The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suspense Upgrades

+4
kdmarket
wich2
bojim1
greybelt
8 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Suspense Upgrades - Page 3 Empty Re: Suspense Upgrades

Post by greybelt 12/31/2023, 6:36 am

Today's Suspense episode is To Find Help with Gene Kelly and Ethel Barrymore. Frank Sinatra was originally scheduled for the lead role once again, but other commitments had his MGM musical partner and friend Kelly take the role. This Mel Dinelli script became a franchise for the writer, becoming a stage play on big stages, regional, and community theater, the movie Beware, My Lovely, and some TV productions. This was Ethel Barrymore's only Suspense appearance.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Posts are on a daily schedule and are released at 5AM Eastern US time. Please tell fellow classic radio enthusiasts about the blog.

I heard from researcher Keith Scott that the "elderly husband-wife team of Herb Rawlinson and Janet Scott whom I am sure worked together" may have have appeared on a Suspense episode in the early Spier years. Some of the cast information is missing for that time.

The other husband-wife team on Suspense New York productions was music supervisor Ethel Huber and writer/actor Harold Huber.

This blogpost has the list with many additions -- THANKS so much for your help and let me know if there are others that come to mind

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom and chasedad like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/1/2024, 11:11 am

Today's Suspense episode is The Too Perfect Alibi with Danny Kaye. It's a somewhat complex story by Martin Stern and adapted by pulp writer Ken Crossen. It relies a bit on knowing NY metro area geography and what 1940s cars were like. Kaye's character is jealous of a friend who is newly engaged to a young woman he has great desires for. It's a good story, but casual background listening won't catch a lot of the details. Enjoy!

There are pictures of the rehearsals for the episode from the April 1949 Radio Mirror. In that issue, the magazine announced its award for radio's best mystery. There are some curious comments about what happened in the studio that day.

It's worth a full read of the blogpost which has comments about geography, cars, side comments in the dialogue, and other items that will help enjoy this episode to the fullest.

Posts are on a daily schedule and are released at 5AM Eastern US time. Please tell fellow classic radio enthusiasts about the blog.

A happy and prosperous 2024 to everyone.

Thanks so much for your support of this Suspense effort, the transfer projects of the reels and discs that OTRR and others are doing. Join us if you can. Support us if you can't through the OTRR Purchasing Group or outright donations (there is a button at OTRR.org).

And thanks so very very much for your prayers, thoughts, encouragement of our 33-yr-old son and his wife as they deal with the endocarditis that started with an innocent dental cleaning on October 31. He has fully recovered from the brain aneurysm which was amazing surgery made possible by the latest medical imaging technologies. He has no vision loss, no memory issues, no personality changes, he's him. Stunning blessings. We saw him and his wife of 7 whole months on Christmas weekend and they are fine, and when their eyes meet they still have mutual sparkle despite all of these challenges. He finished his home infusions of antibiotics the other day, the picc line that made those possible has been removed, and now the next steps. The medical new year begins with the first of many cardiac-related appointments, and his official discharge from the care of the neurologists. His stamina has returned so quickly with his daily 4-mile walks that they wonder if his heart valve situation might be less on the dire side requiring replacement and perhaps have an option to repair it. The way to bet is the mechanical valve replacement, but the repair possibility is coming up around the pack as we get to the home stretch. One thing is certain - he will have lots of heart imaging these next weeks that will be shared across institutions and experts. Digital imaging modalities are shared securely over the cloud transcend geography and create access to the latest expertise. Despite all of the negative chaos that the world always seems to have, it is easy to lose sight what amazing things are now available as a matter of course every single day.

The blogpost for Death Sentence has been restored. I did some truly meaningless editing and suddenly it was approved. No clue why it was rejected. No clue why the fix worked.

Today I am writing up Three O'Clock, which as many of you know is my favorite Suspense episode and what I believe might be the series most astounding performance, and possibly that of the golden age. Someone mentioned to me that Johnny's Got His Gun with Cagney might be the only other performance that would share the same accolade of a drama with long monologues with wide ranges of emotions and contexts.

Happy New Year to everyone!

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, chasedad, Deckard and bwaldron like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 1/1/2024, 7:46 pm

greybelt wrote:And thanks so very very much for your prayers, thoughts, encouragement of our 33-yr-old son and his wife as they deal with the endocarditis that started with an innocent dental cleaning on October 31.

