The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Orson Welles Commentaries

+3
lasombra
pnussbaum
Buck Benny
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Orson Welles Commentaries Empty Orson Welles Commentaries

Post by Buck Benny 11/19/2020, 4:20 am

The Orson Welles Commentaries were mostly lost to time, but now we have pretty much all of them and I present them with my podcast team every Wednesday and thought some of you might like to hear it. Here is the episode from 75 years ago this week.  This is one of the episodes that has been missing for 75 years.  Tell me if you want me to post more.

Orson Welles Podcast 1945-11-18 Orson Welles Commentaries - Roumors and Gossip About Reality, and The Fairy Story (Kathy, Terry, and Buck)

Last edited by Buck Benny on 11/19/2020, 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Buck Benny

CRGibson, Red_Eagle, RadioWisconsin, kdmarket, Tom-In-Ohio, pnussbaum and nickp57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Orson Welles Commentaries Empty Re: Orson Welles Commentaries

Post by Buck Benny 11/19/2020, 1:52 pm

Well I guess we will start marching backwards to cover the episodes that we've already done.  I really like this one in that it gives us both insight into Orson as well as Louie Armstrong and Jazz as well as modern Classical music at the time.  Oh, and my crew is historian Kathy Fuller-Seeley writer of a few books on Jack Benny and Terry Phillips who has a long history in entertainment as well as currently writing and producing new audio dramas and comedies. Yet another episode that has been missing for 75 years!

Orson Welles Podcast 1945-11-11 Orson Welles Commentaries - Orson Reads a Letter by Louie Armstrong, and is Accompanied by a Jazz Jam Session (Kathy, Terry, Buck)

Orson's podcast is usually on the Judy Garland and Friends OTR Podcast at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] every Wednesday for Welles Wednesday.

Buck Benny

CRGibson, RadioWisconsin, kdmarket, Tom-In-Ohio, lasombra and nickp57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pnussbaum 11/20/2020, 1:30 pm

This is very exciting! I'd like to hear these to fill in some gaps in my Welles research.
pnussbaum
pnussbaum

Back to top Go down

Post by nickp57 11/21/2020, 2:42 pm

This is great! Thanks so much for posting. I've uploaded a lot of Orson Welles Commentaries along with a wide range of other Mercury miscellany on the Internet Archive. All in great sound. Here's some links:

Orson Welles Commentaries

Mercury Theatre On the Air

The Campbell Playhouse

Lady Esther Presents: The Orson Welles Show

Ceiling Unlimited

Hello Americans

This is My Best

The Mercury Summer Theatre

Eversharp Almanac

Misc Orson Welles broadcasts

nickp57

markemark, RadioWisconsin, kdmarket, Tom-In-Ohio, pnussbaum, Wildcat44, lasombra and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 11/21/2020, 4:40 pm

Thanks so much, nickp57!

lasombra

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 11/22/2020, 10:49 am

Wow, the sound on those links are great, straight from disc :-)

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 11/26/2020, 5:21 pm

Happy Thanksgiving from Orson and our podcast team.

Orson Welles Podcast 1945-11-25 Orson Welles Commentaries - The Fortune Telling Lobbyist, Delay in Bringing The Boys Home, and A Starving World For Thanksgiving

Buck Benny

CRGibson, kdmarket and pnussbaum like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 12/4/2020, 2:43 pm

75 years ago this week!

Orson Welles Podcast 1945-12-02 Orson Welles Commentaries - Broadcast from Chicago, Oklahoma City flight holdover, deteriorating situations in China, Iran

Buck Benny

CRGibson and kdmarket like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 12/4/2020, 2:47 pm

dbf wrote:Wow, the sound on those links are great, straight from disc :-)

The Orson Wells Commentary files I'm sharing each week are the highest quality files that I have ever heard of this series and each and every one sound marvelous so far!

Buck Benny

kdmarket and dbf like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 12/8/2020, 12:50 pm

Buck Benny wrote:

The Orson Wells Commentary files I'm sharing each week are the highest quality files that I have ever heard of this series and each and every one sound marvelous so far!

They'll be the ones posted by the Lilly Library. They posted a complete set, except for one episode (1946.03.10) which they have, but haven't posted for some reason.

Egg_Crisis

kdmarket, Buck Benny and nickp57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 12/9/2020, 4:21 am

Egg_Crisis wrote:
Buck Benny wrote:

They'll be the ones posted by the Lilly Library.  They posted a complete set, except for one episode (1946.03.10) which they have, but haven't posted for some reason.

Has anyone converted these over to MP3 somewhere?  I keep converting them one at a time, but it's a little bit of a pain.  I'm saving them as individual files without my intros and as podcasts with my intros.  I will make them all available in a batch in this thread, with and without intros, when I'm done with the weekly podcasts of them.  So don't waste your time downloading them and stripping off my intros if anyone is doing that, It's just a waste of your time, since I will provide them to everyone sans intros anyway.

Buck Benny

kdmarket and pnussbaum like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 12/10/2020, 3:04 am

This weeks episode is wonderfully historic and well done by our Orsy.

