The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suspense Upgrades

+33
bojim1
artatoldotr
emruf7
otrhead
BobbyP
Geezer
shadowsmom
hotmix99
Wildcat44
Buck Benny
kschriever
dobrydd
scooper
jerry6
Tom-In-Ohio
otrwashh
Oday450
mstevens90
old timer
spidey45
wich2
kdmarket
CRGibson
Seamus
HappyWanderer
nightkey
KO6BB
Space Cadet
hillfolk
DavidinBerkeley
Rosebud
floridanana3
Harlow Wilcox
37 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 Empty Re: Suspense Upgrades

Post by ghemrats 12/18/2017, 3:32 pm

I must be missing something, Greybelt--the file I downloaded from the "Two Sharp Knives" link was actually "Taming of the Beast" 45.03.29. Sad Suspect
Is it me?
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 12/18/2017, 3:41 pm

You are correct Ghemrats!
The link has been corrected in the original post and it is also here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks for the catch!!

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 12/18/2017, 5:04 pm

This is not my regular daily post -- just want to be sure of something.

I was sent this copy of "Short Order" and I think it's -- shall we be nice -- "repaired" by pasting another show's opening on it. Need to be sure my ears are not deceiving me Smile

This is all in my "completist" effort to find legitimate different copies of episodes.

SHOW I WAS SENT

MY OTHER COPY OF THE PROGRAM (posted here long ago)

"Short Order" was broadcast on 1945-08-16 and starred Joe Kearns. There are barely any references to it in the newspapers. That seems strange. I wonder if they could not get a movie star to do the part, and just went ahead anyway with the much talented Mr. K. Note the different Roma announcer, but Kearns does get to do some of his usual stuff. It could have been that all the regulars were on vacation.
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Cadet 12/18/2017, 6:45 pm

I miss that old RIT server too. Does anyone else remember the time that we brought RIT's network to it's knees, with the old FTP site? I thought we were gonna get kicked off campus, for that little escapade.

Space
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Admin

Location : Been put out to pasture, gone to seed or something like that

https://cobaltclubannex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 12/18/2017, 7:42 pm

I fondly remember the old days of the RIT site, but my mind is drifting, Dave. . . . I can feel it. . . . Would you like to hear. . . . a song I learned. . . . in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January, 1992. . . my instructor was Mr. Langley. . . alien

(Thanks, Greybelt, for the assist with the proper file)
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by otrhead 12/18/2017, 10:27 pm

Thanks Greybelt. It is a real pleasure listening to these high quality sounding shows.

otrhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezer 12/19/2017, 5:27 am

greybelt wrote:This is not my regular daily post -- just want to be sure of something.

I was sent this copy of "Short Order" and I think it's -- shall we be nice -- "repaired" by pasting another show's opening on it. Need to be sure my ears are not deceiving me Smile

This is all in my "completist" effort to find legitimate different copies of episodes.

SHOW I WAS SENT

MY OTHER COPY OF THE PROGRAM (posted here long ago)

"Short Order" was broadcast on 1945-08-16 and starred Joe Kearns. There are barely any references to it in the newspapers. That seems strange. I wonder if they could not get a movie star to do the part, and just went ahead anyway with the much talented Mr. K. Note the different Roma announcer, but Kearns does get to do some of his usual stuff. It could have been that all the regulars were on vacation.

No hearing problem here. The repairer didn't notice that the Roma announcer for this episode was Ted Meyers (SP??) so he (or she) added a Truman Bradley opener.

Am I the only one who finds Truman's manner of saying "wine" and "California" a bit odd? A fine announcer , but an unusual pronouncer
Geezer
Geezer

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 12/19/2017, 7:42 am

Geez! You're the best -- and thanks. I thought I heard a bad edit in there! As to Bradley, for all the training announcers got for diction and speaking with lack of accent (or "middle of the road" accent), they would still be selected for being distinctive from other announcers. I think in this case Bradley got the job because he sounded cultured and authoritative but not stuffy. And, he sounded different than the other announcer on the show, making the ad stick out more that it typically would. You've articulated what I felt all along but couldn't really put my finger on it.

As for the bad edit -- this does seem that this was an effort of some well-meaning collector to "fix" a recording.

Today, here's another one that could have ended up in that category.

