The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suspense Upgrades

+24
kdmarket
JeffStew11
DanTheChase
Crunklydunks
Larynxa
BobbyP
Rearle1
Harlow Wilcox
gathol
bojim1
soorhands
wich2
emruf7
jerry6
Seamus
JazzMan
mjnunes84
Kestanley
nickp57
chasedad
artatoldotr
greybelt
lasombra
otrhead
28 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Suspense Upgrades - Page 24 Empty Re: Suspense Upgrades

Post by greybelt 1/13/2023, 3:42 am

Sunday, January 15, 2023 starts daily posts of Suspense from the beginning of the series to its end. It will take two years and seven months. Hope you (and I!) can stay with it. I'm trying to create as big a backlog as possible so the daily posts can withstand any hiccups to the personal schedule.

Most all of the files will be FLACs with many upgrades. For those who prefer the convenience and size of mp3s, those will be there, too.

It will start with the failed 1940 audition... and the backstory of how it came to be and how a reformulated Suspense made it to the air.

Thank you to everyone who has made this project possible...

Other news... Thursday, January 26 starts the 10 weekly episodes of Suspense on the Good Old Days of Radio podcast. The website is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but I prefer listening on their YouTube page at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] We recorded all the intros and outros and show banter a couple of weeks ago.

2023-01-26 1942-11-10 Will You Make a Bet with Death?
2023-02-02 1945-05-31 August Heat
2023-02-09 1945-07-26 Fury and Sound
2023-02-16 1945-09-27 The Earth is Made of Glass
2023-02-23 1946-08-08 Dead Ernest
2023-03-02 1948-10-21 Give Me Liberty
2023-03-09 1949-03-10 Three O'Clock
2023-03-16 1950-11-16 On A Country Road
2023-03-23 1956-11-18 Long Night
2023-03-30 1956-12-16 Eyewitness

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

mjnunes84, bojim1, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, lasombra, wich2, Rearle1 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DanTheChase 1/13/2023, 6:46 am

Thanks, Greybelt! This series was a lot of fun to do, with your meticulous research, and some great back and forth between you and John Tefteller made for some great listening. Hope we can have you back soon!

DanTheChase

Wildcat44 and wich2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/15/2023, 8:33 am

GREETINGS ALL!

It's finally happening ... here are the basic details from the social media posts today...

The Suspense Project... a daily blogpost starting TODAY January 15, 2023

All of the surviving episodes of Suspense augmented by production history, episode analysis, and behind-the-scenes maneuvering, are detailed every day at...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The project will last until all of the episodes are posted; the postings will last for about two years and seven months, ending in the Summer of 2025.

Most all of the recordings will be available in lossless FLAC, selected from recordings assembled for 15+ years from numerous sources and selected for their overall sound quality and other characteristics. Numerous collectors and researchers have generously shared their collections and knowledge that have made this possible. Recently, Old Time Radio Researchers and associated groups, especially "Knights of the Turning Table," have worked to acquire the tape collections of some of the hobby's pioneer collectors. This has resulted in many new versions of recordings being found and significant upgrades to the recordings of episodes from the later years of the series. Thank you to everyone who has participated and continues to do so, diligently working to find discs and disc recordings and airchecks to restore these recordings with today's digital technologies.

Thank you especially to all of the collectors who have gone before us. Their hard work in the pre-digital age of recording is resulting in a superior and more complete collection than they could have ever imagined. This project, and all of the generous collectors who contribute to it today, stand on their strong shoulders.

New blogposts will be available every day at 5:00AM Eastern US time. Recordings will be available at the Internet Archive (link provided in each blogpost) on an individual page for each episode. The Internet Archive is supplied with FLAC recordings but also creates an MP3 file for use on various portable devices or any use that the listener finds convenient... OR an episode can be easily streamed on its page.

Today's post is about the failed 1940 Suspense pilot episode "The Lodger" with Alfred Hitchcock... who wasn't even there! It's a fascinating story.

