The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members and Copyright at The Cobalt Club

5 posters

Go down

Members and Copyright at The Cobalt Club Empty Members and Copyright at The Cobalt Club

Post by Space Cadet 3/30/2023, 8:26 pm

Hi Folk's,

I've pretty much made up my mind on this, but I'd like to hear any thoughts from members on this subject. You may have a better idea than me on this. And any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

We continue to have an issue with potentially copyrighted material being posted in the Swap Forum. I understand that mistakes can be made. But we've had material from the 70's and 80's posted recently. I caught one from the BBC as well. It seems that newer members are just trying to be generous and share. And that's what The Cobalt Club is all about. But all of these are well outside of our approved to post rules on the forum.

I'm going to be rather blunt here, for just a moment. The Cobalt Club is a free site. And it's a completely non-profit site. I put this board together years ago, when our previous server died and couldn't be recovered. I did that as a way to keep the group together. It was intended as a temporary site, until Seamus could get the "Official" site back up and running. But that was impossible, due to the nature of the server crash and changes in his life. So, Seamus and I decided to just make this the official site. That left me as the "owner" of the board. That left me as the person who would be the defendant, in any potential copyright violation suit. Any lawsuit for copyright infringement would be the death of The Cobalt Club. That's why we have such a strict and conservative policy on what's allowed to be shared here. And quite frankly, I hate any form of online piracy. I and therefore The Cobalt Club do now and will continue to respect all copyright laws.

OK, so much for the gloom and doom section of this post. I suspect that the issue is just members who join  and jump right in, without reading our posting guidelines. Maybe they don't notice them or maybe they're just eager to share. I don't want to punish people who are just trying to be generous or made a mistake. So, here's my thought on a solution. I have just changed the title of the copyright post in the Swap Forum to red. Hopefully this will make it more easily noticeable to new members. As soon as I can remember how to do so, I'll be sending a PM to all members of the club asking that they read the copyright post. And that they respect those criteria. Any thoughts on how we can improve beyond this action are welcome in this thread or through private message to me.

I don't want to ever have to resort to draconian measures. But if violations continue to occur, we'll have to become more proactive in protecting the club for our members. All of the management team want this to be a friendly and happy place to hang out, share and receive Old Time Radio goodness.

Space (Sorry, I got long-winded again)
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Location : Been put out to pasture, gone to seed or something like that

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

St_Jack, ghemrats, Doc_Shadows, Seamus and pnussbaum like this post

Back to top Go down

Members and Copyright at The Cobalt Club Empty Re: Members and Copyright at The Cobalt Club

Post by BobbyP 3/31/2023, 12:15 pm

Sounds reasonable. If there are any chronic copyright violators, maybe they should get bounced from the club, or at least have their posting rights suspended.
BobbyP
BobbyP

Space Cadet, ghemrats, Doc_Shadows and pnussbaum like this post

Back to top Go down

Members and Copyright at The Cobalt Club Empty Re: Members and Copyright at The Cobalt Club

Post by Space Cadet 3/31/2023, 2:10 pm

Hi Bobby, I agree. But it seems to be mistakes, rather than disregard for the rules. To me it feels more like members who jumped in without noticing the copyright rules. When members violate, I typically will send a notice that I've deleted their post and why I did so. Then direct them to the copyright post.

Since we opened here, I've never had to ban anyone for copyright violation. But we did have one who left in a huff, once they were informed that there are actually rules here. Then that person rejoined using a different email account and user name. But as goofy as I quite often seem, I do have a few viable skills and can spot when someone does that. But that's fine. Everyone's welcome, as long as they follow our few simple rules.

I will ban without warning, anyone who comes in spamming or flaming.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

ghemrats, Seamus and pnussbaum like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pnussbaum 3/31/2023, 2:51 pm

I agree with you, SC. I remember unintentionally stepping outside the lines once or twice but was reminded of the rules gently but firmly.
This club is a treasure that needs to be preserved and its rules respected.
Thanks for keeping it open and to everyone who contributes.
pnussbaum
pnussbaum

Space Cadet, ghemrats and Wildcat44 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 3/31/2023, 3:32 pm

pnussbaum wrote:I agree with you, SC. I remember unintentionally stepping outside the lines once or twice but was reminded of the rules gently but firmly.
This club is a treasure that needs to be preserved and its rules respected.
Thanks for keeping it open and to everyone who contributes.

We're all allegedly human and are subject to make mistakes. Any such mistakes will be addressed off-board. There's no reason to subject anyone to public embarrassment over an honest mistake. And no one should be left feeling humiliated over such a mistake, publicly or privately.

An unspoken rule here, is that I won't allow our members to be mistreated in any way. Most especially by our management group, which includes me. Fortunately, Seamus, ghemrats and greybelt are amazing people who I trust completely. All of them have taken care of situations and informed me after the fact in the past. And they acted correctly and appropriately in every situation.

Our members are an awesome group of people as well. This is without a doubt one of, if not the most trouble free boards I've ever been associated with. Friendly, generous, thoughtful and helpful.

Space
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

ghemrats, Seamus, pnussbaum and Wildcat44 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Seamus 3/31/2023, 9:14 pm

I am fully behind Space on this one. Remember the golden rule in the Cobalt Club is zero tolerance for people treating each other poorly. I have been at the CC with my fellow CC partners in crime for almost 30 years. Let that sink in. In that time we have a haven from a world of divisive nonsense. I can count on one hand people being rude mean or bullies. We handled it one warning then nuked. This is old time Radio folks a place to laugh listen, share and fun times.

We all look after each other and part of that is making sure we don't get sued. So be mindful and take two minutes to think about the fact we are one of the longest running OTR sites on the Internet. 30 years no flame wars, no rude behavior allowed. This place is special please appreciate that. Some of the nicest people I have ever met and talent by the bucket load have roamed these halls and some of my best friends ever I met here and some moved on to the big broadcast in the sky. Dear God Capt, loved this place, Mars, Stewart Wright, Omaha radio. First friends I ever lost I lost here. What a legacy this place has. You walk with legends here. Ghem and Space have kept this place rolling and a lot of life has happened to us all.

Stay safe my friends treat each other with thoughtfulness.
Seamus
Seamus
Admin

Space Cadet, ghemrats, pnussbaum and Wildcat44 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 3/31/2023, 9:50 pm

In my forty-two years of teaching literature and communication at the university, I doubt I've ever found a bigger or better lump in my throat than the one so capably lodged there by Seamus and Space in their most recent posts in and off-site.

Nor have I been more blessed to be brother-from-another-mother with these guys. Thirty years of comedy, joy, care and compassion, along with side trips to Niles Calder's cave of wonders and Mars's acerbic wit with Woody sharpening his rapier and Scout Binky feeding the L-7 Ranch--what a wondrous treat.

But the fostering of fun and lack of ego, the courtesy and family we have here cannot be understated; so rare.

So there's this story about an ant and elephant who engage in a torrid, tumultuous affair one evening. . . . Rolling over the next morning, the ant sees that his partner is feet-up dead: consumed with a lustful enthusiasm and unbridled happiness so great, the great animal's heart has given out. The ant face palms his head and moans, "Oh great, one night of passion and I have to spend the rest of my life digging a grave."

Cobalt embodies the love and none of the guilt. Long may she live.
With grateful thanks,
Jeff

ghemrats

Space Cadet, Seamus, pnussbaum and Wildcat44 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 4/1/2023, 11:15 pm

Silliness? Me??? Here, let me toss an elephant back at Ya.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

ghemrats, Seamus and kdmarket like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down