This is my current copy of what is known as the fourth performance* of Sorry, Wrong Number of 1945-09-06. It is supplied here for comparison only. It's clearly an inferior recording. I posted it on CC about four years ago.

This new one, however, is better sound, but it has a clipped open and clipped end. It appears to be an aircheck of some kind.
Here's where I need Cobaltia's help... I believe this is another recording of what is known as the fourth performance. It's a much better sounding recording. Can someone help verify that it is really what it is? You know, by listening it it attentively and comparing it to the other?

The gratitude of Cobaltia awaits you Smile

Whether or not this is a true candidate for "restoration" or should be "restored" with patches from other recordings (or even the sub-par one) is another question. I don't mind restoration attempts if they are documented. Nowadays, that would mean noting it as such in the file name.

Nonetheless, this recording is more listenable than the other, despite its issues of completeness.

1945-08-26 Tampa Bay FL Times
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-048

1945-09-06 Indianapolis IN News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-047

1945-09-06 Minneapolis MN Star
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-012

* and now the explanatory note... This is actually a fifth performance because the period where Roma Wines sponsored the Thursday East and Monday West obviously had two separate performances on different days. The number of SWN actual performances has been undercounted, but the current numbering should probably be retained. To start renumbering would just confuse people. Better to document it than to start renumbering it from scratch. The best reason to keep the current numbering is because that's how the Suspense producers numbered it as noted in the newspaper clip above.

Last edited by greybelt on 12/19/2017, 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 12/19/2017, 9:55 am

Thanks everyone for all your help

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 12/19/2017, 3:44 pm

Man, I hate being a naysayer. . . .

Greybelt, I can't seem to access the "Sorry, Wrong Number" shows as I keep getting a "Not allowed" pop-up on both files. Is this just a joke because I'm trying to get "Sorry, Wrong Number"?

Just askin'.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 12/19/2017, 6:19 pm

Ghemrats--- it appears that HubiC servers are down at this time. I can't log in at this moment. I suggest trying in a few hours as they may be doing overnight maintenance (the servers are in France [actually in Remulac, and Baldar may be on duty])

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 12/20/2017, 5:28 am

The HubiC servers were having problems yesterday. They appear to be up again. But here are alternative links for yesterday's programs. Today's has both a HubiC and a sync.com link; use either one.

Sorry, Wrong Number #4

This is an alternative link for the current full version of the SWN episode. It's listenable, but not as good as we'd like.

This is an alternative link for the better sounding file that has the clipped open and end that appears to be an aircheck.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Summer Storm

Now today's recording -- I think this is an upgrade of the AFRS recording I have of this episode.
Suspense_1945-10-18_Summer_Storm_wHenryFonda AFRS POSS UPGRADE-3.mp3

1945-10-18 Indianapolis IN Star - Summer Storm

Note the mention about doing SWN again.
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-110

1945-10-18 Orlando FL Evening Star
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-111
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 12/20/2017, 10:09 am

Thanks again greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by ghemrats 12/20/2017, 2:39 pm

Yes, thanks, Greybelt, for being the consummate accommodator.
Jeff

ghemrats

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 12/21/2017, 7:57 am

Suspense_1945-11-08_TheBet_wLeeJCobb UPGRADE-3.mp3

1945-11-08 Indianapolis IN News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-112

Lee J. Cobb was on two covers of Suspense Magazine

even though he starred in an episode only once.
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 Lee_j_10
Cobb was not on This Was a Hero, Philip Terry was. TwaH was on Suspense in January 1946,
and the second issue of the magazine was published that fall.
So this does not seem to be a situation of changed casting
but an editorial mistake that someone should have caught easily.
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 12/21/2017, 9:32 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 12/22/2017, 6:28 am

Suspense_1945-11-15_Murder_Off_Key_wZacharyScott UPGRADE-3.mp3

1945-11-10 Harrisburg PA Telegraph
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-113
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 12/22/2017, 12:42 pm

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by jb_steele 12/23/2017, 12:29 am

Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 Zachar10
Zachary Scott
jb_steele
jb_steele

https://www.teapartycommunity.com/profile-163183/

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 12/23/2017, 5:51 am

Two programs today since the holiday will briefly disrupt the ability to post. Back to regular schedule on Christmas Day.