Thanks to all here at Cobalt who have been making this possible. The big breakthrough this year has been the reel collections that OTRRPG has made it possible to bring Suspense to lossless file formats. Now we can finally bring it all together -- our hard work here identifying recordings, the history we share, and all the other things we do together here at this marvelous forum.

The files are posted at Internet Archive because I wanted a permanent place for them that would not be subject to the whims of the cloud storage business... or mine! There is an Archive page devoted to each episode. My desire is that the Archive page will have the blogpost text and the various scans of newspaper clippings and such for that particular episode.

From time to time, I will make "mini-sets" available here of FLAC and MP3 files. The first one will probably be from the beginning of the series to the end of the Summer 1942 series. The second will be the pre-Roma episodes.

I wish we could do this faster than 2.5+ years, but it's unlikely to happen. It is hard to believe how busy the hobby has become with the collectors involved in digitizing reel collections. We're finding some marvelous stuff in the process. We could use some help just organizing files and reconstituting the various series sets with higher quality sound and better file formats (some of the Dimension X / X Minus One we've been working on have been stunning, as have others).

I will keep posting on this thread every day with the blogpost link and other items that are being found in the process. PLEASE spread news about the Suspense Project ...  and please add your comments and suggestions here, as usual...

BTW -- the post about The Hitch-hiker has turned into one of those "I had no idea" kinds of things.

Here's a link to an article I found yesterday from Radio Life that is somewhat amusing and informative...
1943-12-12 Radio Life
This link to the PDF expires on Jan 22, 2023. (FYI I've been using transfer.pcloud.com instead of WeTransfer lately, and it's been quite good. pCloud allows 5GB uploads while WeTransfer allows 2GB)

I've been playing around with the free website palette.fm for working with b&w pictures. The picture in the article of the cast of Last Letter of Dr. Bronson 1943-07-27 is not very good. Note the severe discoloration of the paper.
Suspense Upgrades - Page 24 Test_p12

But here it is... in color...
Suspense Upgrades - Page 24 Test_p11

It still has defects but somehow it looks better in color. The site has a wide range of choices of color adjustment and is really easy to use. It's free for low res images. I've been using it for images in the blogposts here and there. It gives the posts a fresher look.

There is a picture in the article with Spier and Welles. The latter was always having fun with magic tricks and was doing a card trick with Spier for the photo. It mentions that Welles broke his ankle going into an echo chamber. My first thought was that it was likely the performance of Lazarus Walks 1943-10-19.

BUT... Welles was on Duffy's Tavern on 1943-10-12 -- and this is from a December 1943 newspaper profile of Florence Halop
Suspense Upgrades - Page 24 Welles10
The Welles appearance on Duffy's is not in circulation from what I can determine.

This means that the timing does not work out for it to be Lazarus Walks , the last of a four-week appearance of Welles on Suspense. These were the episodes...
1943-09-23 The Most Dangerous Game
1943-09-30 The Lost Special
1943-10-07 Philomel Cottage
1943-10-19 Lazarus Walks
I don't recall Philomel as having an echo effect. Is anyone familiar enough with these episodes to identify in which episode the injury occurred?

Then again, Welles... and Spier... and CBS publicity... could contrive the story behind it that was not exactly truthful. I can find no newspaper reports beyond what is in the Halop profile.

Ideas?

[Welles did break an ankle after falling down the stairs in a Citizen Kane scene. That was two years earlier. There are pictures online of him directing the movie from a wheelchair.]

Last edited by greybelt on 1/15/2023, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

mjnunes84, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Rearle1, chasedad and Crunklydunks like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 1/15/2023, 8:38 am

Dear Joe & gang -

As I wrote on the OTRR's FB page, you guys have done yeoman's work, no series is more deserving, and I'd bet that in the next world, there are many smiles from folks whose hard work you are getting back into audience's ears where it belongs.

Continued best,
- Craig

wich2

greybelt and bojim1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 1/15/2023, 11:08 am

Duffy's Tavern 1943-10-12 w Orson Wells  AFRS #22

kdmarket
kdmarket

Jim9, CRGibson, shadowsmom, duhar and Rearle1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/15/2023, 2:14 pm

THANKS -- it's funny -- I think that might have been one of the reel transfers I made from a really awful tape a while ago.

