The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format?

+13
dbf
duhar
eliyahusimlevin
patrickwinn
kdmarket
Buck Benny
pfmurphy
otrhead
mstevens90
Tom-In-Ohio
Space Cadet
JazzMan
keilj_33
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format? - Page 3 Empty Re: Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format?

Post by duhar 1/10/2019, 2:28 pm

Thanks very much for sharing dbf

duhar

Back to top Go down

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format? - Page 3 Empty Re: Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format?

Post by greybelt 1/10/2019, 2:47 pm

Duhar! You're back! Haven't seen you in a while!

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by duhar 1/12/2019, 4:08 pm

Hi Greybelt .....yes its been a while... just woke up from a long winter's nap

duhar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Davenport 1/15/2019, 6:40 pm

There would be no point in converting MP3 to flac. You should only put in flac when converting from source material. I am converting my tape collection to wav. Hard drive space is inexpensive & it is very convenient for me to work with.

Ted Davenport

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 1/15/2019, 10:55 pm

Ted Davenport wrote:There would be no point in converting MP3 to flac. You should only put in flac when converting from source material. I am converting my tape collection to wav. Hard drive space is inexpensive & it is very convenient for me to work with.

That's right. I've encountered flacs that do turn out to be from mp3, but thankfully it's easy to identify them.
Even mp3's aren't safe from this silliness - many files that people think are an upgrade are just the 32kbps files re-encoded to higher bitrates.

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/22/2019, 10:21 am

What a strange show...BORIS KARLOFF AND HIS TREASURE CHEST, a kiddie show...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

dbf

Back to top Go down

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format? - Page 3 Empty Flac

Post by Ted Davenport 2/2/2019, 4:30 pm

greybelt wrote:Flac is starting to appear much more often in the hobby, especially for recordings directly from discs. It's been a notable change in the last 18 months. More collectors are also ripping CDs to flac rather than mp3. It's been slow in coming. I doubt there will be any full Suspense collection in flac for many years.

I collect in wav & flac files. I have the entire SUSPENSE series in wav files.

Ted Davenport

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 2/2/2019, 8:36 pm

I was referring to things like the OTRR certified set. I know that you and Jerry H and a handful of other collectors have everything in the lossless formats. There are some specific versions of specific episodes that I have never seen in lossless form.

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 2/2/2019, 11:39 pm

greybelt wrote:More collectors are also ripping CDs to flac

One problem with that is that many cd's are burned from mp3's.  Anyone ripping a cd would have to check each show spectrally to make sure it's not sourced from an mp3.

Incidentally if anyone's wondered, the flac's I've posted are things I've transferred myself from cassettes I collected in the 80's & 90's.

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 2/3/2019, 7:15 am

This is always the dilemma -- what happens to the original source material? I know many of the more obscure Suspense items I have no longer have source material available either because of disposal or decay or the people who had them have passed away. Part of the idea of digital was to be able to toss all of those analog formats that took up so much space, without any sense of preservation. So here we are today, with some incredible processing tools, recording formats, and storage media that could make many of those source recordings better and they are gone. We make the best of what we have.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format? - Page 3 Empty Posting

Post by Ted Davenport 2/20/2019, 4:27 pm

keilj_33 wrote:Greetings:

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC format? I'm trying to collect programs, particularly Suspense, in the best audio quality that I can find in FLAC.

Thanks,
Jeff Keil

Jeff,
Well, I do but you know that. My entire collection is in wav & flac - no MP3. Best.

Ted Davenport

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 2/23/2019, 3:27 pm

Sound quality on these Flac files was really good. I know it would make Neil Young happy.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Davenport 2/2/2020, 11:58 pm

greybelt wrote:Flac is starting to appear much more often in the hobby, especially for recordings directly from discs. It's been a notable change in the last 18 months. More collectors are also ripping CDs to flac rather than mp3. It's been slow in coming. I doubt there will be any full Suspense collection in flac for many years.

I have a complete Suspense run (except for the missing episodes) in wav files taken from my tapes.

Ted Davenport

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3