The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suspense Upgrades

+16
nickp57
chasedad
lasombra
artatoldotr
greybelt
Gordon Johansen
Harlow Wilcox
bojim1
Seamus
Wildcat44
Larynxa
otrhead
mjnunes84
Tom-In-Ohio
ghemrats
kdmarket
20 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 Empty Re: Suspense Upgrades

Post by lasombra 10/31/2020, 11:43 am

Leonard's reading of his first speech is quite different. At 1:24 the phrase "Money's not everything, they say" is like a question in 6sec and a flat statement in Direct.

In 6sec he says "...ain't got no clothes, no food, no nuttin". In Direct he says "...ain't got no clothes, no food, nuttin", without the third "no".

lasombra

Gordon Johansen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 10/31/2020, 3:48 pm

C3DS has earned its time-and-a-half weekend rate for sure!
Thanks again lasombra!

The Big Story Revealed! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Casey, Crime Photographer episode analysis [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Interviews of OTR collectors and others [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

lasombra likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/1/2020, 6:05 am

This is the only recording we have of this performance. Commuter's Ticket was originally planned for this date with O'Shea, but it was switched with Photo Finish. J. Carroll Naish would star in Commuter's Ticket two weeks later.

Suspense_1946-07-18_PhotoFinish_wMichaelO'Shea (13sec to ID) UPGRADE-2.mp3
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1946-07-18 Cincinnati OH Enquirer
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-091

1946-07-18 Circleville OH Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-092

The Big Story Revealed! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Casey, Crime Photographer episode analysis [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Interviews of OTR collectors and others [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Harlow Wilcox, Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Tom-In-Ohio and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/1/2020, 9:49 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/2/2020, 7:08 am

Today's recording is the only one that has been found for this script. There are no indicators of east or west in the recording that I can find.

Blue Eyes with Naish originally planned for this date. The chronology is Commuter's Ticket was supposed to be performed with O'Shea two weeks prior but was switched to Photo Finish; Naish was supposed to star in Blue Eyes, but was changed to Commuter's Ticket; Blue Eyes was delayed for four weeks for Cecil Kellaway, but starred Hume Cronyn instead. Got it? There'll be a test on Thursday.

Suspense_1946-08-01_Commuters_Ticket_wJCarrollNaish (3sec to ID) UPGRADE-2.mp3
Degoo [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
hubiC [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1946-08-01 Birmingham AL News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-093

1946-08-01 Hagerstown MD Morning Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-094

greybelt
greybelt

Harlow Wilcox, Jim9, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Tom-In-Ohio, Wildcat44 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/2/2020, 12:15 pm

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/3/2020, 6:55 am

Today is an upgraded recording of the legendary Dead Ernest. The original title was "Articles of Death." Kay Thompson used to look at the Suspense scripts that husband Bill Spier had rejected. She liked it, thought he was mistaken, and asked him to reconsider. The script would get a much better title, and its broadcast would help Suspense win a Peabody award. That 1946 award, announced in Spring 1947, allowed CBS to pressure Roma Wines into two 13-week renewals of the series when they wanted to cancel their sponsorship because of poor sales.

This is the only version of this episode that has been found. If there is an AFRS copy, it's likely #167.

The script was adapted for the TV Suspense series and broadcast on May 3, 1950 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  It's a good example of the difference in experience that radio provides compared to television. Admittedly, the staging of television drama was primitive at the time, but the uneasiness and the occasional sarcasm of the story are much more powerful in the audio version, and it's doubtful the script could ever be as engaging even if performed today on television.

Suspense_1946-08-08_Dead_Ernest_wWallyMaher (2sec to ID) UPGRADE-2.mp3

Spier's assistant Peggy Rea wanted to break into performing, and she had a role in this episode.
1946-08-25 Radio Life
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-095

I am not a fan of John Crosby, syndicated radio critic of that era. He finds ways to drain every ounce of fun or playfulness out of most series by holding them to a high standard of portraying detailed realism when their purpose is to entertain. Somehow, he relaxes his constraints and offers great enthusiasm for Dead Ernest. Did he like it because it grabbed the Peabody, or did he like it before that? I guess I'm getting too cynical... The mention of Ernest is at the end of the column -- does anyone know what series the first broadcast he mentions was? The end of the column has his warning about Suspense and younger listeners. Sure, Suspense isn't for kids, I get it, but I doubt it would appeal to them anyway. Inner Sanctum would seem to have more "listen behind mom and dad's back" appeal than Suspense would.