I can't find that line mentioned in the newspaper... perhaps it was edited out in the AFRS process. Did I miss it?

OR... could it have been the ankle broken in the Citizen Kane filming and Welles' appearance on Duffy's on 1941-03-15 ... which is not circulating

greybelt
greybelt

kdmarket likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/16/2023, 7:53 am

Today's episode is The Burning Court, the Suspense premiere from June 17, 1942

Episode background and other details are at

(Internet Archive seems to be doing maintenance this morning [1/16/23 9am ET] -- if the link does not work, check back to the site later)

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, wich2, chasedad and soorhands like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/17/2023, 5:44 am

Wet Saturday was performed a few times on Suspense . It was the second of the series broadcasts.

There's one Wet Saturday performance that we're still hoping to find -- with Boris Karloff
There's not really news, but someone has told me, and is insistent about it, that it does exist -- in disc form! -- and that it will be made available at some point. The discs seem to be packed away and are not accessible at this time. Hope it's true!

This project, which got rolling because of Cobalt (two or was it three server crashes ago?) has finally reached a major happy turning point. Yesterday I got into finishing up the files for early 1943. What a difference in sound than what we started with. It's hard to believe it all started when I bought the 17 CD set of Suspense in date order and vetted well for its time from OTRNow. The person who was running that was so very helpful. He's retired and just streaming programs -- the one I listen to now and then is "Crime Time" which is available on most streaming services.

We go from there to where we are now -- with virtually every broadcast to becoming available in lossless audio format in much better sound. In many cases, better than what the general hobby had back when I started collecting in the 1970s. I wish my hair had stayed around to enjoy this...

Folks have been helping to get the word out about the blogposts -- yesterday's Burning Court post broke 100 reads, which is a lot for OTR blogs for one day, and is running ahead of the first post about the Suspense audition but a small but surprising margin. I think the story about the audition is really interesting, so I hope more people see it.

TOP SECRET! The audio posts are being put up ahead of the blogposts. If you want to "jump ahead" of the line as a Cobaltian Insider, you can see the posts at The Internet Archive by searching for "The Suspense Project" [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] You can also access some of the 80th anniversary marathons and podcasts there.

I will post the Summer 1942 files for download as a pCloud link in a week or so.

If you have OTR friends who would like the Suspense blogposts, please let them know about it. There is a list of links on the blog page and one of them is to sign up for Cobalt Club. It would be great if we could get more people involved here. This Club has been so very extraordinary in getting so many of these projects done.

More stuff happening... A week from today the 10 podcasts about Suspense begin...

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, lasombra, Rearle1 and chasedad like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/18/2023, 7:41 am

Today's Suspense post is the partial recording of Philomel Cottage that was posted here a couple of months ago. But now you can grab it in FLAC. This one is an important episode in that it's the first episode that Spier was fully in charge since Vanda went into the service.

One of the websites that "inspired" this effort was Christine Miller's blog [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] She has not posted in a while. I sent her a note yesterday about how I'm still sending people there and grabbing some of her insights and such. She is well and she sends her best.

There was a good interchange on the OTRR FB page about the different names in the Burning Court cast credits and the original Carr story. It sent me back to a copy of the script that Don Ramlow was able to get from an archive. If you go to the Burning Court blogpost, the credits have been updated accordingly. Yes, the spellings in the script are different compared to the Carr story.

Sometimes scripters chose spellings or names because they would be more certain that the pronunciation would be correct. The most obvious example is all the scripts of The Big Story where the product name is always "Pell Mell" in the script when the actual product spelling was "Pall Mall."

Tomorrow is Cave of Ali Baba but Friday is the big unveiling of The Hitch-hiker which will be a big deal, at least in my mind.

Thanks again to everyone for your help. Please tell others you know in OTRdom about the Suspense blogposts. Friday's post may be one that gets more people on board, so that one might be a good one to pass around.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, Seamus, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, wich2 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 1/18/2023, 10:27 am

Joe & Co. -

- I've been thumping the tub in appropriate folders at worthy places like Nitrateville and the Classic Horror Film Board. I think names like Welles (and then Lugosi, and Zucco, and Lorre, and Karloff, etc.) coming around will grab even attention.