Prayers continue - thanks for the update. (Radio is dandy, but Reality trumps it.)

greybelt wrote:Today I am writing up Three O'Clock, which as many of you know is my favorite Suspense episode and what I believe might be the series most astounding performance, and possibly that of the golden age.

Well... I'm a Heflin fan, and he's terrific here. Bu there are other candidates for "Single Best Ever"! (I'm always leery of such a narrow award.)

greybelt wrote:Someone mentioned to me that Johnny's Got His Gun with Cagney might be the only other performance that would share the same accolade of a drama with long monologues with wide ranges of emotions and contexts.

Perceptive, that!  Suspense Upgrades - Page 3 1f609

Bless your new years, Joe & all.
- Craig

wich2

bojim1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/1/2024, 10:57 pm

ah yes, wich2, you're that special someone re the Johnny's Got His Gun... and I remember it as one of the earliest OTR recordings I got as a collector -- from the immortal Max Schmid! Thanks for reminding me of it

I'm taking my time writing up Three O'Clock as there are so many ways to figure out what's going on with the production and with Heflin's performance.

It's so fascinating to think that Moorehead in SWN is interacting with others but it is on a single timeline. Heflin is having internal dialogues in the present, full of emotion, and then does flashbacks that are matter of fact everyday conversations and then the ultimate flashback to childhood. Stunning writing and performance.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/2/2024, 6:56 am

Today's Suspense episode is If the Dead Could Talk and stars Dana Andrews. It's a Cornell Woolrich story that shows how romantic jealousy, lack of foresight, and circus trapeze artistry don't mix well. It's a good story and Andrews is excellent in it.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/3/2024, 7:37 am

Today's Suspense episode is Lucille Fletcher's The Thing in the Window, a repeat performance about a deceitful and strange way to get the apartment you want during a housing shortage. It's a fascinating story once you realize it's a hoax that's being perpetrated.

Actor Robert Montgomery, ex-producer and host of the ill-fated hour-long Suspense series, returns as if that misadventure never happened.

The script originally aired in 1946 with Joseph Cotten. He could make a line like "pass the butter" have a sinister undertone which makes his performance the preferred rendition of the two. The blogpost has links to that performance and script details.

This was not the script originally planned for Montgomery. Odd Man Out was originally scheduled, but the 1947 film was still in theaters. It is possible that permission from the studio was not available. It would not be produced on Suspense until 1952.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/4/2024, 9:33 am

Today's Suspense episode is Back Seat Driver and stars Jim and Marion Jordan in a script by Sally Thorson. The casting of Jim and Marion Jordan boosts the story's entertainment value. Fibber and Molly? A stowaway in their car? This is considered one of the most beloved Suspense episodes because of the of the Jordans. Jim seems more comfortable in his dramatic performance, while Marion sounds a bit tentative. Heavenly days! They get some goodwill and leeway for any rough spots because they’re Fibber and Molly, for goshsakes. Variety gave the episode a great review, "... they handled the assignment masterfully. It showed, once again, that comics can play it straight and that switch casting can put some spice into the radio diet." Enjoy the listening fun.

Sally Thorson was a radio veteran scripter, actor, and director in local productions in Chicago, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Two of her Whistler script productions have survived. But there was another side of Sally's career. She was in sales for radio production technology for Sonovox! The 1942 ad that featured her is in the blogpost.

This is another story where today's listeners have to be aware of how spacious seating was in cars in the 1940s. The stowaway idea would not work in the streamlined cars of today.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/5/2024, 11:29 am

Today's Suspense episode is John Collier's story with the "strange" Latin title De Mortuis, and stars Charles Laughton. It seems to start out as a clone of Back for Christmas, but it's not. This is an evil character who intends to intimidate his small town gossipy neighbors into silence.

The story is different, occasionally tedious, but it gets back on track. Listen closely to catch it all; it’s worth the effort. The story was adapted for Suspense by pulpwriter Ken Crossen.

Newspapers reported that producer Tony Leader had a long platform constructed to give the actors a better sense for scenes that involved stair climbing and descent and calling downstairs to Laughton's character. Leader said “the actors do a better job when I let them move around and make some of their own sound effects naturally.” Listen and decide if it made a difference! Wish there were photos or film of that!

