The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sharing Shows from my collection

+32
William Hogan
Rearle1
pfmurphy
airlanes
scooper
ghemrats
Oday450
Space Cadet
artatoldotr
Tom-In-Ohio
Crunklydunks
duhar
kdmarket
mjnunes84
otrhead
Harlow Wilcox
soorhands
dlag
Seamus
Kestanley
bojim1
pnussbaum
Wildcat44
dbf
eliyahusimlevin
greybelt
nightkey
Radiodaze
Gordon Johansen
lasombra
BobbyP
toebig
36 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Sharing Shows from my collection - Page 3 Empty Re: Sharing Shows from my collection

Post by nightkey 7/1/2021, 12:51 pm

This is not in common circulation. If it exists it is squirreled away.

How did you determine the video is from that particular Mail Call?

Radiodaze wrote:Anyone have a recording of AFRS #75 Mail Call?  Hostess is Dorothy Lamour and Abbott and Costello perform "Who's on First." Circa January 26, 1944.  Lou says, "I don't give a damn."  Rather than the more commonly heard, "I don't give a darn." In reference to the shortstop of the famous comedy bit. Film footage exists [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
nightkey
nightkey

g87 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Sharing Shows from my collection - Page 3 Empty Re: Sharing Shows from my collection

Post by Radiodaze 7/1/2021, 2:26 pm

I looked at logs of GI Journal, Command Performance and Mail Call. The only show where Dorothy Lamour is the MC and has Abbott & Costello on the show is that Mail Call show. I'm curious to hear if the A&C routine on the actually distributed vinyl AFRS show matches the filmed footage. Or, if another version of their baseball routine was substituted. Early 1942 Command Performance episodes have performers saying the occasional 'damn' or 'hell.' This came to an end pretty early on. The practices of regular civilian network shows was adopted. Just wanted to hear if this 1944 show let this version of 'Who's on First' slip by, or they substituted a different version from an earlier Command Performance or GI Journal appearance.

Radiodaze

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 7/2/2021, 10:47 am

challenge - the answer is below. Don't look until you try
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dangerous Assignment xxxxxx Oslo, Norway

Escape 540603 An Ordinary Man

twenty six

Superman_470113_#1450

JungleJim_38-06-11_137-GhostOfJavaSea-epi13

toebig

Harlow Wilcox, Jim9, CRGibson, Seamus, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 7/2/2021, 2:15 pm

Got it! That was fun. 75 years ago today: Encore Theater 460702 Ep005 The Man In White

On duty as a customer-service rep for a car-rental company, I took a call from a driver who needed a tow. He was stranded on a busy highway, but he didn't know the make of the car he was driving. I asked again for a more detailed description beyond a "blue, four-door sedan."
"It's the one on fire," he replied.

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, Gordon Johansen, eliyahusimlevin and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 7/3/2021, 3:06 pm

I had to get the yard work done before it got too hot.

Carried-Out-Of-Hospital

Superman_470114_#1451

JungleJim_38-06-18_138-GhostOfJavaSea-epi14

Expectant Father 46 Audition Show

High Adventure 48-12- Flood Time, Ebb Time

toebig

Harlow Wilcox, Jim9, CRGibson, Seamus, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 7/3/2021, 6:21 pm

76 years ago today, a very timely broadcast! Bullocks Show 7-3-45 The Universe on Parade

Ten-year-old Tommy greeted his sister's boyfriend very enthusiastically, "That harmonica you gave me for my birthday is easily the best present I have ever had!"
"I'm glad you liked it," the boyfriend replies.
"Oh yeah! Mother gives me a quarter a day not to play it!"

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, kdmarket, pnussbaum, Gordon Johansen, eliyahusimlevin and toebig like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 7/4/2021, 10:11 am

It's Sunday, Have a Blessed day.
Happy Independence Day.

Quiz Kids 480704 ep420

Escape 480704 (45) A Tooth For Paul Revere (Harry Bartell)

Superman_470115_#1452

JungleJim_38-06-25_139-GhostOfJavaSea-epi15

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 7/4/2021, 1:29 pm

The Hehn and Falk reels that OTRR acquired and are now being transferred by many volunteers are allowing the group to get encodes of early OTR disc transfers and process them using today's tools. Some of the effort is appearing here at Cobalt in the Suspense Upgrades thread... numerous upgrades, especially to periods of the program that are hard to find in good-sounding quality.