- In re: Names in Audio Drama. Yes, ease for actors, and clarity for listeners, factors in. (Remember, we don't have visual cues to help i.d.) When I wrote Quicksilver's original, GOOD FRIDAY, 1865, I was scrupulous about history; but I changed one "Parker" to a "Potter" - the script already had a more important "Parker," as well as a, "Porter" being heard. I did get one quibble from a Lincoln Man; but I stand by that slight bit of Dramatic License. (And the show, in general, has always gotten very gracious response.)

- Craig

P.S. - Join our REPS pod "OTR Trivia" game tonight!

wich2

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/19/2023, 6:58 am

"The Cave of Ali Baba" is today's Suspense episode. It's the first full program recording we have with William Spier in full command of the series. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It's a Lord Peter Wimsey mystery, adapted from a Dorothy L. Sayers story.

The script includes Ian Martin, one of the beloved guests at the early Friends of Old Time Radio Conventions. Martin's career was long and includes authoring many scripts, including Theater Five and CBSRMT. He's one of five actors to be in the Summer 1942 season of Suspense and the final broadcast season.

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT TOMORROW'S POST (Jan 20 '23) -- it will be about The Hitch-hiker and it has lots of "new" information that non-Cobaltians may find interesting and may lead them to (GASP!!) join us!

It will be a very good post to share with as many of your OTR acquaintances as possible. If you read it and agree, your help for this project would be greatly appreciated!

So far I'm a week ahead in the blogposts -- and since I'll be cooped up here with a cold today and likely tomorrow -- I hope to get further ahead in terms of creating a backlog. As I go through the research we've shared and have all had some part in, I'm still finding some new stuff here and there. It's really nice to see it all coalesce this way.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, Seamus, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, chasedad and soorhands like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 1/19/2023, 11:01 am

greybelt wrote:IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT TOMORROW'S POST (Jan 20 '23) -- it will be about The Hitch-hiker and it has lots of "new" information that non-Cobaltians may find interesting and may lead them to (GASP!!) join us! It will be a very good post to share with as many of your OTR acquaintances as possible. If you read it and agree, your help for this project would be greatly appreciated!

That's my hope! And here's a little something for the cause ~

Suspense Upgrades - Page 24 Newbur10

(Newburgh NY Daily News (9-2-1942)

Best,
- Craig

wich2

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/19/2023, 11:05 am

It is VERY hard to find newspaper listings of that broadcast -- more details about why tomorrow... The only listings I can find are NYC area -- and the NY Times did not have it.

It's an odd story worth telling...

It posts at 5AM US ET. Stay up all night waiting if you must Smile

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 1/19/2023, 11:09 am

greybelt wrote:It posts at 5AM US ET. Stay up all night waiting if you must Smile

Thanks, but ~

~ I was up till 1:00am this morning, with that West Coast REPS Trivia Show!

(And I can't pull repeated all-nighters like I could in my NYU days...)

- Craig

wich2

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/20/2023, 3:14 am

Below is the note that's been posted on various OTR social media about The Hitch-hiker. I have 3 of the 4 performances of the script on the Internet Archive page that's linked in the blogpost. This includes the rare first performance on Lady Esther Orson Welles Theater in 1941. It's only the drama portion, and it's not in the best sound, but it has been cleaned up. There's also the final broadcast on the 1946 Pabst-sponsored Mercury Summer Theater in upgraded sound.

The Hitch-hiker is one of those broadcasts that as I looked for information I ended up finding more paradoxes and curiosities as I kept digging.

There's lots of new information in the blogpost that has not been posted on this thread before. I think you'll enjoy it. Please pass it around to anyone you think will be interested. The blog has been getting good traffic, and I'm hoping this one creates a lot more interest. Cobalt has a link in a sidebar encouraging folks to join. Hope it works!

On Sunday or Monday I'll post a single link to a zip the new FLAC files that have been posted so far, and also the MP3s. This will be just the episodes for the 1942 Summer series.