The title is part of the phrase that translates "don't speak ill of the dead."

Confirmed yesterday that Drive-In with Nancy Kelly on 1945-01-11 is AFRS#86.

Was looking for the original Woolrich story They Call Me Patrice. It was published only once in Today's Woman magazine from April 1946. He built it into a novel, and then a movie. I couldn't find it anywhere, but luckily Karl Schadow was able to get a scan and a PDF.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 1/5/2024, 12:59 pm

[quote="greybelt"]
Leader said “the actors do a better job when I let them move around and make some of their own sound effects naturally.” Listen and decide if it made a difference!

They do.

It does.

In the earliest days of Quicksilver, we actually did one rehearsal on our feet, as if it were Stage or Film; then, when the actors are at mic, they have in their heads the story's spaces, where the characters are in it, etc.

And most of the best Audio actors I've known - both Classic Era vets, and Current - use their bodies when acting (of course, always taking the director's notes as to how the sound is reading on mic.) Because - is this a surprise? - the body is a wholistic instrument, and Position/Motion affects its Sounds.

Happy New Year,
- Craig

(Next up, God willing, Sherlock and more at REPS.)

wich2

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/6/2024, 10:22 am

Today's Suspense episode is Catch Me if You Can and stars Jane Wyman. It's an interesting Patricia McGerr story that has a twist in that we know who is murdered, we know who did it, but we don't know who the detective is! We only know the name "Rocky Rhodes" and don't know if it's a man or a woman or if the detective is working undercover under a different name or if the person is yet to arrive or arrived a while ago. The CBS publicity says that Wyman told “...Tony Leader some time ago that I’d like to play a really evil woman on Suspense.” She continued “and he fixed me up—but good.” Raymond Burr makes another Suspense appearance and the broadcast also includes Frank Lovejoy. Enjoy!

Suspense Upgrades - Page 3 Burr__10

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom and soorhands like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/7/2024, 8:37 am

Today's Suspense episode is an Agatha Christie story, Where There's a Will, with James Mason and Pamela Kellino. Gambling debts seem to start a lot of Suspense plotlines, and this is one of them. Mason’s character lives with his elderly frail widowed wealthy aunt and her house servant, played by Kellino. He’s piling up gambling debts, almost $700,000 in today's dollars. That makes it pretty clear where the story is headed. It just so happens the rich aunt can literally be scared to death, which should be as easy as hiding in a corner or behind a curtain, jumping out and shouting “boo!” That won’t happen. There’d be too much broadcast time left over! It's not the best Suspense offering but it's entertaining enough to hear one of Hollywood's popular couples of the time.

Of all blogposts to be pulled for violating community guidelines, the one for Back Seat Driver was taken down. There's never a reason, you just have to guess. Google Blogger's support staff must be back to strength as it was back up 15 minutes after I added a sentence of no value to it, just to show that it had changed since reported. Total time down, including when I was still sleeping, was just 90 minutes. How very strange.

When I was writing this episode up I had the idea of investigating how many married couples had appeared on Suspense. Some of you have valuable input for some obvious ones that I had missed. This is the link in case you missed it

It took a long time, but I finally wrote up the blogpost for Three O'Clock. Took me parts of three days. And thanks for your help, wich2! It appears on Tuesday. It's almost 3000 words!

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Rearle1 and chasedad like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/8/2024, 6:58 am

Today's Suspense episode is The Love Birds and stars Joan Fontaine. A husband and wife live a contradiction of a happy life to the outside but vastly different one in private. They don’t just dislike each other, they want to kill each other, and each is waiting for the right opportunity.

Between the sleeping pills or the poison, be attentive when listening because you don't know which nasty spouse will deliver on their threats. The ending is surprising, because their acrimony doesn’t end in a particular event.

It's veteran writer Shirl Hendryx' story, and adapted by Harold Swanton. He started writing for radio in the 1940s and is cited in RadioGoldindex for Suspense, Radio City Playhouse, and Under Arrest. He wrote for television and the stage in later years. At 94, he even wrote a short play for Smartphone Theatre in 2020! He passed away in December 2023, a few months before his hundredth birthday.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/9/2024, 7:21 am

Today's Suspense episode is Three O'Clock with Van Heflin. It may be one of the finest performances and productions of radio’s golden age. There is a marvelous convergence of a great Cornell Woolrich story, a superb actor, excellent effects, a terrific supporting cast, superior use of music to heighten the mood, the many (and quick) changes of scenes and timeline, innovative direction, and much more.

