The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sharing Shows from my collection

+24
scooper
Space Cadet
dbf
bobowers
ghemrats
timbabwe
William Hogan
pnussbaum
artatoldotr
shadowsmom
bojim1
toebig
soorhands
kdmarket
wich2
Wildcat44
Radiodaze
JeffStew11
Oday450
Gordon Johansen
otrhead
BobbyP
lasombra
greybelt
28 posters

Page 3 of 38 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20 ... 38  Next

Go down

Sharing Shows from my collection - Page 3 Empty Re: Sharing Shows from my collection

Post by lasombra 9/28/2022, 11:23 am

Electric Theater 11-21-48 Sobbin' Women

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was thrown out of the break room of my Walmart yesterday. They asked me what I was doing there. I told them I was on a break. They said you don't work here. I said I'd just finished using the self checkout so clearly I do.

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, otrhead and like this post

Back to top Go down

Sharing Shows from my collection - Page 3 Empty Re: Sharing Shows from my collection

Post by Gordon Johansen 9/28/2022, 7:32 pm

lasombra wrote:Electric Theater 11-21-48 Sobbin' Women

I was thrown out of the break room of my Walmart yesterday. They asked me what I was doing there. I told them I was on a break. They said you don't work here. I said I'd just finished using the self checkout so clearly I do.

This is funny because it's true. I seldom use those self-checkouts because I like to keep people employed. They also are always much slower for me.

Gordon Johansen

CRGibson and lasombra like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 9/29/2022, 7:14 am

PLEASE SHARE WITH FRIENDS

Friday, September 30, 2022 is the 60th anniversary of “the day network radio drama died.” That’s how our hobby’s early collectors and fans pondered the meaning of this day, sixty years ago, when the final broadcasts of Suspense and Johnny Dollar were heard. How did this day arrive? Why did those collectors feel this way? And, the much less-discussed followup - what happened afterwards?

Visit this website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to learn more about the day with some recordings and some history… and hear a special podcast with actor and radio drama advocate Craig Wichman and collector Joe Webb as they discuss the significance of what happened 60 years ago, what it meant - and the great deal that has happened since. The podcast is also available directly at Soundcloud [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

CRGibson, artatoldotr, bojim1, kdmarket and Gordon Johansen like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordon Johansen 9/29/2022, 11:56 am

Thanks for posting that link Greybelt. CBS Mystery Theatre was indeed my earliest introduction to radio theatre. I have no idea how many episodes I listened to but I'm sure it is the reason I now fall asleep at night easily as soon as I put on a radio show. Even if I wake up in the middle of the night. I just restart the one I fell asleep to earlier and I'm out in 5 minutes again.

Gordon Johansen

otrhead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 9/29/2022, 12:11 pm

Mind Your Manners 50-09-09 How Can You Tell A Wolf From A Regular Boy

Oceanography is all about current events.

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, bojim1, RadioWisconsin, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Gordon Johansen and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 9/29/2022, 5:23 pm

Joe, it was a pleasure to be with you, and to help build a case in the interview and on the page.

As I've gotten deeper into OTR/MAD fandom over the decades, I've found many fans to hold a truly quixotic position: that nothing has been done in America since that dark date!

That contention seemed passing strange to me - because like Gordon, even in the farmlands of Ohio I'd heard CBSRMT. And STAR WARS. And LOTR. And much else... Then, when as a NY actor I was blessed to meet and stand at mic with folks who had done the "old" work, I began to feel it a real insult to them, when their "new" efforts were trashed - or simply brushed off.

I hope this project generates discussion, widens interest - and leads more ears to more worthy sounds!

Best,
- Craig

wich2

Jim9, Gordon Johansen and g87 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/1/2022, 10:57 am

Sherlock Holmes - 1948-09-12 - 'Case of the Unwelcome Ambassador'

First Mouse: I finally got that scientist trained.
Second Mouse: How so?
First Mouse: Every time I go through the maze and ring the bell, he gives me something to eat.

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, bojim1, RadioWisconsin, kdmarket, Gordon Johansen, Rearle1 and g87 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 10/1/2022, 12:27 pm

That joke is quite similar to this one...

A kid's uncle would play a game every holiday in front of other family members. He'd put a dime and a nickel in his hand, and ask the kid to pick. He'd always pick the nickel. Another uncle saw this, pulled the kid aside and whispered "pick the dime... it's worth twice as much as a nickel." The kid whispered back, "I know, but if I pick the dime, he'll stop playing."

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, CRGibson, lasombra, otrhead, Gordon Johansen, Rearle1 and g87 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 10/1/2022, 5:45 pm

Sunday, October 2, 2022 is the 60th anniversary of the sudden passing of Frank Lovejoy at age 50. He had a great career on stage, movies, television. His radio work was among the craft's best. A retrospective of his life and work is available on YouTube [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The presentation was made by researchers Don Ramlow and Karl Schadow and Joe Webb at the 2021 Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia convention. The discussion includes production details about one of radio's most exceptional series, Night Beat, where Frank starred as reporter Randy Stone. The site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] includes many other resources and links to radio, TV, and film appearances as well as those of his wife, Joan Banks Lovejoy.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, bojim1, Gordon Johansen and g87 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/2/2022, 10:01 am

Curtain Time 38-12-02 Inside the Line

Saw a lad standing on one leg at an ATM.
Confused, I asked him what he was doing.
He was just checking his balance.

