The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suspense Upgrades

+29
nickp57
emruf7
lasombra
kdmarket
dbf
Larynxa
Seamus
Crunklydunks
jerry6
greybelt
chasedad
Sagebrush.1
toebig
Tom-In-Ohio
mjnunes84
Harlow Wilcox
otrhead
Rearle1
keilj_33
Wildcat44
wich2
KO6BB
Dan Fielding
ghemrats
Space Cadet
mstevens90
Geezer
scooper
jb_steele
33 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 Empty Re: Suspense Upgrades

Post by greybelt 11/3/2019, 6:28 am

This day in Suspense history...
November 3
1942 The Devil in the Summer House
1949 The Search for Isabel
1952 Frankenstein
1957 Firing Run

Four episodes today, likely to delight completists. I know not every Cobaltian has that affliction, which is why I am posting these together in hopes of spreading the completist virus, but also to encourage everyone to check their Suspense collections that are not from this thread, especially older collections, even if they are low encode sets from the 1990s and early 2000s.

East and West broadcasts were done ONLY for the Roma Wines sponsored programs. Their sponsorship started in December 1943. The early Roma run is very easy -- just listen to the end of the program and if they say "next Thursday" it's East, and if they say "Monday" it's West. Exceptions are minor (they say "next week" in one broadcast but mention a specific day the other performance). That twice-a-week schedule ended toward the end of September 1944 when the full CBS network finally cleared a single national day when Suspense could be broadcast.

From that point, the most obvious way to identify them is if the recordings were made from the transcriptions and the information from the transcription label was included in the file name (or metadata tags) as to its broadcast geography. We have a few recording pairs where that is the case. Unfortunately, most recordings from this era are not so labeled.
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 Tn_sus10

The dramatic portions of the broadcasts are so much alike that they are hard to tell apart. Sometimes there's a little change in dialogue, but that's rare. There is one other very good clue, however, for part of the Roma sponsorship.

From August 23, 1945 through August 7, 1947, FBI in Peace and War followed Suspense in the East and Central time zones. For much of the Roma run, Suspense aired four hours later than the Eastern broadcast except in the summers. In all cases that I could find, FBIiP&W aired before Suspense on the West Coast. FBIiP&W would be heard after Suspense in the East and Central (and possibly Mountain, but that time zone always seems to be mysteriously inconsistent). Many Suspense broadcasts, if there was still time in the program, urged listeners to stay tuned for FBIiP&W. Hearing this indicates that this was an East broadcast, definitively. If there is no mention, it can be either East or West, because the announcement could be left out if the director believed time was running out. A list of the surviving East recordings that mention FBIiP&W in the closing announcements is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My spot check of newspaper timetables for the NY Times and the LA Times is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[Quirky Suspense: The 1947-07-24 East Coast broadcast of Murder by a Expert teases FBIiP&W, even though it was on summer hiatus! The program that replaced it that year was Rooftops of the City.]

There is another clue when there is no FBIiP&W announcement. While the dramas might be almost perfectly similar, the pacing of other aspects of the recording may not be. We have identified the broadcast geography of many recordings based on how announcements like "This is the Columbia Broadcasting System" are timed after the final announcement, or the pace of the announcements, or the flub in the 1946-12-16 East Coast version of Philomel Cottage (where Bill Johnstone mistakenly says "Alexander Hitchcock" when the script read "Alfred Hitchcock," but the West Coast performance is fine). Sometimes the announcer is silent for up to 10 seconds while the Suspense theme plays on one recording, while on the other it is 0 seconds. Sometimes there is a change in inflection because of the pace change.

The details of the East and West recordings and how many we have and don't have are stored in an online spreadsheet at
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
In the date column, a black cell with white text indicates we have both East and West recordings and they are identified. A grey cell means we have two recordings but there are no in-program markers that I could detect to say which was which, but we know they are different.

Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 Sample10

I could have missed something, so I would appreciate the auditing arm of Cobaltia to offer some scrutiny here.

