The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question about "special service stations" and "operational radio"

2 posters

Go down

A question about  "special service stations" and "operational radio" Empty A question about "special service stations" and "operational radio"

Post by pnussbaum 5/25/2019, 10:59 am

I wasn't quite sure where to post this question and decided this might be where to post it.
I am working on the D-Day chapter of my dissertation concerning history on the radio and on a CBS broadcast by William J. Dunn from Australia, he refers to "special service stations" as opposed to "operational radio." Here's the transcript excerpt:
“Like most of you folks back home, these men got their first news of the invasion by radio and for weeks to come their only word on the progress in Europe will come to them over the operational airwaves. Troops not engaged in combat will be well-informed. They’ll have their own radios tuned to the various special service stations day and night and they’ll keep steps with events as they happen. But the men who are actually facing the Japanese in the Shortland Islands or on the northern coast of Dutch New Guinea will have to rely pretty much on what meager news can be passed along to them over the busy circuits of the operational radio, passed to a few by radio and from these few to the rest by word of mouth."
In the context of the passage, I infer "special service stations" to be AFRS affiliates which might tap into shortwave broadcasts from the US and broadcast locally and "operational radio" to refer to radio used locally in official military operations. Does this make sense? Can anyone better explain the difference?
Many thanks, Cobalters. I couldn't get this project done without your help.

pnussbaum
pnussbaum

Back to top Go down

A question about  "special service stations" and "operational radio" Empty Re: A question about "special service stations" and "operational radio"

Post by jb_steele 5/30/2019, 3:06 am

I would think you're right about the matter. Maybe considering that the broadcast was from Australia, the listeners might not be familiar with AFRS by name
jb_steele
jb_steele

https://www.teapartycommunity.com/profile-163183/

Back to top Go down

A question about  "special service stations" and "operational radio" Empty Re: A question about "special service stations" and "operational radio"

Post by pnussbaum 5/30/2019, 11:09 am

Thanks for your reply, jb_steele.
pnussbaum
pnussbaum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down