The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Just Joined the OTRR page on Facebook...

5 posters

Go down

I Just Joined the OTRR page on Facebook... Empty I Just Joined the OTRR page on Facebook...

Post by Space Cadet 10/18/2021, 9:54 pm

Yup, I just joined the OTRR groups page on Facebook. And I LOVE IT! But it really burns my butt, that people seem to have joined the group just to try to sell OTR on the page. And cynical me has to wonder how much of what they're trying to sell, was downloaded for free from the OTRR groups page on archive.org, from here and from other pages which freely share OTR. One of them went so far, as to describe what OTRR offers on Archive as low quality MP3s.

I have about a five paragraph rant built up in me right now. But I'm gonna keep it short. It is morally wrong in my world, to take for free that which others have dedicated countless hours of work to locate, improve to the best possible quality and then give it away freely for others to enjoy and then sell it for profit.

I just wish there was a way to stop them. But at least if they try that here (and they have tried) I have and will continue to unceremoniously Kick Them the HELL OUT!!!

Apologies to any who this may offend.

End of rant,
Space
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Location : Been put out to pasture, gone to seed or something like that

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

ghemrats, Seamus, Wildcat44 and iheartotr like this post

Back to top Go down

I Just Joined the OTRR page on Facebook... Empty Re: I Just Joined the OTRR page on Facebook...

Post by Seamus 10/20/2021, 8:37 am

Can't fathom selling OTR now makes no sense to me. Everything is available and we discuss collections all the time. Our members have been heavily involved in these so we all know to go to archive.org to pull down shows.

Selling shows others have worked on is predatory selling. We will have no part of such shams.

I am with you Space let's get out the deluxe CC soap box that is really a large stage so we can speak out against fools who try and profit from a nice hobby for the rest of us.

Last edited by Seamus on 10/21/2021, 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Space Cadet and artatoldotr like this post

Back to top Go down

I Just Joined the OTRR page on Facebook... Empty Re: I Just Joined the OTRR page on Facebook...

Post by Space Cadet 10/20/2021, 4:21 pm

I think we're all pretty much on the same page on this subject. My major issue was with the seller who described OTRR's freely shared files as low quality mp3 files. Then he thought better of it and deleted the post.

But the point that was mostly lost in my original post is this. If you're an OTR fan (and I assume you are) and still are involved in Farcebook, I highly recommend searching for the Old Time Radio Researchers page and joining. It may not be a Who's Who of OTR research and collecting, but it's pretty darn close. The news and tidbits related to the hobby are a true joy to me.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Location : Been put out to pasture, gone to seed or something like that

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

ghemrats and Seamus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by otrhead 12/29/2021, 4:51 pm

Why has it moved from here where it all started?

otrhead

Back to top Go down

Post by timbabwe 8/20/2022, 11:42 am

Thanks for the tip.  I just signed up.
The Admin-bot asked my favorite radio show.
I answered "The Magnificent Montague".

Figger that shows deep-cut knowledge and
hipster cred.  And, at times, now and then,
it's true.  
Just hope they don't ask me again in three
years to verify I am who I say I am.
timbabwe
timbabwe

Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 8/20/2022, 2:02 pm

A number of years ago I digitized my entire collection of the NPR show *Earplay* from the relatively high quality recordings I made from the air. I offered them free to collectors on a Canadian site that focused more on NTR than our good old stuff here.

Within days some yuckazoo neanderthal had downloaded the complete works, changed the tags and offered them for sale at some ungodly price. (I know they were mine because they still had the local airchecks on them as well as my encodes) I was livid, which is pretty hard to inspire in me as I avoid lividity like it's Covid.

After that the only shows I posted were generally circulated programs. As The Refreshments sang, Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people, so meet at the mission at midnight, we'll divvy up there. . . A pox (not a pax) on those vultures, Space. They are a scourge to all the honest, good people who live here in Cobaltia.
Jeff

ghemrats

Seamus and Rearle1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down