Orson Welles Podcast 1945-12-09 13 Orson Welles Commentaries - Broadcast from Treasure Island Naval Base in San Francisco (Kathy, Terry, and Buck)

Last edited by Buck Benny on 12/11/2020, 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Buck Benny

kdmarket and paulgeaf like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by nickp57 12/10/2020, 3:49 pm

Yes, the Mp3s I posted above to the Internet Archive are pulled from the Lilly Library. Enjoy!

Buck Benny wrote:
Egg_Crisis wrote:
Buck Benny wrote:

They'll be the ones posted by the Lilly Library.  They posted a complete set, except for one episode (1946.03.10) which they have, but haven't posted for some reason.

Has anyone converted these over to MP3 somewhere?  I keep converting them one at a time, but it's a little bit of a pain.  I'm saving them as individual files without my intros and as podcasts with my intros.  I will make them all available in a batch in this thread, with and without intros, when I'm done with the weekly podcasts of them.  So don't waste your time downloading them and stripping off my intros if anyone is doing that, It's just a waste of your time, since I will provide them to everyone sans intros anyway.

nickp57

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 12/19/2020, 7:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Orson Welles Commentaries - Fortune telling, Russia and Iran, Virginia and Santa Claus, HUAC

Buck Benny

kdmarket and paulgeaf like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 1/19/2021, 12:25 pm

Happy New Year, all.

The Lilly Collection is a great blessing - and a template for how OTHER large amassings of Classic Radio/Audio material should be presented in the Digital/Internet Age.

Yes, I know that it takes money - which the Lilly got.

But if all the money that we all spent on buying discs, in the era when discs are passing, could be applied to a "common good" fund for such projects, ALL would benefit.

And this worthy material would be widely, and well, heard. Which is the literal meaning of, "Broad - casting." And which was the goal for which all of these artists and craftsmen did all of their hard work over many years.

Pray (if so inclined), take good care, and be well,
- Craig

wich2

CRGibson, pnussbaum and paulgeaf like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pnussbaum 1/19/2021, 3:36 pm

Well-said, Craig. They gave me a fellowship to fund my research on the political life of Orson Welles and I'm forever grateful.
pnussbaum
pnussbaum

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 3/22/2021, 4:55 pm

Oops, need to do some catching up here!

Orson Welles Podcast 1945-12-16 Orson Welles Commentaries - Fortune telling, Russia and Iran, Virginia and Santa Claus, HUAC (Kathy, Terry, Rob and Buck)

Buck Benny

CRGibson, kdmarket, Tom-In-Ohio and pnussbaum like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 3/22/2021, 4:57 pm

Orson Welles Podcast 1945-12-23 Orson Welles Commentaries - Broadcast from Mexico City, Stone of the Sun

Buck Benny

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 3/22/2021, 4:59 pm

Orson Welles Podcast 1945-12-30 Orson Welles Commentaries - Broadcast from Miami, International brotherhood of magicians and a night at Chichen Itza (Kathy and Buck)

Buck Benny

CRGibson, kdmarket, Tom-In-Ohio, pnussbaum and eliyahusimlevin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 5/27/2021, 8:45 pm

Kind of let this fall behind. Let's post a month.

Orson Welles Podcast 1946-01-06 Orson Welles Commentaries - Epiphany story surrounding the birth of Jesus and the plight of many US veterans

Buck Benny

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 5/27/2021, 8:49 pm

Orson Welles Podcast 1946-01-13 Orson Welles Commentaries - Free Lear radios, advertising on Broadway and New York (Kathy, John, Terry, and Buck)

Buck Benny

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 5/27/2021, 8:52 pm

Orson Welles Podcast 1946-01-20 Orson Welles Commentaries - A Walk in the Sun, unemployed vets and rich war profiteers, the plight of blacks in America (Kathy, Terry, and Buck)

Buck Benny

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 5/27/2021, 8:59 pm

Orson Welles Podcast 1946-01-27 Orson Welles Commentaries - Tribute to FDR, Truman's advisors bow to big business, audience gullability and freedom (John and Buck)

Buck Benny

CRGibson, kdmarket, Tom-In-Ohio, pnussbaum, Wildcat44 and lasombra like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 6/1/2021, 4:32 pm

Well, since so many of you seem to like those January episodes I posted last week then lets post another month of episodes from February 1946, 75 years ago!  Here is where we leave behind all of the sets made available commercially and get into the really rare stuff that I think can only be found in the Lilly collection.

Orson Welles Podcast 1946-02-03 Orson Welles Commentaries - Orson reads an audience members story and talks about the Senate

Last edited by Buck Benny on 6/1/2021, 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Buck Benny

kdmarket, Tom-In-Ohio and pnussbaum like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 6/1/2021, 4:41 pm

Orson Welles Podcast 1946-02-10 Orson Welles Commentaries - Orson talks of not being for sale, Danny Thomas, and responds to Senator Pepper (John and Buck)

Buck Benny

kdmarket, Tom-In-Ohio and pnussbaum like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum