The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format?

+13
dbf
duhar
eliyahusimlevin
patrickwinn
kdmarket
Buck Benny
pfmurphy
otrhead
mstevens90
Tom-In-Ohio
Space Cadet
JazzMan
keilj_33
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format?

Post by kdmarket 10/29/2017, 7:17 am

father knows best 54-03-04 spring cleaning AFRS 150.flac

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format?

Post by greybelt 10/29/2017, 8:52 am

Buck -- sent you a private message a while ago -- did you get it
-- Greybelt

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by mstevens90 10/30/2017, 12:27 am

Sorry do not have railroad in flac. I am starting with box 1 and working up to box 8.

mstevens90

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 10/30/2017, 7:26 am

jack benny 54-02-07 AFRS 367.flac

kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 10/31/2017, 7:06 am

lets pretend 54-07-17 jason and the golden fleece AFRS 328.flac

kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 11/1/2017, 7:13 am

my little margie AFRS 34.flac

kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 11/2/2017, 8:08 am

name that tune-first tune dixie AFRS 40.flac

kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 11/3/2017, 11:40 am

our miss brooks AFRS 162.flac

kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 11/4/2017, 7:51 am

twenty questions 54-03-03 first subjet bobby mcguire AFRS.flac

kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 11/5/2017, 8:45 am

your playhouse of favorites-the dusty drawer AFRS 24.flac

kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 11/11/2017, 12:35 am

Never let it be said I don't return favors.  Here is the very first episode of The RailRoad Hour in Flac format starring Gordon MacRae from the Radio Archives RailRoad hour CD Volume 3 and 4 are on sale 50% off $8.99! Here

Gordon MacRae's Railroad Hour 1948-10-04 (001) Good News

Tell me if you want me to post more of these.

Buck Benny

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 11/11/2017, 11:13 am

Thank you everyone for sharing these great Flac files!  Please keep sharing! I'm really looking for more shows of Al Jolson on Kraft from the 1947-1948 season from November of 1947 on.

Buck Benny

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 11/19/2017, 10:13 am

44-08-13 fitch bandwagon guest less brown & doris day AFRS #114.flac

44-10-03 burns and allen show gracie is determined to protect bill goodwin from a gold digger AFRS #50.flac

46-01-20 charlie mccarthy show guest rita hayworth AFRS#130.flac
kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 11/19/2017, 5:23 pm

What setting's should I be recording at? I've noticed a 45 minute show at Max 16 bit is just under 80 meg while a Max 24 bit is just under 224 meg. I can't hear any difference?

Buck Benny

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 11/20/2017, 10:05 am

If can't hear any difference don't worry
kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Does anyone collect OTR in the FLAC file format? - Page 2 Empty Railroad Hour FLAC

Post by patrickwinn 11/25/2017, 2:28 am

I definitely am interested in the Railroad Hour in FLAC!  Thanks.

patrickwinn

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 11/27/2017, 10:01 pm

patrickwinn wrote:I definitely am interested in the Railroad Hour in FLAC!  Thanks.
Great then here is the second episode of the series!

Gordon MacRae's Railroad Hour 1948-10-11 (002) Anything Goes

Buck Benny

Back to top Go down

Post by patrickwinn 11/28/2017, 1:16 am

Thanks much Buck!

patrickwinn

Back to top Go down

Post by mstevens90 12/3/2017, 10:41 pm

1 47-10-02-Kraft Music Hall (254)-Guest - Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy

2 47-10-09-Kraft Music Hall (255)-Guest - Lauritz Melchoir

mstevens90

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 12/4/2017, 11:48 am

Yeeesss!  I've been looking for the Kraft Music Hall with Al Jolson and Oscar Levant!  Keep going Mike!

Here is the next one that Mike already posted earlier.

47-10-16-Kraft Music Hall (256)-Guest - Bing Crosby

Buck Benny

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Benny 12/6/2017, 5:42 pm

Here is The Phil Harris and Alice Faye Show for Fitch Shampoo in Flac format.  Tell me if you want me to post more.

1948-02-08 A Date For Willie.flac

1948-02-15 Baby Plans.flac

Buck Benny

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg_Crisis 7/22/2018, 3:24 pm

keilj_33 wrote:The audio CDs in my collection were received in trades from collectors like Terry Salomonson, Ed Carr, Ted Davenport, and many others. Some were ripped fro CDs from Radio Spirits and Radio Archive.

You'd have to test the CD's too to make sure they weren't mp3-sourced.  I'm not suggesting that any of those named would have knowingly passed on anything bogus, but sometimes a CD will be copied in a chain from person to person and if nobody checks it they'll not know.  If your audio editor allows you to look at a waveform as a "spectral view" it's quite easy to see if something is mp3-sourced, and you can often even take a good guess at what bitrate it was with some degree of accuracy. (And you can also use the same method to see when mp3's have been re-encoded from 32 to higher.  Spoiler: There's a lot of those.)

Buck Benny wrote:What setting's should I be recording at?  I've noticed a 45 minute show at Max 16 bit is just under 80 meg while a Max 24 bit is just under 224 meg.  I can't hear any difference?

16 bit is quite sufficient.  I know people who encode at 24 and higher but I've found it unnecessary.

One tip when converting wav to flac is that if you make your flac mono rather than the default stereo it'll be half the size (obviously don't do this if it really is stereo!).  Most OTR is mono but a lot of files are stereo but with mono on both channels.  What I do is compare the left and the right (because occasionally one is better than the other, or if it's vinyl there may be more clicks in the left or the right), then I keep the good channel only and make my flac from that.

EDIT to add something else that came to me while I was watching TV:

Why flac is important...

Does a flac sound the same as an mp3.  Yes, sometimes.  But let me clarify... Will a flac (encoded from a wav file) sound the same as that *same* wav file encoded to an mp3 at a decent bitrate?  Yes, absolutely (especially as OTR by it's very nature doesn't have as wide a frequency range as a modern digital recording of, say, an orchestra).  Does a new flac that someone encoded from a disc/reel/tape source sound the same as the mp3 you already have?  No.  The new flac has it's full frequency range whereas the old mp3 is likely to be low bitrate and has been re-encoded an unknown number of times.

If you download an mp3 you have no idea how many times it's been re-encoded, messed about with, overzealously dehissed, etc.  You're wanting to hear a file in the best quality possible, but with an mp3 you have no way of knowing how degraded it is.

With flac (by examining it spectrally) you can tell if it's ever been encoded as an mp3.

That's why it's important.

So yes, flac is useful for new transfers from disc or tape, or for cd rips, but not for manipulations of existing mp3's

Egg_Crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/10/2019, 10:11 am

I've started getting into FLAC....I'll try to post some things now and then - this isn't rare but here are FLACs of I LOVE ADVENTURE...

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by eliyahusimlevin 1/10/2019, 11:12 am

Thanks dbf!
eliyahusimlevin
eliyahusimlevin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbf 1/10/2019, 1:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and here are FLACs of THE STAN FREBERG SHOW.... enjoy!

dbf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next