The blogpost has a significant amount of detail and analysis of each scene and Heflin's performance.
If you're hearing this episode for the first time, or if you're listening again, the information will enhance your enjoyment of the episode and Heflin's performance. Some listeners may want to read the blogpost prior to listening to get a heads-up about the subtle aspects of the production to listen for.

Finally, Three O'Clock is done. With the cast listing, my word processor says 3500+ words. Yikes!

Many thanks to Craig Wichman and Keith Scott for taking a look at it as it was being developed and making suggestions along the way.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, wich2, Rearle1 and chasedad like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 1/9/2024, 11:36 am

Salute, Joe!

I know this was a labor of love for you, and it was a pleasure to pitch in.

Happy New Year, all,
- Craig

P.S. - Please join Keith and I, along with Classic Radio stalwarts old and young from Ted Davenport to James Scully, for the return of Radio Enthusiasts Of Puget Sound's "Old Time Radio Quiz Show." (Or as I think of it, "Repspardy"!)

wich2

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/10/2024, 10:03 am

Today's Suspense episode is Murder Through the Looking Glass with Gregory Peck. It's an adaptation of the Craig Rice novel by pulp author Ken Crossen.

Peck plays a man who wakes up on an evening train to Philadelphia and is confused as to why he is there. He’s been having spells of forgetfulness, but this one is not like the others. He knows for certain that he’s Jeffrey Bruno, a mystery writer, but papers in his coat and in his wallet indicate he’s insurance seller John Blake. When he gets off the train, he spots a newspaper headline that Blake is wanted for the murder of a very wealthy client! Now what?

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, chasedad and soorhands like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/11/2024, 7:03 am

Today's Suspense episode is Dead Ernest with Pat O'Brien. This is the final performance of the famous script that played a big part in Suspense winning its Peabody Award. It’s a marvelous story that has you chuckling and squirming and riveted at different points of the performance.

While this performance is very good, it is somewhat disappointing that a big Hollywood star leads the cast. The script was originally rejected but reconsidered for broadcast back in Summer 1946. All of its performers were radio pros and not movie stars. It was so fitting that the day-in, day-out performers, not any of the movie luminaries, were the ones who brought home the Peabody. No offense against Mr. O'Brien, but it seemed out of place to not have this performance of one of the series beloved scripts in a big year for its listenership not give a nod to its special history and its ensemble cast. That history may not have been understood at that time, so it is easy for us, with the perspective of 75 years later, to make such judgments. Enjoy the show!

In researching yesterday's Murder Through the Looking Glass I learned that Craig Rice appeared on the Benny Goodman Show. One of the members of the OTRR FB page noted that he had a copy of the program. Here is the skit that she participated in with Victor Borge. He's written a detective script, and wants her input. The skit is about 9 minutes and is from the 1947-04-21 broadcast.
The link expires on Jan 18 2024.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, bojim1, kdmarket, Rearle1 and chasedad like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/12/2024, 7:33 am

Today's Suspense episode is You Can't Die Twice with Edward G. Robinson. He's a milkman who is mistakenly declared dead, because the person who stole his wallet was in a fatal accident. The only identification that person had was the stolen one. Robinson's character and his wife decide to take advantage of the situation and send him into hiding while she files to collect his life insurance. It seems so simple until they each become suspicious of the other's behavior and interests while he's away. The scheme isn't as easy as originally thought! Some of the script is played for chuckles as the day after broadcast is April Fool's Day. Robinson is entertaining as the husband who tries to play the loyal husband but whose expected windfall is easily scammed away from him and he's not so loyal after all. Schemers seem to be easy prey of other schemers!

