The Cobalt Club Annex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suspense Upgrades

+16
nickp57
chasedad
lasombra
artatoldotr
greybelt
Gordon Johansen
Harlow Wilcox
bojim1
Seamus
Wildcat44
Larynxa
otrhead
mjnunes84
Tom-In-Ohio
ghemrats
kdmarket
20 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 Empty Re: Suspense Upgrades

Post by greybelt 8/3/2021, 7:37 am

I have not even had a chance to present the question to my "OTR voice expert" yet, but Keith Scott has weighed in. Keith is a voice actor but also an impressionist, and he sent this note on FB to me:

I'm inclined to agree with your Cobalt colleague. I listened to two shows, one with Ted Osborne and another with Reynold Osborn and they sound highly similar. I'm mainly used to his voice from the DR. KILDARE shows. I hope some confirmation about his name change surfaces at some point but at this point I'd be happy to concur. And in some Radio Artist casting books Ted also spelled Osborn without the final "e."

The Bucks County play seems like it was just a bunch of supporting actors from New York who just enjoyed working together so much they got involved with this play to enjoy each others' company doing something they loved. Every NY actor I interviewed in the 1970s said they loved radio but they really loved theater whenever they could do it. Radio acting and theatrical production together kept them sharp and gave them an edge in auditions.

Will keep you posted!

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, chasedad and Kestanley like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 8/3/2021, 8:19 am

Today's recording is an upgrade of a file posted 2+ years ago. The spelling has also been corrected - it's one word, based on all the sources I have found, even if "mantrap" looks funny.

Suspense_1961-11-26_Mantrap_wDonMcLaughlin NETWORK UPGRADE-7.mp3
Degoo [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
hubiC [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

An AFRS recording was posted about 8 years ago
Suspense_1961-11-26_Mantrap_wDonMcLaughlin AFRTS#857 FROM DISC.mp3
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This script was originally written for Inner Sanctum, 1950-12-18, Murder by Consent

A newspaper clipping was posted previously; these are new...

1961-11-26 Wichita KS Eagle
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1961-128

1961-11-26 Miami FL Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1961-127

1961-11-26 Tampa Bay FL Times
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1961-126

1961-11-26 Rochester NY Democrat & Chronicle
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1961-125

The Joe Hehn Memorial Collection history, recordings, radio scripts, and other items [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, otrhead, Rearle1 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 8/3/2021, 9:49 am

Thanks greybelt
Best regards

Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 8/4/2021, 5:52 am

Today's recording was last updated 3+ years ago.

Suspense_1961-12-03_LuckOfTheTigerEye_wLJanney&JLorring NETWORK UPGRADE-6.mp3

8+ years ago an AFRS recording became available.
Suspense_1961-12-03_LuckOfTheTigerEye_wLJanney&JLorring AFRTS#858 FROM DISC.mp3
Degoo only [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No newspaper clippings can be found. Sad

The Hehn OTR Fanzines page is up!! These newsletters were the lifeline for collecting in those early days. Some of these have not been available before. One of the curiosities was the Indiana Recording Club which covered more than OTR but just home recording in general.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, otrhead, Rearle1 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 8/4/2021, 10:13 am

Thanks greybelt

Best regards
Art
artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 8/5/2021, 12:21 pm

Today's episode includes "Reynold Osborn" whom we believe more strongly is really Ted Osborne.

Suspense_1961-12-31_TheOldMan_wLJanney&ROsbourn UPGRADE-2.mp3

No newspaper clippings can be found.

The Bucks County Playhouse production mentioned previously as including Reynold Obsorn, When the Beer Goes National, whom we believe is Ted, also included Paul McGrath of Inner Sanctum. More details are in these clippings.

The co-star, Frances Reid, was also on radio, in Portia Faces Life. Just three years later would be in the brand new soap opera Days of Our Lives, and have that role for 42 years! Here's a list of longest-running actors in soap opera roles -- many from radio's golden age.

1962-07-19 Perkasie PA News Herald
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-045

1962-07-21 NY Daily News News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-044

1962-07-21 Philadelphia PA News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-043

1962-07-22 Central NJ Home News

Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-042

1962-07-29 Allentown PA Morning Call
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-041

1962-07-29 Allentown PA Morning Call
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-040

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, shadowsmom, Rearle1, chasedad and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 8/6/2021, 3:44 am

Today's episode upgrades an AFRS recording. Readick is back behind the microphone after his sudden exit for medical issues from YTJD in June 1961. Readick is on Suspense regularly to the end.