1947-05-23 Oakland CA Tribune
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1947-208

Every time I see the word "locksmith," as I do in the Crosby article, I can't help but think of the famous scene in Police Squad. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

greybelt
greybelt

Harlow Wilcox, Jim9, bojim1, shadowsmom, Gordon Johansen, Rearle1, Sagebrush.1 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chasedad 11/3/2020, 10:26 am

The other, unidentified script that Crosby describes is "The Creeper", performed on "The Molle Mystery Theatre" on 3/29/46: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

chasedad

Rearle1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 11/3/2020, 1:55 pm

That "The Creeper" story got a lot airings. From Goldin:
The Molle Mystery Theatre. March 29, 1946. NBC net, WEAF, New York aircheck. "The Creeper". Molle, Double Dandereen. A suspense story about a mad killer who strangles his redheaded victims. See cat. #50533 for the same story produced on "Murder At Midnight." See cat. # 54674 for the same script on, "The Chase." See cat. #65395 for the same script used on, "Murder By Experts.". Joseph Ruscoll (writer), Bernard Lenrow (host, as "Geoffrey Barnes").

lasombra

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/3/2020, 2:17 pm

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/4/2020, 4:56 am

THANKS to chasedad and lasombra for identifying The Creeper in Crosby's column! It was also done on the Suspense TV series, as best as I can verify that it was the same premise and not a different story that shared the name. No video of the Suspense TV broadcast exists.

Today's recording is the only version we have, and we don't know which coast it was for.
Suspense_1946-08-15_LastLetterOfDrBronson_wHenryDaniell (3sec to ID) UPGRADE-3.mp3

Newspaper clippings were posted earlier.

greybelt
greybelt

Harlow Wilcox, Jim9, Seamus, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Tom-In-Ohio and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/5/2020, 8:14 am

Old joke: "I know what you're thinking -- because I can read minds -- wait... I'm getting the vibrations of your thoughts... you're thinking I can't."
Suspense had mind-reading in its plots three times, the first in today's episode. The others were Vision of Death (1951 and 1953) and With Murder in Mind in 1962, all with different writers.

This is the only recording we have. If there are any indicators of it being east or west inside the recording, I have not found any.

Suspense_1946-08-22_The_Great_Horrell_wJoanLorring (17sec to ID) UPGRADE-2.mp3

1946-08-22 Circleville OH Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-096

1946-08-22 Decatur IL Herald & Review
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-097

Lorring was just 20 years old at the time of this appearance. She was nominated for an Oscar for her performance in The Corn is Green.
She performed on radio in 1942 on A Date with Judy under the name "Dellie Ellis" and there are recordings of her work in that series but I don't know how many in OTRdom have made the connection -- at least I know I never did. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
AND
She is part of the a small but notable group of actors who appeared in a Hollywood production of Suspense in the 1940s, and played in CBS Radio Mystery Theater for multiple appearances. So many of the CBSRMT actors did it for pure love of the medium.
Her Wikipedia page is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There's an autographed photo of her up for sale at
with a short bio. The last line of the description says "Lightly toned and creased at corners. Otherwise, fine condition." -- that describes a lot of us after coming back from a vacation Smile

Yesterday I went through more recordings from the Hehn collection and I am still surprised how many potential upgrades I have found in the early 1940s, but especially in the Lewis era and forward. They all need some clean-up work, but the core of the audio has a better range than some of the recordings we have currently. I'll slip them in as I finish them, so you may see some posts jump back to 1943 or 1944 now and then.

I have gone through the collection twice, and this last time I only found two more reels with at least one Suspense. That means I did a pretty good job in the first pass! I've been disappointed in a sense because there really are no post-Hollywood Suspense of consequence other than a network feed copy of Korean Christmas Carol. I was hoping that Hehn would have traded with Pat Rispole who recorded many of the WROW Suspense and YTJD off the air, but it appears not. Pat traded with lots of people, thankfully, but obviously not with Joe Hehn. But what we have gotten is superb.

We still need volunteers to transfer reels of many other series. About half of the collection has made its way or is on its way around the country to others who are contributing their time and talent to the project. This may be one of the best non-financial examples of crowd-sourcing of a project I have heard of or participated in. There are separate volunteers who can do the sound processing of the raw files if you can't. Contact me by private message or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for that. The person must be in the US for postal cost reasons, but some of our sound processors are international, so this is becoming a global effort!

Last edited by greybelt on 11/6/2020, 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total

greybelt
greybelt

Harlow Wilcox, Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Tom-In-Ohio and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/5/2020, 12:04 pm

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/6/2020, 7:20 am

This is a sound upgrade of one of the versions of Blue Eyes. I cannot detect anything that indicate to which coast the recordings belong to. A few days ago we posted a note that this script was originally intended for J. Carroll Naish, but he performed Commuter's Ticket instead. This performance was planned for Cecil Kellaway, but he obviously became unavailable, so Hume Cronyn happened to be walking by...

Suspense_1946-08-29_BlueEyes_wHumeCronyn (direct to ID) UPGRADE.mp3

The 10 seconds to ID version was posted 7 years ago... here it is again... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Perhaps the C3DS may want to weigh in as to other distinctions...

Yesterday I updated the list of cloud services that are available with free space. There were some surprises at the changes in policies and there are some new offerings [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Still waiting to see if there are any holiday shopping deals. In recent years, pCloud would have a $245 special for its "lifetime" 2TB service. IceDrive has a lifetime current price for 5TB that is a better deal, even with the pCloud special price, if they have it. pCloud has changed policies for new free accounts: they say you get 10GB, but you really get 3GB and have to jump through hoops to activate the full 10. Details on the page.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by chasedad 11/6/2020, 10:17 am

There's a marked difference in the delivery of the final line between the two versions of "Blue Eyes":

Direct to ID:
27:11 – “Because if she committed suicide as she planned, just how would you have been able to prove your innocence, Mr. Littlefield. Just, uh, exactly how?”

10 seconds to ID:
26:46: - “Because if she com-committed suicide as she planned, just how would you have been able to prove your innocence, Mr. Littlefield. Just exactly how?”

chasedad

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/6/2020, 12:03 pm

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/6/2020, 3:46 pm

chasedad you did it again!
THANKS so very much!!

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/7/2020, 7:32 am

This is an upgrade of the only version of this broadcast we have... and it's a very nice recording...
There is no inside indication of east or west that I can detect.

Suspense_1946-09-05_You'llNeverSeeMeAgain_wRobertYoung (41sec to ID) UPGRADE-2.mp3

1946-09-05 Cincinnati OH Enquirer
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-098

1946-09-05 Circleville OH Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-099

The Circleville Herald clip spells Joseph Cotten's name as "Cotton," which is a problem I'm sure he had to deal with all of his career. It is interesting that they mention the night's broadcast was a repeated script; usually only SWN and Dead Ernest were noted as such because of their importance to the Suspense franchise. That 1944 presentation was the first time Suspense was sponsored by Roma and broadcast on the same night nationally. I'm sure no one on this night's broadcast thought that the Roma sponsorship would be ending in 14 months and that Suspense would be on the edge of cancellation.

greybelt
greybelt

Harlow Wilcox, Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Gordon Johansen and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/7/2020, 9:48 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/8/2020, 8:18 am

Suspense_1946-09-12_The_Hunting_Trip_wVPrice&LNolan (48sec to ID) UPGRADE-2.mp3

The other network recording we have was posted in 2012, now reposted at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , the name is Suspense_1946-09-12_The_Hunting_Trip_wVPrice&LNolan (25sec to fade, no ID).mp3
There's no network ID on this one, it just fades. I believe it's different, and can use some assistance in identifying points of differentiation. If they're exactly the same, then this recording may have been faded out to fit a time slot or a media length. Hmmmm.... R2D2 kept playing a blurry video that had the message "Help us C3DS! You're our only hope!"

William Spier appears near the end of the broadcast. The script also used on Murder by Experts 1950-01-09. (I'm always confused by saying that someone "appeared" on a radio broadcast).

1946-09-05 Clinton IL Daily Journal & Public
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-100

1946-09-12 Cincinnati OH Enquirer
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-104

1946-09-12 Circleville OH Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-102

1946-09-12 Indianapolis IN News

Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-103

There is Whistler news at

greybelt
greybelt

Harlow Wilcox, Jim9, Seamus, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Tom-In-Ohio and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/8/2020, 10:05 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 11/8/2020, 11:16 am

I couldn't find a difference between the two.

lasombra

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/8/2020, 8:59 pm

lasombra, your efforts are greatly appreciated. The squints downstairs in the C3DS forensics department said that you put them through the paces. They'll get another chance soon...

greybelt
greybelt

lasombra likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/9/2020, 7:10 am

We have a new coastal version to the collection, likely floating around for decades in plain sight, but now noted. It is not known to which coast it belongs...
Suspense_1946-09-19_TillTheDay_I_Die_wDaneClark (JK-MakeItAPointToListen).mp3

The other recording posted was seven years ago that has a different wording to its closing announcement. Joe Kearns says "make it a point to listen, ladies and gentlemen...", while the file posted today does not. It is reposted at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Easy Money was originally planned for this date
1946-09-15 Lincoln NB Star
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-105

1946-09-19 Circleville OH Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-106

1946-09-19 Latrobe PA Bulletin
Suspense Upgrades - Page 18 1946-107

The Hehn recordings are starting to be posted. If you're a Night Beat fan, it's been really hard to get a copy of Gusher James in good sound... and now we have one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] along with its accurate date thanks to script research by Keith Scott.

greybelt
greybelt

Harlow Wilcox, Jim9, mjnunes84, Seamus, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/9/2020, 10:16 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content