The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again!

+11
JazzMan
CompleteDayMan
CRGibson
just_me
kdmarket
Oday450
nightkey
bicho
greybelt
ghemrats
Space Cadet
15 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again!

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/22/2019, 12:21 pm

I never trusted that Dragon Lensman. Too shifty for me.

Here's a new addition to the jukebox - how about some Joe Marsala?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again!

Post by Space Cadet 11/22/2019, 6:41 pm

CompleteDayMan wrote:I never trusted that Dragon Lensman. Too shifty for me.

Nah. The Lensmen are honest and brave to absurd levels.

Here's some background for Ya.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Location : Been put out to pasture, gone to seed or something like that

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 11/27/2019, 8:43 pm

To all the very strange customers of the Whale Room, a very happy Thanksgiving 2019. How's about I put my last gold doubloon in the nickelodeon and play us some Bob C.

CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 12/18/2019, 5:29 pm

I popped in to see if anything was happening and lo and behold nothing was going on. Even the nickelodeon was silent, much to my dismay. I passed the screening room in Frenchie's Place and Space was fast asleep on the couch with the trailing end of the first reel of They Came From Outer Space flapping against the pickup reel. Other reels were lying in a heap on the floor as if he'd just been on a marathon watching binge. Jeff was up in the Balcony staring fixatedly at a large portrait of Ann-Margret he'd placed on the seat next to him and mumbling incoherently. There wasn't another person in the place. Where is everybodeeee?

Coming down to earth, I realized that this past Sunday was the 75th anniversary of Glenn Miller's disappearance over the English Channel on Dec 15, 1944 while on a short flight from London to Paris to meet up with his band.

Prior to leaving the UK, Glenn and his various sub groups had pre-recorded 80 broadcasts for the BBC to use in case atmospheric conditions prevented future broadcasts from the new base in Europe from reaching the UK. So far I have not been able to find one for this date, but I do have one from this date a year prior. Here is Glenn et al with I Sustain The Wings from Dec 18, 1943.

Glenn Miller - I Sustain The Wings 1943-12-18 - I Hear You Screamin'

CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 12/18/2019, 5:45 pm

I passed the screening room in Frenchie's Place and Space was fast asleep on the couch with the trailing end of the first reel of They Came From Outer Space flapping against the pickup reel.

It's called a night light. I'm not afraid of the dark. But that rhythmic flp... flp... flp... as the film hits the top of the projector puts me straight to sleep.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 12/18/2019, 7:53 pm

Hey yo, Katz and Kittenz.  I think we have an instigator in our midst. I just clocked in at the Whale Room and found photos on the bandstand: Ann-Margret, Myrna Loy, Hedy Lemarr, Joy Lansing and a big shot of Rita Hayworth which seemed to be hiding a huge hole in the brick.  

I haven't totally investigated where it leads yet, but I did find a mint condition seven-inch-thick disc of Earl Fatha Hines direct from the Grand Terrace in Chicago--that's our sister satellite station and Hey Barbara ReBop's first job.

And, CD Man, if I could impose, could you nose around and see who's been hanging up the pix?  I'd like to shake his hand.
Yazz yass.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 12/18/2019, 9:56 pm

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again! - Page 4 1*vQt-Is79XgoK4BVwFIGqsQ
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 12/18/2019, 9:57 pm

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again! - Page 4 MyrnaLoy1-802x1024
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 12/18/2019, 10:03 pm

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again! - Page 4 6a0120a5c8d9a9970c0120a69e23d2970c-pi
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 12/18/2019, 10:07 pm

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again! - Page 4 UwCtmpwSXhWfT2jq_lNFitwdVIjU_z-lM_SRybEpJDk
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 12/18/2019, 10:09 pm

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again! - Page 4 Hedy4
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 12/18/2019, 10:14 pm

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again! - Page 4 Outlaw1--a

Don't forget Jane.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 12/18/2019, 10:18 pm

My all time favorite Rita pinup.

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again! - Page 4 Rita_hayworth-45
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 12/22/2019, 10:30 am

Space is the aircon on the fritz again? it sure is getting hot in here and not its not the bowl of tomato soup I am drinking ....
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 12/22/2019, 10:36 am

Okay folks not to alarm anyone. But after following the hole in the wall to another room that does not seem to be on the building plans I found this. Anyone know what this is doing in here????