Suspense_1962-01-28_PleaseBelieveMe_wJLorring&RReadick AFRS UPGRADE.mp3

A reprocessed network version was posted 2+ years ago
Suspense_1962-01-28_PleaseBelieveMe_wJLorring&RReadick UPGRADE PROCFINAL.mp3

Newspaper clippings posted previously; this is new...

1962-01-28 Corpus Christi TX Caller-Times
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-046

Got this note from radio researcher (and voice expert) Karl Schadow
After listening to all of the episodes that were provided, Reynold Osborn IS Ted Osborne. Reason he used that name is unknown... Have seen his signature as Theodore Osborn with surname spelled w/o the 'e' Moreover, somewhere I saw his name listed as Theodore R. Osborn. Will try to locate this reference.

If Karl sends any documentation I will send it along...

Yesterday I wrote to Bucks County Playhouse... hopefully they have some historical document in the dark, dusty archives...

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, Rearle1, chasedad, Kestanley and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kdmarket 8/6/2021, 5:24 pm

was there a suspense show called the hand from 1960
kdmarket
kdmarket

Back to top Go down

Post by soorhands 8/6/2021, 6:57 pm

For most of the downloads on Degoo posted this week, on 2 different browsers, the message "Unable to download file. Please try again." pops up.

soorhands

bojim1 and nickp57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bojim1 8/7/2021, 12:43 am

Soorhands....If you have Firefox you can download it using Download Helper. I've gotten the same message

bojim1

soorhands likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 8/7/2021, 8:10 am

Some notes:

Firefox is at version 90.0.2. The ".2" fixed some quirky things that were happening and came out quickly. I regularly test Degoo on Firefox and Brave (Chromium is its base). When I was testing the security suite that DuckDuckGo was pushing, my download experiences turned bad -- pCloud pages wouldn't even render so I couldn't access my files! So be sure to check if there have been any changes in setting that some software makes when updating when these things happen. Degoo was a little buggy when it came to market but I have found it more reliable these past months.

The Hand was written by Mel Dinelli as a movie script. He sold it and it was never made. He adapted it for occasional girlfriend (when she was between marriages) Joan Crawford for Suspense. It was promoted for her upcoming performance on the series in 1949...

1949-05-01 Sioux City IA Journal
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1949-249

But what's written on the script cover?
"Unused - sponsor objections"

Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 Cover_14

The story is more like an Inner Sanctum script with obsession over a severed hand, with the complications of mental illness and drug addiction. Auto-Lite didn't like that, and the big car crash that sets the story in motion probably did not go over well either. So they delayed her appearance for a week and pulled a prior Dinelli script out of the files for her appearance, redoing A Tale of Two Sisters from 1945 with a new title, The Ten Years.

Copies of the script floated around the hobby for years and a recreation was done in 2019.
Mike Wheeler, who did the recreation was educated as a lawyer and found the courtroom ending to be implausible, so he changed it. We discuss it at our interview [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There was an earlier production in the 1960s that I have been trying to get more details about. I had seen it in catalogs that were really old, but not in current collections. I believe it originated in San Francisco with a group of broadcast pros, likely to include Dave Amaral and possibly KCBS announcer Frank Knight, and others. They were working on broadcast recreations of Sam Spade and also Suspense; those are still around the hobby. But again, I'm not sure if The Hand was their work. The recording that has resurfaced this past year or so, from these older collections, was not the best. It's been cleaned up for clarity. I am not sure it ever made it to the air, but here it is...

Today's recording is one of those clipped open versions from this era that sounds better than the complete recording. This is where I remind people of the benefit of being a "completist" in that you keep all the versions of recordings... so you never have to face the difficult choices and trade-offs involved in keeping only one Smile  

Suspense_1962-02-18_OldBoyfriend_wEEric&JJulian (cl open no commls).mp3

About 4 years ago this WROW version was posted
Suspense_1962-02-18_OldBoyfriend_wEEric&JJulian UPGRADE WROW

Originally scheduled for August 20, 1961!
1961-08-20 Lubbock TX Avalanche-Journal
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1961-027

1961-08-20 Tampa Bay FL Times
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1961-028

Newspaper clippings were posted previously for this broadcast date; this is new...

1962-02-18 Bridgeport CT Post
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-047

Tomorrow's post will be the last for about a week as we take a welcome break for some minor league baseball and some days in the mountains... When the posts begin again, there are still some late Suspense episodes to be posted. That won't take many days... then we go back to the beginning of the series and work our way through new upgrades once more... some of which have not had sound improvements for many many years.