As I mentioned previously, as a "Cobaltian Insider" you know the secret way to get access to the recordings before the blogs are posted by going to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I figured out the calendar... it looks like the last blogpost will be August 28, 2025 with the September 30, 1962 Devilstone. Seems far away, but as we know, the days are long and the years fly by...

The Hitch-hiker -- a beloved Suspense script that wasn't really one. Today's Suspense Project post explores the curiosities and paradoxes around this special broadcast that may have helped Suspense move from a Summer replacement series considered for cancellation to a spot in the CBS Fall schedule. This Lucille Fletcher script has an interesting history, and the Suspense broadcast may have had the smallest listening audience of the four times the script was performed! How did this famous script starring Welles end up being broadcast THREE TIMES on THREE DIFFERENT SERIES in just ELEVEN MONTHS? Why wasn't Welles' appearance promoted by CBS? What's the inside joke uttered by that punster Welles? It's all explored in today's post...

Please share this post about this legendary broadcast with your friends who are classic radio enthusiasts, but also Welles fans you may know, to help promote this special project about Suspense.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, wich2, Gordon Johansen and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 1/20/2023, 7:01 am

Great stuff, Joe.

This ep. really lives up to its rep; it's a bona fide classic of this series, of Welles' oeuvre ("a real Orson Welles story"), and of its genre.

And this series presentation format is, I think, a template for the Classic Radio Drama field going forward:

- Not piecemeal, but as complete as possible
- Not ragged, but is the best quality available
- Not held by individuals, but shared with all interested

Glad to be a part of this place, and of this work.

- Craig

wich2

Gordon Johansen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/21/2023, 4:17 am

Today's episode is The Kettler Method that re-uses an episode of The Shadow. The "mad scientist" theme of being spurned by jealous colleagues certainly sounds Shadowish!

Thank you to everyone who helped spread the news of The Hitch-hiker post -- it was the most read blogpost so far by a factor about 2x... and more people will be finding it this weekend, I'm sure.

The backlog is building... the next 10 days of blogposts are all queued up!

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, wich2, chad3006 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 1/21/2023, 8:18 am

I billboarded it heavily at the Classic Film Board, Wellesnet, and Nitrateville.

wich2

Back to top Go down

Post by mjnunes84 1/21/2023, 8:30 am

Thanks, greybelt! When I go to the blog post for the Kettler Method episode, the link there to archive.org is not working. I worked around it, but perhaps others visiting today's blog post are having the same problem.

mjnunes84

bojim1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/21/2023, 1:15 pm

The problem has been fixed -- the link in the blogpost was incorrect.

Why did it happen? P.E.B.C.A.K.!
Problem
Exists
Between
Chair
And
Keyboard

greybelt
greybelt

bojim1, kdmarket and lasombra like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/22/2023, 5:52 am

Today's Suspense episode is A Passage to Benares [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  

Here are 7-day pCloud links to the Summer 1942 recordings
FLAC

mp3

The links include The Hitch-hiker recordings that were done on other series

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, lasombra and chasedad like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/23/2023, 5:15 am

Today's episode is One Hundred in the Dark, which is NOT a meeting of the Cobaltia High Command in a movie theater. It's a jewelry robbery story. Stop making fun of titles.

This is the first "final" episode of Suspense. The series did not have an official renewal yet for the Fall 1942 season.

Let's figure this out.
1st final episode - this one
2nd final episode - sometime in May 1947 but the Peabody award got them to make 2 13-week renewals
3rd final episode - November 1947 when the renewals ran out
4th final episode - when the 60 min format ran out of gas and Auto-Lite was still in negotiations
5th final episode - June 1954 when Auto-Lite left, but CBS decided to do a sustainer under Macdonnell, then Ellis, then Robson.
6th final episode - November 1960 in the weekend after all the soap operas had their last week.
7th final episode - the dreaded date of September 30, 1962.

The series was probably in regular bureaucratic danger all of the times of network budget reviews after Auto-Lite left. I suspect it's at least 7 final episodes but there could have been some near-misses.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket and shadowsmom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/24/2023, 5:21 am

The text of today's episode announcement is as follows....