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/13/2024, 7:31 am

Today's Suspense episode is Noose of Coincidence with Ronald Colman. He's a a wealthy London bookshop owner who meets a customer with the same name as he does. He predicts that Colman's character will meet a red-headed woman and marry her, which he has. He soon predicts that “he will be hanged by the neck until dead” on November 9th. It's a fun (but oh so very serious) story. At the end you learn the meaning of the title. (An overdone scuffle is part of the process to the conclusion of the story -- amusing to listen to -- must have been interesting to watch how they did it without cracking up at the microphones). It's a good episode.

Hans Conried returns to the series after a 13 month absence. He is so marvelous to hear. Knowing his beloved part as the uncle on TV's Danny Thomas Show, should this have been called "Tonoose of Coincidence"? (Sorry, could not resist).

IMPORTANT: Monday will be the last of the daily posts for a while, perhaps as long as three weeks. We will be assisting in our son's recovery from surgery. I am not able to process audio unless I have access to my desktop system. But I'll be writing upcoming blogposts in waiting rooms and during insomniac moments in hotels and such. Thanks so very much for your support.

Monday's post might be the best copy of The Copper Tea Strainer that has ever been available.

A few days ago I had a recording session for The Good Old Days of Radio . We recorded the open and closing comments for 10 Cornell Woolrich stories. Nine were Suspense episodes and the other was Escape's production of Papa Benjamin. They will start on Thursday, March 7 and then the next 9 Thursdays. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They've been running Escape episodes with commentary by Keith Scott that are worth listening to.

Tomorrow's post, Murder in Black and White with Edmund Gwenn, was from a short story co-authored by Jess Oppenheimer. He was the creative force behind I Love Lucy. I needed the assistance of son Gregg Oppenheimer for some background and we had a marvelous exchange of emails.

Last edited by greybelt on 1/13/2024, 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, lasombra, wich2 and chasedad like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Oday450 1/13/2024, 10:05 am

Thanks for all you do and share with us all. Prayers for your family as you work through these difficult times.
Oday450
Oday450

greybelt and bojim1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 1/13/2024, 1:13 pm

Joe, prayers have continued here, for your son and your family.

Keith-wise, it was great fun to play Radio Trivia (or as I call it, REPSpardy) again with him the other night! It's been archived, and I think folks would get a kick out of it ~

All best,
- Craig

wich2

greybelt and bojim1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/14/2024, 8:23 am

Today's Suspense episode is Murder in Black and White with Edmund Gwenn. (The show has a curious connection to I Love Lucy!). Gwenn acts and plans and speculations are very detailed and precise, carefully written his notebook. When everyone and circumstances around him insist his partner is still alive, his concocted world is turned upside down. He must retrace his notes, and steps, and return to the office to learn what happened.

The original short story was by Anne Wormser and Jess Oppenheimer. Yes, it's that Jess Oppenheimer, whose remarkable talents helped create the incredible I Love Lucy franchise not long after.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/15/2024, 8:56 am

There is an important announcement at the end of today's post.

Today's Suspense episode is The Copper Tea Strainer and features Betty Grable, film star and wartime pin-up sensation. Known for her insured legs ($1 million as a publicity stunt, $12.5 million in today's money), skeptics wondered “can she act?” Her performance defied those critics and she received positive reviews after broadcast, even from the always grumpy but highly esteemed syndicated columnist John Crosby.

Betty plays a photographer's model nagged by her sickly mother. Mom's attention-craving drives away potential suitors and hopes for long-term happiness and independence. This is Suspense, so there must be an evil plan to "take care of Mom" without legal and moral consequences. Mom enjoys tea in the morning… hmmmm... It’s a good story with a Whistler-esque conclusion.

The story is by Los Angeles Times police reporter John Q. Copeland (at the end they mis-announce him as "John T"). It's from a 1937 short story he wrote. This program has never circulated in very good sound. Learn the details about why at the blogpost. Today's recording is much improved and Grable's performance can be better enjoyed.

IMPORTANT: The project postings will be on hiatus until about March 1. I will be monitoring messages here now and then and will be writing and researching while things are paused. Please continue to tell fellow classic radio enthusiasts about the blog and the project. And please explore what's been posted already at the blogsite. March 1 will be here before we know it!

I made a correction to the adapter's name for Murder in Black and White. I had an image of the cover page and it's not "Eli David" but it's Elye Dovid. I still can't find any reference to it. Keith Scott wonders if it's a nom de plume of David Ellis. We may never know.

