, 1951. Program #37. The Civil Defense Radio network. "What Would You Do if an Atomic Bomb Fell?". What can Mr. and Mrs. John Citizen do for Civil Defense? What are the Civil Defense plans in New York State? Bill Leonard (host), Lockwood Doty (newsman), Milton O'Connell (deputy director of The New York State Civil Defense Commission), Thomas Dewey (Governor of New York, by recording), James Costikian (assistant director of NYC Civil Defense), Tessie O'Shea (British comedienne who recalls an air raid on London), Ray Wiley (public information officer for Syracuse civil defense). 14:18.

BobbyP
BobbyP

Back to top Go down

Post by pnussbaum on 4/26/2020, 7:03 pm

I don't know how I missed these! I'm glad I found them and glad you posted them, Bobby!
pnussbaum
pnussbaum

Back to top Go down

Post by ozradio on 4/27/2020, 1:46 pm

pnussbaum wrote:I don't know how I missed these! I'm glad I found them and glad you posted them, Bobby!

Same! Only I can't get July 18, 1951. Program #26 to download, just play for some reason.

ozradio

http://www.ryanellett.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket on 4/27/2020, 2:08 pm

51-07-18 PlanForSurvival TheContinuingThreatFacingTheWesternWorldThroughSovietPossessionOfTheAtomicBomb.mp3

kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig on 4/27/2020, 10:17 pm

Thank you BobbyP. Very interesting stuff.

Tom

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum