The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suspense Upgrades

+16
nickp57
chasedad
lasombra
artatoldotr
greybelt
Gordon Johansen
Harlow Wilcox
bojim1
Seamus
Wildcat44
Larynxa
otrhead
mjnunes84
Tom-In-Ohio
ghemrats
kdmarket
20 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 Empty Re: Suspense Upgrades

Post by chasedad 7/10/2021, 12:47 pm

Wow..the post about Pat Rispole is fascinating; thanks, greybelt!

chasedad

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/11/2021, 6:12 am

Things are still on a haphazard schedule with posts... just a little while longer...

Today we get an upgrade of a network recording which has the pre-show commercial and also a contribution of the AFRTS recording that chasedad found in the archives. That recording was very crackly, and some other adjustments were made to it. It came out well. Thank you again!

Suspense_1960-05-29_PerfectPlan UPGRADE-2 WROW (has pre-show comml).mp3
Degoo [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
hubiC [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Suspense_1960-05-29_PerfectPlan_wGeorgePetrie&ELawrence AFRTS#788 no crackling.mp3

The story involves $50,000; in US$2021 terms that's $456,000.

Today's post involved one of radio's busiest actors, George Petrie, who had a prosperous stage, theater, television, and movie career in both New York and Hollywood. I always enjoyed seeing him in Honeymooners episodes. He was in 14 of the "classic 39." He was held in very high regard by the NY radio pros.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A newspaper clipping was posted previously; these are new...

1960-05-29 Boston MA Globe
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-047

1960-05-29 Kansas City MO Star
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-046

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, chasedad, eliyahusimlevin and soorhands like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chasedad 7/11/2021, 9:55 am

The first time I heard the Utica Club commercial at the start of today's "Suspense" episode I loved it just because it was so strange, but I found it terribly confusing. It wasn't until I saw some TV ads from the same campaign that Utica Club was running concurrently with this radio ad that I was able to put what was going on in some context:

chasedad

greybelt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 7/12/2021, 9:12 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/12/2021, 3:47 pm

THIS POST IS NOW INCORRECT BASED ON NEW ARCHIVE MATERIALS THAT WERE NOT AVAILABLE AT THE TIME. ELLEN BURSTYN WROTE THE STORY (ELLEN MCRAE) UNDER HER TRUE FIRST AND MIDDLE NAME, EDNA RAE

Is it "Elemental" or "Elementals"? The original story by Stephen Vincent Benet is "Elementals." It is not clear why it is announced in singular for this presentation.

The script is by Meyer Dolinsky and it was first used on Escape 1953-11-10. There was a broadcast of Elementals on Radio City Playhouse 1949-02-14, but it sounds to me that was a different treatment by a different writer. On that broadcast, no adaptor is mentioned, only Benet as the writer. I doubt that Benet wrote the radio script, and I suspect it was done by Harry Junkin, the show's director, who wrote many of the series' scripts.

Dolinsky wrote for The Whistler, Escape, and likely others, but became a successful TV writer, occasionally using the name "Michael Adams." I am not sure why. He wrote for Star Trek, The Invaders, Mission: Impossible, The Outer Limits, Cannon, and many others.

Suspense_1960-06-12_Elementals_wPhillipMeeder&SantosOrtega AFRTS#790 UPGRADE-2.mp3

This network version was posted 3+ years ago
Suspense_1960-06-12_Elementals_wPhillipMeeder&SantosOrtega UPGRADE-2 WROW.mp3
Degoo only [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The original story by Benet can be found at

Christine Miller of the great and now seemingly forgotten site escape-suspense.com says that the Suspense version is truer to the original. If someone could take a closer listen, it would be appreciated... and let Cobaltians worldwide (and beyond) know how it is so.
And who made it different? Did Paul Roberts do it unilaterally? Did Dolinsky do it? Did Roberts and Dolinsky chat about it? There does not seem to be any credit for editing or revising. And try this... was the Escape script the one that was edited to be different that what Dolinsky submitted... and this Suspense version is the original? You get to be too suspicious about these things...
I do have to try to get in touch with Christine and find out if she plans to pick up where she left off...

The spelling of the actor's name is "Meeder" -- I've gone about correcting it wherever I could find it. In the process of investigating it, I found this nice bio of him

Also in the cast is Ellen McRae... whom we know is Ellen Burstyn, the only Suspense actor to ever get the trifecta of acting, an Oscar, an Emmy, and a Tony. She appeared on Suspense often during the 15 months Paul Roberts was producer in New York because they were married at that time.

Newspaper clippings were posted previously; these are new...
"Elementals" is in some of the clippings -- makes me wonder if the CBS publicity had Benet's original title. I have 5 clippings overall, and the singular wins, 3-2.

1960-06-12 Boston MA Globe
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-050

1960-06-12 Fresno CA Bee
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-049

1960-06-12 Kansas City MO Star
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-048

I have taken some interest in Theater Five recently as some scripts by George Bamber and Peter Fernandez that were performed on Suspense were also done there.
I have found three for certain:
The Time, the Place, the Death 1960-01-17 // on T5 1965-02-02
Two Came Back 1960-06-05 // T5 1965-06-07
Death of an Old Flame 1961-10-29 // T5 1965-05-20

I am suspicious that See How He Runs 1959-04-19 was done on T5 under a different name,  Blind Man's Bluff on 1965-05-19. Can someone check this one out?

The RGI page is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Theater Five log I got from producer Warren Somerville is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

THANKS!!!!

Last edited by greybelt on 5/17/2023, 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, lasombra, eliyahusimlevin and nickp57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chasedad 7/13/2021, 7:34 am

greybelt,

Actually there's one other "Suspense" actor who also won an Oscar, Tony and Emmy: Thomas Mitchell ("The Case History on Edgar Lowndes", "John Barbey and Son").

And you're correct, the "Theater Five" episode "Blind Man's Bluff" uses the same script as Suspense's "See How He Runs".

chasedad

greybelt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/13/2021, 11:35 am

Can always count on you chasedad!!

Thanks for the heads up re: Thomas Mitchell!
Looks like he won a generic Emmy as best actor in 1953 and then another in 1955 for Ford Theater in their presentation of The Good of His Soul
His Tony was for Hazel Flagg in 1953. Had not heard of that one -- it had 190 performances and was by Ben Hecht.
The Oscar was for a supporting role in Stagecoach in 1939.

THANKS so much yet again.
You have now made yet another marvelous Suspense trivia question possible!!

greybelt
greybelt

chasedad likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/13/2021, 12:14 pm

Here are my Theater Five /  Suspense shared scripts as of this moment:

The Imposters 1961-11-12 // T5 1965-01-21 (Peter Fernandez)
The Time, the Place, the Death 1960-01-17 // T5 1965-02-02 (Fernandez)
Two Came Back 1960-06-05 // T5 1965-06-07 (Jules Archer)
See How He Runs 1959-04-19 // T5 1965-05-19 as Blind Man's Bluff (George Bamber)
Death of an Old Flame 1961-10-29 // T5 1965-05-20 (Bamber)

greybelt
greybelt

eliyahusimlevin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chasedad 7/13/2021, 4:16 pm

A couple more episodes of "Theater Five" adapted from "Suspense" scripts to add to your list:

Report from a Dead Planet 1960-7-10 / TF 1965-7-26 as In Absence of All Intelligent Life (George Bamber)

The Juvenile Rebellion 1961-9-3 / TF 1964-8-10 as Rebellion Next Week (Robert Cenedella)

chasedad

greybelt and eliyahusimlevin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/14/2021, 1:55 pm

This is where the Suspense-T5 situation stands at this moment...

Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 Sus_t512

greybelt
greybelt

chasedad and eliyahusimlevin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/15/2021, 6:02 am

Still working on an erratic schedule, but the good news is I’m almost done transferring the Suspense reels, Keith Scott’s log is getting closer every day, and other OTR obligations are in good shape.

Today is a new version of an episode, the AFRTS release of The Daisy Chain.

Suspense_1960-06-26_The_Daisy_Chain_wJoanLorring AFRTS#791.mp3

This was posted about 2 years ago. There was some missing dialogue -- no clue why -- but I had restored it before posting back then.
Suspense_1960-06-26_The_Daisy_Chain_wJoanLorring UPGRADE-2 WITH COMMLS Missing dialog restored.mp3

Lorring's real name was Madeline Ellis. When she starred at 16 in the A Date with Judy radio program, she was "Dellie Ellis." She appeared on Suspense in 1945 1942 when she was 20 16, and here she is, 15 18 years later. She may have had some earlier uncredited roles on the program. She was in the June 1942 Wet Saturday in the role of Millicent. (Just got this info from Keith Scott in his latest revisions!)
Her IMDb bio [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Newspaper clippings were posted previously; this is a new one.