The digitizing of these collections by the volunteers is allowing reviews of commonly circulating sets of recordings to get upgrades and reverification. One of the people working on this is Cobalt's own Geezer!

He is now going through Dimension X and advises...
It looks like we are missing the initial airing of The Green Hills Of Earth from 1950-06-10. All the versions I've found have the closings clipped, heavily edited, or just plain replaced with the closing from the 1950-12-24 airing (run time of around 25 minutes).

The Sabis book* tells us that at (his) present,  "Copies of this broadcast have not been heard and detailed information is not available as yet" If we knew for sure this second airing was just a replay of the original recording... For all I know the 25-minute show is actually the AFRS release with their ID cut.
Geezer's reference to the "Sabis book" is the marvelous self-published late 1970s book about NBC sci-fi, Adventures in Time and Space. Sabis had contact with NBC and the surviving writers, production personnel, and others in preparing his book.

Geezer's explanation about the long-circulating copy has a high probability of being correct. In the 1970s there were many collectors who did not like AFRS recordings and attempted to "restore" them to network format. There were also very collectors who would remove commercials from network recordings because reel-to-reel tape was expensive; by editing the programs down, they could fit more onto a tape.

I have never found a complete The Green Hills Of Earth episode from 1950-06-10, just the edited one. Does anyone have a different recording?

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Tom-In-Ohio, Gordon Johansen and g87 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 7/5/2021, 9:44 am

On our porch this morning was the prettiest completely blonde (species black bear) bear. Almost an albino. He was huge but well groomed (almost like a pet) and very friendly. We keep our sliding glass door to the porch open about six inches so Carolyn's feral cats can come and go. I started to shut that door since he was right there and he stuck his head in. I told him NO! It probably startled him. He looked up and I was able to shut the door. When I went to shut the door, my hand rested on his head for a second and his fur was not matted like most of the bears around here. Like I said, well groomed, The best looking bear I've ever seen.

Superman_470116_#1453

JungleJim_38-07-02_140-GhostOfJavaSea-epi16

Front Page Farrell 49-06-15 Man Who Knew Angles

Good News of 1939 39-05-11 #71 Myrna Loy-Robert Taylor

Hallmark Playhouse 1948-09-Cimarron

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 7/5/2021, 11:09 am

Just saw this film a couple of months ago, starring Van Heflin. 78 years ago today: Screen Guild Theater 43-07-05 (151) Tennessee Johnson, starring Gary Cooper:

Teacher: "Why are you late this morning?"
Student: "It’s my alarm clock. Everyone got up except me!"
Teacher: "How did the alarm clock make you the only one not to get up?"
Student: "There are eight of us in my family and the alarm clock was only set for seven."

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, Gordon Johansen, eliyahusimlevin and toebig like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BobbyP 7/5/2021, 12:56 pm

toebig wrote:

Good News of 1939 39-05-11 #71 Myrna Loy-Robert Taylor

This one should be dated 39-05-04. The guest on May 11 was Ed Sullivan.
BobbyP
BobbyP

Jim9, kdmarket, shadowsmom and Gordon Johansen like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 7/6/2021, 10:13 am

I hope you all had a wonderful, blessed, and safe holiday weekend.

Superman_470117_#1454

JungleJim_38-07-09_141-GhostOfJavaSea-epi17

Counterspy - 501224 The Case Of The Pretty Plant

Top Secret - 500806 Disaster In London

A Voice in the Night 46-08-09 Beer Barrel Polka

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by nightkey 7/6/2021, 1:11 pm

This is from 48-09-09

toebig wrote:
Hallmark Playhouse 1948-09-Cimarron
nightkey
nightkey

Jim9, Gordon Johansen and toebig like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 7/6/2021, 1:18 pm

Gleason-Armstrong 31xxxx Ep001 Contract, Car And Long Trip Ahead

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, Gordon Johansen, eliyahusimlevin and Yankeegipper57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 7/7/2021, 11:06 am

I haven't seen "Blondie" that black bear since that first time. There was something on our porch last night though, I think it was a family of raccoons. They are cute, but mean and distructive.