Suspense_1945-11-29_AWeekAgoWednesday_wNancyKelly UPGRADE-3.mp3

1945-11-21 Circleville OH Herald
For certain stars, it seems that there was publicity about them signing to appear. I suspect the agents of these actors may have been responsible. Being asked to be on Suspense must have been a big deal in Hollywood circles. Since some of the actors would be performing parts they were not usually known for, such as comedians in dramas, it was probably a way of showing their range that directors and casting agencies may not have known. This wasn't the case with Nancy Kelly, whose acting was well known from her childhood.
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-114

1945-11-27 Circleville OH Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-115

Nancy Kelly bio is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] She may have known Spier from the March of Time program, as he did Welles and Cotten when their careers were starting.

Suspense_1945-12-06_I_Wont_Take_a_Minute_wLeeBowman (Now the Roma Wine Co of Fresno CA presents).mp3

I have two other recordings of this program. One just has “Now, the Roma Wine Company presents...” with no mention of Fresno. The other is a KQW aircheck. That mentions Fresno. So the other recording may be the East Coast feed. There are some issues with that recording that I am still reviewing before I am sure that is the case.

Here's another case of the lead actor being changed; this time may have been at the last minute.

At the end of “A Week Ago Wednesday,” the star for the next program is announced to be Glenn Ford. Newspapers reported it that way, too.

1945-12-06 Circleville OH Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-116

1945-12-06 Indianapolis IN Star
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-117

... and there was even an ad...
1945-12-06 Minneapolis Star
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-110

But something must have happened between showtime and rehearsals where Ford became unavailable, and Lee Bowman stepped into the part. (What? No Joseph Cotten!?) Earlier in 1945, Bowman replaced Cary Grant in Sell Me Your Life. He was on Suspense twice in 1943 and twice in 1945. This performance was his last on the series. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It must have been fun to think you have all of your Hollywood stars in perfect alignment, and then have to scramble to change it. Not a single newspaper listing has Bowman in the part, so there was obviously not time to “alert the media.”

There is a very positive review of this episode at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] where he reminds us this is an adaptation of Woolrich’s 1940 short story Finger of Doom which was also done on Escape four years later.

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 12/23/2017, 11:33 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art

artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 12/24/2017, 9:15 pm

Suspense_1945-12-13_TheArgyleAlbum_wRobertTaylor UPGRADE-2.mp3

This was one of the four original Suspense scripts that were made into a motion picture. More on that below...

1945-12-11 Circleville OH Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-118

1945-12-13 Shreveport LA Times
This is a general station ad.
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-119

This is just the little Suspense portion of the ad
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-120

1945-12-13 Orlando FL Evening Star
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-121

Now, back to the movie... Four original Suspense scripts made it to the big screen. Sorry, Wrong Number, Cabin B-13 (as Dangerous Crossing), One Way Ride to Nowhere (as Last Crooked Mile), and Argyle Album. This was renamed "Argyle Secrets" which obviously sounds more mysterious. You can see it in all its blurry film noir goodness on YouTube.

The IMDb page is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here’s a review [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Wikipedia entry [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] says that the movie was shot in 8 days at a cost of $100,000! That’s $1,050,000 in today’s dollars. That’s cheap!

Some of the actors would become more familiar to us later in their careers. William Gargan stars (Barrie Craig!) and the film also includes two TV moms, Marjorie Lord (Make Room for Daddy) and Barbara Billingsley (Leave it to Beaver). And.... it also includes John Banner (Sgt. Schultz from Hogan’s Heroes). This was a B movie; I could not find a single newspaper ad for it that had it as the main feature.
greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jb_steele 12/25/2017, 2:22 am

Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 Robert11
Robert Taylor
jb_steele
jb_steele

https://www.teapartycommunity.com/profile-163183/

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 12/25/2017, 8:04 am

here's the download enjoy santa

The Argyle Secrets 1948-05-07

kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 12/25/2017, 11:15 am

Santa brings an extra helping of Suspense...
Suspense_1945-12-20_DoubleEntry_wKeenanWynn-HumeCronyn UPGRADE-2.mp3

1945-12-18 Circleville OH Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-122

1945-12-20 Indianapolis IN News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 25 1945-123

greybelt
greybelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next