The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vera Lynn dead at 103

3 posters

Go down

Vera Lynn dead at 103 Empty Vera Lynn dead at 103

Post by artatoldotr 6/18/2020, 8:18 am

Dame Vera Lynn, the endearingly popular "Forces' Sweetheart" who serenaded British troops abroad during the Second World War, has died at 103.

During the war and long after, Lynn got crowds singing, smiling and crying with sentimental favourites such as "We'll Meet Again," and "The White Cliffs of Dover."

"The family are deeply saddened to announce the passing of one of Britain's best-loved entertainers at the age of 103," her family said in a statement. "Dame Vera Lynn, who lived in Ditchling, East Sussex, passed away earlier today, 18 June 2020, surrounded by her close family."

Lynn possessed a down-to-earth appeal, reminding servicemen of the ones they left behind.

"I was somebody that they could associate with," she once told The Associated Press. "I was an ordinary girl."

Tributes poured in from political leaders, entertainers and thousands of fans.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said her "charm and magical voice entranced and uplifted our country in some of our darkest hours. Her voice will live on to lift the hearts of generations to come."
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Vera Lynn dead at 103 Empty Re: Vera Lynn dead at 103

Post by mjnunes84 6/18/2020, 1:19 pm

I was so sad to hear this! She's always been one of my favorites, and I'm reading her autobiography right now.

RIP Dame Vera.

mjnunes84

Back to top Go down

Post by CompleteDayMan 6/18/2020, 5:40 pm

Yes, a very fine lady indeed. Her voice was rich and inspiring and I remember seeing her often when I was a youngster waaaaay back then. I think she appeared on one of Glenn Miller's shows when he and his AAF band aired shows on the Beeb.
CompleteDayMan
CompleteDayMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down