Today's Suspense episode is Lord of the Witch-Doctors, and marks an important date in Suspense history. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Suspense missed the official beginning of the Fall 1942 season but was finally renewed and set on its way for its 20-year network run with various challenges and bumps and interruptions along the way. Hoping for a big star to build publicity for the series, CBS hired well-known and very successful John Dickson Carr to supply scripts. The blogpost has background about the Carr story and his effect on the series, and why it ended. This is a very curious period for Suspense.

I'm going through all of the episodes, one by one, and updating the newspaper clippings and such. For the big deal they wanted to make over Suspense now that Carr was on the case AND they had a big star policy AND they were moving to Hollywood, the CBS publicity department does not seem to be mobilized with staff or budget. It's really hard to find good clips beyond "Suspense is on tonight."

It was wartime, and the war was still less than a year old, with workers leaving for the war effort and all companies of all sizes dealing with staffing challenges. But this makes it seem that because Suspense was a sustaining program that it would not get the full support and priority of the publicity departments.

One we know, The Doctor Prescribed Death featured Bela Lugosi. Bela was big at the time. By sheer luck in newspaper searches I found that the original title was "Boomerang." What? You're kidding. No, it was strange to me, too.

J. Donald Wilson had some scripts for Suspense and this was one of them. My guess is that Spier was the one who changed the name.

When Wilson, one of the co-creators of The Whistler, used the script for that series, he kept the title that was used on Suspense. The "Boomerang" title was used on The Whistler for a totally different plotline.

1943-02-02 Long Beach CA Independent
Suspense Upgrades - Page 24 1943-087

It just seems so bizarre.

(Isn't it funny how they refer to The Whistler as "long" when it was on the air less than a year?)

I feel bad, by the way, that we paid all this attention to Suspense for its 80th anniversary, and really not much was done for The Whistler. The series started a month before Suspense did. It's a much harder series to research because it was mainly on the Pacific network, and the brief times it was national or regional there was little publicity. (Still trying to get my arms around the HFC thing -- whoever thought that was a good fit between advertiser and program was probably fired at some point). Since there were no "stars" ("only" "radio people" whom we all so adore all these decades later) the star agents and studios had no compelling interest to get involved.

For right now, the "best" retrospective on the series is still the MANC presentation that Karl Schadow did with me back in 2019. Working with Karl was so incredible in what I learned. It's still up on YouTube [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   As we go through the various reel collections, we found a nice run of the Audio Arts syndication recordings that are in stunning sound. We're still sorting through it all -- there's lots of mis-dating in these old collections since they were stymied by lack of good logs and show history. But now we have those resources.

I realized I miscalculated the date the the Suspense blog will be all done with posts and recordings. Right now it stands at July 18, 2025. One of the best reasons for the calculation to be wrong will be to find some missing shows! Hope that happens!

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, kdmarket, shadowsmom, lasombra and chasedad like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/24/2023, 10:12 am

MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE SUSPENSE PODCASTS STARTING ON THURSDAY

For the next 10 Thursdays, I am a guest of Golden Days of Radio host John Tefteller. He and his producer, Daniel Chase, have selected 10 episodes they enjoy... including a couple of my suggestions. We discuss the history of the series and that episode, you hear the episode in marvelous sound, and then we wrap up with some closing comments.

The podcast webpage is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
You can click on "episodes" on the home page of the website and select podcasts individually
The podcasts are also on their YouTube page [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you subscribe to podcasts, just click the subscribe button at the top of the home page of their website and select your favorite podcast service from Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Tune-In Radio, iHeartRadio, Player.fm, Podchaser, Listen-Notes, Deezer, Stitcher, and Podcast Addict

Be sure to check the podcast notes for links to items we discuss -- in YouTube, the notes are included in the video description. There are lots of great resources for further enjoyment and exploration.

The first podcast runs a little over an hour, and the others are 45-50 minutes. That time includes the Suspense episodes which are 30 minutes. Each podcast is released on Thursdays at 3am ET.