1960-06-26 Fresno CA Bee
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-051

Last edited by greybelt on 7/15/2021, 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, eliyahusimlevin, soorhands and nickp57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 7/15/2021, 8:58 am

Thanks greybelt
Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by nickp57 7/15/2021, 1:32 pm

Hey greybelt, just a heads up -- looks like your link to the WROW version of Elementals is currently linking to the AFRTS version of it.

nickp57

Back to top Go down

Post by chasedad 7/15/2021, 2:02 pm

Most interesting to learn that Lorring appeared in the 1942 "Wet Saturday" episode. (Good on Keith for that ID, supporting (and sometimes lead) actor credits for those '42 "Suspense" episodes are scarce.) Just to clarify, though, your redacted information is still correct: Lorring did star in the 1945 "Suspense" episode "Man in the House" (8/2/45), during a period of about nine weeks at the very tail end of WWII when the episodes all starred dependable character actors and lesser-known starlets, rather than any of the A-list actors who frequented the show.

chasedad

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/15/2021, 6:02 pm

ANSWERS:

Thanks for the catch nickp57 -- I corrected the post. For convenience, here is the link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

chasedad I just wanted to refer to the earliest of her appearances. Until I got Keith's note, the 1945 one was the earliest I could find. Keith found out about the 1942 part because he was reviewing John Scheinfeld's log from 1975ish and for some reason he had not seen it before. John is still in touch with Keith (and has been generous to me) and it's amazing how much of the research he did in a pre-Internet pre-email world.  https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0770643/

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, shadowsmom, eliyahusimlevin and nickp57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/19/2021, 10:53 pm

IT'S HERE!!

Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 Suspen16

DOWNLOAD THE PDF AT

This the log of Suspense as complied Keith Scott. He researched it for 40+ years, much of it when he made trips from his native Australia to do animation voices and voiceovers in Hollywood. (Keith was a big fan of the Jay Ward cartoons when he was growing up, and became the voice of Bullwinkle in the 2000 movie The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle. He is the author of The Moose that Roared, an entertaining history of the studio.)

Keith also had access to many private research interviews, and conducted many of his own, with producers, directors, actors, effects artists, and others who participated in the program or influenced its production. Many of these details are new to all us Suspense fans.

The 275+ page document includes a series overview (14,000+ words) and the marvelous log of 944 episodes of the series that includes dates of broadcast, casts, plot summaries, and other important (and entertaining) details. Background of some of the recorded or planned broadcasts that were never aired are also included. Important details of the series audition in 1940 and the role of Alfred Hitchcock in the development of Suspense will be new to many collectors.

Keith is making this available as a free PDF. I have been working with him on a lot of Suspense recordings and topics over the past 3 years, but I have known Keith for almost 40 years. A highlight of my OTR life was not meeting some celebrity, or getting a rare program, it was the day that Keith and I spent at Thousand Oaks Library in June 2019 just going through Suspense and other series! It was during that trip that I was able to interview Keith -- check it out on my interview page listed below. I was so pleased to help Keith with proofing, editing, and working on the desktop publishing of the document.

If you enjoy the document, please email Keith -- his address is on page 3 of the PDF. If you have suggestions for the document, please contact him.

Be sure to also download Keith's Escape log.

Here is a sample page of the Suspense log.

Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 Sample11

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, lasombra, otrhead and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 7/20/2021, 10:46 am

Thanks greybelt and Keith Scott for these great additions for fans of OTR

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by mjnunes84 7/20/2021, 12:02 pm

Thanks, greybelt and Keith!

mjnunes84

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/21/2021, 8:51 am

Greetings again -- I expect that this will start regular daily posts again until a brief vacation begins in about two weeks.

The Suspense log is out, and I hope everyone is enjoying it. Just go back a couple of posts for some of the background -- or to go to the download page, just go here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This AFRTS recording is the best sounding one that has been found for this episode. This version has not been in circulation.

Suspense_1960-07-03_Bon_Voyage_wRobertReadick AFRTS#792.mp3

This is one of the network versions, posted about 8 years ago, that is in circulation. This is complete, with the Kingston Trio at the end of the broadcast.