Yesterday I got up to drafting Death has a Shadow with Bob Hope. How dreadful. There's a difference between reading lines and acting. Why Hope was given a line like “her auburn hair gently suspended like someone spun fine silk around when a bullet went through that lovely head” is a mystery, and sounds so unnatural, especially from an inexperienced radio mystery performer. Ick! His Wikipedia profile has this line: “Hope had no faith in his skills as a dramatic actor.” This was an episode that had its casting for publicity purposes, but not performance. I listened to the episode way too many times these past three days, and I finally got the full grasp of the plotline. How blessed Suspense was to have so many great ensemble actors and spectacular music. Even they could not overcome this performance.

There will be no posts here or to the blog until March 1. But I'll pop in to check messages or when I find something interesting in the research. We start the hurry up and wait of hospital time at the end of this week. Our son will be having heart surgery then and we will be assisting him and his still newlywed wife as he recovers.

This copy of Copper Tea Strainer is much better than what's been circulating. The blogpost has many more details. Skip Craig, the collector to whom John Dunning dedicated Tune in Yesterday, helped get the recording into circulation. Skip and Keith Scott became great friends when Keith would come stateside from his native Australia to work at Jay Ward Productions where Skip was VP of production. I sent Keith a draft of the paragraph in the blogpost that said "the late collector Skip Craig" and Keith sent a FB message back and said "no! skip is still with us!" He's now 93. As Keith explains some of the history, and this is validated in all of the tape reels I have been working with these months in notes and contents sheets, there were two batches of Suspense discs. One, the legendary Pacific Pioneers of Broadcasting batch that was comprised of CBS transcriptions, most of which in great shape, and then everything else. The latter was from perhaps hundreds of different sources that were being hunted down one by one by 1970s collectors. Despite stories you hear about bad storage at PPB or other places (some discs were cracked from an earthquake!), they were stored better than other ones. Today's recording Copper Tea Strainer, was from a different source and was not stored well. And then there was another problem. The source that Skip Craig had for the program had a bad tape recorder that introduced some wow and flutter into the recording. It's not all that bad compared to one from the same source, The McKay College Basketball Scandal, where sometime after 26 minutes the wow and flutter is horrible (almost scary the first time you hear it!). One of the reasons I bring this up is the Carl Amari project with the Ziv discs. That's kind of a no-brainer -- pristine discs, no gaps -- wonderful. Suspense may have had only 1/3 of its recordings in one place. The rest were scattered and pieced back together by the dogged determination of our 1970s and 1980s pioneer collectors. It is stunning that we have so much of the series. It's a privilege to be working on this project and standing on their shoulders.

More about the legendary Skip Craig [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The interview of Carl Amari regarding the new Boston Blackie project is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] We had a good time doing it.

That's it from here for now.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/15/2024, 7:10 pm

SPERDVAC has posted the convention interview about Suspense with me and Keith Scott, hosted by Walden Hughes and Zach Eastman. Enjoy! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

greybelt
greybelt

bojim1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 1/20/2024, 6:11 pm

FYI our son's surgery went better than the expectations of two weeks ago would have allowed.

Still on hiatus, and attempting to get some writing done with breaks between hospital visits and waiting rooms. And then I ran into The Light Switch. I must have listened to this ten times, re-listening to sections again and again. It seems to be one of the sloppiest written Suspense episodes of the period. The end of the story relies on the detective wearing a gray coat, and then the husband comes home and can't find his gray coat. You're supposed to think that the detective has the husband's coat. But how did he get it? Or is it just happenstance that they had the same style and color of coat. But then why would the husband's be missing?

The transitions between flashback and current storyline are not demarcated well, either. Is it just me? Or is my mind just tired.

The episode might be better noted for hearing Wally Maher sing Smile

Comments appreciated.

Thanks so much for your prayers and thoughts and support over these weeks of our son's medical challenges. He's going to be fine after receiving some amazing minimally-invasive robotic heart surgery. The March 1 date for a blogpost return still seems right considering what's ahead.

greybelt
greybelt

kschriever, bojim1, shadowsmom, Rearle1, chasedad and bwaldron like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 1/20/2024, 7:31 pm

Glad to hear greybelt II's surgery went well.

lasombra

greybelt, bojim1 and Rearle1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next