It is possible that not all West Coast recordings were recorded; or that the East Coast recording was defective in some way, such as a cracked disc. It is possible only one of the broadcasts survived. Perhaps one of the copies was stored in another CBS office and was never returned. It is possible that some East or West programs were never transferred to tape or digital recordings. We have what we have! Just like when someone asks me "why do we want an AFRS recording when we already have a network one?", the same sentiment occurs in this circumstance: "why do we want a West Coast recording when we already have an East Coast one?" (and vice versa). I understand it, especially if you have a pile of discs of other script performances waiting to be transferred. The priorities of those hobby recordists would be mine, too, and I encourage the strategy if the same happened today. These are different times. We are 40+ years after most of the discs were transferred, and we don't know what was recorded by hobbyists and preservationists and what wasn't, so we look and look, hoping we find more recordings to make E/W pairs because they offer clues into Suspense history as well as early collecting. And then another question: if there's an AFRS recording, which one did they use? The early Roma shows seemed to use the Thursday recordings (East) and not the Monday ones (West). We may never know if there was a specific policy for the single-day Romas to be put through the AFRS editing, such as choosing the "best" performance or if they selected the Thursday performance because it was the first one available.

Over the years, some of these East and West recordings have fallen out of circulation. Some are being re-discovered in reel collections of the 1960s and 1970s that belonged to some of the hobby's earliest collectors. Many later reel collections of the 1980s were digitized, as mentioned earlier, but even many of their recordings have fallen out of circulation, so there may be some discoveries in there, too. Since Suspense was one of the most-recorded series, it has airchecks, home recordings, copies of network feeds by individual stations so they could broadcast Suspense at a different time, private recordings by advertisers and agencies, and private recordings of actors and production personnel. Not all series had this variety of sources that resulted in such a remarkable preservation.

Again, I want to express my gratitude to all of the Cobaltians and others who have helped and encouraged this project -- if you're looking to get involved in this aspect, your assistance is greatly appreciated. Please contact me, even if you don't have recordings of your own to review. I have various files that I can supply for your evaluation.

Here are today's recordings! (I'm providing double links -- please let me know if the pCloud links are working, and also if the hubiC experience is better than it was when we stopped using it a year or so ago).

The first three of the four recordings were not in the master collection. The fourth is a nice upgrade to one we already had.

We have two recordings of this broadcast, but don't know which is which. This is one of the least liked Suspense episodes (I'm not fully certain why). But now it can be disliked on both coasts.
Suspense_1945-09-20_LibraryBook_wMyrnaLoy DELAYED CLOSE.mp3

1945-09-20 Indianapolis IN News
(love the now obsolete spelling of "clue" here)
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1945-044

Note how in the same newspaper that the FBI in Peace and War
follows Suspense in this time zone.
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1945-045

We have two recordings of this broadcast, but don't know which is which. We just know there's quiet time before the announced final close, and in this one, there is no pause and it flows with the final announcements.
Suspense_1946-10-24_DameFortune_wSusanHayward NO DELAY IN CLOSING.mp3

We now have both recordings of this episode, and they are identified.
Suspense_1946-12-12_CallMePatrice_wSusanPeters WC (no mention of FBIiP&W at close).mp3

1946-12-12 N Hollywood CA Valley Times
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1946-120

In this west coast paper, FBIiP&W precedes Suspense
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1946-121

1946-12-12 Rock Island IL Argus
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1946-122

1946-12-12 Scranton PA Times-Tribune
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1946-123

1946-12-12 St Louis Mo Post-Dispatch
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1946-124

This is a nice upgrade to the West Coast recording that we previously posted. Both recordings have been identified.
Suspense_1947-05-15_Death_At_Live_Oak_wRobertMitchum WC UPGRADE (Cresta Blanca at end).mp3

Last edited by greybelt on 11/3/2019, 9:42 pm; edited 18 times in total

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/3/2019, 10:15 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlow Wilcox 11/3/2019, 7:32 pm

Thank you greybelt!
Harlow Wilcox
Harlow Wilcox

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/4/2019, 6:09 am

November 4
1948 Death Sentence
1954 The Last Letter of Dr Bronson
1956 The Signalman

Suspense_1946-11-21_Drive_In_wJudyGarland UPGRADE-2.mp3
OR

Who is this "Raymond E. Lewis" in the episode? It is Elliott, and it seems purposeful since it is announced this way at 10m12s and in her closing comments at about 27m45s. It could be that he was very busy on other programs Sunday at Parky's and also as Frankie Remley on Phil Harris and Alice Faye. We won't know, but since his name was being bandied about in comedies that this serious role might be confusing to listeners if they knew it was him. Suspense made such a big promotional deal about casting against type that Lewis' rising profile as a comedic actor that would somehow take away from the presence of Judy Garland in this program (sounds unlikely to me; I think the headline would have been "unknown actor, Raymond Lewis, co-stars with mega-star Judy Garland). Or... it could be contractual with other programs that he not get billing at this particular moment. Lewis jumped around networks and programs, used pseudonyms or his given name or would go uncredited that this would be unremarkable, except in this instance, when "Raymond," his brother's name, would be used in a prominent role.

Unfortunately there is no script in any of the archives that I am aware of that can give us an idea if this was a decision done in rehearsals or just before broadcast. Any Cobaltian insights into this particular usage would be appreciated. He's "Raymond Lewis" a month later, too, in Philomel Cottage.

The recently posted rehearsal of Drive-In is just the drama only, and does not include any of the announcements or Garland's closing comments where she thanks "Raymond Lewis" as she does in the broadcast. No clues there!

These past weeks I've been listening to interviews, public and private, done with Lewis. In the ones where the topic of acting comes up, he makes it very clear that he does not like doing it, despite his skill and success at it. He loved the producing, directing, and the writing much more. He did carve out an exception, however, for parts like Remley. He considered those parts to be great fun, and that's why he did them, and kept doing them. As his career developed, he acted less and less, and produced more and more, using the acting more selectively and when his presence would have greater impact. Just four years after this performance, he would become the producer of Suspense, and that would lead to even more productions such as Crime Classics, On Stage, Broadway Is My Beat, and others. At the time of this broadcast, Voyage of the Scarlet Queen was just six months away.

He left Suspense a few weeks after Auto-Lite's sponsorship ended. His comment in one of the private interviews was "I left because there was no future in sustained radio." Basically, as the ad dollars left, he was leaving, too, and he would have success in television. But his affection for radio never left.

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/4/2019, 12:11 pm

Thanks greybelt
Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by bojim1 11/5/2019, 3:12 am

Thanks!

bojim1

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/5/2019, 4:44 am

November 5
1951 The Trials of Thomas Shaw (a missing episode, but was later re-presented on 1955-11-15 as Once a Murderer)
1961 Till Death Do Us Part

This one's a nice upgrade!
Suspense_1947-11-06_Dream_Song_wHenryMorgan UPGRADE-2.mp3
OR

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/5/2019, 10:08 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlow Wilcox 11/5/2019, 12:26 pm

Thank you greybelt! I used Hubic to download. It seems to work fine. Smile
Harlow Wilcox
Harlow Wilcox

Back to top Go down

Post by nickp57 11/6/2019, 12:04 am

This is one of my favorite episodes of Suspense -- partially for sentimental reasons. Back in high school when everyone else was going to parties and talking to girls I was collecting old radio shows and making home movies with my buddies. One of my early cinematic efforts was turning Dream Song into a pretty terrible Hitchcock knock off. So good to hear it again with such great sound! Thanks greybelt.

nickp57

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/6/2019, 4:38 am

November 6
1947 Dream Song
1960 The Green Lorelei

Suspense_1950-03-16_Motive_for_Murder_wAlanLadd UPGRADE-4.mp3
OR

Newspaper clippings related to this episode were posted previously.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Just a heads up... this thread is on its 39th page. Forumotion has a limit on pages of 40. Then it locks the thread, and a new one needs to be started. It's not a big deal. If you get on this thread one morning and see something like that, just look for a new thread that day or a day after. This happened once before so now we're experts at this.
Smile

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlow Wilcox 11/6/2019, 9:29 am

Thank you for the shows greybelt and for the heads up on the thread.
Harlow Wilcox
Harlow Wilcox

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/6/2019, 9:38 am

Thanks greybelt
Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by bojim1 11/7/2019, 3:06 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

bojim1

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/7/2019, 3:47 am

November 7
1946 Easy Money

Suspense_1950-08-31_TrueReport_wPatO'Brien (1st ELewis producer) UPGRADE-3.mp3
OR

This first newspaper clipping is one of the few public affirmations that they were taping dramatic portions of Suspense for replay. Remember: Robson made a big deal about switching over to tape when he took over the show more than six years later, but it was already going on. On broadcast day, They would play the drama tape and add announcements and orchestra live because union contracts charged a higher rate for recorded music than they did for live performances. Robson's announcement in October 1956 was bluster, but he probably made sure there was one little element of truth to it so would be technically true. During the Lewis era, with the rise of television, it became more necessary to be flexible in terms of scheduling, to ensure that contracted actors could fit Suspense into their schedules. Tape played a critical role in that regard.

1950-08-30 Minneapolis MN Star Tribune
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1950-097

1950-08-30 Moline IL Dispatch
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1950-098

1950-08-31 Indianapolis IN News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1950-099

1950-08-31 Ottawa Evening Citizen
This is an an interesting profile of Elliott Lewis
(image is large; you will need to double-click or download it
to see it all in readable format)
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1950-101

1950-08-31 Latrobe PA Bulletin
Nice comments about the series, and oh... by the way...
there's a new Suspense season tonight...
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1950-102

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/7/2019, 10:04 am

Thanks greybelt
Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/8/2019, 4:06 am

November 8
1945 The Bet
1955 Report on the X-915
1958 Two for the Road
1959 The Last Trip

Another title change. At the end of the previous week's episode Fly by Night, it was announced that the next episode would be "Miss Bone." The name change didn't get to the newspapers on time.
Suspense_1950-10-05_Rose_Garden_wMiriamHopkins (orig title 'Miss Bone') UPGRADE-2.mp3
OR

1950-10-05 Ottawa ON Citizen
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1950-132

1950-10-08 Sioux City IA Journal
Seems like the newspaper used this item on wrong date!
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1950-133

1950-10-19 Honolulu HI Star-Bulletin
Since Hawaii received Suspense by delivery of transcriptions or tapes
for replay there about ten days later than the mainland, details about
the new broadcast title were known in time to have it accurately
included in station advertising.
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1950-134

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlow Wilcox 11/8/2019, 4:56 pm

Thank you greybelt!
Harlow Wilcox
Harlow Wilcox

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/8/2019, 11:05 pm

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by bojim1 11/9/2019, 2:16 am

Thanks!

bojim1

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/9/2019, 9:47 am

November 9
1943 Cabin B-13
1944 You Were Wonderful
1950 Blood on the Trumpet
1953 Needle in the Haystack

Suspense_1952-04-07_Remember_Me_wDanDuryea UPGRADE-2.mp3
OR

1952-04-06 Knoxville TN Journal
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1952-089

1952-04-06 St Louis Mo Globe-Democrat
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1952-090

1952-04-07 Syracuse NY Post-Standard
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1952-091

1952-04-07 Tampa FL Times
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 1952-092

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/9/2019, 11:55 am

Thanks greybelt
Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 11/11/2019, 1:20 am

Posts for Nov 10 & 11....

November 10
1942 Will You Make a Bet with Death
1949 The Murder of Aunt Delia
1952 The Frightened City
1957 The Pit and the Pendulum

Finally! A nice sounding copy of this episode!
Suspense_1952-05-19_FlightOfTheBumbleBee_wFredMacMurray UPGRADE-2.mp3
OR

November 11
1948 Muddy Track
1954 The Sure Thing
1956 Three Skeleton Key

For years, this episode has been circulating without its commercials. In recent years, we have known of an AFRTS version of this episode being available, but not circulating. Now that we have a network recording with all its commercials. Does that mean we had the AFRTS version all along (with its AFRTS announcement and closing music edited out)? Or was it an edited version of this network version? We may never know.
Suspense_1962-09-30_Devilstone_wChrisCary&NealFitzgerald NETWORK WITH COMMLS.mp3
OR

Is this what has been circulating all along?
Suspense Upgrades - Page 39 Tn_sus11

This was the final broadcast of Suspense... and that day was also the final broadcast of Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar. Jack Johnstone wrote both episodes, with Suspense credited to his pseudonym "Jonathan Bundy." So he's the nominee for the person who got to turn off the lights on what some refer to as "the day network radio drama died."

Despite this being the last official broadcast, both programs were fed as repeats to stations for a few years thereafter. Most all CBS affiliates ended their broadcasts of these series on that very day. But there are listings for Suspense in some radio timetables into 1964. YTJD, however, seems to have had a longer life, and newspaper timetable listings can be found in 1966. The number of stations retaining the programs dwindled from month to month until it finally disappeared from all of the CBS affiliates...

(Figuring out when Johnny Dollar finally ended was made difficult in newspaper data base searches because of retail stores, used car sales people, and a singer [possibly singers!], that used the name in their various enterprises in the mid-1960s.)

If you go to the Suspense research page listed below, the slides from the SPERDVAC presentation are available for download. The audio will be ready in a few days.

Last edited by greybelt on 11/11/2019, 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 11/11/2019, 9:46 am

Thanks greybelt
Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down