The Jump Jivin' Whale Room Lives Again! - Page 4 Hg_wel10
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 12/22/2019, 11:20 am

Boss, you've uncovered Mars's Cave of Wonders. And that scares the bejeebers outta me. It's his version of the Bat Cave. And it's filled with mementos he brought back from his many adventures in time and space. The scary part ain't the devices he stored there. Those can only create bedlam and chaos if activated. But in the back of the room, there's a door into another corridor. That's the entrance to what he called the Time and Space Zoo. Hundreds of critters from multiple time lines and places along the various iterations of the multiverse. Each held within it's own stasis of time. If there was a power glitch, (and based on the A/C issue, I think there was.) those critters could get loose and start wanderin' around. And there are some real baddies on the list of critters stored there.

The characters and critters of Space/Timeline Gygax are bad enough. But I'm pretty sure we could handle a few various colored dragons and wizards from the D&D realm. But if a few of the dieties from from the Greek, Roman and Norse pantheons get loose in here... that would be BAD!!!
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BobbyP 3/28/2020, 1:55 pm

WNYC Jazz Festival. February 19, 1949. WNYC, New York. Sustaining. The first tune is, "Twelfth Street Rag." Rudi Blesh (host), Art Hodes, Tony Parenti, Leadbelly, Joe Sullivan, Charlie Traeger, Freddie Moore, Bernard Buck (host). 1:17:43.

BobbyP
BobbyP

Back to top Go down

Post by BobbyP 4/2/2020, 2:04 am

ASCAP Carnegie Hall Concert. October 2, 1939. A program celebrating the twenty-fifth anniversary of the organization. Louis Armstrong blows hot on "What Is This Thing Called Swing?" Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway, Claude Hopkins. 29:48.

BobbyP
BobbyP

Back to top Go down

Post by bicho 4/2/2020, 4:40 pm

that´s cool! i know only glenn miller´s concert from six days later as ascap carnegie hall concert!
thanks for this one.

Keep boppin´
marcel

bicho

Back to top Go down

Post by bicho 4/2/2020, 4:42 pm

BobbyP wrote:WNYC Jazz Festival. February 19, 1949. WNYC, New York. Sustaining. The first tune is, "Twelfth Street Rag." Rudi Blesh (host), Art Hodes, Tony Parenti, Leadbelly, Joe Sullivan, Charlie Traeger, Freddie Moore, Bernard Buck (host). 1:17:43.

wonderful stuff! i saw art hodes back in the 80´s in our Little town here and it was great.
thanks for this rare gem!

Keep boppin´
marcel

bicho

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 4/2/2020, 5:05 pm

What! Postings in the Whale Room.
Aliens alert! Aliens alert!

(Thanks Bobby)
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by BobbyP 4/2/2020, 8:39 pm

I'm glad you all enjoyed them. I'll try to find some more to post.
BobbyP
BobbyP

Back to top Go down

Post by BobbyP 4/6/2020, 9:18 pm

Esquire Jazz Concert. January 17, 1945. Blue Network. Sustaining. The program originates in New York, New Orleans and Hollywood. "An aural time-capsule of swing music, 1945." The finale is a three-way, three city jam session! Al Casey, Anita O'Day, Art Tatum, Beatrice Lillie, Billie Holiday, Billy Strayhorn, Bunk Johnson, Danny Kaye, Duke Ellington and His Orchestra, Glenn Riggs (New York announcer), Irving Fazola, Jack Benny, James P. Johnson, J. C. Higginbotham, Jerome Kern (composer), Lena Horne, Lionel Barrymore, Louis Armstrong, Leon Prima and His Orchestra, Mary Osbourne (Baby Marie), Mildred Bailey, Sid Catlett, Sidney Bechet, The Benny Goodman Quintet, Willie Smith, Leonard Feather. 1:00:00.

BobbyP
BobbyP

Back to top Go down

Post by bicho 4/7/2020, 5:30 pm

thanks for a classic in Radio jazz history.
Keep boppin´
marcel

bicho

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 4/4/2023, 10:03 am

BobbyP wrote:Esquire Jazz Concert. January 17, 1945. Blue Network. Sustaining. The program originates in New York, New Orleans and Hollywood. "An aural time-capsule of swing music, 1945." The finale is a three-way, three city jam session! Al Casey, Anita O'Day, Art Tatum, Beatrice Lillie, Billie Holiday, Billy Strayhorn, Bunk Johnson, Danny Kaye, Duke Ellington and His Orchestra, Glenn Riggs (New York announcer), Irving Fazola, Jack Benny, James P. Johnson, J. C. Higginbotham, Jerome Kern (composer), Lena Horne, Lionel Barrymore, Louis Armstrong, Leon Prima and His Orchestra, Mary Osbourne (Baby Marie), Mildred Bailey, Sid Catlett, Sidney Bechet, The Benny Goodman Quintet, Willie Smith, Leonard Feather. 1:00:00.

Looks like this room hasn't seen the light of day, or the beams of the moon, in ages. In the off chance that someone stumbles in here, might you repost this concert?

lasombra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next