Suspense_1960-07-03_Bon_Voyage_wRobertReadick HAS COMPLETE COMMLS & KINGSTON TRIO FOR 7UP AT END.mp3

1960-07-02 Indianapolis IN News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-057

1960-07-02 Los Angeles CA Evening City News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-056

1960-07-03 Fresno CA Bee
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-055

1960-07-03 Kansas City MO Star
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-054

1960-07-03 Miami FL Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-053

1960-07-03 Tampa Bay FL Times

Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-052

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Rearle1, eliyahusimlevin and soorhands like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 7/21/2021, 9:51 am

Thanks greybelt
Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/22/2021, 7:00 am

Today's recording has not been updated for 9+ years. This is an edited network broadcast; no complete version of this episode has been found.

This is one of those NY episodes where Suspense put its proverbial toe in the water of science fiction. The space race was on at the time, so it is understandable that episodes like this might be used in an attempt for relevance and the hope of engaging a younger audience. Suspense did not do sci-fi often, but did have some interesting productions prior to moving back to NY, such as Kaleidoscope and Return to Dust. Those were notable in some way for microphone techniques for the former, and the latter had Dick Beals' performance which was all his voice -- unaided by special audio effects. Dust was a George Bamber script as is today's recording.

As noted a few posts ago, this Bamber script was also done on Theater Five five years later. Bamber wrote a wide range of scripts, not all of them sci-fi, some of which were presented by Robson. Bamber was unfortunately responsible for Like Man, Somebody Dig Me. Don't hold it against him.

Suspense_1960-07-10_ReportFromADeadPlanet_wBillMason UPGRADE-3.mp3

1960-07-10 Tampa FL Times
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-061

1960-07-09 Los Angeles CA Evening Citizen News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-060

1960-07-10 Boston MA Globe
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-059

1960-07-10 Kansas City MO Star
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-058

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, kdmarket, shadowsmom, otrhead, Rearle1, eliyahusimlevin and soorhands like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 7/22/2021, 9:18 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/23/2021, 6:36 am

Today's entry is courtesy of chasedad once more, and there is also an upgrade from some of the reels I have been processing.

The AFRS Far East network recording is from chasedad and I have posted two files. The "full aircheck" has some announcements before and after the program. The "from aircheck" is the episode only. These recordings have not been in circulation to any great degree.

And then there's a cleaned-up network copy; have not had one of these for 13 years! The only circulating copy in most all collections had a patched opening. That's not on this recording. This copy has been processed from one of the tapes that have been in review here, and it no longer has the background hum and hiss so common in the recordings of this period. It's so good to work with tapes from early in the hobby and not with some of the digitized files from the 1990s that often have encode defects and other problems that create processing challenges. From the tapes you get a fresh transfer from early in its collecting history and audio problems can be addressed with modern software more effectively.

Suspense_1960-07-31_End_Game_wSantosOrtega AFRS-FEN from aircheck.mp3

Suspense_1960-07-31_End_Game_wSantosOrtega AFRS-FEN full aircheck.mp3

Suspense_1960-07-31_End_Game_wSantosOrtega NETWORK cl op UPGRADE-2.mp3

Newspaper clippings were posted previously; these are new...

1960-07-30 Los Angeles CA Evening Citizen News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-064

1960-07-31 Kansas City MO Star
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-063

1960-07-31 Wichita KS Eagle
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-062

Santos Ortega was one of NY radio's busiest actors. Something's up with the RadioGoldindex for him as the listings start with 1957. He was around well before that.
We know that's wrong because he was Commissioner Weston on The Shadow for many years.
"Ortega was a lifelong tobacco user who often smoked cigars during his radio shows." Ortega's family was in the cigar business in Latin America.
I got news for you, Wikipedia, EVERYBODY smoked when they were on radio. Not everyone smoked cigars, but I bet the cigar smokers were more likely hanging out in the control room.
Ed Blainey, sound effects artist at ABC, said he'd smoke constantly, and would share a fifth of scotch with some of the other effects guys while they were working or during in-studio downtime.

RadioClassics birthday tribute [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
An Ellery Queen website has a good page for him [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, otrhead and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 7/23/2021, 10:21 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/24/2021, 3:43 am

Today's recording is an improved recording of an episode that has always circulated with a loud hum and other background noise. It's better, definitely not perfect, but a worthwhile improvement.

Suspense_1960-08-21_Truck_Stop_wMandelKramer UPGRADE-2.mp3

1960-08-21 Tampa Bay FL Times
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-067

1960-08-20 Indianapolis IN News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-066

1960-08-21 Lubbock TX Avalanche-Journal
Suspense Upgrades - Page 38 1960-065

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Rearle1, Kestanley and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next