Here is a list of the upcoming podcasts and the programs being played.
2023-01-26 1942-11-10 Will You Make a Bet with Death? (a crazy uncle bets his nephew $25k that he can't escape the uncle's attempts to kill him for six months)
2023-02-02 1945-05-31 August Heat (an artist's portrait subject predicts the artist's death - excellent performance by Ronald Colman)
2023-02-09 1945-07-26 Fury and Sound (the wildest and craziest Suspense episode ever with an amazing history)
2023-02-16 1945-09-27 The Earth is Made of Glass (a man is obsessed about committing the perfect murder and figuring out if karma exists)
2023-02-23 1946-08-08 Dead Ernest (the classic and beloved broadcast about a cataleptic man who ends up on the autopsy table -- marvelous roller-coaster of a script, with an amusing ending)
2023-03-02 1948-10-21 Give Me Liberty (a prisoner escapes from a train wreck but can't get out of his handcuffs)
2023-03-09 1949-03-10 Three O'Clock (one of the greatest acting performances on radio by film star Van Heflin and a great script; this is my favorite Suspense broadcast ever)
2023-03-16 1950-11-16 On A Country Road (superb one-hit-wonder script written by a Columbia U journalism student who became a well known newspaper reporter in the 1950s)
2023-03-23 1956-11-18 Long Night (excellent performance by Frank Lovejoy and a haunting script about a private pilot in trouble from the perspective of the control tower)
2023-03-30 1956-12-16 Eyewitness (Howard Duff's return to radio after being blacklisted at CBS... the backstory of Duff and CBS is really interesting. Duff gets them in the end...)
ENJOY!

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket and chasedad like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/25/2023, 4:24 am

Below is the blogpost information as I have posted today... with some extra notes for us Cobaltians...

Today's Suspense episode is Devil in the Summer House, with Martin Gabel. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
John Dickson Carr was a re-user of scripts, with this one from a 1940 BBC production. Oh, what Carr could have accomplished with word processing software and "search and replace" Smile  Some of these early Suspense scripts would be used on the BBC series Appointment with Fear (unfortunately few exist from this era). He even reused Suspense scripts on the 1948 Cabin B13 series because he could not keep up with the weekly script deadlines. Gabel was married to actress Arlene Francis, a regular on the game show "What's My Line?" He was a member of Orson Welles' Mercury Theater. Welles and Mercury Theater casts play a major part in Suspense history through its casts, production style, and series concept under William Spier. Where "the summer house" is today, according to the script clues, is actually a densely-populated commuter town in Westchester County, NY on the Hudson River. The area developed after the construction of the the Tappan Zee Bridge and the expansion of the commuter rail system. It's also near a little town called Sleepy Hollow... hmmm.... I've heard that name before... ENJOY!

Yesterday, I was reminded of the uphill battle we have in getting good information and good files into the hobby. On the FB page, someone decided to post a file that they thought was "good" but it turned out to be mis-dated and not in the sound quality that was purported to be. Yet again, someone mistakes file format for actual sound quality. It's like writing on a sheet of fine paper and claiming that because it's on fine paper that what was badly scrawled handwriting has suddenly become beautiful calligraphy.

Okay, so the file had the wrong date. But it wasn't taken down, nor was the file name corrected, etc. Now, fans who happily downloaded it and have no reason to go back to that thread have a mis-dated file in their collection with some significant flaws to it.

This is why I so look forward to finishing this project and am so grateful for so many Cobaltians and others who have so generously been assisting with files, information, and especially their advice and brainpower as we sort through all the questions about this series. Finally, Suspense will have the best sounding set possible in lossless file formats, properly labeled files, and in context of its history, and such marvelous stories from the back rooms and the hallways.

Took a day off from building up the backlog of the blogposts. I appreciate how so many of you got the word out about The Hitch-hiker post. It's about to break 400 reads, which is almost 50% equal of the total views of all the blogposts before it was posted.

The next "big" post will be for the first broadcast of SWN. I'll be asking for your help once more.

###

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, lasombra, Rearle1 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next