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, otrhead and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/3/2022, 12:03 pm

Terry and the Pirates 46-09-02

Marriage Counselor: Your wife says you never buy her flowers. Is that true?
Me: To be honest, I never knew she sold flowers.

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, otrhead, Gordon Johansen and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wich2 10/3/2022, 12:27 pm

JUDGE: Young man, this young lady says that you tried to molest her. You are entering a plea of Insanity?

MAN: Yes, your honor - she was driving me CRAZY!

- Craig

P.S. - Now, howzabout that Podcast of Dr. Joe's?

wich2

Jim9, CRGibson and Rearle1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/4/2022, 9:31 am

An American In England 42-08-31 Ep 05 The Yanks Are Here

Tourist: "The flies are awfully thick around here. Don’t you ever shoo them?"
Native: "Nope, we just let them go barefoot."

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, otrhead, Gordon Johansen and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/6/2022, 5:57 pm

Horace Heidt's Highlights #audition 1-1-1945 w Horace Heidt and the Musical Knights

On the way to lunch, a teacher spotted two boys playfully fighting. She asked one of the boys to go to the back of the line but he came back a minute later.
”Why aren't you at the end of the line?" asked the teacher.
The boy replied, "I couldn't, someone was already there."

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, RadioWisconsin, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, otrhead and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/7/2022, 10:52 am

Club Hollywood 4-30-1948 Stars Rose Marie

Why do you have to "put your two cents in" . . . but it’s only a "penny for your thoughts"? Where's that extra penny going?

lasombra

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 10/7/2022, 5:33 pm

Fleischmann's Yeast Hour 1933-06-15 191 The Twelve Pound Look w Ethel Barrymore.mp3

Royal Gelatin Hour 1937-08-12 54 w Red Skelton.mp3

fix it

Last edited by kdmarket on 10/9/2022, 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
kdmarket
kdmarket

Jim9, CRGibson, bojim1, RadioWisconsin, shadowsmom, lasombra, otrhead and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/8/2022, 4:26 pm

Majestic Theater of the Air 320510 Ep53

What was the name of the first electricity detective?
Sherlock Ohms!

lasombra

Back to top Go down

Post by soorhands 10/9/2022, 12:14 pm

kdmarket,  you may have to re-upload your Royal Gelatin Hour program, 1937-08-12, because when you click on it, you receive the message, " 8031 Link has reached daily download limit. Contact link owner or upgrade account to get unlimited downloads."

soorhands

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/9/2022, 1:53 pm

Leonidas Witherall 440604 Ep001 Dead Man In the Closet

Q: What Is Heavier- Water Or Butane?
A: Water--Butane Is A Lighter Fluid.

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Wildcat44, duhar and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 10/9/2022, 7:48 pm

HILDEGARDE'S RADIO ROOM 1945-02-20 W STU ERWIN & SHIRLEY BOOTH AFRS

HILDEGARDE'S RADIO ROOM 1945-10-02 W GEORGE JESSELL & BILL STERN AFRS 6

kdmarket
kdmarket

Jim9, CRGibson, shadowsmom, lasombra, Gordon Johansen, duhar, Rearle1 and g87 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/11/2022, 8:34 pm

Guy Lombardo Show xx-xx-xx 1st song A Cow, a Plow and a Frau

Just bought a head of lettuce. Should I throw it out now or wait two weeks like I usually do?

lasombra

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 10/13/2022, 10:08 am

AMOS & ANDY DENTAL PROMO

AMOS & ANDY 1955-01-02

AMOS & ANDY 1955-01-09

kdmarket
kdmarket

Jim9, CRGibson, RadioWisconsin, shadowsmom, otrhead, Gordon Johansen, Rearle1 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 10/14/2022, 7:21 am

One of the first big-budget radio documentaries about a social subject was CBS' The Eagle's Brood. It was about juvenile delinquency and set the standard for documentaries, even into the television era.

Time magazine of March 17, 1947 has excellent background about the program.

You can hear the program at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This information was also posted on the Suspense thread as part of some comments about the latest nice recordings of Donovan's Brain.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, bojim1, RadioWisconsin, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Gordon Johansen, duhar and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 10/15/2022, 1:16 pm

Quiet Please 471124 Ep025 In Memory Of Bernadine

Started to write a book about hurricanes, but it was just a draft.

lasombra

Jim9, CRGibson, kdmarket, shadowsmom, otrhead, Gordon Johansen, duhar and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 10/16/2022, 7:21 am

I've been concerned that we have not heard from Toebig for a while. He has not posted since July and had not checked into Cobalt since September. I got in touch with a mutual acquaintance and they spoke to Tom and he sounds good. He used to do his posts with Carolyn, even when she was so ill, and since she passed away in March, he has not been as active OTR-wise. Folks from his church are still checking up on him and keeping him active.

Perhaps some Cobaltians would like to send him something for the holidays. If you'd like to kick-in to such an endeavor, please send me a private message and we'll figure out what we can do together.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, CRGibson, bojim1, shadowsmom, Gordon Johansen, duhar, Rearle1 and g87 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 38 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20 ... 38  Next