The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suspense Upgrades

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Suspense Upgrades - Page 10 Empty Re: Suspense Upgrades

Post by greybelt on 7/3/2020, 9:03 pm

RadioGoldindex is now at a new address [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and a newly designed website. It's a little confusing to get around at first, so I made a video that can help

The Big Story Revealed! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Casey, Crime Photographer episode analysis [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Interviews of OTR collectors and others [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

artatoldotr, bojim1, kdmarket and otrhead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr on 7/4/2020, 12:58 pm

Thanks greybelt

Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 7/16/2020, 6:30 pm

These last couple of weeks have been a very curious time in relation to the Suspense research. In light of some greater skill and better software for sound processing, I decided to go back to some sets of recordings that I evaluated a few years ago, and some recent acquisitions, in the hope of being better able to enhance them.

Since I started this project in 2004 with a Suspense set from OTRNow, I have kept every recording of the series that I have ever found, all with the plan to create one set with the best sound of all of the versions that I could find. I initially thought that would be just AFRS and network pairs at most. As we have all seen in these Cobaltian pages, there are more varieties of Suspense than originally believed. There are east, west, rehearsals, pro airchecks, home disc airchecks, home reel recordings, and multiple AFRS and AFRTS releases. I have said that Suspense is probably the most-recorded radio program of that era. It is pretty amazing.

In these past few weeks, as I have re-evaluated those other sets and paid more attention to tiny details, there has been a major increase in the number of east and west recordings of the Roma same-day-east-west era. I've been documenting it as I find them at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  I've even gone back to some "bad" 32kps sets and found some recordings with unique characteristics.

I can use some help! I need some volunteers to listen to recordings from the mid-September 1944 to November 1947 era to detail certain aspects of the recordings. The east and west recordings can be identified by having any of these characteristics:
1) from August 23, 1945 through August 7, 1947, east coast programs would sometimes have a tease for FBI in Peace and War. I've identified many. The tease was always optional and would be cut if there was not time, so not all east coast recordings have them. West coast broadcasts never had the
tease.
2) A way that I have been identifying different recordings is by the timing at the end of the episode announcements. This is defined as the time between "...Roma Wine Company of Fresno, California" and the "This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System". This was a buffer of time that was used to get the network ID at a particular time. Sometimes it's leisurely, sometimes it's rushed. It varied quite often.
3) Changes in announcements -- identified Brighton Strangler separate recordings yesterday. It was near Christmas so they listed the production staff, and one of them had an additional person that the other did not. Just worked on Smiley today, and there's a long announcement that dropped to meet the allotted time. These can be anything at the end of the program.
4) Flubs, coughs, clearing of throats and other noises in one recording and not the other
5) Changes in dialogue in the show -- these are hard to find and I just stumble into them; I've never made a concerted effort because of the time involved.

I've identified many, many of these... so those don't need to be checked again. In the spreadsheet noted above, any of the dates with "1" in the number of recordings are what need to be investigated.

If anyone wants to join in, with their own sets of programs, or with some that I supply, please private message me!

THANKS!!

The Big Story Revealed! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Casey, Crime Photographer episode analysis [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Interviews of OTR collectors and others [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Seamus, bojim1, shadowsmom, Sagebrush.1 and eliyahusimlevin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt on 7/18/2020, 8:46 pm

Just posted this on some OTR-related FB pages. Cobaltia has always been there to lend a hand. Please go to the site I mention and take a look at the spreadsheet that documents the east-west broadcasts. It directs people to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks so very much! Any help would be so greatly appreciated!

There are many recordings from the years that Suspense had east and west broadcasts that may be lurking in collections in almost plain sight... especially older reel collections, even reel collections that were converted to digital formats in the 1990s and early 2000s. Find out which recordings are still missing and how to judge if you may have one of the missing ones.

For the details of the curious story of east-west broadcasts in the history of Suspense, please go to this address for access to a special spreadsheet and a brief explanatory video [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This the direct link to the online spreadsheet that details what has been found so far; it can be viewed at...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  

You can also go directly to the video that helps explain the spreadsheet [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

greybelt
greybelt

Seamus, bojim1, shadowsmom and Sagebrush.1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum