The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suspense Upgrades

+24
kdmarket
JeffStew11
DanTheChase
Crunklydunks
Larynxa
BobbyP
Rearle1
Harlow Wilcox
gathol
bojim1
soorhands
wich2
emruf7
jerry6
Seamus
JazzMan
mjnunes84
Kestanley
nickp57
chasedad
artatoldotr
greybelt
lasombra
otrhead
28 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Suspense Upgrades - Page 20 Empty Re: Suspense Upgrades

Post by chasedad 6/2/2022, 10:41 am

Interesting to see the publicity for this episode listing some of the cast members' current appearances on stage. This was never done on the show itself during this period of the New York run (1959-60), although it is done in some of the shows during the 1961-62 run.

If you're looking for suggestions for a "best of" retrospective, I'd put in a vote for "The Giant of Thermopylae", one of my very favorite episodes and one that you usually don't see mentioned when this subject comes up. A great script by E. Jack Neuman, an outstanding performance by Frank Lovejoy, one of the consummate radio performances, and a real showcase for the CBS sound designers: it's truly the kind of script that couldn't have done on television (not without having it look absurd, at any rate).

Also, I know you're not a particular fan of John Dickson Carr and find his scripts stodgy in comparison to what was used on "Suspense" later on---I thought he was a brilliant writer of ingenious radio mystery scripts myself---but he was so important to the earliest years of the show, and especially if you want to give people not familiar with the show a taste of what it was like in the pre-Roma days, you're not going to do better than one of his scripts. It's hard to choose a favorite among his scripts, but I'd probably go with "Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble" or "The Devil's Saint".

Oh, and if you want to throw a comic episode into the mix you can't do better than "Pearls are a Nuisance", based on the Raymond Chandler story.

chasedad

greybelt and otrhead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/2/2022, 12:14 pm

The Carr episodes do befuddle me. It is interesting that Vanda and Carr left, both for WW2 reasons, and that the original vision changed while they were away, and not to return in a "vision" sense. There is no doubt that the popularity of Carr put the show on the map and gave it great credibility. But I wonder how long it would have lasted with that style.

I have thought that Five Canaries had a B-movie feel to it that was kind of entertaining in a light mystery kind of way.

There's always Cabin B13 but that always seems to not live up to expectations for some reason. Hmmmm..

Any other thoughts? Carr should be represented by at least one episode.

I agree with The Giant for the reasons you state. For some reason that episode is never "top of mind" to me -- but I always enjoy it.

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

otrhead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chasedad 6/2/2022, 1:56 pm

Other Carr scripts? "Menace in Wax" is fun, although the female lead (with her assumed French accent) isn't anywhere near as charming or funny as she's supposed to be. "Til Death Do Us Part" is a marvelous showcase for Peter Lorre's talents, "The Moment of Darkness" somewhat less so (although the script is very clever and engaging). "Two Sharp Knives" is great (the '45 version is miles better than the '42), although I don't know how much of it is lifted directly from the Dashiell Hammett short story. "Mr. Markham, Antique Dealer" is aces (Henry Daniell giving a superior performance in the title role over Paul Lukas'). And "The Locked Room", his last script for the series, puts an outstanding cast through their paces for a very entertaining half-hour.

As you could tell, I'd be happy with a whole show dedicated to John Dickson Carr scripts!

chasedad

otrhead and Rearle1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/2/2022, 7:50 pm

You obviously didn't like my Five Canaries Smile
If you had to pick between Til Death and Locked Room, which would it be?

What other suggestions can be made but folks on this thread for episodes over the 20 years that would be great especially for new listeners?

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

otrhead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chasedad 6/2/2022, 11:00 pm

Oh, no, I actually like “Five Canaries in the Room” very much, it’s just that my follow-up post addressed episodes that hadn’t been mentioned yet. It has another actress using an exaggerated French accent, and the white actor playing a black character in the opening scene will make modern audiences cringe, but on the whole it’s a fun puzzle.