If you're going to the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention,
I will get there on Friday afternoon. At 7pm there is a SPERDVAC presentation I will be doing with film expert Bob Tevis about what's going on and what's ahead for the organization in its new initiatives and new member benefits. And we'll have a video of a presentation of one of Bob's scripts that starred MANC guest Tony Dow. Yes, Wally and "the Beav" are the big guests for the convention.
Then on the Saturday morning, always focused on OTR presentations and recreations, there will be a presentation on Frank Lovejoy's career by Don Ramlow, Karl Schadow, and yours truly. It has been fascinating working with them on it.
The convention hotel has been sold out for months but there are still rooms at nearby ones.

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, kdmarket, Rearle1, chasedad, Kestanley, eliyahusimlevin and nickp57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by artatoldotr 8/7/2021, 12:22 pm

Thanks greybelt

Best regards

Art

artatoldotr
artatoldotr

Back to top Go down

Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 Empty Download issues

Post by nickp57 8/7/2021, 1:50 pm

Yeah, I'm having the same issues with Degoo on both Chrome and Safari.

soorhands wrote:For most of the downloads on Degoo posted this week, on 2 different browsers, the message "Unable to download file. Please try again." pops up.

nickp57

lasombra and Kestanley like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 8/7/2021, 4:11 pm

I have submitted a support request to Degoo. Will keep you posted. hubiC is working fine, so that is the best choice for now. The files are playing in Degoo, which is strange....

greybelt
greybelt

bojim1 and nickp57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by greybelt 8/8/2021, 9:42 am

This is my last post as we head for a brief vacation, back at the end of the week.

This first episode is a new AFRTS version of Bill Robson's dig at the caricature of Joe McCarthy as an alcoholic on a rampage of crazy ideas. It only seems like a father calling around to see where his daughter is, tying up the phone as he pours his next drink to get him through his panic and his crazy ideas, and it turns out it was all in his head. It was not until decades later with the release of the Venona papers and other items from the KGB that the extent of the activity was starting to be understood (this might be very brief but interesting background [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The blacklist information on the Suspense research page may be interesting in regards to Robson's plight. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  I checked there this morning and the YouTube link I had to some of the Army-McCarthy hearings is now dead, but I'm sure there is plenty that can be found on YouTube.

Where Nobody Ever Quits / Night on Red Mountain was a personal story of Robson's CBS blacklisting despite a long record of patriotic broadcasts like Man Behind the Gun and many others. Date Night takes aim at the easy target of Joe McCarthy, even though Robson's problems started a few years before in the House investigations and the publication of Red Channels.

The most fascinating document that gives insight into Robson's ordeal is his letter to Murrow. I made a poster of it that I bring for people to see at events [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  It's an incredible resource. The Suspense blacklist page has some background on Robson's statements and references to people in the letter. Things got better for Robson when Paley sent Daniel O'Shea (whom Elliott Lewis called "the vice president of treason") packing. Paley walked down both sides of the street in those times... it was he and Murrow who wrote the CBS loyalty test that was used to placate scared advertisers. It was O'Shea who had some kind of particular dislike for Robson, and we may never know what it was. But once O'Shea was gone, Robson was back.

But even without all this Scare-era background of those very confusing times, Date Night is a good story just on its basics. My rough count is that nine new scripts by Robson were done after the move back to New York. I think this is the best of those nine. Robson could not get his digs in unless it was a good script. And it was so subtle, that the number of people who actually knew what he was doing may have been limited to just him alone for a while! But we figured it out just 55+ years later....

Suspense_1962-02-25_Date_Night_wRosemaryRice AFRTS#914.mp3

A network version was posted about 9 years ago
Icedrive [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Newspaper clippings posted previously; these are new...

1962-02-25 Boston MA Globe
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-050

1962-02-25 Sacramento CA Bee
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-049

1962-02-25 Wichita KS Eagle
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-048

I was allowed to listen to a tape of a 1970s private discussion with Robson about his times... and he said he was glad to have gone through it all because he would never have been appointed to head Voice of America under JFK if he hadn't. He had reconciled it all as part of the journey.

Suspense_1962-04-01_YouDiedLastNight_wSOrtega&RReadick UPGRADE-4.mp3

1962-03-31 Indianapolis IN News
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-052

Suspense_1962-04-08_LetThereBeLight_wIvorFrancis UPGRADE-3.mp3

Ivor Francis' daughter, Genie Francis, became famous on the ABC TV soap opera, General Hospital. Hard to believe she's turning 60. It seems like Luke and Laura got married just yesterday...

1962-04-08 Rochester Democrat & Chronicle
Suspense Upgrades - Page 40 1962-051

greybelt
greybelt

Jim9, mjnunes84, bojim1, kdmarket, lasombra, otrhead, Rearle1 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lasombra 8/8/2021, 12:24 pm

ONE(!) Degoo link worked! Date Night AFRTS.

-------

lasombra

greybelt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40