Superman_470120_#1455

JungleJim_38-07-16_142-GhostOfJavaSea-epi18

Whisper Men, The - 451020 Black Light

Grand Marquee 47-09-18 Mexican Interlude

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 7/7/2021, 12:34 pm

79 years ago today: A Date With Judy 420707 Ep016 Baby Trouble

A six-year-old boy called his mother from his friend Charlie's house and confessed he had broken a lamp when he threw a football in their living room.
"But, Mom," he said, brightening, "you don't have to worry about buying another one. Charlie's mother said it was irreplaceable."

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, otrhead, Gordon Johansen and toebig like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 7/8/2021, 10:00 am

Ellery Queen xxxxxx The Three Frogs

Heart's Desire 47-04-07 Host Ben Alexander

Superman_470121_#1456

JungleJim_38-07-23_143-GhostOfJavaSea-epi19

Challenge

Answer

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by BobbyP 7/8/2021, 12:23 pm

toebig wrote:Ellery Queen xxxxxx The Three Frogs

This one is from April 29, 1948.
BobbyP
BobbyP

Jim9, CRGibson, kdmarket and toebig like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordon Johansen 7/8/2021, 10:33 pm

toebig wrote:I haven't seen "Blondie" that black bear since that first time. There was something on our porch last night though, I think it was a family of raccoons. They are cute, but mean and distructive.

There's one like that near a campground I visit occasionally except that she's a grizzly. A little small so I think  she is only three years old. I'll see if I can get a picture from a friend of mine who spotted her last weekend. He had an exciting day too as he went down some steps by his trailer and was about 18 ft from a big grizzly who was not in a good mood since she had been relocated out of the area several times already. After a false charge by her, he took his chances and ran for the trailer about 30 ft away. He loves bear watching but that was a little two close for comfort.

Later in the week he saw her and a male going at it. The male would finish and then she would pound at him until he started again.  It was at least an hour until she let him go. The funny thing was that he was the biggest Grizzly that they had ever spotted and she was huge at about 800 lbs too. I kidded him about being a voyeur and he admitted that they felt kind of funny about it but it was a once in a lifetime experience so they couldn't stop watching.

Gordon Johansen

lasombra, g87 and toebig like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 7/9/2021, 12:14 pm

Grand Marquee 47-06-12 Uncle Will and the Hot Dollar

Hallmark Playhouse 1948-11-04 My Friend Flicka

Superman_470122_#1457

JungleJim_38-07-30_144-GhostOfJavaSea-epi20

toebig

Harlow Wilcox, Jim9, CRGibson, Seamus, bojim1, RadioWisconsin, kdmarket and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 7/9/2021, 12:40 pm

Abroad with the Lockharts 01 Planning a trip to Europe

What's the difference between 16.5 feet and former New York Yankees' star Alex Rodriguez?
No difference at all, they're both "A Rod"!

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, Gordon Johansen, eliyahusimlevin and g87 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 7/11/2021, 10:04 am

It's Sunday, have a blessed day.

JungleJim_38-08-06_145-GhostOfJavaSea-epi21

Superman_470123_#1458

Blondie 49-10-27 Alexander's Pig

Arch Obler's Plays 45-08-08 Parade

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 7/11/2021, 11:41 am

70 years ago today: The Private Files of Rex Saunders 11 Concerning Travel (Murder As a Silent Companion) 7-11-51

Job Interviewer: "Where do you see yourself in five years?"
Me: "I would say my biggest weakness is listening."

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, otrhead and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by toebig 7/12/2021, 9:52 am

It's 5:30 in the morning and it's already 92 degrees, supposed to be 116 today. I can't wait. LOL

Are You A Genius 43-xx-xx Who Or What Is A Dolly afrs04

Big Story 49-12-14 Three Gold Coins Spell Death afrs22

Superman_470124_#1459

JungleJim_38-08-13_146-KarnakTheKiller-epi01

toebig

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 7/12/2021, 2:46 pm

71 years ago today: Halls Of Ivy 500712 Ep028 Education Of Annie Belle

Wikipedia: “I know everything.”
Google: “I have everything.”
Facebook: “I know everybody.”
Internet: “Without me you’re nothing.”
Electricity: “Keep talking, losers.”

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, Gordon Johansen, g87 and toebig like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next