“Til Death Do Us Part” features that bravura Lorre performance, but I think “The Locked Room” is more satisfying overall.

chasedad

otrhead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/3/2022, 6:47 am

THANKS for the clarification... I think I'm in The Locked Room camp now until someone lets me out!

These are the Suspense events so far...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is the Stay Tuned America list so far...

1 The Hitchhiker
2 Donovan’s Brain Part 1
3 Donovan’s Brain Part 2
4 Dead Ernest (1946)
5 House in Cypress Canyon
6 Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)
7 The Crowd
8 Night on Red Mountan (1957)
9 Date Night
10 Long Night (the aviation story)
11 Three O’Clock
12 The Giant of Thermopylae
13 The Locked Room
14 Fragile: Contents – Death (1956)
15 The Thing in the Window (1946)
16 On a Country Road (1950)

JUST ADDED 6 HRS AFTER ORIGINAL POST

17 The Man Who Couldn’t Lose (1947)
18 Three Skeleton Key (1956)
19 The Diary of Dr. Pritchard
20 August Heat (1945)
21 Rave Notice (1954)
22 Circumstantial Terror
23 To Find Help (1945)

There are several candidates for #24 still working through the possibilities

Last edited by greybelt on 6/3/2022, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

greybelt
greybelt

otrhead, Rearle1 and chasedad like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/3/2022, 7:35 am

Be sure to visit this webpage to see the "events" around the 80th anniversary of Suspense. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I'm waiting for details as one of the better streaming stations will be running their entire Suspense collection starting on June 17 and running it for days until it is done.

Multiple episodes today....

This episode has not been upgraded for 4+ years
Suspense_1960-03-13_Revolution_wPhillipMeader&RosemaryRice UPGRADE-4.mp3
MEGA [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This episode has two versions with station ID, and even one that starts with a Castro Convertibe commercial! This version has no station ID... but has nice sound
Suspense_1960-04-17_Tonight_At_Five_FiftyFive_wLuisVanRooten UPGRADE no station ID.mp3

This episode was last upgraded 3+ years ago...
Suspense_1960-04-24_OneMoreShot_wJosephJulian UPGRADE-3.mp3

These three recordings and the other versions can be found at this link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which expires in 7 days

There are no new newsclippings for these episodes.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, artatoldotr, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, otrhead and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/4/2022, 4:33 am

Two recordings today... but first...
Tonight is the first of the 80th anniversary events. It's the Radio Talking Book Service and a program with fellow collector Ryan Osentowski called "Dusty Attic."
Live streaming is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] RTBS recommends using the TuneIn app on phones and such
Saturday 11pmET/10pmCT starting this weekend, June 4, 2022
Sunday 10pmET/9pmCT is the repeat play

Other events will be noted as they are announced at this page

The following is an upgrade for the file with this characteristic of no WROW ID. We have an older file in better sound from 2008 -- with the ID -- that we have never been able to upgrade (see below)
Suspense_1960-03-06_SleepIsForChildren_wElspethEric UPGRADE-2 no WROW ID.mp3

1960-03-06 Asheville NC Citizen-Times
See the different title; that was the original title.
Suspense Upgrades - Page 20 1960-074

The title was changed, and noted on the script with an official "scratch-out" in pencil. See the "shopping list" of sound effects. By this time they were a combination of tape cartridges, records, and live action, some edited in after the performance.

Suspense Upgrades - Page 20 1960-073

This copy is in better sound, but the opening is clipped. We also have a complete recording, but that is in lesser sound.
Suspense_1960-05-22_OutTheWindow CLIPPED OPEN BETTER SOUND-2.mp3

1960-05-22 Durham NC Herald-Sun
Suspense Upgrades - Page 20 1960-072

These two files and other versions mentioned above are at this WeTransfer link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, otrhead, Rearle1 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 6/4/2022, 10:17 am

Thanks greybelt
Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/5/2022, 2:04 pm

The 80th anniversary of Suspense continues. Yesterday we learned how SiriusXM's Radio Classics will note the occasion on June 17, and also how Steve Darnall's show in Chicago will do it on June 11.

Details have been added to the page at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This episode in this version was last upgraded 9 years ago. There is also an AFRTS version. They sound about the same.
Suspense_1960-07-03_Bon_Voyage_wRobertReadick COMPLETE COMMLS & KINGSTON TRIO for 7Up UPGRADE.mp3

This episode was last upgraded about 2 years ago. This is a minor upgrade.
Suspense_1960-07-10_ReportFromADeadPlanet_wBillMason UPGRADE-4.mp3

This script was also used on Theater Five, #256 1965-07-26 In Absence of All Intelligent Life

This was last upgraded about a year ago. It's a slight improvement.
Suspense_1960-08-21_Truck_Stop_wMandelKramer UPGRADE-3.mp3

All of these recordings and the AFRTS version of Bon Voyage are at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are no new newspaper clippings for these episodes.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, otrhead, Rearle1 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/7/2022, 3:44 am

This is the list of episodes that will be played on the Stay Tuned America stream on June 17:

1 The Hitchhiker
2 The Locked Room
3 Donovan’s Brain Part 1
4 Donovan’s Brain Part 2
5 To Find Help (1945)
6 August Heat (1945)
7 Dead Ernest (1946)
8 House in Cypress Canyon
9 The Thing in the Window (1946)
10 The Man Who Couldn’t Lose (1947)
11 Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)
12 Three O’Clock
13 The Crowd
14 On a Country Road (1950)
15 A Killing in Abilene
16 The Diary of Dr. Pritchard
17 The Face is Familiar
18 Circumstantial Terror
19 The Giant of Thermopylae
20 Rave Notice (1954)
21 Fragile: Contents – Death (1956)
22 Long Night (the aviation story)
23 Night on Red Mountain (1957)
24 Three Skeleton Key (1958)

Voice artist Keith Scott and I are preparing introductions of the episodes... so I'm tied up (not in the Three O'Clock way) these next few days as we prepare it.

The first installment of the Suspense salute on the Radio Talking Books Service can be found at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

More neat stuff to come!

greybelt
greybelt

kdmarket, otrhead, Rearle1, chasedad and Crunklydunks like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/9/2022, 6:32 am

This is an upgrade of the network version from 10 years ago. There are two other versions available, AFRS and a network with news. See below.
Suspense_1958-03-16_Game_Hunt_wEverettSloane (Network) NO NEWS UPGRADE-3.mp3

This is a nice upgrade compared to the really low quality version it replaces from 3+ years ago. It's still not a complete broadcast. Perhaps an AFRS version will appear one day.
Suspense_1958-03-30_TheSisters_wFFarmer&CLewis UPGRADE-3 clipped op cl.mp3
There is no recording available of Bill Robson's opening monologue, but we do have the text from the script.
Murder stories have fascinated man ever since Cain slew Abel. Perhaps because we can sublimate our own homicidal tendencies by revelling in how it was done and who done it. All too rarely do we find a murder story that concerns itself with why the deed was done. Such a one you are about to hear. And you are also about to hear the return from retirement of a great actress in her first radio role in many years, as Miss Frances Farmer stars as Lydia with Miss Cathy Lewis as Ellie in “The Sisters” which begins in exactly one minute.

This is an upgrade of a version with clipped open and close. It was last upgraded 3 years ago. There is a LQ one with the network close. There is an AFRS version that has Robson's opening intact (see below).
Suspense_1958-05-11_SubwayStop_wSkipHomeier (likely network) CLIPPED OP & CL UPGRADE-2.mp3

There are no new newspaper clippings.

All of the versions mentioned above ... plus...
Game Hunt (network with news, AFRS)
Subway Stop (network with full close, AFRS)
are at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've been having a blast working with Keith Scott on the openings for all of the episodes that will be in the marathon on Stay Tuned America on June 17 starting at 10am ET. I wrote some little scripts introducing the shows and Keith supplies the voices of the stars ... or some other characters... in them.

It's been interesting finding common windows of time since I'm in North Carolina and he's in the Sydney metro area of Australia. It is stunning how well Zoom works and how easy it has been to swap audio files as we prepare these things. We live in incredible times for communication technologies.

There are also some upgrades for some of the episodes being presented, so it will be worth a listen. So glad we were able to connect again a few years ago after not hearing from each other for decades.

Will post again in a few days...

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, lasombra, otrhead and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 6/9/2022, 10:03 am

Thanks greybelt
Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/10/2022, 4:42 pm

The Suspense 80th Anniversary events can be viewed at
The page has been updated. There are special events tomorrow that can be streamed on the Radio Talking Book Service (very rare full broadcast of The Ten Years is one of the episodes) and Steve Darnall's show in Chicago on WDCB 90.9FM. Full details on the web page.

THE LATEST ADDITION
Conyers Old Time Radio is Streaming Suspense on a Special Channel
This site is running a special channel playing its entire collection of Suspense in date order. The collection takes over 9 days to cycle through before it starts again. It will keep running until about July 5, 2022. This means much of the collection will run three times, with all episodes being played at least twice.
The general site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This is direct address to the streaming page [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  
The special stream is NOT available on TuneIn, but can be found using the Radio Garden app. After searching for Conyers, select the "holiday" stream. The direct link through a browser is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

greybelt
greybelt

otrhead and chasedad like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/13/2022, 3:43 pm

This one was upgraded about 18 months ago... or was it? Whatever it is, it's in better sound.

This is one of those confusing AFRTS situations. The old copy has a recitation of the cast... this one doesn't, just mentioning Raymond Burr. When AFRTS re-issued Suspense, they didn't always edit the closings it the same way. The cast listing is edited out. Otherwise, this is a much nicer copy of this performance than there was before, though the recording has some minor deficiencies.
Suspense_1957-03-10_ThePeraltaMap_wRaymondBurr AFRS UPGRADE-4 CLIPPED CAST.mp3

This is the one posted previously. The end is clipped but you can hear the beginning of the AFRTS announcement -- and -- the full cast is announced before that edit.
Suspense_1957-03-10_ThePeraltaMap_wRaymondBurr AFRS UPGRADE-3.mp3

So the question... are these two different AFRTS releases or just two different collector edits of the same baseline file? I wasn't before, but I'm starting to think these are two different releases. But I am not certain. Comments?

No new newspaper clips are available.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/14/2022, 4:25 am

These two episodes have been circulating for decades. They are essentially edited down to their dramas only, and have always been in sub-par sound. The collection I have recently been reviewing has them in nice sound. Why? Now this makes me wonder if these might be from some production tape that was separate from the opening and closing "wrappers" and had not been fully assembled. We do have more complete broadcasts, but they are in lesser sound, and the drama is harder to appreciate. These kinds of recordings make it difficult for collectors who want to keep just one copy of an episode. Do you want a lesser sounding complete broadcast as your single episode, or the much better-sounding fragment of the broadcast? Completists have it much easier... all you need is the extra disc space that makes pure indecision seem like it's higher wisdom.

Suspense_1958-12-28_ThirtySecondOfDecember_wFrankLovejoy NO COMMLS NO CLOSE UPGRADE-2.mp3

Suspense_1959-04-26_DeepDeepIsMyLove_wLloydBridges UPGRADE-4 no op-cl.mp3

The above episodes and their lesser-sounding but more complete versions are at WeTransfer [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It includes a WBEN-Buffalo, NY aircheck of Deep, Deep.

There are no new newspaper clippings.

Lloyd Bridges on Sea Hunt? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Airplane? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Seinfeld? as Izzy Mandelbaum [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sea Hunt... one of the first scripts sold by our favorite Suspense San Quentin playwrights, Edgar Scott Flohr and Elmer Parsons, was for the episode The Dancer [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Even ex-Suspense producer Anton Leader got into the Sea Hunt act, directing four episodes.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, otrhead, Rearle1, chasedad and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffStew11 6/15/2022, 1:20 am

Thanks for posting these. What struck me after listening to "The 32nd of December" were two lines: "All the time in the world" and "Where is everybody?". Obviously titles of two of the most famous Twilight Zone episodes. Rod Serling must have heard this episode at some point.

JeffStew11

greybelt and Rearle1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/15/2022, 6:10 am

Three episodes today and some news...

Two of the three episodes are "drama only" format that have been discussed in prior posts.

This is the drama only of this episode. It's marked "nice sound" compared to some awful network recordings of this episode. The AFRS version may be the best. We have an LQ network version. I can't say the Duff-Lupino performance is that compelling compared to earlier ones with different casts. They were flying high as a performing couple with their CBS TV sitcom Mr Adams and Eve that aired from January 1957 to July 1958 and were in other TV and movie projects after.
Suspense_1959-05-10_OnACountryRoad_wHowardDuff&IdaLupino (no op cl - nice sound).mp3

This is an upgrade of this drama only recording. This is the script written by a Santa Monica area high school chemistry teacher, originally broadcast in 1946.
Suspense_1959-05-24_SpoilsForVictor_wRobertHorton UPGRADE-2 NO OP-CL.mp3

This is a good upgrade of this recording that includes news.
Suspense_1959-05-31_TheManWhoWouldBeKing_wDanOHerlihy & Hottelet news UPGRADE.mp3

Other versions of these broadcasts, as well as these three, can be found at WeTransfer [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tomorrow June 16, 2022, is the 58th anniversary of the first studio production day of Theater Five. The more we research this series the more fascinating it is. Resources about the series and the research project are at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Watch the video there.
One of Cobalt's own, nickp57, has been writing fresh plot summaries of each episode, and the four missing episode plotlines are being handled by outside documentation. The larger story of this series needs to be told and told well. We're getting much closer to doing so. The Theater Five blog posts an upgraded episode every day, until the last one is done at the end of October.

Friday morning, June 17, 2022 at 10amET, Stay Tuned America will be running the 24 episodes that were picked by me, Keith Scott, and with strong and steadfast input from Cobalt's very own chasedad. Be sure to listen in as Keith and I scripted episode introductions with him as various Suspense guests. Most all are light-hearted, some downright silly, but all in great fun, except when there are greater historical matters to be conveyed. It all starts at the mentioned time at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which is also accessible through the TuneIn and Audacy apps.

Keith and I will be part of a Suspense discussion on YesterdayUSA (both red and blue streams) on Saturday, June 18, 2022, starting at 7pm. We will be with hosts Walden Hughes, Larry Gassman, and John Gassman. Call in at (714) 545-2071 to say "hi" or ask a question. Keith's Suspense log, issued last year, is in process of revision. We had some major resources come through this year with the help of Karl Schadow. Details later... as Karl helped us learn that there was yet another Suspense director, and the activity of Ellen Burstyn in the series got another new twist. Keith's revised log will be available online later this Summer.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is the place to go; I usually go through the TuneIn app.

It is hoped that both of these will be available on an archived basis.

Suspense is running nonstop until July 5 at Conyers OTR at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The regular Conyers stream is available on TuneIn, but the Suspense one has to be accessed through the link.

All the details of the many observances are at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
If you know of others, please let me know.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, artatoldotr, bojim1, kdmarket, otrhead, Rearle1 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/16/2022, 5:04 am

Three more "drama only" format recordings, all upgrades.

This is in much better sound.
Suspense_1959-06-14_DriveIn_wMargaretWhiting UPGRADE-3 (clipped open & close).mp3

Suspense_1959-07-12_Eyewitness_wJohnLund NO OP CL EXCL SOUND.mp3

This broadcast of Night Man has never circulated as a complete program and is usually found in bad sound. Marsha Hunt is still with us... age 104
Suspense_1959-07-26_Night_Man_wMarshaHunt (network) UPGRADE-2.mp3

There is a complete version of Drive-In in VLQ sound.
A copy of Eyewitness is available with a complete open, in sub-par sound.
Today's three upgrade recordings and these two are at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No new newspaper clippings are available.

Tomorrow morning, Friday, June 17, 2022 at 10amET, starts the block of 24 Suspense episodes on Stay Tuned America. Keith Scott and I scripted episode introductions with him as various Suspense guests... some will bring a smirk and a chuckle, especially the ones with Orson Welles, Jack Benny, Frank Lovejoy, Ronald Colman, Hans Conried, Howard Duff, and others.

It's at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which is also accessible through the TuneIn and Audacy apps.

I got news yesterday afternoon that there will be a second stream on a different OTR streaming site starting early Saturday morning. Details were still being worked out. I'll post here as soon as I know...
... and at

Conyers OTR has been running Suspense episodes starting from the first episode. As I type this, the stream is up to late 1948.
The stream will end on July 5. By that time most episodes will be played 3x, with late series shows being played 2x.

Last edited by greybelt on 6/16/2022, 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, lasombra, otrhead, Rearle1 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 6/16/2022, 10:24 am

Thanks greybelt
Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/17/2022, 6:06 am

BIG NEWS in the Suspense 80th anniversary observances. They are detailed at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Today, June 17, 2022, at 10am US ET the 24 episode block begins at Stay Tuned America. Keith Scott joins me as himself and as numerous Suspense guests.

We learned yesterday that the block of programs will also be streaming on Yesterday USA Blue network starting Saturday, June 18, at 6am ET. At 7pm Saturday, Keith and I join hosts Walden Hughes, Larry and John Gassman. Call in! The number and other details are at the anniversary site.

The Radio Talking Book Service has requested another four weeks of Suspense episodes and discussion. The two sessions that have been streamed so far have had very positive and higher volume of response, leading to this request. Details are at the anniversary site. This weekend's offering is at 11pm Saturday and is repeated at 10pm Sunday. The episodes are A Week Ago Wednesday and Death on My Hands.

This episode was last posted about two years ago. It is in circulation with hum, other background noise, and something that I can best describe as a high frequency whistle. It also has some digital artifacts. A few weeks ago I got a copy that was closer to the original source with the same defects but to a lesser extent. It took about four different strategies to deal with all the problems. It was like the game "whack a mole" where you deal with one problem and the others got worse or new issues are created. Finally, a workable combination of strategies came about through the trial and error process. I checked carefully for digital artifacts to be sure they did not get worse; they're not, but sometimes the lack of background noise can make such things a little more evident in certain places. Overall, this recording is considerably better, but it would be nicer if a naturally better copy did emerge. I have not found one yet in the numerous reels that are passing through here now. The late 1950s recordings of the series may not offer such a possibility as you keep finding the same exact aircheck everywhere, sometimes worse. Let's hope something better comes through one day.

Suspense_1958-11-23_MyDearNiece_wLeePatrick UPGRADE-3.mp3

The original story presented in this next episode was by Eleazar Lipsky, indicating it was originally used on Indictment.

This is another one of those drama only recordings. It sounds much better than the other versions in circulation. I'm still suspicious that it comes from a production tape that had not gotten its "wrappers" in final editing. It is a more satisfying listening experience, for sure.

This title was used twice in the series. This episode is where a model marries an ex-con, and on 1947-02-06 the title was used in a story where a car salesman falls in love with a wealthy man's wife... and then it gets complicated.

Suspense_1960-01-31_EndOfTheRoad_wBernardGrant NO OP CL, EXCL SOUND.mp3

In addition to today's recordings, this WeTransfer link has an AFRS recording of My Dear Niece and two other recordings of End of the Road that are more complete than today's postings, but are lesser quality sound.

No new newspaper clips are available for either episode.

Believe it or not, we are finally getting near the end of this big batch of upgrades. They'll take us to the end of the month. We'll jump over to The Whistler around the US Independence Day holiday.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, shadowsmom, otrhead, Rearle1, chasedad and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 6/17/2022, 8:14 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/18/2022, 6:05 am

Three episodes today from 1960. These are mild upgrades, which means that two of them in low quality are still low quality and "less bad." Hate when that happens. We'll take upgrades to "less bad" when we must.

This one was last upgraded two years ago. We recently got access to script covers of these 1960 episodes. Even then, there were lots of cast changes prior to the recording sessions. Dr Siddons was planned to be played by Richard Kendrick and replaced by Les Damon; Captain was planned to be played by Al Hodge (a former Green Hornet), then Les Damon (a former Falcon), but finally by John Larkin.

Suspense Upgrades - Page 20 1960-075

The George Bamber script was used again on Theater Five 1965-07-26 as In Absence of All Intelligent Life

Suspense_1960-07-10_ReportFromADeadPlanet_wBillMason UPGRADE-4.mp3

This next one was last upgraded three years ago. It often circulates with "repaired" open that is inconsistent with the time it was broadcast. The upcoming episode is announced as "A Grave is for Sleeping," but there was never a script broadcast with that name. We have no clue if the script was abandoned or renamed. The script used in the following week was Rakofsky's Rubles.

Suspense_1960-09-04_A_Rest_for_Emily (removed patched open) STILL LQ UPGRADE-3.mp3

This was last upgraded ten years ago.
Suspense_1960-10-09_Witness_for_Death_wWilliamRedfield NETWORK LQ sound change @7m50s.mp3

These three episodes and an AFRS version of Witness for Death (which is not good, either) are at this WeTransfer address.

Jerry Haendiges re-posted This Was a Hero, a missing episode until he acquired an AFRS version in 2017 and broadcast it on his weekly program. He re-posted it on Facebook yesterday as part of the anniversary celebration. If you did not catch it when it was posted here, way back then, you can get it at the 80th anniversary page. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Suspense marathon run by Stay Tuned America is being re-run on YesterdayUSA Blue network. It starts on Saturday, June 18 at 7am Eastern time and runs to 7pm. Go to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and select the BLUE network; the stream is also available on the TuneIn app.

Then, ON BOTH YUSA Red and Blue, Keith Scott and I will be guests of Walden Hughes, and Larry and John Gassman starting at 7pm ET US. The call-in number to chat with us is (714) 545-2071.

Join us!

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, CRGibson, mjnunes84, bojim1, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, otrhead and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/19/2022, 3:48 am

Three episodes today

Ginger Jones stars in this episode. "Mrs. Les Damon" was a busy NY actor and was on Suspense fairly often in these late seasons.
Suspense_1960-10-23_NightMan_wGingerJones NETWORK with commls UPGRADE-2.mp3

Suspense_1961-07-16_TheManWhoKnewHowToHate_wLeonJanney NETWORK.mp3

This recording has a clipped open but has better overall sound.
Suspense_1961-07-23_StrangerWithMyFace_wBGrant (clipped open, better sound) UPGRADE-6.mp3

These three and...
- A good sounding Night Man without commercials
- Two Man Who Knew How to Hate: one is from the network feed that has the end of YTJD, the other is AFRTS
- An intact Stranger with My Face
are at WeTransfer [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No new newspaper clips.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, shadowsmom, otrhead, Rearle1, soorhands and Crunklydunks like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 6/20/2022, 5:00 am

This was last upgraded just a few months ago.
Suspense_1961-08-06_Bells_wBillLipton&RosemaryRice OPENING IS 'AndNowATale' UPGRADE-5.mp3

This version, without the news, was last updated four years ago.
Suspense_1961-08-20_MurderIsAMatterOfOpinion_wPMeader UPGRADE-5 NO NEWS.mp3

This is a "standalone" copy of No Hiding Place.
Suspense_1961-10-01_NoHidingPlace_wCBenson&GMatthews.mp3

In addition to these three recordings, this file at WeTransfer [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] includes these additional recordings
For some reason there is another version of Bells that has the opening "And now another tale..."
Murder is a Matter of Opinion has a version with the news that was last posted a few months ago.
There is a copy of No Hiding Place that begins with the end of YTJD and concludes with the news.

The introductions to the Suspense episode marathon at Stay Tuned America by Keith Scott and yours truly can be heard at
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or at
The complete marathon will be released as a podcast sometime in July.

Other anniversary items and news can be found at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Suspense upgrades will be on hiatus soon... The Whistler is next! This post explains some recent Whistler upgrades elsewhere and other news...

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, shadowsmom, lasombra, otrhead, Rearle1 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next